Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Does it actually pulse?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    No, but it does illuminate the darkness of space and matches with my lasers.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    The Holo Me makes me anxious, because I never thought of my captain as a character and now I have to think of one. If I make it look like me it's a white guy with a beard. Everyone who plays this game is a white guy with a beard. I don't feel like I can make black characters in games any more after watching Get Out. So far I've just stuck with the opaque helmet.

Regarding the rewards, I agree they need to be buffed (and I think they will). I do think that some of the wailing about it is getting to be over the top. Sure a noob can make better money taking potshots at anacondas before they explode, but that's tedious, semi-exploity bullshit. This is pew pewing in an awesome spaceship with your friends. Not everything needs to be the most efficient way of making credits to be worthwhile fun, I think the fanbase loses track of that.

I'm sticking with the black helmet because my character is a robot Daft Punk super fan.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Black helmet on all the time for me, too. I stuffed some gaunt looking motherfucker in there to scare anyone who takes it off his corpse.

I had a good time in my Diamondback Scout today! I hit a high-intensity conflict zone and zipped around with my beams and pack hounds. The pack hounds do a pretty serviceable job of scrapping hull and modules.

Extra amusing is that when I deploy hardpoints it goes into emergency life support. It can be a little difficult to determine exactly where the fuck-off huge plasma accelerator rounds that just flatlined my shields are coming from when I can't hear my cockpit speakers.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    I also just went with a black opaque helmet. Maybe I'll play around with the character creator later, but it's not really something that appeals to me in this game for some reason.

I was pretty sceptical about the approach that Frontier took with multicrew, I felt that jumping into someones ship would feel strange and disconnected. However, just had a nice session with two other other commanders where I and another commander flew the fighters in the third ones corvette, and the experience of being somewhere else entirely and taking on a role that is different from what you usually do in game was pretty nice. We had a nice mini-story where we shot some ships and went looking for good bounty-hunting sites in several systems, and the experience of NOT being who decided what was going to happen was quite nice for a change. It is very relaxing not having to make your own story in the game for once :)

Of course, that all ended when the game crashed on me, but I expect that Frontier will be busy patching in the coming days!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This one needs emergency patching more than most.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This one needs emergency patching more than most.

Yeah, there's a pretty aggravating UI bug where mouse over options aren't popping up for 4k resolutions and some other users at lower resolutions are reporting it to. If I want to use the galaxy map I have to set my resolution to 1080 and it makes the game look like shit.

The good news is my shiny new Asp Explorer is proving to be a damn fine space taxi already. I got it put together and then flew off to my one unlocked engineer to be ready when I get back from work to see how that all works.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I hear they nerfed long haul passenger missions a bit, but I don't know how much by. That makes me a little sad, I think they had good credit to effort ratios considering the time they take.

• Options
    I get the fiddly mouse at 1440p, so yeah, something in the UI is off kilter.

Passenger missions may be nerfed a little, but I've read that exploration payouts have been increased.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So I was fiddlin' with Reshade, right, and I ended up in Sin City.
    FXGcKqp.png
    Disneyland was pretty okay, too.
    uojIs6j.png
    http://imgur.com/a/mwsfP

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    FXGcKqp.png
    uojIs6j.png

Hmm, if you can set that up as a toggle, I'd definitely be interested in goofing around with it.

Multi-Crew went pretty well tonight. I had one friend (fairly experienced) running a fighter, with another buddy flipping between gunner and fighter role. He's new (flying an E rated Cobra MK III), so it was neat to show him what flying in an Anaconda is like. I need to eventually get my friends enough money, and then maybe they can buy a big enough ship that I can try the gunner/SLF pilot roles a bit more in depth.

I always liked the SLF piloting, but at the same time I don't really trust the AI to not get the mothership blown up.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh yeah, everything can be toggled on the fly. From the look of Reshade 3.0's ui, it seems to me you can even set hotkeys for individual shaders.

Here, I played with the glowy settings:

http://imgur.com/a/UCQoy

A little bit much on stars but I'm having fun.

In retrospect, naming my DBS, "Salubrious Gardenia," was not my finest moment. I now identify it as such. That's its name. And I'm pretty sure my short hop 700 m/s boosting Courier is named, "Competent Dromedary."

I have yet to name the Asp.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    So right now the biggest thing keeping me from multicrew with pubs is that I've confirmed that
    A. You can't keep utilities for the helm
    B. Gunner always has full control of hardpoints, including deply/undeploy

The griefing potential of A is pretty big and B is monumental. Any random I let onto the ship can simply deploy hardpoints and start cheerily shooting the station, or (as happened to me) simply refuse to let you undeploy to flee a bad situation whether through malice or incompetence. That's enough to leave me on the Friends Only side of things until those are changed.

• Options
    That's p. bad.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    But would you really want to let randoms on your really nice expensive fancy ship in the first place?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sure! So they can compare their lives to mine and then kill themselves.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I had a friend im the gunner slot and he kept accidentally shooting the police. I need to go to lawless systems or something.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I had a friend im the gunner slot and he kept accidentally shooting the police. I need to go to lawless systems or something.

Nah, just go to Haz Res zones. You'll still get wanted for them shooting before a scan is complete, but there (shouldn't) be any cops to show up and take pot shots at you.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Yeah haz res is a lot better. No kill stealing.

• Options
    I don't want to get wanted and then have to jump out and wait ten minutes to jump back in.

• Options
    There's no cops at has rez

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    FXGcKqp.png
    uojIs6j.png

Hmm, if you can set that up as a toggle, I'd definitely be interested in goofing around with it.

Multi-Crew went pretty well tonight. I had one friend (fairly experienced) running a fighter, with another buddy flipping between gunner and fighter role. He's new (flying an E rated Cobra MK III), so it was neat to show him what flying in an Anaconda is like. I need to eventually get my friends enough money, and then maybe they can buy a big enough ship that I can try the gunner/SLF pilot roles a bit more in depth.

I always liked the SLF piloting, but at the same time I don't really trust the AI to not get the mothership blown up.

It's pretty safe if you go to like CZs and park it 12-18k from the center and tell them to stay put.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't want to get wanted and then have to jump out and wait ten minutes to jump back in.

Speaking as someone with 50 mil or so in legacy fines/bounties - it's not that big a deal. Just have to watch where you are docking.

• Options
    There's no cops at has rez

yeah but if you shoot people you haven't scanned don't you still get tagged for assault?

• Options
    I think I saw a response from Frontier that you can at least disable the gunnery position? Probably more fun to fly the fighter anyway, at least I think so.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    This fucking game.

So i went to pick up some meta-alloy, to start the engineer grind.

on the way back i dropped out of a hyper-jump and was instantly 'too close to the sun' even though i immediately aimed away from it... Okay fine. i'll fucking go around it. Nope. no matter how far i pull away i keep over-heating... i finally say 'fuck it' and just do the jump, i align before going into 'dangerous' levels of heat, and it just refuses to jump. says i have to 'align to jump point' or whatever.

Okay, fine, i'll just go into cruise speed out. Nope, can't lock anything in system, haven't discovered anything, even though i have a fucking advanced discovery sensor that i used.

Okay, cool. i'll fly even further away from the sun and align again. Still over-heating, once again say 'fuck it' and go for the jump. it works this time! yay!

Apart from that my cargo hatch malfunctions, losing the cargo.

Fucking extreme levels of salt right now.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    That sounds like a bug, what was the star that made you drop? Did you throttle down while still in hyper-space? Is your build really heat-sensitive? I've flown some ships where no matter what you do, you WILL overheat when jumping, although if you haven't done any engineering yet that seems unlikely. Oh, and you don't have to have anything locked to go into supercruise, just bind a button specifically for entering supercruise (some systems have no other bodies other than the main star).

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Never ever ever ever ever ever use the context sensitive FTL button. It will get you killed at an inopportune time because it is dumb like that sometimes.

Distinctly separate supercruise and high wake buttons are your friends.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Finally loaded this game up after who knows how long (since before Horizons I believe). Managed to undock, fly around, scoop some fuel, then tried to land on a planet. Found out I needed to buy the thing to hold the space car, then buy the space car too. Did all that, then managed to fly back and land, then drove around for awhile. The driving is pretty damn fun!

Using the Steam controller is pretty great too. Only things I had to change was turning off the yaw while also rolling with the left thumbstick, and then putting yaw on the back two buttons. I still gotta use the keyboard for stuff like landing gear, friendship drive, cargo scoop, stuff like that, but for actually flying I think most everything I'd use is right there on the controller. I haven't had any issues using the maps either, so I think I'm set to get back into this for shenanigans.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Sure! So they can compare their lives to mine and then kill themselves.

Of course, griefing is an integral part of that experience.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Never ever ever ever ever ever use the context sensitive FTL button. It will get you killed at an inopportune time because it is dumb like that sometimes.

Distinctly separate supercruise and high wake buttons are your friends.

Yeah, at least having supercruise bound somewhere is handy. There's no need to faff about with targeting if you just want to zip around the system.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, all you really need is supercruise bound somewhere. Context sensitive is fine 95% of the time

• Options
    So having a dig at the passenger missions now...any pointers? Business better than economy?

Also any guides on how to travel huge distances? Say getting to colonia and what's required? I figured a asp explorer but haven't really messed with 2.2 new stars that give FSD boost.

• Options
    So having a dig at the passenger missions now...any pointers? Business better than economy?

Also any guides on how to travel huge distances? Say getting to colonia and what's required? I figured a asp explorer but haven't really messed with 2.2 new stars that give FSD boost.

A fuel scoop and a clear calendar.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Apparently there's a bug right now where using an automatic field repairer to fix an advanced discovery scanner renders the ADS totally unusable until you can get back to a station and re-equip the ADS. So yeah, be super careful if you go exploring right now.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Step 1 is upgrading your FSD. There are two engineers that can give you rank 5 upgrades. Felicity Farseer and Martook.

You can also try engineering the rest of your equipment to reduce mass,but that won't have as dramatic of an effect as improving your FSD.

Neutron stars give the big boost. There is one within the bubble that you can use to practice. "Jackson's Lighthouse. " Approach from an angle that takes you from the center and moves you out and away from neutron star. The opposite can lead to death.

White Dwarfs give a much smaller boost.

You can also use materials to boost your FSD for individual jumps, but I find it awkward plotting routes with those. Personally I view "jumponium" as a niche tool for solving specific situations rather than something that you use all of the time. Jumponoium does not stack with neutron stars.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

I'd wait until the ADS bug is fixed.

Tricks!
    Pimp out your jump range as much as possible
    Take a skeleton loadout. 1d power distributor, the lightest shields you can get away with, the lightest thrusters (go down as many sizes as you can) etc
    Turn off all non essential functions once you're out of the bubble to save heat
    Your biggest compartment should be your fuel scoop
    A detailed discovery scanner will pay off. Only scan neutron stars.
    Honk every system (with an ADS) for extra cash
    Set your filter to star classes K G B F O A M and the non classes (that cover neutron stars).
    If you want to be fancy, set half of those filters. Then bookmark the 1k waypoints on your trip. On the return, turn off that half and enable the other. This guarantees new systems on the return
    Take an AFM. Only use it when you have to. You don't want to be stuck unable to repair your canopy because you repaired your power distributor or something
    Don't crash into stars. Hull damage will fail the mission eventually.
    Don't make any stops at stations. Get scanned 3 times and you're done. That gives you one on the way out and one on the way in.
    If you want to be really cautios, take a mining laser in case you need to stop off and get materials for AFM fuel
    Queue up as many missions to the same place (or close by) as you can

That's about it. Get a good audio book.

• Options
    Thanks, for the info. I'll play around and see what I can do. As much as I've played elite, just really would like to try and explore a bit more of the galaxy.

If I can figure out how to navigate long distances then technically there is no where I can't get too except for areas I don't have permits for.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Here ya go, The Hurt Highway will get you where you need to be in no time at all.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Apparently there's a bug right now where using an automatic field repairer to fix an advanced discovery scanner renders the ADS totally unusable until you can get back to a station and re-equip the ADS. So yeah, be super careful if you go exploring right now.

It apparently fixes if you log out and log back in.

5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.