As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm getting tons of matchmaking server errors today. I'm not trying to multi-crew or wing, I'm just flying around (even in single player).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's on my end or not.

[edit] Momentary blip, I guess. Seems to be working well now.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm getting back into this in a good way.

Going to passively hand in all the donation missions I can for imperial rank and might even get back into powerplay since you don't just get ganked by 80 ships on each jump now.

Convinced several friends to join up on my crew. They seem to enjoy piloting fighters more than manning the guns. One lamented that he couldn't get missiles and stuff on the fighter. Trying to sell him on the idea of just flying an eagle and mounting a missile launcher to it since that's just a souped up fighter that costs almost nothing. Now that they can move their stuff and it's easier to get them up to speed I am hoping it maintains some interest for a while.

Oh and wings all getting 100% of bounties is fantastic.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Ok got my Windows partition put back together, and this is reinstalling. Anything cool happening right now that'd be a good activity for knocking off the rust and making some credits? Any decent hauling CGs or whatever?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    servers blow today. My first day back.

I have a 100k and a viper IV

How do i make money..... I been doing piddling trade routes with my 24 unit capacity

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    edit: nothing to see here

Shogun on
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »
    Ok got my Windows partition put back together, and this is reinstalling. Anything cool happening right now that'd be a good activity for knocking off the rust and making some credits? Any decent hauling CGs or whatever?

You could try randomly joining a multi crew. Being a gunner is fun, but probably won't knock much dust off. If you can get into a fighter, that should be pretty sweet. I saw there was a hauling CG going on, but I didn't pay much attention to it because it's not really my bag. It's there, though. Something about supporting the utopians out in the LSD cluster they have going on down there, I imagine.

@Shogun are you running a 4k resolution? I read somewhere that the galaxy map is having issues for people. If you want to go to a system, and you know the name, you can just type in the system name via the left hand panel and lock on it that way. The semi circle thing I don't know about.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    this can all be ignored i'm just gonna uninstall the game. Now I can't even load into the station before the game crashes with the direct 3d buffer error

Shogun on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I picked up the pc version on sale and am going to have a windows partition ready in a few days. Gonna get back into this PC side.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Finally hopped into multicrew tonite. Flew a fighter for a little over 90 minutes. Fun! Beam fighters are the way and the light.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    this can all be ignored i'm just gonna uninstall the game. Now I can't even load into the station before the game crashes with the direct 3d buffer error

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, if you feel up to it you can try again in a couple weeks maybe? I've never seen the game as crash prone and buggy as it is right now, I hope they get a patch out as soon as possible.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Oh, if you're flying a fighter in VR, do this:
    Scrunch down as low in your seat as you can. Recenter the view. Sit up comfortably.
    Now you can see out the goddamn side windows.

Seriously, all the fighters, the vulture, the courier... Why are the seats mounted so low? Who thought that was a good idea?

Zerocz on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Probably Sandro....

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    So i found a groove. doing missions vs my piddling trade. Lots more cash.... can get this viper as tanking as she should be for bounty hunting....

If theres anyone up for some coop let me know. I think ima make some sort of smuggling/passenger ship.... if i can figure that out.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    My home base is in Okinura (close to Sol). If anyone ever wants to wing up, just hit me up in game. My CMDR's name is Enexemander.

I'm pretty flexible. I like to wing up and also do multi crew from both ends (I have an Anaconda with 2 SLFs and all turret mounts for gunners).

• Options
    Sent you a friend request Derrick, "Bjorna" in game.

So, after having some time to evaluate multi-crew, I must say that it is pretty fun. Jumping into a fighter is hilarious, I joined someones explora-conda far above the center of the galaxy, and even had someone join me for a mining mission in my Cobra IV. As soon as they get the crashing and bugs under control, I'd say it's a nice addition to the game. Just wish there was some functions for the others outside gunnery and flying fighters... hoping they build on what they have made and come up with more things in future releases!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Probably Sandro....

Why would that have anything to do with him?*

*This question is rhetorical. Sandro doesn't design the cockpits.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    How do I join someone else's ship? Can I jump into a rando pubbie's game? How do I keep them from joining my game if I don't feel like having them (if I even can, I just have a Diamondback Explorer)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If you look under the left-top menu (default "2" button), under the second tab there is an option to "join other ship" or something like that. If you select one of the options, you will end up someone randoms ship. To host a multicrew yourself, you can select "looking for crew" or something along those lines, also with a choice of what you are planning to do (no one will join if you don't make an active choice). Sorry, the DBX only have one seat so no multi-crew. However, even an Adder have two seats! I'm a little tempted to put a turret on it and go bounty-hunting :P

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    My home base is in Okinura (close to Sol). If anyone ever wants to wing up, just hit me up in game. My CMDR's name is Enexemander.

I'm pretty flexible. I like to wing up and also do multi crew from both ends (I have an Anaconda with 2 SLFs and all turret mounts for gunners).

oh-my-takei.gif

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    If you look under the left-top menu (default "2" button), under the second tab there is an option to "join other ship" or something like that. If you select one of the options, you will end up someone randoms ship. To host a multicrew yourself, you can select "looking for crew" or something along those lines, also with a choice of what you are planning to do (no one will join if you don't make an active choice). Sorry, the DBX only have one seat so no multi-crew. However, even an Adder have two seats! I'm a little tempted to put a turret on it and go bounty-hunting :P

I'm not interested in people on my ship anyway so that's fine with me! I think I'll try out joining other people's ships later though; just being a gunner without having to make any decisions about where to go or having to fly the ship itself sounds like it might be something I can do to relax.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Multicrew is definitely good for no-strings-attached fun times. Like your mum.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So i found a groove. doing missions vs my piddling trade. Lots more cash.... can get this viper as tanking as she should be for bounty hunting....

If theres anyone up for some coop let me know. I think ima make some sort of smuggling/passenger ship.... if i can figure that out.

If you want to make money either,

High Res, bounty hunting scanning wanted and tagging what ever the security is fighting is good money.

Type-6 hauler doing boom and cargo delivery missions is lucrative.

I have been dabbling in the passenger missions which can be very lucrative but you kind of have to pick and choose the ones with short jumps and vary differently. A Type-6 fills this role as well.

You can end up getting some that will be literally 1 jump and net 4mill. I'm not kidding.

• Options
    I have to say I've never seen the fabled one jump jackpots.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    hw47dqylt22y.jpg

I didn't believe in them either, fusang 2 days ago at Cleve.

Get a fair few at Chowei as well got one for 2 mill at Swiger Port. Rare but I'll take them when I get a chance.

The thing that gets me is rich passengers ask for stuff after you leave the station. 1 unit of clothing to make the journey more comfortable?

How many jackets do you need for a 5min trip. Geeze.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    Always makes me go "Hm....no." when they ask for several tons of alcohol, drugs and I think I got... domestic appliances once? Don't know what they were planning, but nope, not on my ship.

I regularly see trips in the range of several millions, but then it's usually 60-100 ly. I used to get 20-30 million sightseeing trips for maybe 500 ly total, but those seem to have disappeared. Probably for the best I think.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Always makes me go "Hm....no." when they ask for several tons of alcohol, drugs and I think I got... domestic appliances once? Don't know what they were planning, but nope, not on my ship.

I regularly see trips in the range of several millions, but then it's usually 60-100 ly. I used to get 20-30 million sightseeing trips for maybe 500 ly total, but those seem to have disappeared. Probably for the best I think.

They were just being considerate and cleaning up after all the drugs and alcohol.
    The thing that gets me is rich passengers ask for stuff after you leave the station. 1 unit of clothing to make the journey more comfortable?

How many jackets do you need for a 5min trip. Geeze.

Maybe if they saved some of the Gore-Tex they were giving you as a mission reward they wouldn't be so chilly.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I never give them the extra shit. If I cared enough I'd probably just keep some in cargo.

• Options
    I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been an emergency patch yet. Surely they're not waiting on another full patch cycle?

• Options
    From what I've read, a lot of things were fixed server-side. Still hoping for a quick patch of course, but I suppose lots of people just came back from easter?

This is neat, a major discovery in the Formidine rift, one of the longest running mysteries in the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aeJr5gf1_4s

• Options
    From what I've read, a lot of things were fixed server-side. Still hoping for a quick patch of course, but I suppose lots of people just came back from easter?

This is neat, a major discovery in the Formidine rift, one of the longest running mysteries in the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aeJr5gf1_4s

Obsidian Ant is seriously the David Attenborough of Elite.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thanks, now I'll be hearing/thinking everything in that voice for awhile. Just finished Planet Earth 2 a couple of weeks ago and finally had stopped doing that.

• Options
    He's wrong about the pronounciation of decals. No one says deckles, anywhere in the world. I refuse to believe it.

• Options
    Had a funny thing happen yesterday, joined a corvette in a combat zone in Thun and had some fun times in the fighter (although CZs are harsh in a fighter, many one-shots). After a while, an opposing player in a dropship showed up and the corvette commander moved in to engage. Normally, I'm very reluctant to engage in PvP, but I figured that in a CZ you are fair game, so I went along with it. The dropship quickly dis-engaged and disappeared to SC (we assumed), however... a couple of minutes later it was back!

And oh my, was it angry. I think my captain didn't take it seriously at first, but the corvettes shields were only half full, and the corvette commander made the mistake of ramming the dropship which must have been hull-tanking. Soon our shields were gone and hull dropping rapidly and we were focused by both the dropship and a number of NPCs. Made it out with 11% hull, and I think the corvette captain had some new-found respect for well-piloted smaller ships :)

• Options
    Dropships can be mean if outfitted properly and flown well. They make very good railgun (reverb)/plasma (target lock breaker) FA off ships, and as you noted, can ram the shit out of stuff.

• Options
    Voyager 2 is in the game? Holy crap

http://m.imgur.com/a/v52x2

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Voyager 2 is in the game? Holy crap

http://m.imgur.com/a/v52x2

Basically everything is in the game. They are nearly completely insane, as far as I can tell, and have devoted an entirely absurd amount of attention to "no really it's the whole galaxy no all of it", and I love them for it.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Been hanging out in the Guy system, Leclerc station. Bit of a civil war going on between two of the minor groups. I've been working with the Fed aligned group and the nearby High Intensity Conflict zone has a Fed Capital Ship in it. It is awesome.

I've been making stupid money here. Will be sad when the civil war ends.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I really want to be in one of those conflict zones where capital ships warp in on both sides

• Options
    Some concept art here I haven't seen before, I like the crashed Python:

https://artstation.com/artwork/gydgP

• Options
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/345865-Changes-Coming-to-Multi-crew

multicrew payouts to recieve a buff! the captian also gets a 25% off rebuy buff per crewmate should things go south.

This is good.

This discussion has been closed.