As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So with the update can you permanent waypoint a star system so you can always get back to it?
    I believe that once you set up a base you can teleport back to it from any station (and then maybe back to that station?). Other than that, I'm not sure.
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Is the goal with Survival Mode to "get to the center" or is it just to see how long you'll last?
    It's pretty much the base game but with higher resource requirements/faster death/etc. You lose what you were carrying when you die and some stuff breaks, but otherwise you just respawn at your last save location I think. I don't think it'll stay very difficult long after having gotten to the ship, but I've only just set up a base so I'm not certain yet.
    Radiation wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get the haz-mat gloves and advanced laser blueprints?
    At least one of the new guys sitting in stations starts a "quest" chain related to building bases; maybe they're part of that?

Yeah working on that now. I need some Sp element thing for my science section (which I haven't found). Makes sense that it might be tied to that chain though. I guess I'll try the next system for that element.
    If that's a mine-able deposit type element, you can now point your ship at a planet, do a scan, and see what's available on it. Not recognizing the symbol, though.
    bsjezz wrote: »
    So are planets different in survival? I know the environment is harsher but do those harsh environmental changes show in the worlds themselves? The video in the spoiler looked like the atmosphere was all sorts of fucked up which was cool, just curious about that.

I restarted my normal game to give it a fair chance without me cheesing through a bunch of stuff like I did before, but I may also start a survival game.

edit: Also I am happy to see the hello games didn't completely abandon the game. I don't know if their work is going to fix the PR nightmare they dug into, but its nice to see them trying.

it's hard to say because of the nature of the game, but nothing seemed especially inconsistent with the planets i saw pre-patch in normal mode (and i saw a lot of planets.) there are definitely less crystals, if nothing else. the landscape and colour scheme of this one particularly reminds me of some of the more extreme irradiated planets you get closer to the center, though usually they have more messed up fauna.
    I feel like there may be slightly fewer plants to harvest, but that could entirely be randomness.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Spectral Hell

Sounds like a nice place to visit, I don't think I'd wanna live there though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm going to be cheap and steal from reddit, but the increased fauna from the patch notes can definitely show up:

9uxd45hi64l6.jpeg

Aaaand bases apparently have no height limit so you can build space towers. The dream lives.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    hey did anyone figure out the 'photo mode' on ps4? i couldn't mess with buttons in survival mode since every second of life is to be cherished (and spent sprinting across the wastes), but apparently it exists now?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    It's a button under Options -> Extras in the PC version. You should just be able to toggle it to turn off your interface.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Also on PC I believe it's assigned to H, unfortunately I don't think it has a button assignment on PS4 so you always have to go in the menu.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I fired this up the other day to check out the new patch. Apparently I'd last logged out on a station in a new system. It took me awhile to get reacquainted with the controls and then I went to check out a nearby planet. It looked inviting enough but it turns out I landed on a frozen heap. Constant blizzard conditions during the day. Extreme low temperatures every night. But....vortex cubes! And some new plants with resources I'd never seen before.

I need to find a mod that reduces fuel costs though. My ship has terrible gas mileage.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So, don't be dumb like me and decide to just make a run for your ship as a change of pace in the beginning. It turns out your hazard protection charges reaaaaaally slow while in your ship in survival mode, and you will hate everything. Luckily I now have a beacon for the last part to repair this damn thing.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Man, I don't know what this patch did. When I quit, the signal to my monitor goes wonky and it just stays black until I hard boot. If I alt-tab out it goes messes up the signal again but sometimes comes back.

EDIT: Also, I'll be damned if I can find plutonium anymore.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've only quit once so far, but the monitor going black sounds kind of similar to what other games do when I'm running them fullscreen instead of borderless.

Normally I can use task manager to kill the process and fix it, though.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    hey did anyone figure out the 'photo mode' on ps4? i couldn't mess with buttons in survival mode since every second of life is to be cherished (and spent sprinting across the wastes), but apparently it exists now?

Isn't it one of the d-pad things?
    Maybe left? I hit it and it hides the ui.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Wooooooo nelly, got jumped by two ships on my way back to the station from my base, hadn't even repaired my guns yet on my new ship.

Managed to take them down with no shields and one health left.

On my way back, I got jumped by one ship while mining. Some random NPC nearby joined me to help take it down, which was nice of them.

I've added the construction tech guy to my base; he says that building beacons lets you teleport to them, and apparently you can have more than one at a time because you can assign different colors. They require materials I ain't seen yet, though.

Also @Radiation Spadonium is found on barren biomes, in case you missed that.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/97891/uk-advertising-watchdog-says-no-mans-sky-ads-werent-misleading
    The ASA stated, "The summary description of the game made clear that it was procedurally generated, that the game universe was essentially infinite, and that the core premise was exploration." This basically means that the ASA sees Hello Games as being off the hook for any complaints against certain events not happening in-game since it's supposedly all random anyway.

The ASA's findings went into more detail about allegations that graphics were misrepresentative of the final product with the statement that graphical fidelity was dependent on a user's PC. They, however, did not take into account the performance issues experienced by PC gamers at the game's launch that may have forced them to play at a lower graphics setting than their PC was capable of handling.

Full ruling can be found here if you're interested: https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2016/11/Valve-Corporation/SHP_ADJ_351045.aspx#.WD7ladUrKUl

urahonky on
  • Options
    Apparently I keep checking for things a few days too early.

An important note for anyone starting Survival: when you die on foot, you lose what you were carrying but keep what's in your ship. When you die in your ship, it's the other way around. There are no grave markers get stuff back either way.

And you seem to get jumped much more frequently in Survival, and if it's 3 or 4 ships that can be a bad time. Not sure if there's anything to be done in those situations, unless having your warp drive fueled lets you hop out of the system entirely.

Regarding Beacons, apparently the other base technician gives you the plans to craft the ingredients for them, and the construction tech lets you hire them after you get them their Spadonium or whatever.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Wooooooo nelly, got jumped by two ships on my way back to the station from my base, hadn't even repaired my guns yet on my new ship.

Managed to take them down with no shields and one health left.

On my way back, I got jumped by one ship while mining. Some random NPC nearby joined me to help take it down, which was nice of them.

I've added the construction tech guy to my base; he says that building beacons lets you teleport to them, and apparently you can have more than one at a time because you can assign different colors. They require materials I ain't seen yet, though.

Also Radiation Spadonium is found on barren biomes, in case you missed that.

Yeah, finally found some in the next system. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things that would show up on the planet scan. It does though, for anyone else stuck on that part.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I lucked out with Sapdonium, in that the planet I chose for my base was a desert world full of the damn thing. So I was able to advance a few tiers in base building without having to leave the system.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My problem is I'm a bit of aesthetics snob. My ship needs to look good on top of being functional. It took a long time to find new ships in my last play through, even though I was rolling in credits, because it was hard to find something cooler looking.

That's why I need a list of freighters with pictures, because I know for a fact that I'll buy a freighter and then immediately find a new one that looks way better.

I think I figured out after a bit that they would only offer you ships that were a little better than the one that you had. So buying less than perfect ships was pretty important if you wanted to eventually have a baller one with all the slots AND the crazy space foil or whatever.

I'm debating starting over entirely with the update, both because I totally dicked myself with ships (I think? maybe someone could set me straight) and just general confusion as to what the fuck I was even doing when I stopped playing a week after launch (due to the game crashing after having apparently not saved for a couple hours and nope!).

So with ships, something I learned later, was that crashed ships will almost always be 1 slot (maybe 2 if you're super lucky) bigger than your current ship, and the ideal way to get a 48 slot ship is to grab every single ship you run across as early as possible and never looking back. Once you're at 48 slots you'll just find 48 slots crashed, and many NPC ships will be that too. You can then be picky about ships visuals, going around to stations and waiting for guys to land and finding one you like. How I think I dicked myself is that in the last 3 or 4 systems I haven't found planets with any noticeable populations, thus few to no transmission towers/buildings, and trying to scour the landscape for a crashed ship is not enjoyable. So the first few systems/planets that were rife with crashed ships, towers, etc, I was avoiding new ships because I thought "meh, 1 slot more and that ship looks like a clown car). Now I can't find crashed ships and I never found a planet full of the money materials so my income is painfully slow unless I want to spend hours on a space station with the right combination of NPC's selling an item the vendor bot would buy starred for profit. Anyway, my ship is at 35 slots, and it doesn't seem like the game is moving in a way that will provide me with decent options, since I passed them up early.

On the other hand, starting over means relearning languages and uh... no? That alone is probably what will keep me from doing it.

Anyway, I have a question about freighters. Can you visually customize the exteriors? I've seen some pictures on reddit with vague descriptions like "this is my fully upgraded freighter", or I saw one with rings which was cool; but I didn't get whether or not that was the same way they looked out of the gate, like normal ships, or if there is some way to upgrade the visuals after you buy. I have enough money to buy a freighter, barely, but it will break me, and I don't want to buy the first freighter I see in case you can't.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So with the update can you permanent waypoint a star system so you can always get back to it?
    I believe that once you set up a base you can teleport back to it from any station (and then maybe back to that station?). Other than that, I'm not sure.

Is anyone brave enough to test something?

If you teleport to your home from a different system, presumably you can teleport back to that system; that much seems obvious.

But what happens if you go to a station in the system your home is in afterward and then teleport to your home again. Will you lose the ability to teleport to the original system you were in that may be several systems away from your home?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    My ship is like 31 slots right now, I'm fine with living with it for the moment because I love how it look aesthetically.

Now that I have a freighter I can theoretically pretty easily find a crashed ship, summon my freighter into orbit, grab all the resources I need to repair it from the freighter, then fly back down and fix it up quick and easy. Should make upgrading my ship a lot less painful than it was before.

Freighters seem to not have any stats outside of how many slots they have to store things. So pick whatever one you like the look of best. There should be a number of freighters you can land on to choose from, not just the one that tags itself with a symbol.

• Options
    On teleporting, it looks like you don't teleport to your base, you teleport to beacons. I'm guessing the portal in your base and the ones in stations will let you pick any beacon that you've placed, so they're probably kind of planetary bookmarks.

(There's also a signal booster thing that has something to do with displaying messages to other players... which I'm curious about.)

Re: finding ships, I think a few systems of low "population" planets may just be luck; I was able to farm up my ship pretty late in the game, if I'm remembering correctly. Not sure if maybe things have changed, tho.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I forgot how obnoxious the resource loop is in this game. At least they added a quick menu that removes some of the hassle of charging all the things. Still, are there any mods that fix the fact you needs to account for so many depleting bars? If not, then creative mode it is!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    So
    I forgot how obnoxious the resource loop is in this game. At least they added a quick menu that removes some of the hassle of charging all the things. Still, are there any mods that fix the fact you needs to account for so many depleting bars? If not, then creative mode it is!

I would recommend creative mode in that case. The vibe of the patch points to even more bars as time goes on, survival game style. There may be mods, but if the non-survival mode is too many bars then give creative a shot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't think I've ever come across a game in this genre that requires so much in the way of keeping resource bars filled. It feels like HG doesn't understand the genre very well. They've got the exploration and crafting bit down pretty well though, so maybe it's just me.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    Yeah, I feel like the new survival mode has about the right rate of consumption to create an actual sense of urgency, but while the new quick menu helps it's still fiddly.

Some sort of auto-consume feature could be nice.

• Options
    They need to add a new section to the inventory menu that you to just drop resources into. Then have your ship, suit and mining tool just automatically draw from it. I think some things just need to drop the charge requirement altogether. Like the upgrades that help your suit's shield fight off environmental effects. They should just be a modifier that mitigates shield drain and not a secondary shield that also needs charging.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I think the first change I would make would still be removing pulse fuel as a concept. It's perhaps the most meaningless of gameplay aspects in the game and negatively impacts the variety of space.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    They need to add a new section to the inventory menu that you to just drop resources into. Then have your ship, suit and mining tool just automatically draw from it. I think some things just need to drop the charge requirement altogether. Like the upgrades that help your suit's shield fight off environmental effects. They should just be a modifier that mitigates shield drain and not a secondary shield that also needs charging.
    Agreed on the hopper idea, but merging the shield and hazard protection, while appealing aesthetically, would actually change the game quite a bit. If you have an easy way to recharge your shield, combat gets massively impacted. Not being able to recharge it would greatly affect exploration.

edit: oh, you probably meant charging the hazard protection "shield" rather than each individual upgrade, huh. Never mind, then; I agree.
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think the first change I would make would still be removing pulse fuel as a concept. It's perhaps the most meaningless of gameplay aspects in the game and negatively impacts the variety of space.
    Yeah, I like the idea of needing to stock up on fuel to reach some farther planets, but because asteroids have to be everywhere to avoid getting stuck it doesn't work out like that.

If stations had a magic science tractor beam that could haul you back in (ie let you boost towards them) regardless of whether or not you had fuel, I think the whole asteroids thing could be reworked to be more interesting.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/97891/uk-advertising-watchdog-says-no-mans-sky-ads-werent-misleading
    The ASA stated, "The summary description of the game made clear that it was procedurally generated, that the game universe was essentially infinite, and that the core premise was exploration." This basically means that the ASA sees Hello Games as being off the hook for any complaints against certain events not happening in-game since it's supposedly all random anyway.

The ASA's findings went into more detail about allegations that graphics were misrepresentative of the final product with the statement that graphical fidelity was dependent on a user's PC. They, however, did not take into account the performance issues experienced by PC gamers at the game's launch that may have forced them to play at a lower graphics setting than their PC was capable of handling.

Full ruling can be found here if you're interested: https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2016/11/Valve-Corporation/SHP_ADJ_351045.aspx#.WD7ladUrKUl

Aww booo procedural generation shouldn't be a shield that protects you from everything. They were 100% misleading in their PR building up to the game, whether they meant to be or not. At the very least their communication was exceptionally poor and I hope they don't start a trend of other devs thinking they can pull the same stuff.

Well hopefully people are enjoying it after the update at least.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Aww booo procedural generation shouldn't be a shield that protects you from everything. They were 100% misleading in their PR building up to the game, whether they meant to be or not. At the very least their communication was exceptionally poor and I hope they don't start a trend of other devs thinking they can pull the same stuff.

To be clear the ASA was only addressing advertisements on Steam. They weren't looking at Sean Murray's interviews or any of Hello Game's PR events. In light of the limited scope of the investigation, it isn't hard to see how they came to this conclusion. If Hello Games had interviews up on the Steam storefront they would have undoubtedly been ruled against. The problem is, games are advertised in ways that extend beyond trailers and pictures on a website. I don't think consumer protection laws are built in such a way as to address misleading people in that manner.

And because this issue annoys so many posters, I'll be dropping it unless something else comes up.

• Options
    edited November 2016

People familiar with the ASA are noting this to be one of their most in depth rulings that they've ever seen. They seldom go into this level of detail in explaining cases like this -- all indications are they took it seriously and researched it thoroughly. They cross referenced footage of the commercial game from Hello Games with the trailers in question, as well videos from Youtubers and their own personal play experience.

The Eurogamer article on it is really good. They specifically address a lot of the points that people are claiming are false advertising, and why they are not false advertising. It's a case of law vs. common use of a word. The burden for it to be false and illegal advertising is higher than the frequency to which the term "false advertising" is applied in everyday use. Steam reviews also may be slightly less rational than even the common use of the term.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i read the ruling last night and was surprised at its depth. i don't think procedural generation pulled the wool over their eyes. i personally would have been more critical of aspects of that one old launch trailer sticking around in particular (crashed freighters and sand planets?), but the main gist that most of the formal complaints were immaterial (read: petulant) is true.

what baffles me is why they didn't put the playstation launch trailer over on steam all along. it was actually constructed from release gameplay and was also a lot better (i guess the likely answer is that hello games didn't actually make it, sony did)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options

To be clear the ASA was only addressing advertisements on Steam. They weren't looking at Sean Murray's interviews or any of Hello Game's PR events. In light of the limited scope of the investigation, it isn't hard to see how they came to this conclusion. If Hello Games had interviews up on the Steam storefront they would have undoubtedly been ruled against. The problem is, games are advertised in ways that extend beyond trailers and pictures on a website. I don't think consumer protection laws are built in such a way as to address misleading people in that manner.

And because this issue annoys so many posters, I'll be dropping it unless something else comes up.

Ah, that makes more sense. And is disappointing. Ah well, hopefully the industry doesn't trend that way.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Ah, that makes more sense. And is disappointing. Ah well, hopefully the industry doesn't trend that way.

Yeah, it's not cool, but I don't think interviews months prior to release would constitute false advertising. You also probably don't have to worry too much about people following the model of one of the most hated games ever -- though, in true "Boycott Modern Warfare 2!!!!" form, the game is currently #3 on Steam's top sellers and has been for a few days. World's a fun place!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Man, the fact that this constitutes "one of the most hated games ever" is completely ridiculous. People who play video games are terrible.

• Options
    With the Foundation Update out, I expect several of the GB crew to put it on their GOTY lists.

• Options
    So this is all pretty encouraging. Hello Games apparently dropped in a lot of as-of-yet-unused code alongside the update. This guy dug around and it seems like we're going to get an ATV with jump boosters relatively soon, with references to tech trees on freighters and additional races as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Well, the people demanded treadmills so here come the treadmills!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    there are parts of this game that I like but the inventory system in the early game is punishing. i never ever have enough space, after just minutes from clearing my inventory

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dang, none of the survival/base-building stuff interests me in the least, but give me an ATV I can tool around on the planets with and I could see myself jumping back into the world of animal cataloging and planet hopping.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    With the Foundation Update out, I expect several of the GB crew to put it on their GOTY lists.

I'd be extremely surprised if this happened. There's a lot of other good games out and without the update this wasn't exactly a great game at launch, even ignoring all the negative hype and such. Most of them have expressed some level of meh to the whole basebuilding aspect as well.

With this update, can you fly close to the surface yet? That was the thing that most upset me was when I was dogfighting a ship, the ship went under me and I tried to loop down to follow and the game told me no and course corrected me back upwards. I wanna crash into the planet if I want!