Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Shujaa wrote: »
    Tip: Volcanic worlds always have 3 metal, and Ice worlds always have 3 crystal. Try to get at least one of each for some easy eco boom.

Volcanic will always have minerals and Ice will always have crystals but the amount of asteroids depends on the resource setting for the game. "Normal resources" will have 3 asteroids, "few resources" will cause them to have 2 asteroids each and "many resources" will cause them to have 4 asteroids. "Random resources" will cause it to have an equal chance of 2/3/4.

I like playing on 'random resources' because it makes those 4-asteroid planets something to treasure and protect.

Wow I always thought Random resources just picked one of the other settings (low/med/high). Guess I'm choosing random from now on!

Shujaa on
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So a friend of mine bought this game because he is a big homeworld freak and gave me a chance to try it.

I reaaaallllyyy want to buy this game, but performance is a big issue with me. It didn't help my buddy had a computer that can rule planets.

But damn, I love the way they did the interface.

MarkyX on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MarkyX wrote: »
    So a friend of mine bought this game because he is a big homeworld freak and gave me a chance to try it.

I reaaaallllyyy want to buy this game, but performance is a big issue with me. It didn't help my buddy had a computer that can rule planets.

But damn, I love the way they did the interface.

I don't know what else to tell you. It's pretty evident to me that your system specs ought to be able to easily handle the game, and you're not taking the gameplay on "faith" anymore.

So either you want us to convince you some more, or you're just going to have to wait on the demo to be absolutely certain about it's performance. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If your friend has it and he lives close enough to let you try it, couldn't you just borrow the disc real quick and see how well it performs on your system?

Bama on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have an AMD 4200+ 2GB of RAM and a GF7900GS and the game is pretty smooth unless you zoom in close to a large group of ships.

The game seems to have some built in LOD based on your zoom level, mostly concerned with particle effects. Overall I'm satisfied with the performance.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have this now. I am interested in getting my rear end handed to me.

I am on now. Name is MechMantis.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    FrogboyFrogboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's a preview of what's in 1.03 here:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=302815

Frogboy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think we should plaaaaaaaaaay.

Please play with me.

EDIT: I'm in Vent and in the ICO channel "Penny Arcade".

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just started up a new Huge Random map with max CPUs on it

Pretty much have the first system locked down, four more to go. Games getting really laggy : /

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Frogboy wrote: »
    There's a preview of what's in 1.03 here:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=302815

Looks like they're addressing all the stuff people have been asking for. Awesome, not to mention fast.

subedii on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea but still no demo.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would totally love a demo for this, because it looks interesting, but I don't know if it will really capture me.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Looks like they are trying to fine tune everything for a demo.

MarkyX on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea but still no demo.

I'm pretty sure they've said they're going to work on a demo after 1.03.

tofu on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The game is sweet so far, did all of the tutorials and am about 2 hours into a random map.

I locked down 4 planets and then BAM! Huge enemy armada wipes out my prime metal-mining colony.

Luckily, I took it back, but fuck ...what a goddamn surprise that was.

Also, I noticed that I freeze the game if I try to open up the research tab now (over 2 hours into it)? Any thoughts?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Blair FraserBlair Fraser Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The freezing bug for certain screens/text should be fixed in v1.03. It's not listed in the preview (the full is actually quite a bit larger).

Blair Fraser on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anybody know how to reset the first tutorial? I got a ways into it and then I had to get some work done. Now, like three weeks later I want to give it a try again but I don't remember what I am supposed to do right now nor how to do it, and I can't find any way to start it over.

rts on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i want to play, cakemikz, if you do..

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I dont know how to play! Thats why I need to get this tutorial reset.

rts on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What do you mean by reset? Every time you start it, it should start from the beginning.

Blair Fraser on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The tutorials are always available in single player under the tutorial tab.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lol... from the 1.03 page :
    Sins of a Solar Empire is the highest rated new PC game of 2008 as well as the best selling new PC game of 2008 but we're not resting on our laurels.

.. best selling in the first 3 months of 2008...

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Sins of a Solar Empire is the highest rated new PC game of 2008 as well as the best selling new PC game of 2008 but we're not resting on our laurels.

They love to celebrate every achievement they can get over there. :mrgreen:

Every time a major site reviews them they try and post a link to it, following which are usually a dozen or so congratulatory comments, at least one of which will reference the lack of DRM.

Not that they don't deserve the credit, just something I've noticed. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What do you mean by reset? Every time you start it, it should start from the beginning.

Well I got it to reset, honestly I have no idea what was wrong with it. I assumed it would have started from the beginning but it didnt. I just started deleting all kinds of stuff. It wasn't a very long tutorial anyways but I wouldn't have been able to jump into the game without it.

The game is really awesome. I just wish the spaceships looked better. Some of these designs are just so awful. I wish that companies making spaceship games would learn early on that they need concept artists who are good at designing spaceships. I can see heavy inspiration from the EvE ships in this game in places and christ EvE is not where you want to look for inspiration. EvE only recently started putting good looking spaceships into their game and it has been around since 2003.

Also, while the combat is epic in scale, the puny weapon sprites/animations/whatever they are really suck. Hopefully someone will make a mod that makes the ships look better and fixes the gun animations like PDS did for Homeworld 2. Also small ships need to move faster, like fighters/bombers. That is what makes the rest of the ships feel epic in scale, turning them into hulking beasts compared to the quick little nimble fighters. They ARE faster, but they aren't ridiculously fast like they should be. Ah well, it takes an amazing game to get me so interested that I think this much into it.

rts on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It sounds like you might have an old version. v1.00 and v1.01 had a tutorial bug where they would not start or end at the correct times - it shouldn't have been short. Try updating to v1.02 using the "Download Updates" button and see if that helps.

Blair Fraser on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone want to play?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the idea of this game... but worry my computer will die from it. Looks like I'll have to wait on the demo to see how well it scales down.

Also, I hear of huge balance problems- LRM rush/spam, Superweapon issues, etc. Can anyone validate?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »

They love to celebrate every achievement they can get over there. :mrgreen:

Every time a major site reviews them they try and post a link to it, following which are usually a dozen or so congratulatory comments, at least one of which will reference the lack of DRM.

Not that they don't deserve the credit, just something I've noticed. :lol:

It's hard not to be proud of your baby when folks are saying good things about it. The few that I've met on the team are incredibly down to earth - really cool people. That said, they're also fighting an uphill battle - they're a new studio with a new IP; convincing people to buy into is difficult - so having "evidence" of the quality of the product available makes that decision easier. Sort of a "don't take our word for it, this is what other people have to say."

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I couldn't wait for the demo, so now I have the game! WHO WANTS TO PLAY?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm Sins'd out.

I played a three hour game with my buddy who came over yesterday.

I have one thing to say about that match, and that is...

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Also known as Javelis Frigate missiles. I had 73 of the bastards. Any ship that entered the system which this fleet was in was immediately assaulted by an overwhelming swarm of angry, angry explosive bees.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    BEADS?!

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is balanced for multiplayer, not singleplayer.

The AI is stupid. Very, very stupid. Not that it doesn't give give you a place to get a handle on the fundamentals of the game, but it's ultimately an AI, and there has never been a strategy games AI in the history of the world that can consistently beat human players.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    are you saying you want to throw down at some point Jin

because what I am hearing is that you want to throw down at some point

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yes

the game is so much more fun online than offline because pubs only know how to play vs AIs so they turtle and tech and make like 5 ships and one cap and then ragequit in a fit of rage when you kill their cap because they didn't bother microing at all (lol)

edit: MORE PROTIPS: stationary defense turrets are useless because they are rendered useless by the obscure but difficult tactic of flying around them, the only time you should be using them is if you want to defend a stationary target (for example, frigate factory, labs, or repair platform)

THIS IS THE SHIP DAMAGE CHART

Try to memorize this chart, or at least have it open so you can alt-tab to it when you need it

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright I think ICO hates my router. I've forwarded port 6112 droped my firewall and still I'm unable to host a game. When I join a game someone else is hosting it results in a critical error about 5 minutes into the game and crashes to desktop.

Using a linksys-wrt54g, if someone wants to throw down on hamachi to see if it's able to at least handle lan games I'd apreciate it.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have finally accquired my own copy of this game. My roommate and I got bored against the computer and I don't want to play against him because he is a whiner.

So what I am saying is that I think I want to throw down sometime this week.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jinnigan wrote: »

The AI is stupid. Very, very stupid. Not that it doesn't give give you a place to get a handle on the fundamentals of the game, but it's ultimately an AI, and there has never been a strategy games AI in the history of the world that can consistently beat human players.

I dunno, WCIII AI continues to bend me over all these years later.

Arrath on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arrath wrote: »

The AI is stupid. Very, very stupid. Not that it doesn't give give you a place to get a handle on the fundamentals of the game, but it's ultimately an AI, and there has never been a strategy games AI in the history of the world that can consistently beat good human players.

Fixed. No offense meant, but it's true.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »

The AI is stupid. Very, very stupid. Not that it doesn't give give you a place to get a handle on the fundamentals of the game, but it's ultimately an AI, and there has never been a strategy games AI in the history of the world that can consistently beat good human players.

Fixed. No offense meant, but it's true.

Yeah, most likely. Something about WCIII never 'clicked' for me, I was never very good at it.

As for Sins though, I love LRM frigates so much. Its great to zoom in close to the enemy ships and watch the masses of missles pelt them. I wonder if I can go into the data files and scale the missiles up a bit so they're a bit easier to see.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I personally prefer the Advent-how do their missile frigates stack up with the TEC?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.