Options

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• Options
    Duck MaNDuck MaN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Online I am not to sure about, Only done local, and Locals you can save.

You can start out with a freind on the same team .. or sepret teams and then have a cease fire or a peace treaty.

me and my buddie found out that even if you are on the same team starting out. and have a computer enemy they still try and get you to attack your buddy. Its rather funny.

All we do are comp stopms. because we are still learning the ins and outs of the game.

Duck MaN on
  • Options
    matt120282matt120282 Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    i love this game it can suck up hours of my life. and the planned expansion has a SP campaign to look forward to

matt120282 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes you can do compstomps and yes, you can save multiplayer games.

tofu on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone playing right now?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Luv this game.
    First time i saw a video review, I thought it's going to be so confusing, but it's pretty easy actually.
    Right now i have a game on the largest map possible, and probably after trying every race I'm going to get bored of it. But fun while it lasts. (expect combat. zzz.)

// THIS GAME HAS MODS?!?!21 oh god

Fuga on
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    ok, so I dont know if its my computer, or because vista is a piece of shit, but my game likes to crash randomly when I load it. And doesnt stop crashing, so I have to start a new one.

Now I'm about 4 hours into a large size game, and ever time I load it, it crashes after about 2 minutes.
    So is there a fix for this, or is it incompatible with Vista or what?

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm running it on Vista 32x and it works just fine. You can scale the game's system demands tremendously, so as long as you're not using some kind of crazy hardware from an obscure manufacturer and you have up-to-date drivers, you should be doing fine.

I'd recommend checking to see that there aren't new drivers and DirectX updates to install. While Vista is compatible, I did have to upgrade my video drivers to a a beta version from nVidia in order to get the game to keep from locking up on my every 10 minutes.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't play this game enough, sadly. Of course, when a friend recommends we play a match, we get sucked in for like six or more hours. I love playing the Vasari for the Returning Armada ability. I had no military, didn't really invest in any, and spent most of my time trying to get to that tech. After I did, I built several of those gateways and had the largest military force in no time. I raped everyone. Glorious.

It's too bad those things eat up money, though. I thought they were free in all respects, but I was wrong. By the end of the game I lost about ten credits per second. D:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got this game and decided to try it out while the massive patches for CoH were downloading.

How is this not getting constant praise everywhere just for its interface?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2008
    I am going to have this game starred in our LAN at RenoPAX

Unknown User on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    I just got this game and decided to try it out while the massive patches for CoH were downloading.

How is this not getting constant praise everywhere just for its interface?

It's gotten praise for it's interface which is really nice I must say. I wish I could handle fights in high res though since 1024x768 makes the side bar less useful.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It is a very awesome interface, I could see facsimiles of it being useful in other real-time games.

subedii on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The interface is indeed fantastic, EXCEPT for the inability to buy/sell resources from the main view. That was in the beta, and will be returning in 1.1 :)

Also, I would like to see my fleet icons appear above planets that they are orbiting, so I don 'thave to dive in a bit to click on them.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I prefer hanger defense over turrets, simply due to their ability to harass and even destroy enemy ships that are passing through. Not to mention, a decent number of squadrons will keep pirates busy and away from your structures for quite awhile.

My current game is a large FFA as vasari. I'm thinking that I prefer the Advent, probably as a side effect of my love for fighters. How do you guys divide your squads between strike/bombing craft? The tooltips are kind of ambiguous as to when the bombers become more effective.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there a demo of this floating around somewhere? My recent MoO kick makes me yearn for another good space strategy game.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    large fleet battles make my cpu cry but I love this game

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I prefer hanger defense over turrets, simply due to their ability to harass and even destroy enemy ships that are passing through. Not to mention, a decent number of squadrons will keep pirates busy and away from your structures for quite awhile.

My current game is a large FFA as vasari. I'm thinking that I prefer the Advent, probably as a side effect of my love for fighters. How do you guys divide your squads between strike/bombing craft? The tooltips are kind of ambiguous as to when the bombers become more effective.

I usually have fighter:bomber ratio of 2:1 for static hangars and 1:2 for assault fleets. Works out pretty well considering what kind of ships I usually go up against in offense vs. defense situations.

I love this game so much but it's such a huge time-sink, and I don't really have the time to do this. I also get confused when I save a game and forget everything that happened so I just start a new game. I think I've played 7 or 8 games and still haven't finished one. I got close enough to back a guy into his home world but couldn't finish him off.

Also, does anyone turn off the space color? It bothers me if I'm fighting in a mass of RED or GREEN or WHITE, so I just have the blue-ish galaxy off in the distance with just a starry background.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I play with the other 6 or so guys in my clan and we play like 3-4 hours a night but we rarely finish any games because the next night we usually dont have the same mix of players online to resume the saved game. so basically I've finished like 2 games :(

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This game is awsome, but it requires a GREAT deal of time for multiplayer play... Way to simple to turtle yourself on 1 or 2 core locations while loosing the rest of your galaxy.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Also, does anyone turn off the space color? It bothers me if I'm fighting in a mass of RED or GREEN or WHITE, so I just have the blue-ish galaxy off in the distance with just a starry background.

what? you turn cinematic mode on? Why would you want to have zero tactical information?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Basticle wrote: »

what? you turn cinematic mode on? Why would you want to have zero tactical information?

No no, not ship color, but the random color of the galaxy you're in. Like everything is in a sea of red or green.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    oh I see. the only time I have a problem is its a bitch trying to see advent ships when you have a light blue background.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got this game a few weeks ago, but with class and work I've had about nil time to play it for any length of time. I've managed to complete 3 or 4 small/medium maps against AI, one game with each race. I must say I like vasari for the warp stabilizers. Being able to near instantly react to an attack anywhere with only one defense fleet is very nice. They also have that great disabling ship, though some of their cruisers' build descriptions are kinda confusing. TEC would probably be my second favorite for the nice fleet setup they have going, with the heavy hitter cruiser, repair cruiser and the target damage-boosting one. Advent I'm not too partial to with the culture focus, and the fact that phase missiles tear them a new one.

On another note, I was reading through the thread, and I can't seem to get to the interview Threepio posted on page 61. Cookies, scripts and all that are enabled on platformers, but still no dice on finding the actual page with it. Can anyone else access it or is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing?

Woggle on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've seen the PA tag on the main page about 40 times and I finally clicked on it to see what this was about. I figured...if it's a good game it'll be on the forums. It's a 75 page thread! I went through about 20 pages and found a lot of questions regarding system requirements so I thought I'd post what I found from their website.

I'll problably download the demo tonight. It looks fun. Hopefully the full game is downloadable too.
    edit: it is...for 5 bucks less than box price!

System Requirements:
    Minimum - Windows XP SP2/Vista, 1.8 GHz Single-Core Processor, 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Windows Vista), 128 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon 9600 / GeForce FX 6600 and above), DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card, DVD-ROM Drive, 3 GB Hard Drive Space, Keyboard and Mouse, DirectX 9.0c

Recommended - 2.2 GHz Dual- or Quad-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Windows Vista), 256 MB DirectX 9 3D Video Card (Radeon X1600 / GeForce 7600 and above)

edit: Notice with the recommended system you can play this game...hands free!

Hembot on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So does anyone have a team of friends up for a 3vs3 or 4vs4?

Since I managed to enthrall my friends with this game, after our second day or so of playing, we have yet to lose a game. Any combination of the four of us, 2vs2/3vs3/4vs4, has yet to lose in about 3 weeks.

Not too many people hang around in the lobby, so it's hard to organize a solid team to play against, let alone a team with decent records. I don't mean to brag, it's honestly exasperating that we can't find anyone to have a good game with. It's not even that we're all that great, it's just that communication is absolutely key, and we've noticed that people with even goodish records will sometimes ask, 20 minutes into the game, "what's ally chat again?" or "whoa Orange was wiped out 10 minutes ago?"

Leave a reply if you'd like to organize some games later this week, it'd be amazing to get something like a big 3vs3vs3 going.

Keep this thread alive, more people need to play this game.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Manic205 wrote: »
    I don't mean to brag, it's honestly exasperating that we can't find anyone to have a good game with. It's not even that we're all that great, it's just that communication is absolutely key, and we've noticed that people with even goodish records will sometimes ask, 20 minutes into the game, "what's ally chat again?" or "whoa Orange was wiped out 10 minutes ago?"

No kidding. I played in a 4v6 game online, random people vs. some clan, and I was the only damn one who tried to communicate. Unluckily for me, I was placed (random map) directly between two of them by myself. I scouted this situation out, and the response from one of my team when I pointed it out? "Looks like you're the sacrifice this game." I am not kidding. :x

My teammates (all 5 of them) proceed to do fuckall while two of them double team my capital and proceed to work on my planet. I sat there and watched them bombard my planet for what must have been ten bloody minutes while my teammates sat on their thumbs. One of the other team even went to kill other stuff about 2 minutes into it so there was just one carrier killing me. After my planet goes boom, one of my team drops and the rest of them leave one by one.

The upshot to all this? I had my colony ship sitting at one of my allies' homeworlds in the event that I would somehow get killed. I ask if someone could clear a dead end asteroid sitting right off an ally's homeworld so I could colonize it to get back in the game, and I get jackall of a response. :evil:
    Manic205 wrote: »
    Keep this thread alive, more people need to play this game.

Because of the way this is designed, it's one of my favorite rts's. It removes all the annoying things in other rts's such as required microing, managing how many workers are mining what, worrying about if you have enough room to build all the buildings you need, and research times that are so long that you're screwed if someone shows up when it's halfway done or if you see you need to research and upgrade a completely different kind of unit that takes forever because of what someone else is building. [/wc3 & others rant]
    By simple statistics it would also be easier to find good people if the pool was larger to fish from.

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ugh I just played a 2-night 8 hour game that started out FFA and ended up being a 3vs3 that ended up with this clusterfuck around a sun that completely fucking crushed my team. I'm yellow and allied with red and light green so you can see the ship counts

ScreenShot_04.jpg
    ScreenShot_06.jpg
    ScreenShot_08.jpg
    ScreenShot_09.jpg
    ScreenShot_12.jpg
    ScreenShot_13.jpg

I was getting around 2fps and I have all the graphical settings on medium. I think I need to turn that down.

*edit* one of them took this screenshot

http://www.the-furi.net/uploads/wtfbeams.jpg

mother of god

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That right there is why I love this game. Sins is a regular at our weekly LAN, and we've had all sorts of big fleet battles that would put any space opera movie to shame. Such an epic game.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Got this a week ago and I've read this whole thread in 3 weeks. Between this, Medieval 2 and Civ 4 this deployment will fly by. How much bandwidth do internet games require? The Haji internet I have is comparable to dial-up with satellite lag :( Anyone in the sandbox want to get a game going sometime?

juggerbot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Everyone I play with has cable or DSL and the game lags tremendously when people send large fleets (like 100+ ship fleets) around but that was with 6 playrs.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I bought the game this morning after playing a demo yesterday, and two today.

I lost all three times vs. 2 easy guys. Granted I only did Tutorial 1 & 2 but I wanted to see what the normal maps were like to get a taste. Needless to say despite three losses I was hooked. I was late to work because I was registering the program for the digital download. I can't wait to get home and play again!

The demo only has TEC and I was fighting two other TEC guys. But I still have some questions.
    · Is there a hotkey for pause? spacebar didn't work.
    · Is the best strategy to colonize ASAP or wait to build a cap ship for free pirate xp?
    · Cruisers...When is a good time to start research?
    · Economy or Military research at 2 planets?

Ok! I'm off to find more strategies so I can try and win a game!

Hembot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    uh the pause key pauses.

I personally colonize as fast as possible. I first thing I build is a capital factory and then build whichever capital ship that has a colonize ability (your first cap ship is free)

cruisers, I wait until I have a good economy and a decent fleet before I start messing with them

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    juggerbot wrote: »
    Got this a week ago and I've read this whole thread in 3 weeks. Between this, Medieval 2 and Civ 4 this deployment will fly by. How much bandwidth do internet games require? The Haji internet I have is comparable to dial-up with satellite lag :( Anyone in the sandbox want to get a game going sometime?

I have felt your pain brother! I spent my year in the big sandbox as well. Though I had WoW (with 1300 ping) to get me through the deployment along with CoD LAN games. Try to convert your unit! Thats what I did with WoW. Out of 50 some guys 14 were playing WoW. Good times. . . kinda. . . not really. :|

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Axen wrote: »

I have felt your pain brother! I spent my year in the big sandbox as well. Though I had WoW (with 1300 ping) to get me through the deployment along with CoD LAN games. Try to convert your unit! Thats what I did with WoW. Out of 50 some guys 14 were playing WoW. Good times. . . kinda. . . not really. :|

So be honest. General Patraeus. Phat lewt, or the phattest lewt?

TL DR on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    a quick question. due to cpu restraints i've never really tried playing with the large fleets setting. Does the amount of capital ships you can build go up with that setting or is it still stuck at 16?

Error on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

He paid for his 70. :P

Axen on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If anyone wants to play, PM me

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2008

He paid for his 70. :P

I thought I read something about the CIA having bleeding-edge gaming computers. Now I know why.

TL DR on
  • Options
    yooperyooper Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    OH MY GOD this game is such a crap fest. this game is not meant for hardcore 4x players this game is fun on a small scale, but on the larger scale that hard core gamers eventually push games too... this game will just not hold up. there is a limit to how many capital ships you can build that doesn't change whether you have 20 systems under your control, or 300. on a small scale you can build enough for huge battles, but on the large scale your forces just become... not enough..... I wish they had worried more about how this game would scale up, and had made an actual tech tree, instead of a series of upgrades that reminded me more of starcraft or warcraft then master of orion.

yooper on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    yooper wrote: »
    OH MY GOD this game is such a crap fest. this game is not meant for hardcore 4x players this game is fun on a small scale, but on the larger scale that hard core gamers eventually push games too... this game will just not hold up. there is a limit to how many capital ships you can build that doesn't change whether you have 20 systems under your control, or 300. on a small scale you can build enough for huge battles, but on the large scale your forces just become... not enough..... I wish they had worried more about how this game would scale up, and had made an actual tech tree, instead of a series of upgrades that reminded me more of starcraft or warcraft then master of orion.

You wouldn't be from the U.P. by any chance?

Axen on
This discussion has been closed.