Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm really glad I work a night shift now

I don't think I'd have the stomach to sit through the debate tomorrow

I'm sure I'll just barely be able to stomach the condensed snippets I hear after the fact

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    folks do love their traditions, even when they're ill-advised, and it can be hard as heck to get rid of them

especially when they're tinged with the nostalgia for one's good old college days

for example, the difficult battle that Ole Miss's own administration had to fight to get their fans to stop waving the confederate flag at games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1fHmeFW0nw

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Prediction: Tomorrow will be the first time since Jackson that a candidate for the US presidency has vomited snakes onto his opponent during a debate.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I've got class until 6:30(PST) tomorrow, and then it takes about an hour to get home from this class.

I've got the debate set to PVR though, so I'll just have to keep myself on blackout, and then after like a 13-hour day watch the debate. That won't end up sucking at all I'm sure.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Prediction: Tomorrow will be the first time since Jackson that a candidate for the US presidency has vomited snakes onto his opponent during a debate.

Hillary will have run several mock debates containing that exact situation and prepared her mongoose-dispensers accordingly.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Slytherin and Mastiff

I'll fuck you up

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    edit: actually I dont' even want to bring it up

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Hufflepuff, Russian blue cat patronus.

That all checks out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I really want a chrome extension that replaces "patronus" with "fursona".

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I came here to be horrified by political bullshit before going to bed

I gotta say
    I am sorely disappointed in all of you

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/in-my-words/ifallpipodahhpbnemkhiddofdkhlekg/details

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I just remembered that to listen to the debate would mean listening to Trump speak, and his cadence/way of speaking make me wanna take a nail-gun to my head.

So maybe I'll just read along? Who knows.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Robot house, patronus would be a girder. like just a regular ass girder

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Bent or unbent?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I made a decision about a year ago that I would never actually watch footage of Trump speaking if it is within my power to avoid it, and I have held firm to that, and tomorrow will be no different

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    People making protest votes are ridiculous, vote for Hilary to protest the inexperienced dolts that are the 3rd party candidates if you're going to protest vote

Prohass on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i've never been a big harry potter guy but i did the pottermore patronus thing and got a pegasus

i think that means i win at harry potter

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    i've never been a big harry potter guy but i did the pottermore patronus thing and got a pegasus

I got a fox which I feel pretty good about

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

should've been a pigeon :p

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hogwarts house is Gryffindor

Ilvermorny house is Pukwudgie

Patronus is an Eagle

I'm apparently a confused, indecisive little wizard

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I got a fox which I feel pretty good about

That animal doesn't have feathers so that's clearly wrong.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    i tried to do the patronus test but never got a confirmation email. So I guess my patronus is NA?

edit: oh wait I got it! Wildcat. Hmm, I hate cats, but if its wild I respect it

Prohass on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i figured the patronus was supposed to be an animal that you actually had like, a feeling or thought about, rather than a personality test result

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    nah in the books its more about reflecting your personality or "soul"

Prohass on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Eagle/Ravenclaw/Puckwudgie

No idea what any of that means.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I was gonna talk about Labour being shitheads again, but it's way more fun to talk about Ravnica Guilds

I figure I can basically peace out of uk politics until after the next election when corbyn loses. Nothing is changing until then.

I dislike Corbyn with an intensity that I never thought I could muster for a politician in a country that I do not live in

his supporters defend him with a fervor that seems pretty surprising, given how he (at least, from my admittedly underinformed perspective) seems to be terrible at actually getting things done or managing his party

Imagine if we had actually put Bernie Sanders in charge of the Democratic Party.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I mean, Bernie Sanders isn't a lunatic. That's a prime difference.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    fuck, there's no way i'm ready to just slam everything together and go camping tomorrow. have to be later in the week.

damnit. damnit damnit damnit.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    So NASA checked the math and cha... oh, it's been convered. Well, uh, so Clinton checked the math and then we all lived happily ever after the end.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/in-my-words/ifallpipodahhpbnemkhiddofdkhlekg/details

thanks to you, conversations about Trump are now conversations about Brimping

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Prediction: tomorrow will be the first time that the Youtube live comments for a political event won't be that far off in tone from the actual content of the event.

edit: oh, I mean "later today". Stayed up too late again.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    So it looks like at Obama's nadir of the election season (which happened in October) he was pretty close to how Clinton is now. It looks like, weirdly, the VP debates were the closest event I can find to that nadir. Considering that he was a much more popular candidate, this actually bodes pretty well in my opinion. It shows that big swings aren't the end of the world. By the night of the election, he was at a ninety percent chance to win on Silver's projections: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/fivethirtyeights-2012-forecast/?_r=0

Notably however, at this point Obama had a comfortable lead which tightened later. Personally, I don't see Trump getting any huge boosts to his popularity, his increases seem to be gradual as people essentially forget what a prick he is. If Hilary doesn't hit a black swan sometime in November I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, and for my money the chances of Trump hitting a major scandal are much higher.

Anyway, people still need to work if they can, but the sky isn't necessarily falling. There was a time when we all that Romney had it in the bag.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/donate/
    https://www.hillaryclinton.com/forms/volunteer/

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think it's a real good thing that the basket of deplorables trip happened early on in the campaign

that's probably going to be the biggest mistake of the whole thing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I think it's definitely good for Hilary to have figured out the limits of how hard she can attack on that while there's still time to forget the mistake.

Honestly the biggest potential for fuckups from both of them is the debates. That was pretty clearly the start of major problems for Obama. Again though, I think it's more likely that Trump will fuck up than that Hilary will, but it's very up in the air. He's unorthodox, and a woman has such a litany of criteria for being seen as a failure. "she's too bossy" "she's frosty" etc.

Honestly one of the best scenarios is that he thinks he has some clever fucking idea for a stunt, like the famous finger wagging event in the Clinton Senate race, and totally fucks it up. He is not known for having good intuition as to how things will come across, and this is the longest he's going to be off the autocue for weeks. Clinton, conversely? Known for being overcautious if anything, but can reliably be off the autocue without seriously fucking up.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I hope she rips off his head on live national television, drops trou, and shits down his neck.

Label on
  • Options
    Honestly I think that would come across as a little unsympathetic.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so, just the head ripping part then?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    so, just the head ripping part then?

Then all the pundits will discuss is how Clinton failed to follow through with a decisive neck-shitting

She can't win

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.