Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I mean, really, most people would be in Hufflepuff. The super nerds would go Ravenclaw, the jocks and ROTC people would go with Gryffandor, all the polisci and cliqish people would go Slytherin. Now think back to your high school and guess how many people would go into each house. Hufflepuff would overwhelm just on numbers, lol.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I was a Hufflepuff in both old and new Pottermore.

And my Patronus is a Black Mamba.

Ah yes Hufflepuff. Hogwarts house to John Cena.

Ah I am in good company then. Excellent.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The ladyfriend and I have had disagreements bordering on heated about whether I'm Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff

(I insist the former, she's adamant it's the latter)

I got sorted into Ravenclaw twice now. We recognize our own, you're Ravenclaw through and through.

Also my patronus is a stoat.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man jocks and rotc kids would never be in the same house. And this is from someone who was in jrotc for four years and works at a school with jrotc. Those groups rarely socialize in a positive way.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I was a Hufflepuff in both old and new Pottermore.

And my Patronus is a Black Mamba.

Ah yes Hufflepuff. Hogwarts house to John Cena.

Ah I am in good company then. Excellent.

Hustle loyalty respect is what Hufflepuff is all about.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If anything rotc kids tend to be nerdy so I'd put them in ravenclaw.

Not sure about band and drama kids.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    i was a gryffindor on the old pottermore, they made me take the quiz again and it sorted me into hufflepuff

delete the internet

Ravenclaw with a sparrowhawk Petronus represent.

My wife got Gryffindor and was pretty offended

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    The ladyfriend and I have had disagreements bordering on heated about whether I'm Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff

(I insist the former, she's adamant it's the latter)

Bronx tale.jpeg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Apparently I'm Ravenclaw, but I think I'm a bit Slytherin as well.

So slytherclaw?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My first try put me in Slytherin. Fuck that, now I'm happily in Ravenclaw, lol.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Apparently there are American houses now? Ilvermorny?

I'm house Pukwudgie apparently.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

ME TOO!

I CALL TOP BUNK!

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    See astrology isnt so bad
    Its at least its better than talking bout harry potter

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

Me too but I don't know what that means

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    I'm a Hufflepuff which I find quite fitting. Also a Thunderbird in the American system. Which is a way cooler name.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

Nah.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm a Hufflepuff with a black mamba patronus.

And I'm a horned serpent house for Ilvermorny school. Horned serpent represents the mind andfavors scholars, apparently.

I'm currently rereading Harry Potter.

wait.

I share a house with John Cena?

That makes me happier than it should.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Regarding Harry Potter, I've never understood:
    why they didn't abolish the house system entirely by the time of the epilogue. It seems like all it does is create artificial class boundaries in the magical community, at least in regards to British magic users. And other magical schools, like Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, seem to work just fine without the house system. So, what up with that?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    why they didn't abolish the house system entirely by the time of the epilogue. It seems like all it does is create artificial class boundaries in the magical community, at least in regards to British magic users. And other magical schools, like Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, seem to work just fine without the house system. So, what up with that?

wizards are assholes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

Sounds like something a Hufflepuff would say.

• Options
    Pukwudgies are teeny little magical porcupine goblins.

Yes, hmm, I see

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Ravenclaw, Thunderbird, with a dragonfly. Guess that means I'm a nerd?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Haha, look at this friggin' nerd

Me and my 'Wudgies are gonna dunk you so hard, Skeith.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I got Hufflepuff, Thunderbird, and a dragon as my Patronus.

Somehow the combination of Hufflepuff (inoffensive and nice), Thunderbird (Adventurer) and Dragon (kickass) makes me feel like I'm supposed to like, stumble through adventure and get by thanks to luck. Seems appropriate.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Aren't class houses just like, a thing in british boarding schools?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I got Hufflepuff, Thunderbird, and a dragon as my Patronus.

Somehow the combination of Hufflepuff (inoffensive and nice), Thunderbird (Adventurer) and Dragon (kickass) makes me feel like I'm supposed to like, stumble through adventure and get by thanks to luck. Seems appropriate.

It's always a good time when you got some Thunderbird.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    It's an American classic!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Magician, Sun, The Lovers
    House Dimir

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Simic has long been my guild of choice, but to be honest I'm starting to think I may be more of a Golgari

I dunno, I'm conflicted

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh hey turns out Ted Cruz started selling off his email list to the Trumpster weeks after dropping out and making bank despiaaaaaaaaand we're talking about Harry Potter now?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Simic has long been my guild of choice, but to be honest I'm starting to think I may be more of a Golgari

I dunno, I'm conflicted

Golgari has always been my favorite guild and color pair

this week I took the Harry Potter tests and apparently my Patronus is a magpie and my house is Slytherin

so apparently I'm consistent across fantasy universes, and those Pottermore tests have got my number

• Options
    I was gonna talk about Labour being shitheads again, but it's way more fun to talk about Ravnica Guilds

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was gonna talk about Labour being shitheads again, but it's way more fun to talk about Ravnica Guilds

I figure I can basically peace out of uk politics until after the next election when corbyn loses. Nothing is changing until then.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

20081015.gif

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

I figure I can basically peace out of uk politics until after the next election when corbyn loses. Nothing is changing until then.

I dislike Corbyn with an intensity that I never thought I could muster for a politician in a country that I do not live in

his supporters defend him with a fervor that seems pretty surprising, given how he (at least, from my admittedly underinformed perspective) seems to be terrible at actually getting things done or managing his party

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

A big theme in the series is that things don't just get fixed instantly. Voldamort dies but the fundamental problems in wizard society stick around because fixing them is hard and long and most good people can still support bad things.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I mean... I went to a college that was heavy on traditions, and there's definitely a general concept of:

"Yes, this tradition is shitty and has shitty impications, but the social benefits and way it connects you to previous students is worth it. And even if we're not sure that's true, it's questionable enough that we as a class aren't going to rock the boat to change it."

I can definitely see why the wizarding world would keep Houses even knowing that it promotes classism and resentment, even without invoking "because we're a magical world that only works the way it does to serve the plot."

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    folks do love their traditions, even when they're ill-advised, and it can be hard as heck to get rid of them

especially when they're tinged with the nostalgia for one's good old college days

for example, the difficult battle that Ole Miss's own administration had to fight to get their fans to stop waving the confederate flag at games

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It is physically exhausting convincing my supervisor that a protest vote is an indirect vote for Trump. Like it wears me down more than these 72 hour weeks but goddamn if I can just let it go.

"I'm gonna research 3rd party candidates to find one I like"

No vote Clinton so in four years there is still a government and you can vote for someone you actually want to win.

Like he has said "Trump can't be allowed to be president" then followed that up with writing in Mickey Mouse.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Ha, I'm somehow in Gryffindor and my patronus is a St. Bernard Dog. I can live with being a loyal overly brave idiot i guess.

I spent way too much time thinking about tomorrows debate today. I'm guessing that now based on the whole "not fact checking" thing it will come out as a tie. And will be rather dull at that. Then the media will spend more time talking about how dull it was in a media circle jerk. But that night or the next day, Trump will shit the bed with some idiotic tweets while claiming he won in such a way that those become the narrative after the debate. The polls will remain unchanged, maybe up a little for Clinton.

I just really hope she does go a little bit wonky just so some info about her plans get out there that have nothing to do with trump. Just a fair amount.

Barcardi on
This discussion has been closed.