As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mafia III] As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to kill gangsters

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am now planning to buy this

I'm reallllly digging it

And I'm all about that city takeover

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    You know, I've never once had that problem of a game not "fitting" into the bounds of the screen until now

The top of the UI is cut off on my TV and there's no in game option to change the borders, so I had to do it at a system level

You can adjust the border in game. The options menu is weird though. You have to scroll to the right to find it.

Where?

Display only has brightness, and there's nowhere to scroll

It's not in any of the other options menus either

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    You know, I've never once had that problem of a game not "fitting" into the bounds of the screen until now

The top of the UI is cut off on my TV and there's no in game option to change the borders, so I had to do it at a system level

You can adjust the border in game. The options menu is weird though. You have to scroll to the right to find it.

Where?

Display only has brightness, and there's nowhere to scroll

It's not in any of the other options menus either

It's right below the brightness settings, but I'm playing it on the xbox. Weird that it would be different between consoles.

• Options
    Maybe that was part of a patch?

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I have the patch on the PS4 and the only option I see under display is Brightness.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I love Brendon Chungs tweets about all the great touches he finds in games

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Wow that second slide

That's great

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Graphically this game's a bit of a mess, lots of weird visual glitches

Have had a couple cutscenes repeat on me now inexplicably

And gunplay is only just okay, while driving is honestly just kinda bad. Stealth is not frustrating but also insanely easy

But goddamn this game has heart

Not often do I disregard gameplay elements in favor of simply exploring more of the world and engaging with it but this game right here really has me down for what it's selling

• Options
    I really love the animation in this game

Reminds me a bit of Assassin's Creed 3 in terms of defining it's protagonist.

The game so far is pretty ok.

It's not bad, and there are a lot of touches that make me love bits of it. But it's also just not great.

I don't mind that i played near full price for it.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oof, the cutscene in the Haitian church had zero sound for me, I have subtitles on now just in case, but of course they're tiny too. The game over screen is great, though hopefully there's some variety to it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    This looks like a game I'll really enjoy when I see it on special months from now

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I would put this game in the same camp as Just Cause 3

It should be an amazing landmark achievement

but it's just pretty good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Unfortunately just cause 3 was unplayable on Xbox one for me because of a framerate that was consistently between 10-20. so I'm hoping that it's not the same in that area. Like I don't mind a smooth 30 that occasionally has trouble, but just cause 3 was like playing in slow motion

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Alright, I think I've had my fill

I didn't play any of the other Mafia games, but I hear the main problem with 2 is it would've been better as a linear game

This is no different

I want the cinematic story stuff and it's just not there, I actually feel a little swindled, and I'm the one with a No Man's Sky profile theme

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    I feel like most open world crime games lately could be improved by being more linear, or at least more tightly paced. Like imagine a game like this with Hitman's level of systemic interaction.

Sadly there's no definite market for that kind of experience, at least not one that'll pay $60. So instead it's just variations on GTA's decade-and-half old formula

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    Just bought this!

I love when a game I didn't have too much interest in ends up really surprising me

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so I've been collecting the collectables

the playboys have articles on them you can read haha

also man, what was up with the 60s that all the ladies were so awesome looking

• Options
    I was surprised they kept the Playboy stuff, that was in Mafia 2 as well and they tried to make a big deal out of it

The Vargas paintings are really cool

• Options
    I bet the Playboy stuff is in here because they signed a multi-game deal

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I loved when the guys on Giantbomb looked at the playboy in the preview and were all "Oh damn! It's right there!" In regards to the nudity.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I just looked up how the rest of this game goes, and oh my god does this game have an ending
    blah blah blah either Lincoln becomes a crime boss or leaves New Bordeaux and that life behind

But most importantly

Your CIA buddy Donovan who is in that senate hearing in the documentary footage the whole game reveals at the very end that he helped with all of this, because Sal Marcano, the guy who fucks Lincoln over at the start of the game and the whole premise is hunting him down, was a member of the conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy

And then Donovan takes out a gun and shoots the senator in charge of the hearing and says the senator was implicated as part of the conspiracy too

The game ends on Donovan pledging to hunt down every other member of the conspiracy and walking out on the hearing after murdering the senator

That's real

I watched it

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    very tempted to click that spoiler, as it's probably going to take me quite a while to finish this game

but at the same time I probably want to see it myself.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I clicked it, as I'm not going to be playing this one, as cool as it seems.

Holy shit if you are playing the game, DO NOT CLICK THAT SPOILER. You will want to see it for yourself. I'm going to have to wander over to youtube now to watch it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I clicked on that spoiler because I thought "how weird could it be"

And uh

Wow

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh this game is probably going to take like 60 hours for me to finish

uuuuuuuuuuguguggghggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Damn it

This may be the first thing in a long time I don't spoil myself on

I'm into its story that much

• Options
    I JUST FOUND THE BEST THING

YOU CAN KICK OPEN LOCKED DOORS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THE MINIGAME EVERY TIME

• Options
    edited October 2016
    also, I'm now really digging this game

it's gotten into a great rhythm, and while not as focused as one might like, it's a great world to keep on dipping into. You just get to keep on doing fun hit and runs against a bunch of shitty gangsters, and the music, the vehicles and the setting make it great. The things that let it down are ok, but not awful.

Also, it's now got good keybindings, and it runs at 60fps (although I really can't tell the difference, especially in gameplay)

edit: THE BORDERLESS FULLSCREEN IS ALSO FIXED

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My internet is so bad that I'll have to download this at night, for like the next six days.

And then it MIGHT be done. Maybe.

• Options
    finally got to the part where you go around killing the KKK and messing up their shit

• Options
    I accidentally let one of the racket leaders live the other night and I feel genuinely awful about it

• Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    Pro Tip: Under each type of gun's tab at the weapons van, at the far right, past the locked weapons, are upgrades related to that gun type. Early on you can start working up accuracy and it felt like a pretty big upgrade to me, though I was already liking the combat.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    finally finished this

it was pretty good. ultimately not great, nowhere near as great as what I was hoping, but still pretty good

the spoiler twist wasn't as huge as I'd hoped, although it was kinda funny

it didn't quite know how to do setpieces so well, and the gunplay was pretty good, but ultimately a little flat in these parts?

but it was still pretty solid, and I enjoyed it

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    finally finished this

it was pretty good. ultimately not great, nowhere near as great as what I was hoping, but still pretty good

it didn't quite know how to do setpieces so well, and the gunplay was pretty good, but ultimately a little flat in these parts?

Would you rate it better or worse than Mad Max?

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    finally finished this

Would you rate it better or worse than Mad Max?

never played mad max, unfortunately. Might have some of the same problems, but, at least, unlike what I heard about mad max, it doesn't repeat exactly the same boss every time for everything.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So. Uh. Just before the final mission.
    What was up with those modern covers?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Oh my god that ending is amazing

• Options
    John Donovan is the hero America deserves

• Options
    People who've seen the full game
    Do they even foreshadow the JFK stuff at ALL?

It really does not sound like it!

6F32U1X.png