As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    We got a few gamer gate forum raids too

I liked the bit when someone found the pastebin that one of the raiders was getting their posts from.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    evilbob wrote: »

I liked the bit when someone found the pastebin that one of the raiders was getting their posts from.

Heck, we found actual active 4chan threads they were organizing from.

As if it was some deep secret we couldn't possibly have heard of.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

My favorite was some rando's thread on another platform like 'Hey maybe we should use the PA forums to organize GG!' and Tube responding 'Hi, I'm the admin of those forums and you absolutely may not'.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube:

You've expressed several times a total dissatisfaction with the corporate/commercial routes available to you as a community manager. I can understand that.

You also make frequent comments alluding to, apologies if I misquote you, the idea that you don't really want to be the cat herder around here forever. We ARE a reprehensible lot.

So if the dream career isn't making $texas hawking your understanding of people management to companies, but you also don't want to be in charge of forum management forever, where WOULD you like to see yourself? What's the core skillset that you really identify with most? I really enjoyed reading your blog posts about community management, and while you have interpersonal skills and psych/management capabilities, it seemed like one of your passions was more along the lines of system design. You managed the flow of the community systems. Is there another path down that way for you?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube,

Carmen Sandiego or Where's Waldo?

Also, are there any improvements to the forums that you think we need, are there any that are in the works, and are there any aspects of the forums you think are underutilized?

The Carmen Sandiego games were fuckin rad.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    H/A used to be much more active, but also more of a cluster duck (you can have that one, Siri). What happened, and do you like the current state of H/A.

Also, why did the workout thread go away?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    What is your favorite Microprose game?

Master of Magic has to be on the list

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Master of Magic has to be on the list

I mean, I like it a lot.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Heck, we found actual active 4chan threads they were organizing from.

As if it was some deep secret we couldn't possibly have heard of.

Outsiders reading ma chans?

It's more likely than you think!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tube:

You've expressed several times a total dissatisfaction with the corporate/commercial routes available to you as a community manager. I can understand that.

You also make frequent comments alluding to, apologies if I misquote you, the idea that you don't really want to be the cat herder around here forever. We ARE a reprehensible lot.

So if the dream career isn't making $texas hawking your understanding of people management to companies, but you also don't want to be in charge of forum management forever, where WOULD you like to see yourself? What's the core skillset that you really identify with most? I really enjoyed reading your blog posts about community management, and while you have interpersonal skills and psych/management capabilities, it seemed like one of your passions was more along the lines of system design. You managed the flow of the community systems. Is there another path down that way for you?

There's some stuff I'm going to be doing in the future that is more like the kind of things that I like, but it's too soon to talk about and I don't want to jinx it. It's PA based.
    VishNub wrote: »
    H/A used to be much more active, but also more of a cluster duck (you can have that one, Siri). What happened, and do you like the current state of H/A.

Also, why did the workout thread go away?

People got more venues to ask for help I guess? I don't know, that forum gets insane traffic as it is, I don't care that much if activity has dropped off. As for less of a cluster fuck, people just get used to the atmosphere you're trying to create I think. These forums drift away from entropy over time.

The fitness thread was a shithole, and wasn't really within the remit of H&A. It's not supposed to be a place that has huge recurring threads about a particular topic.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube,

Carmen Sandiego or Where's Waldo?

Also, are there any improvements to the forums that you think we need, are there any that are in the works, and are there any aspects of the forums you think are underutilized?

I've never played Carmen Sandiego so Where's Waldo (Wally) wins by default. For the second I think badging could be improved a lot and it's something we're looking into.

Civ 2 wins in a barely contested field

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Civ 1 was the best. Conquering the world with a single catapult in Win 3.1? Yes please.

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    These days I just ask for advice on Twitter or search Reddit. H/A was more useful to me back when the internet wasn't quite as vast.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Civ 1 was the best. Conquering the world with a single catapult in Win 3.1? Yes please.

honestly I just miss getting to customize my throne room

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Civ 2 wins in a barely contested field

No complaints, noble leader.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

honestly I just miss getting to customize my throne room

When I was a much younger man I believed that the peak of in-game success was having that throne room pop up to add another piece to it.

Needly to say I was not very good at Civilization 2.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I have a question about the glorious edict, because I am a massive pedant. The wording is that “silly goose” is the only insult that can be used on the forums, but it doesn't specify whether this just means "to other forumers" or just in general. I.e, I know I'm not allowed to call people here names, but I've seen other forumers call various people/characters horrible things without repercussions so I'm assuming there's some sensible amount of leeway here. Does the edict apply to equally to Donald Trump and Donald Duck for instance, given that the former is unlikely to be a reader of these forums, and the latter is fictional?

... and also I'd be hard-pressed to choose between Civ and XCOM myself.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I have a question about the glorious edict, because I am a massive pedant. The wording is that “silly goose” is the only insult that can be used on the forums, but it doesn't specify whether this just means "to other forumers" or just in general. I.e, I know I'm not allowed to call people here names, but I've seen other forumers call various people/characters horrible things without repercussions so I'm assuming there's some sensible amount of leeway here. Does the edict apply to equally to Donald Trump and Donald Duck for instance, given that the former is unlikely to be a reader of these forums, and the latter is fictional?

The latter is also extremely close to a literal silly goose.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Daffy's closer.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Six wrote: »

Daffy's closer.

Well, would silly gander be acceptable?

What about silly gosling?

Veevee on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    The edict has gotten enforced in regards to non-forumers in the past, or more accurately people who may technically have forum accounts but don't actually post (like Ben Kuchera or other current or former PA staff members).

I've also seen it not so much directly enforced but firmly suggested to be followed with regards to a variety of different folks, ranging from gaming journalists to politicians.

As a rule of thumb, I don't know that it's a bad idea to ask yourself "What are the realistic odds the person I'm about to insult would actually Google their name, find the PA forums, and see I said something shitty about them or in regards to them?" before saying something really insulting and rude about a famous person of some stripe.

Because the answer "of course not, they'd never know about or care about anything I post on the PA forums" is not as uh... bullet-proof as you think.

Maybe take my word on that. Maybe take Tube's.

• Options
    It's deliberately ambiguous. Realistically, you are not going to get hit with an edict violation for insulting a non-forum member. The reason it's ambiguous was, at the time, known to me as the "Sarah Palin Is A Cunt" stipulation. I leave it there in the event that a personal insult is sufficiently odious that we need a stick to ward it off with. It's much more likely to be a "hey, knock it off, edict" than a warning, because the SPIAC stipulation is so rarely applied. I think it's come up three or four times.

Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end. There's a lot of hedging in the legislation of it for that reason, but it turned out that purely by chance the original drafting of the edict pretty much nailed it.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

Daffy's closer.

Well, would silly gander be acceptable?

What about silly gosling?

Literally nothing but Silly Goose is acceptable. I'm not even a big fan of just "goose". That's really pushing it. If you change the adjective I would throw out a warning for it. A lot of people think they can get away with "stupid goose" or whatever.

Also it cannot be stressed enough that people should not attempt to put any kind of stink on silly goose. It will not work. You will sound stupid.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's funny: I remember a time before the Glorious Edict, I remember a time after, but I don't remember the move from the one to the other. Perhaps it happened at a time when I was busy otherwise and was less active than now, but it still seems a weird lapse of memory.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Everyone who was super against the edict has either left or quietly pretends that they were not against it.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's deliberately ambiguous. Realistically, you are not going to get hit with an edict violation for insulting a non-forum member. The reason it's ambiguous was, at the time, known to me as the "Sarah Palin Is A Cunt" stipulation. I leave it there in the event that a personal insult is sufficiently odious that we need a stick to ward it off with. It's much more likely to be a "hey, knock it off, edict" than a warning, because the SPIAC stipulation is so rarely applied. I think it's come up three or four times.

Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end. There's a lot of hedging in the legislation of it for that reason, but it turned out that purely by chance the original drafting of the edict pretty much nailed it.

Indeed, I had no idea this was the case but I guess it doesn't surprise me that people reacted this way.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    The Edict is pretty much the only reason I've kept reading these boards over the years. Every once in a while I'll remember or actually read some of the old pre-edict threads (like looking up old ghost story threads and what have you) and it was not an environment I would have any desire to participate in as a ~30yo adult. I don't know how much of that was the GE itself and how much of it was simply that there's a fairly stable user base here that's aged together over the years, but the number of people in their 30s and 40s who are willing to be atrocious at full volume on other platforms (like twitter) lead me to believe it's got more to do with the former.

• Options
    Tube, do you have a rough breakdown of users' nationalities? I'm asking in connection with the Glorious Edict: most of the communities I've been a part of had clear majorities very much in favour of US-style freedom of speech (with any perceived restriction of FoS being described as outright censorship), yet this community seems to have survived the move to more qualified freedom of speech intact. I'm wondering if this may at least partly be due to a relatively large proportion of non-Americans.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Tube, do you have a rough breakdown of users' nationalities? I'm asking in connection with the Glorious Edict: most of the communities I've been a part of had clear majorities very much in favour of US-style freedom of speech (with any perceived restriction of FoS being described as outright censorship), yet this community seems to have survived the move to more qualified freedom of speech intact. I'm wondering if this may at least partly be due to a relatively large proportion of non-Americans.

I feel it's pretty important for Americans to realize that "Freedom of Speech" is only protected from interference from the government. I think a lot of people here probably understand that.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

it could be that very slightly restricted speech on an internet forum has absolutely no real life consequences for the speaker, and thus nothing could have been expected to happen other than the community surviving it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The restrictions on speech aren't even really content based. There are some content restrictions but they're for such obvious reasons it's hard to be too riled up about them.

Add on top that ultimately we are all guests here enjoying Mike and Jerry's hospitality and I've always found the "Free Speech!" arguments a bit silly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I understand what you're saying, but they've been true for other communities as well, yet the ones I've seen have come down hard on any perceived threats to what they consider the baseline for FoS, regardless of your points. And those were fairly mellow communities on the whole. Tube himself wrote that "Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end," so it seems that there was a fair bit of resistance.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I understand what you're saying, but they've been true for other communities as well, yet the ones I've seen have come down hard on any perceived threats to what they consider the baseline for FoS, regardless of your points. And those were fairly mellow communities on the whole. Tube himself wrote that "Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end," so it seems that there was a fair bit of resistance.

There's always resistance to change, especially to things people feel entitled to. Doesn't really mean it's a tangible problem.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Twitter is a pretty good argument against free speech on the internet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I feel it's pretty important for Americans to realize that "Freedom of Speech" is only protected from interference from the government. I think a lot of people here probably understand that.

I have to explain that concept to people in the UK, it's just not americans who don't get it.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I have to explain that concept to people in the UK, it's just not americans who don't get it.

Well, sure. But as it's mostly Americans that it applies to, the fact that they don't get it is much more frustrating.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I don't know how laws work in the UK regarding that, so I didn't want to comment

• Options

I don't know how laws work in the UK regarding that, so I didn't want to comment

it's just whatever the queen says right?

• Options
    Duffel wrote: »
    The Edict is pretty much the only reason I've kept reading these boards over the years. Every once in a while I'll remember or actually read some of the old pre-edict threads (like looking up old ghost story threads and what have you) and it was not an environment I would have any desire to participate in as a ~30yo adult. I don't know how much of that was the GE itself and how much of it was simply that there's a fairly stable user base here that's aged together over the years, but the number of people in their 30s and 40s who are willing to be atrocious at full volume on other platforms (like twitter) lead me to believe it's got more to do with the former.

The GE is more of a figurehead for a general shift in moderation strategy. It didn't do much on its own. The moderation staff is, broadly speaking, older than the average member and are uniformly exhausted with hostile internet culture. I certainly am, and legislate against it at every opportunity.

The forums are overwhelmingly American.

People who bring up FOS on the internet are, broadly speaking, talking about FOS as it applies to their right to be an arsehole. No other form of FOS is ever so enshrined, and this applies to both the right and the left. Our policy, again broadly speaking, is "do not be an arsehole". I don't really care about your political or social views as long as you are capable of expressing them without being an arsehole. I believe pretty strongly in the platonic ideal of freedom of speech, but in the context of this community I believe more strongly in "don't be an arsehole".

As for people who try to invoke the first amendment, they get nothing out of me. It simply doesn't apply. This is private property, we can kick you out of our garden for any reason we want. Making a first amendment argument in any form to me regarding forum misbehaviour will not only get you nowhere with me, it will also cause me to immediately file you under "idiot".

There's a good community analogy that I did not come up with but am happy to co opt: if you run a bar and a group of hell's angels move in and act according to stereotype, there are only two paths available to you:
    A. You kick the hell's angels out
    B. You run a biker bar now
    Your regular patrons are, one way or another, going to stop coming to your bar if the problem is not checked. User curation is a concept that community managers are legitimately fucking terrified of, and it's about 30% of what I do here. There are a lot of occasions when a user will say "this action that you have performed has made me not want to post here!" as they point a virtual finger at me and quiver. This is generally a thing that I am doing deliberately. I am making the forums a place where hell's angels do not want to hang out. I'm going to swing this back around to free speech now, check it out.

Online communities at present are dominated by two groups who each want to pull the community in mutually exclusive directions:
    Group A cares nothing for free speech, and often actively resents it, and wants a community that is insulated from world views that they consider harmful. They are, stereotypically, liberal, but conservative communities also exist with this mindset. They care that people are "decent", where the given value of decent is "aligns with my liberal progressive worldview".
    Group B cares nothing for being "decent", and often actively resents "decency". They want a community where they can say and do whatever they want without being fettered by such concepts. They are stereotypically conservative, but liberal communities exist with this mindset. They care that the forum has "freedom", where the given value of "freedom" is "I can treat people however I want without consequence"

Both groups essentially want the same thing: a community where no one is allowed to disagree with them. They just want it enforced in different ways. Group A wants me to do it for them, to create an environment where dissent is not tolerated. Group B wants to do it themselves, through hostility and rhetoric that drives out anyone who disagrees with them. Both sides are simply hiding behind a banner. Group A doesn't really care for decency unless it's applied in a way that suits them, and Group B cares little for freedom of speech unless it suits them. Neither group has a problem using coercion to apply their whims to this, a piece of private property.

These groups exist on a spectrum, and only the extremes present a problem. If we see A as up and B as down (deliberately avoiding left/right for obvious reasons), I desire a community that is centre up. A healthy regard for free speech and the free exchange of ideas, but with a low tolerance for being a hostile shithead. I don't want extremes of either group to exist here, and will actively push them out through legislation that makes this a hostile environment for them.

The free exchange of ideas is limited in some ways however. I have no desire to make this a forum where people can denigrate transgender people or express racist or misogynistic viewpoints. The juice is not worth the squeeze, that particular brand of free speech brings the community nothing that I am interested in housing. There is ample precedent in other communities that allowing those discussions is allowing the figurative hell's angels to roost. See: reddit, twitter.

• Options
    You now, collectively, owe me 200 dollars at which point I will spell check that post and call it an article.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

that doesn't really speak to the intrinsic value of free , open and safe communication venues. Yes the first amendment only protects speech from government suppression, but there is value in open dialogue where people can express unpopular opinions. if limitations are placed on speech by private organizations, ideally they support a free exchange of ideas(as the glorious edict and anti-dickbaggery rules do) rather than enforce an echo chamber. sure suppressing descenting opinions isn't unconstitutional, but it is not a good thing.

or, like, whatever.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.