As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    nm

VishNub on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    "3 things the forum admin don't want you to know!"
    Seperated out on to 6 different pages.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    VishNub wrote: »
    nm

Something like 40k.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    nm

Something like 40k.

I'm hoping this deleted question was "How much is your warhammer?"

Tube, do you have any other stats besides nationality on who posts here? Gender, religion, etc?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    You now, collectively, owe me 200 dollars at which point I will spell check that post and call it an article.

I thought it was really good, especially the biker bar part and the explanation of the up / down spectrum. We'll bill you for the strategy, which after-all, is simply asking the right questions.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's deliberately ambiguous. Realistically, you are not going to get hit with an edict violation for insulting a non-forum member. The reason it's ambiguous was, at the time, known to me as the "Sarah Palin Is A Cunt" stipulation. I leave it there in the event that a personal insult is sufficiently odious that we need a stick to ward it off with. It's much more likely to be a "hey, knock it off, edict" than a warning, because the SPIAC stipulation is so rarely applied. I think it's come up three or four times.

Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end. There's a lot of hedging in the legislation of it for that reason, but it turned out that purely by chance the original drafting of the edict pretty much nailed it.

Huh, really? Crazy.

I remember the rule coming down and my current recollection of my thinking being like "Well, Nero has gone a bit nutty but whatever, it's not a big deal".

Honestly I kinda thought at the time it was gonna be some temporary bit of silliness.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    You now, collectively, owe me 200 dollars at which point I will spell check that post and call it an article.

I thought it was really good, especially the biker bar part and the explanation of the up / down spectrum. We'll bill you for the strategy, which after-all, is simply asking the right questions.
    I will send you my Swiss bank account number.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    nm

Something like 40k.

I'm hoping this deleted question was "How much is your warhammer?"

Tube, do you have any other stats besides nationality on who posts here? Gender, religion, etc?

Gender I could probably pull out, although I think we got rid of that field. Religion no. I can pull out anything we ask on registration. I have no real interest in that demographic data though, I don't want to use the community for that.
    shryke wrote: »
    It's deliberately ambiguous. Realistically, you are not going to get hit with an edict violation for insulting a non-forum member. The reason it's ambiguous was, at the time, known to me as the "Sarah Palin Is A Cunt" stipulation. I leave it there in the event that a personal insult is sufficiently odious that we need a stick to ward it off with. It's much more likely to be a "hey, knock it off, edict" than a warning, because the SPIAC stipulation is so rarely applied. I think it's come up three or four times.

Like much of the edict, it was left relatively open because of the edict's potential to be a complete fucking disaster. People forget that, at the time, the edict was seen as my biggest fuckup and a clear sign that my adminship was about to end. There's a lot of hedging in the legislation of it for that reason, but it turned out that purely by chance the original drafting of the edict pretty much nailed it.

Huh, really? Crazy.

I remember the rule coming down and my current recollection of my thinking being like "Well, Nero has gone a bit nutty but whatever, it's not a big deal".

Honestly I kinda thought at the time it was gonna be some temporary bit of silliness.

It was deliberately framed as a temporary bit of silliness so I could walk it back if it was a disaster

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Where do we send the check? Although I already went massively into that Thornwatch kickstarter to get the fancy wood box...

Seriously, that post captures a lot of what I've been thinking about why I love being in this community, while also explaining the flaws in an even-handed manner.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

It turns out, the D&D was inside Tube all along!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I think the D&D was the friends we made along the way.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tube I don't know if it's been asked in other threads but are the PA staff still involved with Khoo socially? I don't know what he's up to these days but I like to imagine he's secretly a government agent preparing to do something super badass we'll never read about.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Tube I don't know if it's been asked in other threads but are the PA staff still involved with Khoo socially? I don't know what he's up to these days but I like to imagine he's secretly a government agent preparing to do something super badass we'll never read about.

Yeah, we all still love Khoo. It's toughest for me actually, because I'm not local and he and I mainly hung out when I was in town for PAX. I'm going to send him a present soon but I can't say what it is because he sometimes reads these

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I think the D&D was the friends we made along the way.

Checks out.

All my friends are 6,000+ words with APA style endnotes too.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    nm

Something like 40k.

Are previous versions/edits stored somewhere?

• Options
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

• Options
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

Doomed. Nothing can be unsaid.

• Options
    I did not see any problems with the original post

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

That brings up an interesting (to me at least) question.

When people do the whole, "post awful thing/edit post with 'oh no i shouldn't'" thing, if the original post was terrible enough, does/would that ever outweigh their repentance, or at least realization that they went too far?

I think sometimes people do it as a means to get their nasty post out in the open and then quickly cover it up.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

There are no ads to click. For which I am grateful. That post felt rude.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

When people do the whole, "post awful thing/edit post with 'oh no i shouldn't'" thing, if the original post was terrible enough, does/would that ever outweigh their repentance, or at least realization that they went too far?

I think sometimes people do it as a means to get their nasty post out in the open and then quickly cover it up.

If the original post is shitty enough they're likely to get dinged unless their repentance reaches "visited by three ghosts" levels. Generally if it's "I regret this thing" or "whoops I broke a rule" what you originally wrote doesn't matter.

Also if your post has an edit stamp basic human curiosity means that I am certainly going to check out what you edited

• Options

There will one day be ads to click.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

If the original post is shitty enough they're likely to get dinged unless their repentance reaches "visited by three ghosts" levels. Generally if it's "I regret this thing" or "whoops I broke a rule" what you originally wrote doesn't matter.

Also if your post has an edit stamp basic human curiosity means that I am certainly going to check out what you edited

You always check edited posts when you see them?

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

Wouldn't you?

Also only if I suspect there's something juicy in the edit.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

oh no all my awful autocorrect typos!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    nm

Something like 40k.

For me, sure.

Wouldn't you?

Also only if I suspect there's something juicy in the edit.

Now I have yet another reason to feel morally superior when I add my "Edit:" footnotes. I saved Tube 7 seconds of pointless clicking.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

There will one day be ads to click.

Can you elaborate on this?

How/why are there currently no ads, and how/why would that change?

• Options
    There are currently no ads because we can't remove them for Club PA members, who have no ads as part of their whole deal. That will change once we have everything plumbed in. The why is so that the forums can come somewhere closer to covering their costs.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Will they be good ads or bad ads

Do you have enough choice to bring us in to deployment decision making

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    We don't really do bad ads. They'll most likely be house ads for things like products on the store. There aren't going to be any redirects or fancy flash shit.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    can we get like giant evony ads

is evony still a thing

whichever is the current browser game that advertises using elfish ladies with giant boobs even though that has nothing to do with the game

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Like look at the ad for pish fidget on the front page. It'll look like that.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Will we have the option to buy ads targeted at users who post in specific subforums and engaging in good-natured ribbing of users in said forums?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What I am most concerned about is how the ads will use the mobile screen space. If prior to implementation you could run a poll of possible UIs I would appreciate it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    TL DR wrote: »
    Will we have the option to buy ads targeted at users who post in specific subforums and engaging in good-natured ribbing of users in said forums?

I like this idea. Like have just one project wonderful ad box so we can pay a few bucks to have "Tilder is a silly goose" for 5 minutes : )

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    What I am most concerned about is how the ads will use the mobile screen space. If prior to implementation you could run a poll of possible UIs I would appreciate it

We won't run a poll of possible UIs because there won't be the option to change them. I'm not sure if ads even show up on mobile, my hunch is no.

• Options
    I've said this a lot, but it bears repeating: the answer to "can/will you change this feature or part of the UI/theme" is almost certainly "no".

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

Nope

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah, we all still love Khoo. It's toughest for me actually, because I'm not local and he and I mainly hung out when I was in town for PAX. I'm going to send him a present soon but I can't say what it is because he sometimes reads these

It's a Clone-A-Willy of your dick, isn't it? So that no matter where he ends up next he can always slap idiots in the mouth with it if need be.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    oh when I asked about hangouts I meant if we would ever have additional hangouts like the holiday hangout

like a thanksgiving hangout (even though canadians have their own thanksgiving)

or maybe you could auction off the ability to ask for a hangout at a certain time for child's play! maybe that would be a terrible idea.