Options

Not [Chat]Some Enough

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Does anyone actually carry warhammers in Warhammer or is it all chainsaw swords and walking skulltanks and blood

IIRC the title is from Warhammer fantasy. The God Sigmar has a big ass warhammer.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I like Donald Sutherland, I like it when he is the antagonist I was going to say, until I remembered The Hungry Games

Which I did not like, not one jot

My stepdad asked "has Donald Sutherland ever played a role where he wasn't a slimy piece of shit?"

All I could come up with was the film version of M*A*S*H
    I haven't seen it but what about the one movie where he plays a father whose son died

ordinary people? was he in that?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If hillary wins Texas I will donate a 3ds Or equivalent $$$ to a child's play hospital in Ivanka Trumps name

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    One of my pet peeves is people making irrelevant responses to contexts with specific statements effectively ignoring the context of the specific statement.

Like "first time or struggling players players should use gun type A as it has a lower skill floor than gun type B and so will have a better chance with A"
    To which someone responds
    "I have never have any trouble using gun type b to complete this"

Which ignores that the advice was aimed at new or struggling players, and it's just generally irrelevant.

This in turn reminds me of a conversation that Sam Harris and Neil deGrasse Tyson had about Sam Harris having problems with effective communication. Tyson pointed out that Harris' statements about profiling will always be met with reactions like "not all Muslims are terrorists" despite the fact that this is explicitly acknowledged by his position because statistics are a recent discovery and thinking in terms of probability is a learned skill not an innate function of common sense. Which is an interesting idea and one that I think captures a lot of what is interesting about where conversations often break down.

Except I think I would extend it and wonder whether thinking about anything in terms of sets and subsets and thus taking context into account is also a learned skill and sets themselves are a recent discovery

The alternative is that people are simply not careful readers and listeners, but I think that is not the case and people do this despite dedicating their attention.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves is people making irrelevant responses to contexts with specific statements effectively ignoring the context of the specific statement.

Like "first time or struggling players players should use gun type A as it has a lower skill floor than gun type B and so will have a better chance with A"
    To which someone responds
    "I have never have any trouble using gun type b to complete this"

Which ignores that the advice was aimed at new or struggling players, and it's just generally irrelevant.

This in turn reminds me of a conversation that Sam Harris and Neil deGrasse Tyson had about Sam Harris having problems with effective communication. Tyson pointed out that Harris' statements about profiling will always be met with reactions like "not all Muslims are terrorists" despite the fact that this is explicitly acknowledged by his position because statistics are a recent discovery and thinking in terms of probability is a learned skill not an innate function of common sense. Which is an interesting idea and one that I think captures a lot of what is interesting about where conversations often break down.

Except I think I would extend it and wonder whether thinking about anything in terms of sets and subsets and thus taking context into account is also a learned skill and sets themselves are a recent discovery

The alternative is that people are simply not careful readers and listeners, but I think that is not the case and people do this despite dedicating their attention.
    listen I never have trouble with subsets

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamer.com/code-analysis-of-no-mans-sky-praises-engine-criticises-unfinished-game/

I really hope they are not grabbing the money and running.
    They need to finish the game. It is going to ruin their reputation if they don't.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    http://www.pcgamer.com/code-analysis-of-no-mans-sky-praises-engine-criticises-unfinished-game/

They need to finish the game. It is going to ruin their reputation if they don't.

Counter-Point: If they've made enough money that they don't need to work again, does the reputation still matter?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Counter-Point: If they've made enough money that they don't need to work again, does the reputation still matter?

It depends if they are willing to let their company die or not.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think their reputation is pretty well ruined already.

Which is a shame, I like the little bit of the game I played and it was pretty much what I expected.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Wayne Gretzky is on Colbert right now and the man looks like he'd be billed as "Generic Evil British Politician" in a dystopian sci-fi movie.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    He looks rough. Like, wearing someone else's face on his face rough.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

One of the devs sold his house to keep the doors open. There's definitely a pride factor going on here.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    @MrMister

I read your summary.
    That seems cool. I have a friend who would probably be crazy all about that paper. He's big in bioethics stuff. He focuses on clinical practice, but has studied some stuff from Bonnie Steinbock (who actually just retired from my department) about harm against the non-existent.

I'm not sold by your summary. I kind of buy the sharp distinction, and I don't see the analogous case with the sleeping. Even if it's the case that the existing are not sharply in the existing, I don't think it's necessarily the case that it must mean that the not existing are not sharply in the not existing.

I don't know. I have no serious position on this, but you're gonna have to convince me that the not existing can in fact be harmed. The whole thing is terribly interesting, because there are some argument against abortion that relies on there being no harm done to not existing persons. Otherwise we have to worry about abortion harming all the possible children. I mean, you open that can of worms.

also how do you assign the harm? like, you aren't just harming 2 not existing children that you aren't having, you've harmed an infinite amount of not existing children. You threaten to turn us all to moral monsters. So maybe there's a problem with the modal worries?

Again though, interesting. Cool stuff

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    A while back on [chat] we were discussing googling our names. I personally have a name (in IRL) (and OOC I guess?) that is pretty damn generic. But I'm still surprised by all the shit that comes up when you google my name. There's an author on Amazon that has my name who is apparently a Christian mystic inspired by Zen and it's so weird guys.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I continue to get sicker and it is not possible for me to call in sick until at least next monday

ughhhhhh

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    I think their reputation is pretty well ruined already.

Which is a shame, I like the little bit of the game I played and it was pretty much what I expected.

If nothing else hopefully they learned the lesson that Peter Molyneux never did:

Shut up. Until you know what you're going to release, seriously, just shut up.

Somewhat related to "Release dates are internal. If you absolutely have to give a projected release date add six months to your internal release date. And probably add a year on to that just to be safe."

• Options
    Also in class there was some discussion around snarky responses to a thing in an html textbook on page 404. A couple of my friends went on with the general theme of computer jokes, and one of them made a pun. So one friend-of-a-friend said this: "I 'sea' what you did there! Huh? Huh?"

dude

it's okay to have puns and it's okay to have non sequitors but when you're in a pun thread CONTINUE WITH THE THEME OF THE PUNS GODDAMMIT.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Does anyone actually carry warhammers in Warhammer or is it all chainsaw swords and walking skulltanks and blood

IIRC the title is from Warhammer fantasy. The God Sigmar has a big ass warhammer.

It's actually in the game with stats for the first time ever in Age of Sigmar.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    If hillary wins Texas I will donate a 3ds Or equivalent $$$ to a child's play hospital in Ivanka Trumps name

Uhm buy me that dragon quest builders game too thx

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Also in class there was some discussion around snarky responses to a thing in an html textbook on page 404. A couple of my friends went on with the general theme of computer jokes, and one of them made a pun. So one friend-of-a-friend said this: "I 'sea' what you did there! Huh? Huh?"

dude

it's okay to have puns and it's okay to have non sequitors but when you're in a pun thread CONTINUE WITH THE THEME OF THE PUNS GODDAMMIT.

That's terrible. Execute him.

• Options
    A while back on [chat] we were discussing googling our names. I personally have a name (in IRL) (and OOC I guess?) that is pretty damn generic. But I'm still surprised by all the shit that comes up when you google my name. There's an author on Amazon that has my name who is apparently a Christian mystic inspired by Zen and it's so weird guys.

In the early 00s when I was an active blogger I was #1 on google for my name. And I'm pretty much Swedish John Smith.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I hung out with movie nerds tonight and it was amazing they loved me having opinions

We watched SPLINTER which was a nice little horror film I hadn't seen

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    emnmnme wrote: »

dude

If they're computer nerd puns, I'm guessing it wasn't sea, it was C the language

Unless you're explaining this oddly

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

dude

If they're computer nerd puns, I'm guessing it wasn't sea, it was C the language

Unless you're explaining this oddly

Okay, point. (I mean, we're in a C++ class!) But when I asked why the sea was involved in any of this, he didn't explain C the language. I mean, he still could've meant that but he didn't state that outright.

I'm still executing him.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

40k has like power energy warhammers or something like that that some of the space marines use.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I thought it was because he got accused by the Bahamas of grooming a young boy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So put your hands in your pockets and take them right back out!

Neco on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have applied for an apartment and it looks like I will get it. Good riddance to living with Roommates.

• Options
    Well it's midnight where I live so it's long past the time since I should've gone to sleep.

Night, everyone.

Pleasant dreams.

• Options
    I'm sure the Russian embassy will gladly accommodate Assange instead.

• Options
    I'm trying to execute this boner

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

chu no

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

chu no

chu yes

• Options
    How many bros does it take to change a lightbulb? None, it's already lit fam

This discussion has been closed.