As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Reminds me of when my drama group at school had to come up with names for a programme when we hadn’t named the characters in our play

I think one of them was something like Stud Manly

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The poor refutation/inconsistency of Eleanor's arguments initially bugged me too, but once she admitted it was a defence mechanism rather than an actual argument in favour of determinism I was fine with the writing. She was putting up a front, rather than assembling a consistent world view.
    But she was reading out of a philosophy book in the library! And when she busted out the term, it was after the flashback of her actually learning a bunch of philosophy, which suggested that it sank in and she learned something. She's using something she learned as a defense mechanism, sure, but the show never for a single moment suggests that what she's saying is a bunch of bullshit.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Omnibus wrote: »
    The portrait in Michael's office was of the guy from back in the 70s, so they just have to cast some 60-something actor to be a current-day version of Doug Forcett.

I know he's only 57, but I have to think the best casting choice for a modern day Doug Forcett, in both the internal character of the show, the external qualities to portray the character of someone who was like that about that time, a reasonable enough physical resemblance, and arguably the most meta choice possible, would be...

Woody Harrelson.

And if he's running a basement bar in Boston, that'd be cake.

No.

Keith David.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The show being what it is though, Doug will have died in the last year or so, and we'll get a family member or friends that knew him who is entirely unhelpful.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I loved this episode. Was the first one of this season that felt like it was firing on all cylinders. Got multiple laughs.

The show obviously gave the lay-person (or the Philosophy for Dummies for Morons) definition of determinism, as has been discussed, but I'd suggest that giving the topic the exploration it deserved would've taken longer than the runtime. And undercut the storytelling purpose it was brought in to serve. By presenting the theory in its details and the discussions surrounding that, it would've changed the feel of Eleanor latching onto the theory as a way to avoid self-reflection.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I loved this episode. Was the first one of this season that felt like it was firing on all cylinders. Got multiple laughs.

The show obviously gave the lay-person (or the Philosophy for Dummies for Morons) definition of determinism, as has been discussed, but I'd suggest that giving the topic the exploration it deserved would've taken longer than the runtime. And undercut the storytelling purpose it was brought in to serve. By presenting the theory in its details and the discussions surrounding that, it would've changed the feel of Eleanor latching onto the theory as a way to avoid self-reflection.
    There are two rather easy solutions. First, the show could have kept from giving the impression that Eleanor was describing the theory correctly. They didn't need to show her reading from a philosophy book or present her explanation after going over the fact that she took philosophy classes from Chidi.

Second, they didn't need to use the word "determinism." She could have just talked about how she didn't have free will in other terms. This would avoid reinforcing the damaging, widespread, and super wrong belief that determinism is necessarily opposed to free will.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The poor refutation/inconsistency of Eleanor's arguments initially bugged me too, but once she admitted it was a defence mechanism rather than an actual argument in favour of determinism I was fine with the writing. She was putting up a front, rather than assembling a consistent world view.
    But she was reading out of a philosophy book in the library! And when she busted out the term, it was after the flashback of her actually learning a bunch of philosophy, which suggested that it sank in and she learned something. She's using something she learned as a defense mechanism, sure, but the show never for a single moment suggests that what she's saying is a bunch of bullshit.

It's not, but she's filling in a lot of blanks about determinism that would be detrimental to her argument. From the get-go, she's not really arguing in favor of determinism in good faith.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    To be fair, the writers were always going to explain determinism incorrectly no matter what.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    They basically just ran through incompatiblism. That there must be a dichotomy between free will and determinism. Using hard determinism as the definition of determinism. Arriving where most people end up which is, "I just don't fuckin care, I'm gonna go do something I decided to do".

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Michael's argument is even being a virtual God in his afterlife, knowing all the factors and information possible, didn't make him capable of knowing outcomes perfectly.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    That's the other thing, michael is literally a higher being saying that free will definitely exists. That even if circumstances and manipulations dictate things more than anything else that there's something there making decisions in the face of those factors. Like he just grants the point immediately that yeah your context defines a bunch of your behavior, but that there's still something there making the choice at the last minute. Even if he was manipulating the shit out of everyone they still played some kind of active role in those situations he put them into. Basically a layman's understanding of compatibalism leaving aside the continuation that though unpredictable those active roles are just the result of the experiences of each individual being involved.

Sleep on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Eleanor's argument fell apart immediately, because Michael has never even been hinted at being omniscient, which is what would be required for determinism to be true.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    it could be that the show continues exploring determinism in later episodes and that this was just the seed. they've done a really good job doing that for other philosophical concepts.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Eleanor's argument fell apart immediately, because Michael has never even been hinted at being omniscient, which is what would be required for determinism to be true.
    The judge is omniscient though, isn't she?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Philosophy for Dummies for Morons

Did they have the fake author of this fake book on screen? I kinda hope it says it's written by Mike Schur as a meta-joke about that being the subtitle of this show.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I think so? But Janet (when not limited by being on Earth) definitely is.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Hmmmm.....

Janet is omniscient and omnipotent but doesnt have free will, while Michael has free will and is omnipotent but is not omniscient. When not on Earth, as you said. The judge has all 3, but none of them have a soul. I wonder if Angel's are omniscient with free will, but are not omnipotent and are also lacking a soul.

Is Good Place God(s) the only being(s) that possess all 4 artibutes?

Veevee on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Hmmmm.....

Janet is omniscient and omnipotent but doesnt have free will, while Michael has free will and is omnipotent but is not omniscient. When not on Earth, as you said. The judge has all 3, but none of them have a soul. I wonder if Angel's are omniscient with free will, but are not omnipotent and are also lacking a soul.

I'm not sure Michael is omnipotent. He relies on Janet for most functions in administering the neighborhood and, assuming he is on-par, power-wise, with other demons his boss is capable of cocooning him, implying he does not have the ability to un-cocoon himself.

Have they ever established that there even is a god/gods/original creator entity?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

Hmmmm.....

I'm not sure Michael is omnipotent. He relies on Janet for most functions in administering the neighborhood and, assuming he is on-par, power-wise, with other demons his boss is capable of cocooning him, implying he does not have the ability to un-cocoon himself.

Have they ever established that there even is a god/gods/original creator entity?

Nope

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Hmmmm.....

Nope

And even if they had, it'd be an unreliable narrator. It shouldn't be assumed after the end of Season 1 that anything said by anyone is undisputedly accurate.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The actor who plays Tahani is apparently amazing and hilarious. OBSERVE.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    The actor who plays Tahani is apparently amazing and hilarious. OBSERVE.

Well..... anything's a hair curler if you're oblivious enough.

In an interview with Seth Meyers she recounted a story about hetting ready for an audition (not sure if it was TGP or something else), where she borrowed her flatmates curling iron. And it took her a while, but she eventually realized it was a vibrator. And was rushed for the audition because she had to wash her hair, for obvious reasons.

She's pretty awesome.

• Options
    She was also in a recent episode of the podcast Hollywood Handbook in which she was hilarious.

• Options
    Here's the segment I mentioned.

If it doesn't autocue, and you don't want to watch the rest of the clip (in which case, you're deserving of negative points and going to the bad place), it starts at about 4:10 in.

https://youtu.be/8Bie1qhvMBA?t=253

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Never meet your heroes.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    My thoughts
    Doug's points don't count if he already knows about the Good Place.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    He doesn’t KNOW know though. But he is doing them for the wrong reason...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Never meet your heroes.

Everything I have ever heard has told me that Ted Danson and Kristen Bell are both exemptions to this rule.

The rest of the cast probably are as well.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Off two weeks, one episode, then off until January 10, when it becomes part of a Schur double features with Brooklyn 99.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that Janet didn't simply channel Neo from the Matrix or Chuck Bartowski.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Okay that was forking amazing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Okay that was forking amazing.

That was just perfect. So, so perfect.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Doug
    Trying to game the system will absolutely bite him in the ass. He knows about the points, knows that's how to get into Heaven... and that knowledge auto-disqualifies him. I mean, look at our 4 (human) protagonists.

Janet
    Of course she knows how to do all that stuff. Definitely the highlight of the episode.

Everyone else
    Jason teaching Chidi how to play Pool is the other highlight of the episode, of course. And then Chidi runs with it because it's probably the only time he's ever had fun legitimately.

Also good on Eleanor for confessing this soon.

And Tahani for using her fencing training.

And "How the hell did he make that so fast?" referring to Jason's molotov got a solid guffaw out of me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »

Little danson man
    Little dancin man

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ted Danson learning to dance is apparently a thing as now other locations and angles are surfacing.

I have never wanted to get back into working in TV more than when I see behind the scenes stuff from this show.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    It is weird seeing them do that when they dressed up as their characters.

Funny though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I was super impressed that chidi threw that pool ball into the glass and it didn't instantly shatter into a billion pieces. Those things are heavy

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    This episode is a really great example of how heaven or hell kills causes problems with pretty much every form of utilitarianism.