As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure that there is a Good Place.

Weren't there very clearly Good Place people that showed up sometime in season 2? Also, we've seen what bad place Janets look like and its very different from the good place Janet that we know and love.

I think there is a Good Place, its just very empty and/or full of people trying to find ways to save everyone else from the bad place

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Weren't there very clearly Good Place people that showed up sometime in season 2? Also, we've seen what bad place Janets look like and its very different from the good place Janet that we know and love.

I think there is a Good Place, its just very empty and/or full of people trying to find ways to save everyone else from the bad place

We have seen one Good Place rep, Bidi, in the intro video for Mindy St Claire.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

We have seen one Good Place rep, Bidi, in the intro video for Mindy St Claire.

Wasn't there an episode where the good place and bad place

oh, right, good place people were just bad place people.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm fairly certain that they are actually on Earth, because Eleanor hasn't been forced into not swearing (though now that I think about that the more it seems like a particular torture Michael would implement for a Fake Good Place, and people in Actual Good Place swear as much as they want because it feels good and can't really hurt anybody).

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain that they are actually on Earth, because Eleanor hasn't been forced into not swearing (though now that I think about that the more it seems like a particular torture Michael would implement for a Fake Good Place, and people in Actual Good Place swear as much as they want because it feels good and can't really hurt anybody).

They're on Earth because Schur said they are. He hasn't outright lied to the public about anything.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

They're on Earth because Schur said they are. He hasn't outright lied to the public about anything.

Well, yes. I'm just pointing out the corroborating evidence. They are too good with the tiny details to mess something like that up.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think you're allowed to swear in the good place, assuming it exists, but the people that are in the good place, just don't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I think you're allowed to swear in the good place, assuming it exists, but the people that are in the good place, just don't.

That's fucked up.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Micheal says the residents voted for a filter in his neighborhood so that might be a possibility

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    In the first episode Chidi says “If you’re trying to curse, you can’t here. The majority of the residents don’t like it, so it’s prohibited”

So it might differ from neighborhood to neighborhood or Michael just did it because it’s funny.

Personal theory:
    We’re eventually going to find out that every Good Place is effectively as isolated as Mindy St Claire’s. You have all the things you could ever want, and eternity to enjoy them all by yourself. Meaning that everyone winds up kind of hating their Good Place after a while.

I figure at the end of this season Eleanor at least winds up in the real Good Place but it turns out she hates it because Chidi and the others aren’t there.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

That's fucked up.

Well, now we know someone isn't going to the Good Place. :wink:

But, seriously, I don't think there is any evidence either way about what you can or can't do in the Good Place, we know so little about it (even to the point of questioning whether it actually exists). Everything we know about the Good Place we know by way of demons or Mindy St. Clair (and she only has second hand knowledge. We assume she's talked to an "angel" when she got to the medium place, but its not been explicit, I don't think? Like others have said, the only piece of evidence we have to go on is the tape with the "angel" and Trevor that Mindy showed). The whole "no cursing" rule was thought up by Michael as a way to torture the gang (I imagine particularly Eleanor).

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    In the first episode Chidi says “If you’re trying to curse, you can’t here. The majority of the residents don’t like it, so it’s prohibited”

So it might differ from neighborhood to neighborhood or Michael just did it because it’s funny.

Personal theory:
    We’re eventually going to find out that every Good Place is effectively as isolated as Mindy St Claire’s. You have all the things you could ever want, and eternity to enjoy them all by yourself. Meaning that everyone winds up kind of hating their Good Place after a while.

I figure at the end of this season Eleanor at least winds up in the real Good Place but it turns out she hates it because Chidi and the others aren’t there.

It was specifically something to torture Eleanor.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they'll eventually reach the real Good Place, and it's either going to be almost completely deserted, or in the process of being dismantled (as someone has proven that the entire point system is egregiously flawed, and both Bad and Good placed are forked up), to be replaced with them all going on to a Better Place (which I'm guessing we won't get to see).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "Oh no! All my fears are mine again!"

This show is great.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jason: i wanna pick out a picture to show janet
    DM: make me an insight check

Jason being the best source material for a low int/high wis character is endlessly amusing to me.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

This show is great.

"We did what now?"

And continues with the tipping the show on it's head.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This week's podcast features Kamilah asking if she gets to keep the 9 foot statue of herself when the show is done with it, so she can put it in her garden at home.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Just started on season three and every scene with Ted Danson makes me want to hug him forever.

Why is he not my uncle, life is unfair.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Just started on season three and every scene with Ted Danson makes me want to hug him forever.

tbh I hope that Ted Danson go to sleep every night thinking "Man, this show is fun... and I was on Cheers!" and then falls asleep with a dumb grin on his face

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Then he dreams of Becker and wakes up screaming
    Nah, Becker was OK

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

tbh I hope that Ted Danson go to sleep every night thinking "Man, this show is fun... and I was on Cheers!" and then falls asleep with a dumb grin on his face

Literally every other Ted Danson story on the podcast has some variant of " He was on cheers" in it. I assume he just introduces himself like that

• Options

Literally every other Ted Danson story on the podcast has some variant of " He was on cheers" in it. I assume he just introduces himself like that

That says more about other people and Cheers then about Danson.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Nah, Becker was OK

Becker has a special place for me because, while not remotely the first sort of show to do it, it was the first show for me that showed me that you could simultaneously be cynical and still care, without being a caricature of a human.

Not to say it was a particularly great show, but helpful to me at a time I was finding out that growing up is a lie and lots of people are actually shitty. I think it started the same year I graduated high school and started college (briefly before abandoning that for a bit and doing a stint in the military).

I don't think Ted Danson is capable of being bad in a role though.

I watched Cheers growing up, Becker as I entered "adulthood", and now The Good Place at a time that I've left religion behind me and entered a more philosophical phase of my life, fully aware of a lifetime of religious doctrine influencing my perspective (and the frustration of being so aware of it that it makes the lie of it all that much more painful to not be able to help people still caught in it see it for themselves).

What I'm saying is that Ted Danson has always been there for me when I needed him. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

This show is great.

Was watching in a public place and lost my shit at that line. Chidi is the best. I probably looked like a crazy person.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    No, ya basic :cry:

Coinage on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Nah, Becker was OK

Becker has a special place for me because, while not remotely the first sort of show to do it, it was the first show for me that showed me that you could simultaneously be cynical and still care, without being a caricature of a human.

Not to say it was a particularly great show, but helpful to me at a time I was finding out that growing up is a lie and lots of people are actually shitty. I think it started the same year I graduated high school and started college (briefly before abandoning that for a bit and doing a stint in the military).

I watched Cheers growing up, Becker as I entered "adulthood", and now The Good Place at a time that I've left religion behind me and entered a more philosophical phase of my life, fully aware of a lifetime of religious doctrine influencing my perspective (and the frustration of being so aware of it that it makes the lie of it all that much more painful to not be able to help people still caught in it see it for themselves).

What I'm saying is that Ted Danson has always been there for me when I needed him. :lol:

They went into a weird place with Terry Farrel's character on Becker and then they dropped her from the show.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Nah, Becker was OK

They went into a weird place with Terry Farrel's character on Becker and then they dropped her from the show.

Dax mission on Earth was over, so she could go back to Deep Space 9.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Nah, Becker was OK

I thought she wanted more money for the non headliners or something? The producer denies it but it seems pretty obvious

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    All I have to say is that I think it is a minor miracle that we've made it through 2 whole episodes without the show's status quo being shattered (2 eps of "lets go around help our family be better people"). Like a supervolcano erupting after millions of years, I feel like next ep is gonna have another topsy turvy reveal.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I mean, they did say between seasons they won't be quite so twisty as they were the first two seasons, because it's exhausting for the writers.
    Also because then the fans are just constantly speculating about twists instead of just watching the show.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They don't need to write twists now that everyone is expecting them. People were
    expecting Eleanor's mother to be horrible or something, but instead she was straight just a better person now. So the twists are built in, just to a lesser degree. For most/some people, anyway.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They don't need to write twists now that everyone is expecting them. People were
    expecting Eleanor's mother to be horrible or something, but instead she was straight just a better person now. So the twists are built in, just to a lesser degree. For most/some people, anyway.
    i like they way they wrote Diana/Donna because she wasn't entirely a better person, she was still hoarding that exit cash. but she was genuinely becoming good and needed that extra push from Eleanor. it was a nice bit of character development.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    All I have to say is that I think it is a minor miracle that we've made it through 2 whole episodes without the show's status quo being shattered (2 eps of "lets go around help our family be better people"). Like a supervolcano erupting after millions of years, I feel like next ep is gonna have another topsy turvy reveal.

I'd say it's a minor miracle something this intelligent and great has managed to survive on network television this long.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I wonder if we are ever going to see Chidi's family at all.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Haven't we seen his brother?

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I just about died when I saw the sign for the school:
    The MGM Grand Hotel & Casino Elementary School with a cartoon Lion and "Always bet on READ!"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    eleanor's massive plate of sliced cheese with a fork just frickin destroyed me on the second watch through of the pta meeting

• Options
    JustTee wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Haven't we seen his brother?

That was his best friend.

I have to imagine his parents are super carefree people that don't really have jobs or a home

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    We do know that Chidi bailed on his mom while she was having back surgery because he was too inflexible.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The last episode is divisive for me. I think the Tahani/Kamila reunion is earned, they're both children of awful, awful people who are one cryogenic chamber failure away from getting the punishment they deserve. But Eleanor's mum was as much if not more of a monster as a mother, and Eleanor is only redeemable in spite of her not because of her. I don't feel that he getting a second chance was earned or deserved, she abandoned her daughter and was still abandoning her up to being found by Eleanor.