As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So after a few years off, painting is definitely not like riding a bike. Half of my paints dried up, I only have one brush, but damn it I'm tired of proxying infinity models so I've started on some (WIP) Ariadna:
    gyY5G8c.jpg
    AZCzQcp.jpg

I'm getting my sea legs back with brush control, flow control, etc. At some point I'm going to have to grow up from this drybrushing nonsense because a) I think there's too much gray and I don't know what accent colors to use to break it up on these models and b) it doesn't look nearly as clean as some of the other Infinity models here. I'm sort of struggling with these not being squat, fat little guardsmen with a handful of doodads and hard surfaces...the Ariadna guys are all like real armor/models.

Also have no idea how to do leather, apparently. What's a good trio for base/wash/highlight? I'm doing XV88, tried different washes, and then highlight back up but...eh.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I used rhinox hide, xv88, and agrax earthshade for a few dark leather coats and really liked how they turned out.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I like to do tau light ochre, then two washes of earthshade, steel legion drab on raised areas and then a thin highlight plus little chips and streaks on 'worn' patches with ushabti bone for a scruffy and well-used leather look.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Painted a squad of Imperial Guard in the style of Rebels from Alderaan as seen in Episode IV and Rogue One.

pmmzztycitqr.jpg

vcuymndtdxpw.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Nrgh. Photographing dark minis is such a pain…
    Anyway, assassin #1, so far:
    73ki6b0jojj8.jpg

Still not sure if I like the hair though. It needs more texture or something…
    yozjj7gsd0tu.jpg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    In which Kneel paints another vehicle.

I quite like this.

sspcpokbvt0k.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    *roll down window motion*
    Hey buddy! Your tires are chipped!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What colors did you use for that? I've been looking for something suitably off-yellow, pretty much like that.

• Options
    It's Averland Sunset with Yriel Yellow highlights. It looked a bit too desaturated so I ran some Casandora Yellow through the airbrush and did an all-over glaze.

After that I lightly sprayed some burnt umber into the recesses and on the rivets and panel lines.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    It's Averland Sunset with Yriel Yellow highlights. It looked a bit too desaturated so I ran some Casandora Yellow through the airbrush and did an all-over glaze.

After that I lightly sprayed some burnt umber into the recesses and on the rivets and panel lines.

Did you paint on the chips, or hairspray/effects fluid method it?

• Options
    Masking fluid.

Before the yellows were applied, I hit the whole thing with a patchy coat of reds and browns, then applied Humbrol Maskol via a blotted scourer.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    More Autobot Marines. Kup and Blaster
    ckdewcu9b8cy.jpg

Kickoff, Warpath and Sandstorm
    x7hh9vqusy09.jpg

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Kup really does look like a cranky old guy there. The figure you chose for Warpath is just too perfect! Not familiar with Kickoff so had to look him up, but the other two (Sandstorm and Blaster) look perfect.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Don't worry about not knowing Kickoff, he's an obscure guy who was an action master toy I owned back in the day (those transformer toys that didn't transform and came only in robot mode). The only thing i've seen him in was the Last Stand of The Wreckers, where he dies horribly.
    Warpath is actually a kitbash from 3 different marines. A deathwatch backpack and legs, a forgeworld MK IV despoiler chest/helmet and the arms/gun from a forgeworld destroyer squad. The gun was a great find and it helps disguise the fact that he's 90% the same shade of red.

I really like Kup and Blaster, they both came out looking pretty great, turns out Sybarite green makes a great colour for Kup, he was one of the hardest guys when it came to work out what paint I needed to replicate his colour scheme without making him too green

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I have finally gotten a few more minis done. Inspired to paint some more Neverborn since I'm getting a super purdy case to carry them. The Dreamer, his Daydream totems, and the Primodrial Magic.

879603_sm-.JPG

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Don't worry about not knowing Kickoff, he's an obscure guy who was an action master toy I owned back in the day (those transformer toys that didn't transform and came only in robot mode). The only thing i've seen him in was the Last Stand of The Wreckers, where he dies horribly.
    Warpath is actually a kitbash from 3 different marines. A deathwatch backpack and legs, a forgeworld MK IV despoiler chest/helmet and the arms/gun from a forgeworld destroyer squad. The gun was a great find and it helps disguise the fact that he's 90% the same shade of red.

I really like Kup and Blaster, they both came out looking pretty great, turns out Sybarite green makes a great colour for Kup, he was one of the hardest guys when it came to work out what paint I needed to replicate his colour scheme without making him too green

Your TF marines, combined with me replaying Fall of Cybertron again recently, led me to lose the past few nights on tfwiki (to be fair, not an uncommon thing to happen)

I've been thinking Quintessons would work in 40k pretty well, either as some blanchitsu style Inquisitorial warband, or maybe dark AdMech. Maybe each of the 5 faces could be a chaos god, with Malal as the 5th?
    One of the Fantasy dwarf airship balloons might work as a body, not sure how you'd do the faces though.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Painted Asami finally. Also @-Loki- I ended up backing the Dogmight kickstarter as well.

XVC3YPL.jpg

qwwoveS.jpg

I really need to build a lightbox.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Progress! Though mostly in improved lighting:
    nzk24orxj0b0.jpg

Still not sure what to do with all of her belts though? I'm thinking a medium grey to bring up the contrast a bit. The stone she's landing on will be a sort of cream sandstone effect, on a Martian Ironearth base to fit my Skitarii.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Bit of a shitstorm at home the last 12 hours so I didn't get much painting done, but I've gotten the first round of oil paints applied since the last pic.

Still lots to do.
    o3tvhes5r6it.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Still not sure what to do with all of her belts though? I'm thinking a medium grey to bring up the contrast a bit. The stone she's landing on will be a sort of cream sandstone effect, on a Martian Ironearth base to fit my Skitarii.

Maybe a dark red to break up the model a little? I know she's a sneaky sneaky assassin, but I think a dull crimson might work.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Alright, I need some secondary opinions.

I've had this kit at this point for about 2 weeks while I was waiting for some decals to come in. However I'm honestly torn on it and don't know if I want to proceed, or strip a bunch of it and start again. Because every time I'm thinking about it, I want to restart, and every time I look at it with fresh eyes, it kinda jumps out and makes me think "Yeah, it's okay." Hence, opinions.
    po4uw1q66w9m.jpg
    707w0h3c205y.jpg
    6dc0cvgcpx8g.jpg

For me, it's very much the off-red accents that are the problem, and they took the most masking to do. But I think maybe I could do a stronger main colour as well? It's all a bit up in the air, and I want to work this out right since I'm planning to do 1 or 2 other kits in matching colours to form a little unit. Ho-hum ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I like everything about that except the pale red/pink; it looks off to me next to the warm light grey and orange.

That said, niiice paint job. That's some clean, smooth colors you've pulled off.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    No self respecting anime protagonist would have salmon highlights on his mecha. Make it a really bold color to stand out from the rest of the scheme.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Giving Runewars Minis a shot. Never bought an infantry/army style game before, and I bought it with the explicit goal of demoing it, so I'm gonna try to paint them.

So I'm starting from scratch.. trying to clean off the flash from the joints to make gluing easier, and washing off the releasing agent.

This.. seems time consuming. I mean, I am wondering if I'm doing things as well as I could. I've got two bowls and a towel - one with a little bit of dish soap, the other normal water. I'm dipping pieces individually in the soapy water, scrubbing lightly with a toothbrush, and then soaking in the water (changing it occasionally), patting down and letting dry.

Is this an okay assembly method, or are there better ways to do this?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Giving Runewars Minis a shot. Never bought an infantry/army style game before, and I bought it with the explicit goal of demoing it, so I'm gonna try to paint them.

So I'm starting from scratch.. trying to clean off the flash from the joints to make gluing easier, and washing off the releasing agent.

This.. seems time consuming. I mean, I am wondering if I'm doing things as well as I could. I've got two bowls and a towel - one with a little bit of dish soap, the other normal water. I'm dipping pieces individually in the soapy water, scrubbing lightly with a toothbrush, and then soaking in the water (changing it occasionally), patting down and letting dry.

It is time consuming not much you can do about that, you're not going to do a big batch like this that often. With board game like miniatures its not as necessarily needed to be cleaned as it is with resin or metal miniatures but not a bad idea to anyways. I usually just dump them all in a container with dish soap and fill with warm water, just not too hot where you'll get them going soft and bending. I let them sit for a few minutes and then I go through them as you do. After taking them out of the clean water I don't bother drying, just shake them out as I take them out and set them on paper towel to dry overnight.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I've been pretty busy with a lot of painting projects, but here are my Hordes models for my stores Hordes army. I have been painting a lot of Age of Sigmar too, which when I remember to get photos with a decent camera I'll put up as well:

The%20Scary%20Gang_zpsrbqwyssv.jpg

Scary%20Ken_zpswnbcz6ke.jpg

Scary%20Kerry_zpsul6qiafl.jpg

Scary%20Steve_zpsh9csticx.jpg

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nisi wrote: »
    Also @-Loki- I ended up backing the Dogmight kickstarter as well.

I'm now thinking of ordering a deck box off them in the same wood and stain. I have this strong desire to accessorise.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So I'm just about halfway done this Cryx warjack, a Shrike, which is the first thing I've gotten this far with, I think:
    nlyo7hq079oe.jpg

I'm going for a pretty simple tabletop scheme, just that ashen/stony grey for metal plating/undercarriage for a monotone overall look and then red-orange glow effects for the furnace and vents (which have a base coat of white right now). For fleshy stuff I'll do purple and dark red, I think.

Will that look too monotone with larger pieces? I'm thinking of darkening the grey to get more of a contrast between glow effects and the metal, but I guess I'll see when I do the glow glazes tonight.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

It is time consuming not much you can do about that, you're not going to do a big batch like this that often. With board game like miniatures its not as necessarily needed to be cleaned as it is with resin or metal miniatures but not a bad idea to anyways. I usually just dump them all in a container with dish soap and fill with warm water, just not too hot where you'll get them going soft and bending. I let them sit for a few minutes and then I go through them as you do. After taking them out of the clean water I don't bother drying, just shake them out as I take them out and set them on paper towel to dry overnight.

I did it this way, though I stood at the sink and basically rinsed after washing.. but in the end, I couldn't stand the large pools of water, so I toweled them off.

So FFG's "army painter" guide recommends using pigmented primer.. It's obvious that is an ecosystem, trying to get you into their product.. but honestly, there's gonna be a lot of painting here, by the looks of it. Should I follow their advice?

Also there's a beginner painter club meeting at my LGS on June 7th. Gonna go to that!

ZFH8ZPZh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    It's all fun and games putting ~200$ into a reaper kickstarter, until 2 years later you have a tracking number and delivery window tomorrow and you just bought 3 skirmish warbands worth of AoS minis and have 1.5 armies to paint still.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So my resin bases finally came in from Warsenal. I washed im in soapy water, primed em, and as I started painting them the primer flaked off. Even my poster tak won't stick to it.

Frustrated, I washed them in more warm soapy water with a toothbrush and left them overnight to remove the release agent. They're still awfully slick and my poster tak still slips right off. Am I missing something? I've read of very rare cases where there's a bad batch and the compounds don't get mixed correctly...but I think it's pretty unlikely I'm one of those unlucky souls.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Haven't dealt with warsenal specifically, but having dealt with a lot of resin bases (somewhere more than 50, maybe over 100), I've definitely never had anything close to that problem. :S

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I haven't dealt with warsenal, but I've heard similar stories with raging heroes minis. I got some stuff from them in their second kickstarter, and the instructions were that the pieces had to air out for at least a week, then soak in simple green (or equivalent) for a couple of days, then be scrubbed with a toothbrush, then rinsed in cold water, and then air dry. And you might have to do it more than once. I haven't tried painting them yet, but they're at least less oily now than they were.

Maybe try something like that?

(For comparison, my kromlech bitz (also resin) came with no such instructions and were fine after soapy water + toothbrush.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    It's all fun and games putting ~200$ into a reaper kickstarter, until 2 years later you have a tracking number and delivery window tomorrow and you just bought 3 skirmish warbands worth of AoS minis and have 1.5 armies to paint still.
    Z5eIUyR.jpg?1
    This is technicly a mini. I guess.
    kRCBbKO.jpg?1

Leave me alone. It was two years ago. I thought I'd paint the other 2 kickstarters worth of minis by now. *weeps quietly to himself*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested in gaming terrain the newest reaper kickstarter is worth keeping an eye on, it's got a bunch of good pieces in it. The Bones material can be a bit dodgy when it comes to detail but it's great for any sort of terrain. Practically indestructible, holds paint well, and easy to carve up.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    They have a new kickstarter? Or do you mean the 3rd one with the crypt and all that?

I received the crypt which I'm a little confused on, there's a ton of great detail on the inside of the model, but the way you build it you are going to seal the roof shut and not be able to see inside. Just seemed strange how they designed it. I thought during the KS they showed the ceiling as removable, but it has tabbed edges to glue into the walls and everything. I can grind down those tabs I suppose to make the thing removable.

Either way all that terrain stuff I received was plastic, basically I couldnt tell the difference between if like GW made the crypt. I almost bought their new mausoleum but held off to check this out and I am glad I did. All the terrain pieces that are in actual bonesium seem really solid and good too.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Anyone here have a favorite crackle medium for basing? Some of the reviews for the one my friend gave me say not to use acrylic paint.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    GW's agrellan earth has worked well for me

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Yay! Gluing and assembly is completed, with only a little bit of super glue stuck to my hands...

Next up is.. *gulp* Painting, and basing and such.

NsUBZXEh.jpg

This discussion has been closed.