As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I was kind of amazed Inti Creates managed to buy the property wholesale, but it's not as if Sunsoft was doing anything with it. Or anything at all, really.

Did they? Where was that stated? The link above said they got the license, but it looks like it still belongs to Sunsoft there.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    New3DS_SuperMarioSE_Black_Render.0.jpg

ShellWhite_1.jpg
    Nintendo will be releasing two new limited edition versions of the handheld — one black, one white — which will both be available on November 25th for $99.99. That makes it just slightly more expensive than the $79.99 Nintendo 2DS, which is missing features like glasses-free 3D visuals, and half the price of the larger New Nintendo 3DS XL. Both of the new limited edition variants feature a slick and subtle Mushroom Kingdom print.

Well, fuck. I bought the recent Super Mario 3D Land bundle back in August to stash away as a backup. Now I dunno if I want to return that for this bundle and put $50 back in my pocket or just hold onto it...I already have that faceplate included in the new bundle.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what the fucking fuck I want that

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wait what? $99.99? Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

At that price point I may just upgrade. Craigslist my XL and I'm almost dead even.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well..... I just don't know
    I leaning more to a 2ds if I get another animal crossing that way I can play a 3rd in Mario Party
    But I have seen the galaxy in person and they got the pokemon sol/mun one at work so I am still leaning on getting a 2ds
    also I have a Jn3ds and my brother complains it's just too small since he and I both have xl's

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    If I didn't already have the Pokemon N3DS I would get this one in a heartbeat.
    It's Black!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    8bitogre wrote: »
    Question for someone needing a new console - I decided to pick up a New 3DS for some games. Is it worth just buying now, or should I wait for some deals for Black Friday? Looking at trends it doesn't look like the system tends to go down in price very much if at all. I know the Switch is going to be the new hotness, but I really need something smaller and light.

Might as well wait. The deals will be known pretty soon (many of them are already).

Don't know if this counts as prediction if it was earlier on the same day as the announcement...

• Options
    Close enough.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The fiancée and I signed the lease on our new apartment over the weekend and in the process of moving boxes I misplaced my 3DS...thankfully I found it stuffed in a bag of towels but there was a 30 minute period there where I thought for sure my 5+ years worth of streetpasses were gone in one fell swoop.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    $100 for a N3DS is pretty dang amazing, but not sure if I can justify it this late in the system's life.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I picked up a N3DS target 3dland bundle this summer. I think I'm still pretty okay with the purchase knowing what I knew then - Nintendo hasn't been releasing not-xl's in the US, no special sumo edition announced, previous N3DS not-xl's have sold out instantly in the US - but I would have been perfectly happy with a $99 one.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Heres hoping for SuMo faceplates.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    $100 for a N3DS is pretty dang amazing, but not sure if I can justify it this late in the system's life.

I keep seeing the sentiment that "I'll just wait for the Switch".

And that's understandable if you're already a 3DS owner, but I can't imagine why anyone would pass over the 3DS for the Switch if they've never owned a 3DS...that's a hell of a library to skip over...even moreso if you've never owned a DS.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It might be a good choice considering the Switch is not likely backwards compatible, and a new system at the end of its life is a good idea to have something to play on for the foreseeable future.

I'm really glad I bought a slim PS2 just before they stopped selling them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Also, by current reports the Switch may not be a fully functional hyper-portable handheld due to being even larger and with a more limited battery life. The non-XL n3DS is pretty darn portable.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My niece wants a 3ds for her birthday or Christmas so the timing is perfect (her DS hinge finally let go a month or so ago). This deal is perfect - hopefully it'll be around in abundance and we'll just have to do the midnight thing at one store to get it.

Now if the new Style Savvy could be on sale that night too I could get both of us copies and be happy.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Also, by current reports the Switch may not be a fully functional hyper-portable handheld due to being even larger and with a more limited battery life. The non-XL n3DS is pretty darn portable.

I dunno, I feel like the portability thing is really a lot of pointless hand-wringing at this point.

BddNmKZ.png

Nintendo handhelds have never been optimized for pockets. Neither are modern gadgets like ipads either. They'll be fine on this front.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Well what kind of pockets? the ant's sleeping bag in women's jeans? or the mere mortals in pants?
    The Xl fits fine in my side pocket and the JN3ds in my back pocket

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Get fatter so you can wear bigger pants so you can have bigger pockets.

Absolutely no flaw to this plan, no siree.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well what kind of pockets? the ant's sleeping bag in women's jeans? or the mere mortals in pants?

I wouldn't put a 3DS in my pockets even if it could fit, that's why I said they're not optimized for them. I don't want the exterior scuffed, I don't want it scratched against keys/cards/wallets. I always use a carrying case.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

I wouldn't put a 3DS in my pockets even if it could fit, that's why I said they're not optimized for them. I don't want the exterior scuffed, I don't want it scratched against keys/cards/wallets. I always use a carrying case.

I use a carrying case as well but it's getting worn out and I am torn between building one or buying another

• Options
    8bitogre8bitogre San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I just went ahead and made the plunge for a New 3DS XL and Animal Crossing.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Get fatter so you can wear bigger pants so you can have bigger pockets.

Absolutely no flaw to this plan, no siree.

Another solution is to relive the glory days of mid to late 90's high fashion, and everyone starts wearing those absurdly huge JNCO jeans again!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I just carry a bag.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    The DS lite and GBASP were perfectly sized for pockets. The smaller n3DS seems pretty good as well.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I've been popping my N3DS in a back pocket, but have been having trouble with the dye in my jeans coming off on the case where it rubs.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    The DS lite and GBASP were perfectly sized for pockets. The smaller n3DS seems pretty good as well.

Yep, the N3DS is in my pocket almost daily.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I carry the N3DS XL in my pocket often but it isn't comfortable. When one of my kids wants to get on my lap I cringe because it's a lot of pressure on the screen (and every single 3DS I've had now, 3 of them, gets lines on the screen from the bottom clamshell). I'm 100% in on the Switch but it's definitely JUST a bit bigger which is likely going to be outside the realm of my pockets.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I swung by a store today and saw the box for the galaxy-styled new 3DS, and remembered I'd like to upgrade at some point. But.. I have no clue which size to go for! I keep leaning regular new 3DS, for the crisper screens and such.. but the big thing is that I swear my hands cramp up playing the 3DS XL. Like.. get numb, have trouble using the thumb nub thingy. I don't know if the new 3DS or 3DS XL will help with that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    The XL gave me hand cramps but the regular one does not.
    As for storage I keep mine in a purse (more of a camera bag in size/design but w/e)

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The 2DS is the only system in the original lineup that didn't give me hand cramps and numbness. It's large enough that the bottom of the system rests in the curve of my palm; I don't have to hold it like an awkward NES controller.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I swung by a store today and saw the box for the galaxy-styled new 3DS, and remembered I'd like to upgrade at some point. But.. I have no clue which size to go for! I keep leaning regular new 3DS, for the crisper screens and such.. but the big thing is that I swear my hands cramp up playing the 3DS XL. Like.. get numb, have trouble using the thumb nub thingy. I don't know if the new 3DS or 3DS XL will help with that.

buy the 99 bucks small one
    best option.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

best option.

That comes out next week, right?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

best option.

That comes out next week, right?

yea, first hits on Black Friday, which probably means you won't be able to find it for a bit unless you get lucky. I see that flying off the shelves.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Man, I wish I could get that galaxy pattern as a faceplate for the smaller model.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    is there any way to get rid of these default programs that come on a 3ds, or at least to reorganize my home menu. I want my games to show up first, not face raiders

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Jars wrote: »
    is there any way to get rid of these default programs that come on a 3ds, or at least to reorganize my home menu. I want my games to show up first, not face raiders

I created a bunch of folders and threw them in there.

Edit: And for my Wii U and my 3DS, I threw the "Parental controls" tile alllllll the way to the right, where I'll never see it. :)

Athenor on
  • Options
    Man, I wish I could get that galaxy pattern as a faceplate for the smaller model.

You could always go the decal route.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I wish I could get the face plates instead of playing ebay for the ones I want

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jars wrote: »

You click and drag them with the stylus. Any block can go anywhere, basically.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games