As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And hell, we've had cool-looking tiny versions of classic systems for years and years. Atari, Sega, arcade, etc. They seemed to do okay but never really set the world on fire. Even if Nintendo took their average sales and doubled it for their projections, it wouldn't come anywhere near what demand for the NES Classic seems to be.

Now I'm curious. Anyone remember what those Atari collections were called, or how much they sold?

You mean the atari flashback? I saw them selling for about the same as the NES one or cheaper lately (along with the SEGA one).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh right, thanks. Can't find any sort of sales figures for the Flashback anywhere.

Though they've apparently been around since 2004? Good gravy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    As someone old enough to be the target audience for the Flashback, or its Coleco and Intellivision counterparts, they really don't push the nostalgia button very well. Part of that is that score-based games are a lot less fun if you're not competing against anyone else (to this day, if I see a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet, I will go and run up the high score), and part of it is that my generation pretty happily ditched those early home consoles in favor of home computers and never really looked back.

If you want to get my generation to go crazy for a home nostalgia box, you want to sell us a MAME box, preferably one that includes an option to mix in 80s music so we can play Galaga on our TV with Journey blaring from the surround speakers and uh.

Uh.

Brb need to throw together a kickstarter.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Jim isn't James Rolfe. He tweets and chats on forums plenty and his real personality is not that different from on camera. He is still playing it up but he's no modest shyguy. For good or ill.

I agree, but only because he is quite willing to mock himself and admit his failings on camera. In the episode in question, he corrects a mistake from a previous episode and says that he (like the Bogglins) is "cute in an ugly way and also not that popular". No idea where this idea that he's "an asshole" came from. He's the most pro-consumer, anti-corporate horseshit guy out there , while also openly supporting causes for diversity and equality in gaming. When did asshole come to mean "plays an over the top character on an Internet show"? It might not be to everyone's tastes, but I feel like the actual content on offer is not being paid attention to.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The other extreme side of the amiibo coin is the Animal Crossing line. Whether they produced so many to counter the scalper market, or because they genuinely wanted them to be the next "It" thing, I don't know. But the market is positively flooded. And nobody is buying them. I swear, at some points stores were virtually trying to give the things away. Retailers can't be happy with all these statues taking up space, and Nintendo can't be happy with the money spent making them.

Well part of the problem here is that no one gives a crap about animal crossing characters. There isn't really a whole lot of character development in animal crossing, they are just the random gerbil people or donkeyman that happen to be in your town that you talk to and just smash A to get through their text faster. Meanwhile something like lucina was something you played a whole game with an actual story through, in addition to it being a new character in smash4. I have no idea what the sales figures are/were for animal crossing, but it's probably a good deal lower than fire emblem and pokemon, but also has characters that people generally have no vested interest in. For some boneheaded reason nintendo didn't pull the trigger on releasing the cloud,corrin,bayonetta set of amiibo for the holidays. cloud on its own will sell out just because it is cloud. Bayo and corrin would probably do well because they are from popular games, corrin would prob sell better as a female like robin would have, but nintendo demonstrably doesn't like to make money.

It's weird how nintendo seems to go all-in on the not as popular characters and games. Like we still don't have any word on an NA release of MH stories or the amiibo that go with them, and the MH brand has certainly been growing in NA with each release. But instead thy are like no no no america, you want animal crossing.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    The other extreme side of the amiibo coin is the Animal Crossing line. Whether they produced so many to counter the scalper market, or because they genuinely wanted them to be the next "It" thing, I don't know. But the market is positively flooded. And nobody is buying them. I swear, at some points stores were virtually trying to give the things away. Retailers can't be happy with all these statues taking up space, and Nintendo can't be happy with the money spent making them.

Well part of the problem here is that no one gives a crap about animal crossing characters. There isn't really a whole lot of character development in animal crossing, they are just the random gerbil people or donkeyman that happen to be in your town that you talk to and just smash A to get through their text faster. Meanwhile something like lucina was something you played a whole game with an actual story through, in addition to it being a new character in smash4. I have no idea what the sales figures are/were for animal crossing, but it's probably a good deal lower than fire emblem and pokemon, but also has characters that people generally have no vested interest in. For some boneheaded reason nintendo didn't pull the trigger on releasing the cloud,corrin,bayonetta set of amiibo for the holidays. cloud on its own will sell out just because it is cloud. Bayo and corrin would probably do well because they are from popular games, corrin would prob sell better as a female like robin would have, but nintendo demonstrably doesn't like to make money.

It's weird how nintendo seems to go all-in on the not as popular characters and games. Like we still don't have any word on an NA release of MH stories or the amiibo that go with them, and the MH brand has certainly been growing in NA with each release. But instead thy are like no no no america, you want animal crossing.

You're aware of the fact that Animal Crossing is vastly more popular than Monster Hunter in the West and that Capcom makes Monster Hunter, not Nintendo, right?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    animal crossing sold 10 million copies which is like triple what both the fire emblem games sold combined. you should look at some actual numbers for this stuff instead of posting whatever you think is right because it never seems to be

• Options
    Yeah, after people went apeshit over Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in Smash, I can't really fault them for going bonkers with Animal Crossing Amiibos. This stuff is hard to predict and slow to correct.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wii Fit Trainer is still the only Amiibo I want that I haven't seen in the wild to impulse buy :(

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jim isn't James Rolfe. He tweets and chats on forums plenty and his real personality is not that different from on camera. He is still playing it up but he's no modest shyguy. For good or ill.

I agree, but only because he is quite willing to mock himself and admit his failings on camera. In the episode in question, he corrects a mistake from a previous episode and says that he (like the Bogglins) is "cute in an ugly way and also not that popular". No idea where this idea that he's "an asshole" came from. He's the most pro-consumer, anti-corporate horseshit guy out there , while also openly supporting causes for diversity and equality in gaming. When did asshole come to mean "plays an over the top character on an Internet show"? It might not be to everyone's tastes, but I feel like the actual content on offer is not being paid attention to.

He says it wasn't, but I think Jim is just being nice as a Christmas present. We all know the Gay Tony/Lost and Damned mix-up was Chip's damn fault!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, I should have bought that Monster Hunter Stories amiibo when I was in Japan.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I bought a the girl on the one eyed Rathalos when I saw it worked in Animal Crossing
    It even works in Amiibo crossing!
    I got the wii fit trainer from someone this forum I am scared to open it since I have never seen it and it's even hard to find online

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, after people went apeshit over Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in Smash, I can't really fault them for going bonkers with Animal Crossing Amiibos. This stuff is hard to predict and slow to correct.

I dunno. I mean, Villager was a sole representation of the franchise as part of a line for a much more popular and diverse game. Ditto Wii Fit Trainer.

Animal Crossing would probably have done better if a) there wasn't such an abundance, and b) there had been something more in the way of functionality in a regular AC game when they came out.

Incidentally, the amiibo functionality added to New Leaf reads like damage control, but even if that had been there at the start, I still think something more would have been needed.

I mean, let's face it: Unlike most Toys to Life figures that do a lot in one or so games, amiibo generally do a little in a lot of games, and generally feel detached. And in most of the few instances they do a lot -- usually party games -- they tend to be more of a hassle to use versus previous titles, as Nintendo typically has everyone playing constantly picking them up and putting them down.

It's not too difficult to see the problems, a lot of them are just the sort of "real life" issues Nintendo seems blind to.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    They just went way fucking overboard with the AC figures. I've played every AC, and they have so many figures of so many obscure characters that I looked at the rack like "Who the fuck is this? Who the fuck is that?" They should have just had Nook, Resetti, Slider, and a Villager 2-pack with a girl and a re-posed boy.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    They just went way fucking overboard with the AC figures. I've played every AC, and they have so many figures of so many obscure characters that I looked at the rack like "Who the fuck is this? Who the fuck is that?" They should have just had Nook, Resetti, Slider, and a Villager 2-pack with a girl and a re-posed boy.

No way Resetti would have sold better than best character Isabelle.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Well I was thinking it would be better to focus on characters that have been in all the games, for maximum nostalgia milking (one of the main motivators in amiibo interest).

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Wow...
    After becoming the most pre-ordered video games in Nintendo history, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon – the latest games in the wildly popular Pokémon franchise – have now become the fastest-selling games that Nintendo has ever launched in the Americas. In less than two weeks, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold a combined total of 3.7 million units. That’s an 85 percent increase over Pokémon X and Pokémon Y – the previous record holders for Nintendo’s fastest-selling games – during the same period when those games launched in 2013.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I like how the amiibo are dlc for each game instead of paying .50 for a skin for a couple of things

• Options
    Oh, on a related note: I can't believe they didn't include amiibo compatibility on Super Mario Maker for the 3DS. Why on earth wouldn't you?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I really get the impression the 3DS Mario Maker was farted out quickly to keep the seat warm while we wait for Switch. No Amiibo, no online sharing... it's baffling.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh, on a related note: I can't believe they didn't include amiibo compatibility on Super Mario Maker for the 3DS. Why on earth wouldn't you?

On one hand: not every 3DS has amiibo compatibility

On another: they want something to be Wii U exclusive

On yet another: laziness

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mario Maker 3DS was my biggest drop from high to low between reading the headline and reading the story. I just can't wait for the inevitable Mario Maker Switch to right this wrong.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

On one hand: not every 3DS has amiibo compatibility

On another: they want something to be Wii U exclusive

On yet another: laziness

They all do, or at least can, if you get the reader. Either way, that's never stopped them before, so why now?

Meanwhile, almost everything about sharing, from uploading to downloading to searching to even ranking and commenting, is Wii U exclusive. It didn't need this, too.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Woo, Wal-Mart didn't cancel my Mario Edition N3DS order, and it's actually heading to the store for pickup. Probably won't be there before I have to head out of town for a few days, but at least I'm going to be getting it, so that's something to look forward to.

• Options
    Gamexplain's review of Super Mario Maker 3DS isn't too surprising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkb13fbLZ8

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://nintendowire.com/blog/2016/12/03/poochy-yoshis-woolly-world-to-run-at-60fps-on-new-3ds-30fps-on-regular-3ds/
    “Though the game originally appeared on the more powerful Wii U, it runs at a smooth 60 frames-per-second on New Nintendo 3DS,” writes Brian Shea. “If you have the original 3DS, a Nintendo representative tells me the framerate drops to 30.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dragonball Fusions is fucking RAD!

It's basically Dragonball meets Pokemon with sweet DBZ style battles. There's three types of characters, and there's a rock/paper/scissors mechanic at play too. Power beats Technical, Technical beats Speed, and Speed beats Power. There's a pretty big strategic component to the fights too. You want to go after the mooks that are weak to your type, of course. But you also want to knock enemies into other enemies and your allies for bonus damage, or line up Ki blasts to hit multiple enemies. You can even fire off special moves if an enemy shoots one at you (and you have the energy available).

Had a guy target me with a kamehameha, and I was able to counter with a galick gun. Mashed the A button and I won the beam struggle, so the guy took damage instead of me! If the enemy is a type you're weak against, you'll probably lose the struggle though! I highly recommend this game. Such a pleasant surprise!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Because I'm a masochist, I bought Hyrule Warriors Legends and the DLC, in all its 20FPS glory on the original 3DS

Man... It has been a long time since I've burned through batteries so fast! I'm trying to unlock enough to make it a good pick up and play game... while I'm still working on the Wii U one.

I swear, the thing I'm most excited about with the Switch will be a unified experience. I am sure they'll make a Hyrule Warriors 2, and I'm more than certain they won't copy over progress.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh man... it's like Dragonball Fusion stole some teen's DBZ fanfiction from their Myspace page. The tutorial fight was against Raditz and Napa. Myself, Goten, and Trunks beat them no problem. They both showed up again later, and this time they knew fusion. They fused into Natz, and fought me again. Still whupped em good. I'm hoping this means that other characters will be able to fuse that have never done it before.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    They do.

I'm loving the game.

quick tip: do the sidequests as soon as possible.

Even if you can't meet the conditions, you still get to keep the experience.

I tried to recruit Tien, and his sidequest requires defeating four Tiens and Chiaotzu at the same time. I beat a ton of them and eventually gave up and I got over 40,000 exp.

• Options
    Just met up with the Ginyu Force. They taught me how to do 5-way (max party size is 5 characters) fusion. You go from lil chibi characters to a god-like being of destruction! Then Guldo and Jeice fused into "Gulce", and Recoome and Burter fused into "Recurter". Ginyu tried to fuse with Frieza, but he's a douche and wouldn't do it...

Like... for real, buy this game if you love Dragonball/Z/GT

• Options
    Is the combat turn-based, or real time?

...y'know, since there are so many RPG/Pokémon comparisons.

• Options
    edited December 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4GxQ8luEk

Edit: it's turn based but you control your position to attack from

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Is it a game you can play at lunch or such since I am playing a game I should not be playing in public lately on my 3ds

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is it a game you can play at lunch or such since I am playing a game I should not be playing in public lately on my 3ds

Ohhh my...

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Ohhh my...
    c15fd5f114bb36750bf4ce0d30f4d376d044c0e4_hq.gif

• Options

It's turn-based. Battles take place in the air, and you have a large circular arena to fight in. There's a bar at the bottom of the screen like... uh... Grandia? Is that the one with the turn bar? Once a specific character's portrait makes it to the end of the bar, it's their turn. Your choices are

Melee: Fly to your opponent and a DBZesque fast exchange of punches occurs. Then you get to choose the direction your actual hit comes from. The opponent(and you if you're on the receiving end) then picks the direction they think you're going to attack from, and if guessed right, they take less damage.

Ki blast: You fire off a standard energy ball. Speed characters can hit multiple opponents if they're lined up. Technical characters can hit multiple enemies in a large AoE. Power characters can only hit one enemy at a time with a Ki blast, but it does way more damage than the other two.

Special Attack: As you deal and take damage, you build up Ki orbs (mana). Each character type learns different specials, and as you play, you also learn better variants of those moves. My Galick Gun, for example, gives me +400hp and +5 to strength.

There's also options to spend a turn charging up Ki, and you can flee if you're just too outmatched.

You also have a two-segmented "Ultra Meter", and when it's at least half-full, you can do a special rush down melee barrage. You wail on your opponent by mashing A and try not to get hit too much by them. This will charge up your Ki orbs, and add to a bonus damage counter. Once the timer runs out, you get to pick one of your special moves, and execute it with bonus damage. Ultra meter also allows you to do the 5-way fusions.

Let's see... what else. Ummm, oh! If you ring out an opponent, an animation plays where they f;y through a building, mountain, or into the ground. This does bonus damage, and knocks them back to the end of the turn line. This can happen to you too, so be mindful of your positioning! Also, if it's your turn to attack, and there's no enemy portrait on the turn line between you and your allies, the allies will join you for a support attack. They'll jump in and smack your target around before your attack plays out.

Solid Dragonball game! Were I a reviewer, my score would be a solid 9/10. Really, my only gripe is a lack of healing items. Certain places on the maps act as Pokemon centers. Places like Bulma's house or King Kai's planet. These are also the only places where you can save. Some characters can learn healing moves, though. Pan joined my team last night, and she can heal injured teammates, so that's cool at least.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    You should be able to recruit characters through battle soon.

Namekians are great at healing.

I just unlocked Ex Fusion where you can fuse your main character with almost anyone if the conditions are met.

You can fuse your teammates but the conditions are more restrictive.

• Options
    Oh shit, nice! Though, what would be the benefit of fusing my character with just Vegeta or whoever over doing a 5-way? I assume the normal fusion doesn't require the ultra-meter.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Welp you all just convinced me to pick up Fusions

With prime its 31 dollars and itll be here in 6 hours (godbless living in Toronto)

J3qcnBP.png