As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dammit I really wanted a new one to replace my aging 3DS. Also I'm dissapointed that Twilight Princess is discounted on the EShop but Majora's Mask isn't.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    This dang thing isn't even for me. It's for my brothers surprise Christmas gift.
    This sucks cause I doubt Nintendo would send more, seems like a one off deal for Black Friday.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Walmart has Black up!
    Just preordered and hope it arrives. :0

Riokenn on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Walmart has Black up!

Odd, it is showing off and on for me. So wait, this is a Black Friday only 3DS? I thought I could wait till after the holidays and pick one up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Walmart has Black up!

Odd, it is showing off and on for me. So wait, this is a Black Friday only 3DS? I thought I could wait till after the holidays and pick one up.

Thats how I understood it from the press release. The reason the price is so low is cause it's black Friday.
    Doesn't help either that they only (so far) have released the N3DS models in special bundles. :/ Not all of us have huge pockets to fit the XL in Nintendo!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Walmart has Black up!

Thats how I understood it from the press release. The reason the price is so low is cause it's black Friday.
    Doesn't help either that they only (so far) have released the N3DS models in special bundles. :/ Not all of us have huge pockets to fit the XL in Nintendo!

Dangit... I wanted to avoid spending much on Black and Blue Friday too.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I really hope people are not paying scalpers to get this...the prices are pretty much the price for the XL version, maybe 30-40 cheaper.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    un_run_r San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Target's stock system isn't keeping up, I visited a few stores nearby that their site says have stock today, but of course when you get there they sold out in the first hour yesterday. Not giving the scalpers any money (as no one should) I'd rather pay the full price whenever Ninty decides to get round to sending a few out to stores in the future.

3DS : 1048-8983-0850
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I love a good wait in line every once in a while. They are fun adventures.

My sister needed one of these black Friday 3DSs to replace her ancient launch day 3DS that had the plastic fallen off the circle pad. She'd been using the black plastic disc underneath!

So I called my local Meijer which is kinda in the middle of nowhere and asked when they were going to sell it, turned out it was at 6 AM and they had 13 units. Didn't manage to get a nap in or anything, we just went to wait at midnight (it's a 24 hour store).

The only person in front of us was a nice lady waiting to get 2 for her 13 year old sons (it was limit 2). We had brought canvas chairs in, something I bought and have kept in my car since a couple amiibo lines ago, and she was like "holy crap that's a great idea" and we saved her spot for her and she went to buy a chair.

Then a lanky college student with red hair, beard and comb-over showed up and he was super excited to be getting a 3DS. Apparently he had been robbed a while back and lost all his classic video games including his DS, and he'd missed out on the 3DS, and couldn't resist getting back into it now.

I had my New 3DS with me playing Pokemon and my sister had hers for Animal Crossing, so we showed them our systems and gave them the rundown. Like that they needed to buy a charger because it didn't come with one, and told them some of the good games for it, and showed them the 3D effect. The dude was really enthusiastic, he was like "whoaaaa right on" at like every detail. He said he'd only played the original red and blue pokemon and I showed him the VC version...then I showed him a malasada shop in the new pokemon and he said he'd been stationed in Hawaii and that they are indeed the best thing.

And we just hung out and chatted and talked about how it was nice not to have a crazy aggressive line like some of the stories we'd heard of other black friday fights and stuff. As time went on a few more people showed up behind us, and other electronics deal lines started filling up toward the end. The last 2 hours we were all too tired to say much and I was probably the most tired I've ever been and probably shouldn't have driven home. My sister got her 3DS and I woke up at 3 PM today.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The circle pad cap issue on launch day 3DSes seems to be pretty common, mine had that problem as well by the time I replaced it with the XL.

• Options
    un_run_r San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The circle pad just came off my old XL which is why I was kinda keen on getting a new one. The stub that's left cuts into my thumb, plus having lost some weight my new pants don't seem to have such big pockets. No one ever tells you these things.

3DS : 1048-8983-0850
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I managed to snag one of the New 3DS systems this morning and have been trying it all day. While it feels and looks nice, I noticed some hand cramping while playing. I'm wondering if I'm just spoiled from years of using the XL or if I'm just holding it wrong. Seems worse when I use the d-pad than when I use the circle pad.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    1667/1667 Puzzle Pieces

Legitimately.

On a blue XL.

The color and size is appropriate, because just like the Genie, I'm free!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Managed to stop by and pick up one of the last Galaxy N3DS's at the GameStop by me, it was $199.99 which I think is pretty normal price?

Anyway, it's gorgeous, that shiny galaxy print is amazing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Well this is a nice surprise, my black N3DS I ordered from amazon on 11/23 was supposed to arrive on Monday but showed up an hour ago instead. I love it when stuff like that happens.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Managed to stop by and pick up one of the last Galaxy N3DS's at the GameStop by me, it was $199.99 which I think is pretty normal price?

Is that another "limited edition" 3ds that just came out? Looks like it's also being scalped

Looks like it's been out for some time. Or not? I'm confused now. According to best buy: Release Date: 09/04/2016. On amazon people charging $258+ for it.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

Is that another "limited edition" 3ds that just came out? Looks like it's also being scalped

Looks like it's been out for some time. Or not? I'm confused now. According to best buy: Release Date: 09/04/2016. On amazon people charging $258+ for it.

I'm really not sure, I haven't kept up too much with 3DS versions since I'm perfectly content with my Zelda ALBW 3DSXL

My special lady friend pointed it out and said she really wanted one for Christmas and it was dang hard to find

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. The Galaxy was shown off last E3, or sometime after that. It is jaw-dropping gorgeous, but I don't want another XL... :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    As someone whos only owned XL's this gen I'm absolutely blown away by the regular N3DS. No more stretched out visuals but at the same time the screen isn't too small and neither is the system itself. No hand cramps here, it fits my hands just right.

I think I'm in love.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The nice thing about the 3DS is it comes in the size that's just right for you. Regular or XL, whatever floats your boat.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I really hope I hear something back from Nintendo about fixing mine. I don't know what I'll do if they can't do anything, but starting over -- if that's even possible -- does not sound enticing.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Started 7th Dragon III VFD tonight. I bought it when it came out but I am bad at playing games in timely fashion.

I was amazed by the character selection options. Normally the male options in games where you make your entire party are, well, your pick of goofy teen boys. I almost always end up with an all-girl party just because the guys make me cringe.

This game actually has an old guy! And not an old guy in the "he's 32, that's like ancient!" sense, but an actual 50+ adult male with grey hair and wrinkles and a damn fine sense of fashion. I am fast approaching that age, and when I get there I want to BE this guy. One of the voice actors even sounds like they might need to shave daily, so I don't have a chipper boyish voice breaking me out of my fisticuffs grandpa immersion.

The rest of my party is, of course, a pistol wielding maid and a schoolgirl with katanas. I make no excuses: I may be old but I like cute girls.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I think I'd need to hold a regular N3DS to see how it feels in my hands. I don't remember alot of cramping even with the old DS Lite but then again I didn't play Monster Hunter on that.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    The whole business behind Amiibos, the NES classic, and the $99 3DS has prompted Jim to make this week's colorfully titled Jimquisition that doesn't actually surprise anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRicuKHmjZA

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with guy. Is he always this insufferable? Is that his gimmick?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Yes. He frequently makes good points but his presentation is so awful I can't make it through his videos.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Yes, his on-camera schtick is a larger-than-life egoist - his catchphrase is even "Thank god for me".

He's quite pleasant off-camera(like with James Rolfe/AVGN), but much the same way he's definitely no stranger to some people not liking his show format.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I used to hate him, too, but the whole gimmick has "clicked", and now it's like I'm in on the joke. Now I actually enjoy the whole mis-en-scene.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yes. He frequently makes good points but his presentation is so awful I can't make it through his videos.

The gimmick is designed purposefully because people always try to shout down his points that he doesn't matter or that he thinks he's a big deal when he's not. So the gimmick takes that and goes as far as possible with the idea, presenting himself as some sort of insane propagandist, while constantly and consistently pointing out anything that's silly or ultimately just his opinion. I really really think it works, and Jimquisition has replaced Extra Credits as the most consistent show about the game industry (in general).

Tl;dr saying "this Jim guy seems REALLY egotistical" is like saying "this Colbert guy seems really ignorant, he keeps accidentally defeating his own conservative arguments".

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    IMO, pretending to be an asshole isn't really much better than actually being one. I'm sure he probably does eventually make a good point, but I don't have the patience to get that far in.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The gimmick is designed purposefully because people always try to shout down his points that he doesn't matter or that he thinks he's a big deal when he's not. So the gimmick takes that and goes as far as possible with the idea, presenting himself as some sort of insane propagandist, while constantly and consistently pointing out anything that's silly or ultimately just his opinion. I really really think it works, and Jimquisition has replaced Extra Credits as the most consistent show about the game industry (in general).

Tl;dr saying "this Jim guy seems REALLY egotistical" is like saying "this Colbert guy seems really ignorant, he keeps accidentally defeating his own conservative arguments".

Thing is, Colbert managed to balance that knife edge.

Jim just seems like an asshole, even with knowledge of the gimmick.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I haven't watched the ep yet, but did Jim talk about the fact that Nintendo produces based on their expectations, then sells that to distributors who pass it on to retail sites, and as a result has no control of the pipeline once it passes out of their stock?

Edit: Or that given Nintendo's current fiscal status, it is really, REALLY bad if they overproduce and don't make their money back?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Athenor wrote: »
    I haven't watched the ep yet, but did Jim talk about the fact that Nintendo produces based on their expectations, then sells that to distributors who pass it on to retail sites, and as a result has no control of the pipeline once it passes out of their stock?

Edit: Or that given Nintendo's current fiscal status, it is really, REALLY bad if they overproduce and don't make their money back?

In an indirect sense what he covers implies that Nintendo's fiscal status is entirely of their own doing because of their habit of underproducing and willingly not keeping up with demand, despite the fact that they could make record profits if they simply bothered to care. Not for lack of capability given they shipped ten million units of the new Pokeymans, but because Nintendo has a toymaker mentality when it comes to their side products and it's only biting them in the ass. (he explores this specific mentality further in the video)

The risks of mildly overproducing far outweigh the potential profits given the extreme demand for Amiibos and the NES Classic, given the extent to which unfulfilled demand has translated into consumer animosity towards Nintendo with three whole undershipping debacles so far.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jim isn't James Rolfe. He tweets and chats on forums plenty and his real personality is not that different from on camera. He is still playing it up but he's no modest shyguy. For good or ill.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    the fact that Nintendo produces based on their expectations, then sells that to distributors who pass it on to retail sites, and as a result has no control of the pipeline once it passes out of their stock?

If this is at all true then Nintendo is incompetent. Producers like Nintendo get to negotiate the terms with the distributors they do business with it. Hell, even as a small business you can do this.

• Options
    Nope. Manufacturing a physical item takes at least six months of designing, planning and contracting with manufacturing facilities, unlike DVDs, which can be pumped out more or less at will since all that's changing is the printed data on the disk and the info on the paper wrapper.

Nintendo may be playing it conservative, but we're talking about a market that takes a looooooong time to tweak. There's big risk on overproducing, since you have items rotting on shelves that may never sell. And Amibos and the NES Classic weren't guaranteed to be as huge as they were. Even after Nintendo figured out the NES Classic would be popular it could still take them months to get them back onto shelves.

• Options
    Also keep in mind that a lot of Nintendo's demand is because of scalpers. If Nintendo overproduced to overwhelm the scalpers, there'd be such a glut of product that no one would buy them in enough quantities for Nintendo to make a product -- if they don't sell in the stores, new orders aren't placed with Nintendo, and sometimes they even have to sell stock back, and it hurts future orders.

So you have this razor's edge to walk - make enough to overwhelm the scalpers' demand without flooding the market. So far, they haven't found that balance because the scalpers don't know when to quit. I put a LOT of the blame with these shortages on Amazon and eBay's shoulders, to be frank.

I'll also point to how re-issues of Amiibo 6 months later have no problems with being able to get them.. because at that point the scalpers have made their money and demand has died down, so there isn't as much profit in it. If no one buys the scalped merchandise, the availability will open up.

(I've been an avid toy collector for 16 years and a Nintendo fan for 30, I've studied how the supply chain works. It's really jacked up... but marxist "invisible hand" theory has a root somewhere!)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The other extreme side of the amiibo coin is the Animal Crossing line. Whether they produced so many to counter the scalper market, or because they genuinely wanted them to be the next "It" thing, I don't know. But the market is positively flooded. And nobody is buying them. I swear, at some points stores were virtually trying to give the things away. Retailers can't be happy with all these statues taking up space, and Nintendo can't be happy with the money spent making them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And hell, we've had cool-looking tiny versions of classic systems for years and years. Atari, Sega, arcade, etc. They seemed to do okay but never really set the world on fire. Even if Nintendo took their average sales and doubled it for their projections, it wouldn't come anywhere near what demand for the NES Classic seems to be.

Now I'm curious. Anyone remember what those Atari collections were called, or how much they sold?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Started 7th Dragon III VFD tonight. I bought it when it came out but I am bad at playing games in timely fashion.

I was amazed by the character selection options. Normally the male options in games where you make your entire party are, well, your pick of goofy teen boys. I almost always end up with an all-girl party just because the guys make me cringe.

This game actually has an old guy! And not an old guy in the "he's 32, that's like ancient!" sense, but an actual 50+ adult male with grey hair and wrinkles and a damn fine sense of fashion. I am fast approaching that age, and when I get there I want to BE this guy. One of the voice actors even sounds like they might need to shave daily, so I don't have a chipper boyish voice breaking me out of my fisticuffs grandpa immersion.

The rest of my party is, of course, a pistol wielding maid and a schoolgirl with katanas. I make no excuses: I may be old but I like cute girls.

I've been wanting to pick this up but it's only 25% off right now and yeah it's a new release, but I think I need more