As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Direct's going on.

New Warioware and a new Dillon game!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Up-port of Mario & Luigi's Inside Story, this time with a Bowser Jr. side-game.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Christ, I want all of these games...Warioware, Dillon, Bowser's Inside Story, Detective Pikachu and now goddamn Luigi's Mansion...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    And a remake of the original Luigi's Mansion game, with a boss rush mode.

• Options
    3DS version of Captain Toad.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    WARIO

WARE

GOLD!

God I love me some WarioWare. Definitely the most exciting thing in that direct for me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Anyone playing Detective Pikachu?

I'm about halfway in and it's almost braindead easy. But good lord, they went all out with animated cutscenes and voice acting. It's practically an interactive cartoon, and it's utterly charming.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm about halfway in and it's almost braindead easy. But good lord, they went all out with animated cutscenes and voice acting. It's practically an interactive cartoon, and it's utterly charming.

That's kind of what I was hoping it would be. I might buy it based on reading this.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Next week I have more free time than usual and I have been considering spending it playing Detective Pikachu. This sounds exactly like what I wanted it to be.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Alliance alive comes out tomorrow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFBSlgRmos
    The era of good rpgs always comes in the twilight of a Nintendo system

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    As of the afternoon on this odd combination of April first, Easter, and a local annual event, I've actually completed every StreetPass puzzle. It seems unlikely we'll get any more, so that's the surprising end of a half-decade long project.

It's a bit sad as well, as I no longer play any full games making use of StreetPass, so the only thing to look forward to when the green light flashes is getting free analysts in Market Crashers, and maybe some additional rounds of Find Mii 1/2.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Alliance Alive is really good. If you didn't like Legend of Legacy it might not sway your mind but they have refined some of the mechanics of the game. I'm not terrible far in, but i've gotten past where the demo ends and i'm enjoying it tremendously. It's still fairly grindy at this point but the characters are adorable (although very tropey) but i'm not sure how they are going to pull all the plot pieces together.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Legacy was a horrible slog for random battles after a while for me. Did they improve on having to buff the hell up and fight everything like a miniboss (or go all in and burning resources for nukes)?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Went out of town for a couple days, took the 3DS with me and banged through a pile of Metroid. It's not as fun as I remember Super Metroid being. Part of it is the thing is just so uncomfortable to hold and try to work all the controls; the melee counter in particular is sort of shitty.

For the older Zelda 3DS XL, what's the best enclosure / grip thinger? Anyone have one that works well?

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Legacy was a horrible slog for random battles after a while for me. Did they improve on having to buff the hell up and fight everything like a miniboss (or go all in and burning resources for nukes)?

i'm trying to remember the exact mechanics of legend because i never finished it, although i felt like i got pretty far. in AA you auto heal after each battle but your spell points don't auto recover. The first two areas were pretty easy to get through and i just wiped on a boss for the first time in the third area. There are definitely still "hidden" mechanics. Like using a spear against certain enemies just don't do damage but if you switch to an axe you'll crush them. So yeah, it's still a SaGa game.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nosf wrote: »
    Went out of town for a couple days, took the 3DS with me and banged through a pile of Metroid. It's not as fun as I remember Super Metroid being. Part of it is the thing is just so uncomfortable to hold and try to work all the controls; the melee counter in particular is sort of shitty.

For the older Zelda 3DS XL, what's the best enclosure / grip thinger? Anyone have one that works well?

On mobile right now so I can't find it easily, but search eBay for a Japanese one. So it will be for the 'LL'. Should be a red and white package, has a little flap in the back that hides two games. Best accessory I've ever bought.

Be really careful about getting one for your specific version though. Otherwise buttons will be covered or it just won't fit. I think Amazon had better info and pics but eBay was always cheaper.

Edit: Got home to look up my old order. This one. If you've got the old non-New XL I think you'd need one like this. I only see red, but again, might be more on eBay. You can zoom in on the image to make sure it looks like your model, the way the home button is set up is a good thing to reference.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

i'm trying to remember the exact mechanics of legend because i never finished it, although i felt like i got pretty far. in AA you auto heal after each battle but your spell points don't auto recover. The first two areas were pretty easy to get through and i just wiped on a boss for the first time in the third area. There are definitely still "hidden" mechanics. Like using a spear against certain enemies just don't do damage but if you switch to an axe you'll crush them. So yeah, it's still a SaGa game.

quoting myself for reference. i'm up to chapter 11 now and so far while there have been some tough bosses, i have only wiped once. for the most part, leveling up skills and using some defensive abilities and "formations" (which are very cool) has made the game fairly enjoyable. Also, they added a speed up battle similar to what bravely default has. They also have talents that you can unlock that let you avoid monsters in the overworld but they require you to grind to unlock. i'm definitely digging the story although the pacing is maybe a little slow.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I hope your reorganization efforts pay off. ;)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I've started on Detective Pikachu. The game is fairly easy, but it still does a decent job at sometimes making me feel smart anyway when I get a hunch where things are going. I've stopped at the interview in the lab, and I have a pretty good guess on part of what's going on.
    Fennekin is the only Pokemon in the lab that doesn't have some sort of research or maintenance purpose. It's also distinctly out of place hanging out near a bunch of Pokemon that are literally trees. Combine that with the fact that the lab has been doing research on Zorua...

edit:
    Aww, that wasn't it. Looking back over the document again, I guess that was research done by the old lab, not the new one.

jothki on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    My daughter is playing Harvest Moon: A New Beginning and it's making my wife want to play Harvest Moon again.
    I know Harvest Moon isn't by the Harvest Moon people anymore, so what's the best or better Harvest Moon like game on the 3DS I could give my wife for her rapidly approaching birthday?

(Yes, I know how many times I said Harvest Moon in this post)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Rune Factory 4 maybe?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Rune Factory 4 is probably one of the best HM-like games (was a spin-off of the series), really. But Story of Seasons is the series that is Harvest Moon by a different name. The original SoS refines a lot of A New Beginning's stuff and introduces some of its own problems and then I think The Tale of Two Towns does pretty much the same thing with the original SoS. I don't quite know, I never got to play The Tale of Two Towns because my 3DS broke and I just haven't bothered to replace it but bad frame rate aside, SoS was very enjoyable.

Edit: I am bad at remembering names, see Swash's post below.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I really want Etrigan X to make it to the states. Dualclassing, all the old classes back. Yes please!

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'd recommend Rune Factory 4 as well. I haven't played any other harvest moon style games, but I did love rf4. It isn't all harvest moon, you also go explore dungeons and it has simple combat and all that. Which I like, but if you wanted to just farm it'd probably recommend a different game.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Rune Factory 4 is probably one of the best HM-like games (was a spin-off of the series), really. But Story of Seasons is the series that is Harvest Moon by a different name. The original SoS refines a lot of A New Beginning's stuff and introduces some of its own problems and then I think The Tale of Two Towns does pretty much the same thing with the original SoS. I don't quite know, I never got to play The Tale of Two Towns because my 3DS broke and I just haven't bothered to replace it but bad frame rate aside, SoS was very enjoyable.

The new Story of Seasons is Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. It's pretty good, especially with the DLC that adds new conversations and events. It is not to be confused with Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, which should not be purchased on 3DS because it has a serious crash bug that to my knowledge was never fixed.

@ArcSyn If your wife liked ANB, she should quite enjoy Trio of Towns. It has a far superior selection of bachelors to ANB and a better localization than the Natsume games. And unlike the first Story of Seasons, it does not practically require a massive spreadsheet in order to access later-game content. (I made said spreadsheet, but I am nuts.) That'd be my recommendation for her.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The DS version of Tale of Two Towns works fine, and I believe there's really only a minigame or two worth of difference between them. The 3DS version does have a bad crash bug that they didn't bother to fix.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to go back to either Ouendan or EBA one of these days

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I've been meaning to go back to either Ouendan or EBA one of these days

Ouendan has a better song and beat selection, but EBA was plenty fun as well. I regret ever getting rid of Ouendan.

Edit: Thank you everyone for suggestions. I would probably enjoy RF4, but my wife enjoys the simple farming life so it sounds like Trio of Town may be the better option for her specifically.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So looks like Grezzo's developing Luigi's Mansion and not Next Level Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKM3Tqxz0ng

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

They finally have a Zelda themed DS that isn't hideous and it's a few years too late and a frickin' 2DS.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

They finally have a Zelda themed DS that isn't hideous and it's a few years too late and a frickin' 2DS.

This makes me want one so bad, even though I already have a n3DS XL.

However, it also makes me laugh because the last two major Zelda games have put almost zero emphasis or consideration to the Hylian shield, rather than it being part of the iconic "Zelda" look. Even LBW it was a very late item.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm prolly gonna get that 2DS.. Been meanin to get a 2DSXL anyway.. Tried one at the summer of play event and they seemed much improved form factor wise over the 3DSXL's.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's been a few days, and I'm still annoyed about it. I've been wanting them to do a Hylian Shield DS design for years. But there's no way I'm downgrading from my N3DS, and especially not dumping more money into the platform this late in its life. And as much as I enjoy the Switch, it doesn't really lend itself well to these kind of fun designs.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hmm... is that molded detail, or just printed to look like molded detail? I figure the latter is more like, but the former would be impressively cool -- and far more tempting (and I don't even want a 2DS).

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I actually want a smol n3ds
    never gonna get one, tho

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I actually want a smol n3ds
    never gonna get one, tho
    Why not? NOA sells them as refurbs direct from their own online store, and Nintendo refurbs are good-as-new. Just checked and the white one is still available right now.

I just love mine. Definitely the best version of the system for my hands. The improved CPU, 3D, battery life, and download speeds are awesome.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm not in the US :(

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Stormwatcher What region of system do you need?

IceBurner on