As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does anyone have the pikachu 2ds xl? I was thinking about picking it up tomorrow as my first 2ds xl. Either that or going with the black and teal one.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The article's pretty inflammatory as written, but... it makes a point that isn't really wrong.

Think of it this way: yes, there are 70 million 3DSes around, but that doesn't mean all the owners are willing to buy 3DS games at this point in time. Or to put it another way, there were over 154 million DSes sold. That means it makes even MORE sense to make DS games than 3DS games, right? Of course not. By now, pretty much everyone who has owned a DS has long since stopped buying DS games, aside from the tiny portion of the audience that are crazy into backlogs.

The point is, no matter how well a system sells, it'll stop selling games once its successor comes out or the line dies off. The 3DS is no different. Whether you choose to blame Switch, cellphones, slowing support or Satan, the 3DS has reached a time in which a big chunk of its audience just plain won't buy another 3DS game. Anecdotally, I love Warioware games, and would like playing another one... but I don't want to dig the 3DS out of my closet to do it. I'd rather have it on Switch, which is something I'm now playing regularly. We can argue about how much of the audience has moved on, but it's definitely happening.

(Standard biz talk disclaimer: pointing out poor sales does not mean I'm implying I hate the console or that you're wrong for liking it; in fact I adore the 3DS and wish to marry it and bear its children; I'm just bringing this stuff up because I'm a huge business dork and find this crap interesting, I honestly don't want to tick people off, etc.)

There definitely needs to be some sort of cutoff, we really don't want another PSVita situation where developers decide to play Weekend at Bernie's with it for years.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The article's pretty inflammatory as written, but... it makes a point that isn't really wrong.

Think of it this way: yes, there are 70 million 3DSes around, but that doesn't mean all the owners are willing to buy 3DS games at this point in time. Or to put it another way, there were over 154 million DSes sold. That means it makes even MORE sense to make DS games than 3DS games, right? Of course not. By now, pretty much everyone who has owned a DS has long since stopped buying DS games, aside from the tiny portion of the audience that are crazy into backlogs.

The point is, no matter how well a system sells, it'll stop selling games once its successor comes out or the line dies off. The 3DS is no different. Whether you choose to blame Switch, cellphones, slowing support or Satan, the 3DS has reached a time in which a big chunk of its audience just plain won't buy another 3DS game. Anecdotally, I love Warioware games, and would like playing another one... but I don't want to dig the 3DS out of my closet to do it. I'd rather have it on Switch, which is something I'm now playing regularly. We can argue about how much of the audience has moved on, but it's definitely happening.

(Standard biz talk disclaimer: pointing out poor sales does not mean I'm implying I hate the console or that you're wrong for liking it; in fact I adore the 3DS and wish to marry it and bear its children; I'm just bringing this stuff up because I'm a huge business dork and find this crap interesting, I honestly don't want to tick people off, etc.)

There definitely needs to be some sort of cutoff, we really don't want another PSVita situation where developers decide to play Weekend at Bernie's with it for years.

Says you

How dare you badmouth the Vita

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Says you

How dare you badmouth the Vita

Yeah, by everyone's definitions in this thread, "It's still getting games released for it" and "I still have a ton of games to play for it", if the 3DS isn't dead, the Vita is nowhere near dead.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Vita means life.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Stop trying to kill perfectly fine systems because you want everything out on your favorite platforms.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Stop trying to kill perfectly fine systems because you want everything out on your favorite platforms.

Hell, they’re still releasing new SNES games

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/devolver_digital_is_releasing_a_new_snes_game_and_its_for_a_worthy_cause

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I've still got at least 30 hours on Bravely Default, then the entirety of Bravely Second, Almost all of Pokemon Sun, and Metroid to play. I'll be playing the 3DS for a long time yet to come. It's been my most played Nintendo device I've ever had, I think.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for a replacement for Animal Crossing, something casual and relaxing that I can just chill out and play whenever I feel like it.

I've basically boiled it down to Rune Factory 4 or SoS: Trio of Towns but I'm not sure which to choose. Everywhere I look basically says that RF is the better game, but it also seems like it's less casual and more like an action RPG. These two were slightly discussed a few pages back, but is one absolutely better than the other? I'm mostly looking for something with charm that I don't really have to think about too hard.

Stardew Valley almost fits the bill, but the days are short and I constantly feel rushed to do everything and that really turned me off of that game.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Fantasy Life is more actiony, but it's super chill and cute and you can play as much as you want for as long as you want.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Rune Factory 4 is definitely more action-y than SoS because it has dungeons for you to head into to advance the story and such. But the story only really advances when you make it, so you don't have to go through the dungeons right away or anything like that. (Some of the monster animal replacements you can only get in later dungeons, though, which kind of limits you if you want to focus on farming and such.) It's definitely a great game, though.

SoS is definitely more laid back but I haven't played it. It's Harvest Moon, so you make of it what you want, really.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Fantasy Life is more actiony, but it's super chill and cute and you can play as much as you want for as long as you want.

Rune Factory 4's combat is surprisingly frantic considering the tone of the game. Fantasy Life combat is a bit slower and more chill. It's just a really relaxing game.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I also still want to recommend Stardew Valley. I know you already vetoed it, but it is a much better game that Rune Factory or SoS.

If you ever want to give it another chance, I would suggest choosing one thing you want to do in-game and just focusing on that (IE just farming or just fishing) and do your best to be in bed by 10 pm. That helped me with the day duration, I didn't have nearly as much to do each day and if I was late getting back home to bed I was still getting back well before the deadline.

Fantasy Life is legit great, though it's a bit of a different kind of game.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

Rune Factory 4's combat is surprisingly frantic considering the tone of the game. Fantasy Life combat is a bit slower and more chill. It's just a really relaxing game.

oh, sure, I meant more actiony than AC.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I also still want to recommend Stardew Valley. I know you already vetoed it, but it is a much better game that Rune Factory or SoS.

I'll give you RF1, 2, or even 3 but there's no way Stardew is a much better game than RF4.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I honestly also feel pressured by Stardew Valley. I like it, but is definitely not chill.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Really? How so? I mean you could literally wake up and walk around each day and do nothing if you wanted to. For the longest time I just fished for money.

• Options
    but there are seasons! and festivals! and two years before the deadline! and I need to seduce all the ladies!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Really? How so? I mean you could literally wake up and walk around each day and do nothing if you wanted to. For the longest time I just fished for money.

I hated, HATED the go-to-sleep-whether-you-like-it-or-not mechanic and it bounced me off the game for years. It clicked for me on the Switch mainly because of the pick up and play nature of the console itself; it felt less of a block since I was only playing short-ish sessions (at first). It never completely stopped irritating me to some degree or other though.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Shower thought from this morning: I wish we had gotten a Pokemon Z.

I'd like Game Freak to half-ass one out on the 3DS as a send-off for the system. (Though I guess that's what Ultra Sun and Moon are for...)

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Shower thought from this morning: I wish we had gotten a Pokemon Z.

I'd like Game Freak to half-ass one out on the 3DS as a send-off for the system. (Though I guess that's what Ultra Sun and Moon are for...)

Sun/Moon + Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon arguably got the Pokemon Z Content with the Zygarde Sidequest. And maybe with the Z-moves? And we didn't have to return to the milquetoast characters of X/Y. I'd say we got the better end of that bargain.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Kalos is pretty, tho. and it had combo Pokemon Center + Pokemart, unlike ORAS

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    That is kind of weird now that you mention it. Was there any other Pokemon game that didn't get a third version?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    That is kind of weird now that you mention it. Was there any other Pokemon game that didn't get a third version?

Depends how you count B2/W2.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I mean that's the same idea I guess.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I really feel bad as I got quite lost in that game and spent a good amount of time trying to remember where I left off

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I really feel bad as I got quite lost in that game and spent a good amount of time trying to remember where I left off

IIRC, most of the time when you don't know how to progress the main story, the answer is to go to your house in Castele and go to bed. When you sleep after finishing a quest in the main chain, the mailman will deliver a letter which tells you where to go next.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

IIRC, most of the time when you don't know how to progress the main story, the answer is to go to your house in Castele and go to bed. When you sleep after finishing a quest in the main chain, the mailman will deliver a letter which tells you where to go next.

That is the problem I was looking to complete one quest and got lost ground out a few levels being lost leveled a bunch more while trying to figure out what?
    I gave up playing it after that as really I was hopelessly lost

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Hell, they’re still releasing new SNES games

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/devolver_digital_is_releasing_a_new_snes_game_and_its_for_a_worthy_cause

Star Fox 2 just came out last year.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    About time one of these had a Halloween release.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Is New Leaf a good place to start with Animal Crossing?

Been eyeballing these games for what seems like decades now and still have no idea what the hell they are and if I would even like them.

I have the F2P mobile game installed but I don't know if thats a good barometer of the average series gameplay.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Been eyeballing these games for what seems like decades now and still have no idea what the hell they are and if I would even like them.

I have the F2P mobile game installed but I don't know if thats a good barometer of the average series gameplay.

It's the one I started with, so I'm gonna say yes. Although by this time tomorrow we might know of a Switch version, so maybe you'll want to wait for that.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular

A lot of people like the mobile game, but I got burned out on it pretty quick. I'd say it's not a good entry into the series, but New Leaf definitely is.

Just keep in mind it's a chill game, it's meant to be played in 15 minute bursts a day, so don't go into it expecting something you can binge. It's definitely an experience though, I've been playing the series since it came out and it's one of my favorite.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pretty much any Animal Crossing is a great first Animal Crossing. New Leaf is probably the best iteration of the formula so far.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone here tried Stella Glow? I tried the demo but I'm curious to know how it is beyond that. It has some sort of bonding system in-between battles with the other party members, right?

• Options
    New Leaf is super extremely excellent.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

New Leaf is super great. I played it every day for an entire year plus some change. And a few years ago I picked it up again in Japanese just for kicks, and am having a great time all over again. It is absolutely the apex of the franchise in terms of content and things to do. The only thing I can imagine to complain about it is that the writing isn't quite as sharp as it is in the original Gamecube game (from what I remember), but there's still plenty of funny dialogue and the sheer amount of More Stuff and Portable makes it more than worth it.
    Maz- wrote: »

It's the one I started with, so I'm gonna say yes. Although by this time tomorrow we might know of a Switch version, so maybe you'll want to wait for that.

Fair, but I doubt it would be in a direct tomorrow- this directly is surely for their Holiday 2018 lineup. New announcements for 2019 are going to be announced in 2019. I suspect a Summer 2019 release would be the soonest we could get it, and even then I am a bit skeptical.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games