As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Man, I'm still playing DS and GBA games. I'm good.

I really need to restart Infinite Space and actually finish it this time.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Man, I'm still playing DS and GBA games. I'm good.

I really need to restart Infinite Space and actually finish it this time.

That was my last game I ever finished on the 3DS. I lurk this thread to see what new games I can add to the 3DS' library since it is now practically sitting next to my GB and GBASP.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Hell I still haven't finished Bravely Default and Pokemon Sun. Haven't even picked up Samus Returns yet. My 2DS has got quite a bit of life left in it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Hell I still haven't finished Bravely Default and Pokemon Sun. Haven't even picked up Samus Returns yet. My 2DS has got quite a bit of life left in it.

I finished pokemon Y this month.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm still working on Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Metroid Zero Mission.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

If at all, at this point.

But hey, Atlus does wacky stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Atlus is pretty good at localizing their games. I'd expect a release early to mid next year.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I love hearing about new 3DS releases. I really hope the 3DS and Switch can coexist for awhile.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just picked up bravely second from Fred Meyer for $16. Not sure when I’ll find a time to play it, but that was too good of a deal to pass up.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm sure there will be, as the 3ds has quite an install base, but I wouldn't expect to see nintendo itself supporting the console any further. I expect they'll end manufacturing soon too.

• Options
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Hmm, missing Persona Q2, though anyones guess if that comes stateside so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    that's so stupid.
    there's so many millions of 3DS' around.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    A shitty article on Kotaku? And by Jason Schreier no less? Well, I never!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    A shitty article on Kotaku? And by Jason Schreier no less? Well, I never!

Jason has written some really good stuff though. He's probably the premier games journalist in terms of actually releasing thoroughly researched and informative articles. This one is just a tantrum though.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Probably the worst line is "The Switch is too superior, too full of great games to get through." Like what? theres all of like 4 games for the switch that arent just ports from other systems. It is annoying that they arent really supporting the 3ds anymore even though they said they would continue to do so. I dont think a 3rd party game here and there really counts as supporting. In general im mostly worried about what happens when my 3ds' thumbstick stops working and i dont want to spend $100 to get another one. Im basically at that point with my psp as well since eventually the battery will go to shit and they havent produced new batteries for it in years. Makes me miss my old GB color because all id need is some AA batteries and itd be fine. Hell the OG gameboy coul take some mortar fire and still works. I feel like the only reason people would be hesitant to get more stuff for their 3ds would be out of fear that there could be some hardware failures or lack of other people to play X game with.

• Options
    The article's pretty inflammatory as written, but... it makes a point that isn't really wrong.

Think of it this way: yes, there are 70 million 3DSes around, but that doesn't mean all the owners are willing to buy 3DS games at this point in time. Or to put it another way, there were over 154 million DSes sold. That means it makes even MORE sense to make DS games than 3DS games, right? Of course not. By now, pretty much everyone who has owned a DS has long since stopped buying DS games, aside from the tiny portion of the audience that are crazy into backlogs.

The point is, no matter how well a system sells, it'll stop selling games once its successor comes out or the line dies off. The 3DS is no different. Whether you choose to blame Switch, cellphones, slowing support or Satan, the 3DS has reached a time in which a big chunk of its audience just plain won't buy another 3DS game. Anecdotally, I love Warioware games, and would like playing another one... but I don't want to dig the 3DS out of my closet to do it. I'd rather have it on Switch, which is something I'm now playing regularly. We can argue about how much of the audience has moved on, but it's definitely happening.

(Standard biz talk disclaimer: pointing out poor sales does not mean I'm implying I hate the console or that you're wrong for liking it; in fact I adore the 3DS and wish to marry it and bear its children; I'm just bringing this stuff up because I'm a huge business dork and find this crap interesting, I honestly don't want to tick people off, etc.)

• Options
    Developing a game takes at least a year. No dev team starting a new game today should even be thinking about the 3ds as a target. The switch's capabilities are so far beyond the capabilities of the 3ds it just doesn't make sense, especially when you're thinking about what the landscape will look like in a year.

To make things worse, given nintendo's track record, they will probably stop producing 3ds units soon, just like they stopped production of wiiu hardware before they had officially ended support for the console. That means new 3ds hardware will be harder to come by, and refurbished units and repairs will be less reliable. That's just the reality of a console on the downward slope of it's lifespan. When you factor that into the 3ds' current install base, it makes more and more sense to not spend the money on supporting it.

While there are a large number of 3ds units out there, not all of those units are going to be interested in new games. I image that a big percentage of the install base on the 3ds for a new shiny game already has a switch or another current generation of console hardware. Those users would rather buy your game on the newer systems, so that's even fewer expected returns on a 3ds investment at this point.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Developing a game takes at least a year. No dev team starting a new game today should even be thinking about the 3ds as a target. The switch's capabilities are so far beyond the capabilities of the 3ds it just doesn't make sense, especially when you're thinking about what the landscape will look like in a year.

To make things worse, given nintendo's track record, they will probably stop producing 3ds units soon, just like they stopped production of wiiu hardware before they had officially ended support for the console. That means new 3ds hardware will be harder to come by, and refurbished units and repairs will be less reliable. That's just the reality of a console on the downward slope of it's lifespan. When you factor that into the 3ds' current install base, it makes more and more sense to not spend the money on supporting it.

While there are a large number of 3ds units out there, not all of those units are going to be interested in new games. I image that a big percentage of the install base on the 3ds for a new shiny game already has a switch or another current generation of console hardware. Those users would rather buy your game on the newer systems, so that's even fewer expected returns on a 3ds investment at this point.

Except a lot of the games that are coming out are sequels of a sort- the groundwork for an engine and basic graphical assets is already laid out, etc. I'm not saying there isn't work to be done in that regard, but the cost to produce a game like this could hypothetically be substantially less. Especially when you consider how time-intensive and expensive HD games can be to make (from what it seems). So if the 3DS is still performing well, and the game is relatively inexpensive to make, there may still be a window to make a tidy profit on the 3DS. Just Dance still releases Wii editions every year, doesn't it?

I understand why people who have their Switch are ready to move on to the new thing. The Switch is lovely! But that doesn't mean that other consoles have just died overnight. I still play my 3DS (Pokemon) about as much as I play my Switch!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think it would've been nice if more developers looked at 3DS/Switch development the way they looked at PS3/PS4 and 360/XBO. A lot of games just targeted both systems during the transition phase. Everybody won.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd be fine with more dual-releases like Captain Toad until the 3DS goes off into the sunset.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The PS2 sold 150 million units! Sony would be stupid to stop making PS2 games!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Not everyone can afford a Switch. For a lot of kids and poorer families, a 3DS might be the only gaming option they have.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Not everyone can afford a Switch. For a lot of kids and poorer families, a 3DS might be the only gaming option they have.

And at the end of its lifespan, the PS2 was $99. Eventually it's time to move on.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And at the end of its lifespan, the PS2 was $99. Eventually it's time to move on.

Yeah, eventually. But for the 3DS, that's not 2018.

• Options

Yeah, eventually. But for the 3DS, that's not 2018.

How is it not? Because you don't want it to be? It's been 7 years since release and Nintendo has a new portable-ish console out. If someone wants a new 3DS, there are plenty of games out that they can get for it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The PS2 sold 150 million units! Sony would be stupid to stop making PS2 games!!

Do you really think what I wrote is equivalent to this?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Tried out the Warioware Gold demo, pretty fun. Though it got awkward trying to juggle between the buttons, motion, and stylus touch microgames mash up. Also it's weird to have a fully voice acted Wario talking to you, apparently all the characters will be fully voiced in the story bits? It does bother me that Wario calls the D-pad the "plus button".

• Options
    Tried out the Warioware Gold demo, pretty fun. Though it got awkward trying to juggle between the buttons, motion, and stylus touch microgames mash up. Also it's weird to have a fully voice acted Wario talking to you, apparently all the characters will be fully voiced in the story bits? It does bother me that Wario calls the D-pad the "plus button".

Dunno about the demo, but from what I hear the game gives you plenty of time to get used to button, motion and stylus stuff separately before throwing everything at you. And yep, voices everywhere are kind of weirding people out.

I'll probably pick it up down the road when it gets cheaper.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I mean I'll probably be a little sad when 3ds games stop coming out, but then again between it and the DS I have plenty left to discover.

I love my switch and my 3ds and go between them pretty regularly. In fact between breaks on octopath, I've been playing a new file in pokemon white 2.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I still have a few unfinished games and some I still haven't gotten around to buying. Plus, I do enjoy the occasional Zelda replay, so unless they port OOT/MM/ALBW to Switch, the ol' 3DS still has plenty of future gameplay hours ahead.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Also, I'm keeping my 3DS around for portability. The Switch is great for playing anywhere around the house, but it's not really a system I can take out to the street the way a 3DS is. Hell, the 3DSXL already was approaching the upper boundary of a portable system as it was.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Also, I'm keeping my 3DS around for portability. The Switch is great for playing anywhere around the house, but it's not really a system I can take out to the street the way a 3DS is. Hell, the 3DSXL already was approaching the upper boundary of a portable system as it was.

True. It's why I kept my original 3DS. It's my portable, while the XL is like the switch. It's usually just played around the house.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, my New 3DS Small (I got the Animal Crossing one) fits in my purse and my Switch does not. I'll buy a bigger purse eventually, but in the meantime I still need to finish Bravely Second, Planet Robobot, and Story of Seasons ToT. That's... a lot of gaming left.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I still turn on my 3DS every day to claim my daily reward in Culdcept! :o

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I still turn on my 3DS every day to claim my daily reward in Culdcept! :o

Speak of the devil. I just saw you login to it too.

anoffday on
  • Options
    I do it for the Pokepélago stuff

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I do it for the Pokepélago stuff

gotta get them bottlecaps

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon