As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    ...Which is supposed to be women's??

neither. It's whatever you like. I'm a fan of the cowboy hat and the laser gun personally.

My whole problem with all these bathroom arguments is that I hate the entire concept of shared public bathrooms. I don't so much mind the public bathrooms at some restaurants where the bathroom is made for one person to go in there and close and lock the door. That's great. But this whole pooping-next-to-other-people thing is not something I have ever been able to do. I'd rather just hold it. Putting a worthless partial wall between another dude's sputtering, smoldering asshole and my face doesn't do much for either privacy or my urge to vomit.

And honestly, I would prefer to share a bathroom with any and every trans person on earth before I would want to share a bathroom with:

--Guy who uses the urinal/stall directly next to yours even though seven other ones are open
    --Guy who does above thing but ALSO starts talking to you. ("Nice weather we're having!" *huge splattery fart*)
    --Guy who can't use a toilet/urinal without spitting on/in it first. (Based on my observation, this is at least 20 to 30 percent of the male population.)

I just had to quote this. What is the deal with people spitting in the urinal? I seriously never got it.

Because many of us were taught from a very young age that spitting on the ground, or in public, is extremely rude/uncouth behavior. So we learned to do it in the bathroom. I mean, really, who cares if I spit in a urinal? My pee is going in there, my spit isn't going to hurt it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Being competent politicians with less bonkers policy positions would have been a big boost for Johnson and Harambe.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    Bloomberg in a year like this would be taking the not Trump and not Hillary voters. That is a non zero number.

I'm almost disappointed he didn't because it likely would have fractured the GOP into a Bloomberg supporting faction and the Trump fraction.
    No he wouldnt, nobody actually likes Bloomberg.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kipling wrote: »
    Bloomberg in a year like this would be taking the not Trump and not Hillary voters. That is a non zero number.

I'm almost disappointed he didn't because it likely would have fractured the GOP into a Bloomberg supporting faction and the Trump fraction.
    No he wouldnt, nobody actually likes Bloomberg.

Outside DC/NYC green rooms, anyway.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Being competent politicians with less bonkers policy positions would have been a big boost for Johnson and Harambe.

If you're a competent politician you join up as a Republican or Democrat.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Maryland early voting started today

Line was out the door. Over 700 people so far at my polling place. From standing in line, there were two very loud trump supporters and one very loud trump detractor.

+1 for the HC

ems3lb3b1l6t.jpg

xcv5jx5xrjga.jpg

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    There is absolutely room in the electoral system for someone to launch an independent bid and credibly threaten. The problem is such a person would need to be politically savvy, and you don't get to be that unless you've worked with one of the major parties for years.

Ross Perot was a total dingbat and he threatened into the summer. I think someone smarter and better than him gets a lot further

If this election cycle has proved anything its that you don't even have to run third party to push an insurgency campaign within the existing parties that can align them to your ideology.

Roz on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    GnomeTank wrote: »

neither. It's whatever you like. I'm a fan of the cowboy hat and the laser gun personally.

My whole problem with all these bathroom arguments is that I hate the entire concept of shared public bathrooms. I don't so much mind the public bathrooms at some restaurants where the bathroom is made for one person to go in there and close and lock the door. That's great. But this whole pooping-next-to-other-people thing is not something I have ever been able to do. I'd rather just hold it. Putting a worthless partial wall between another dude's sputtering, smoldering asshole and my face doesn't do much for either privacy or my urge to vomit.

And honestly, I would prefer to share a bathroom with any and every trans person on earth before I would want to share a bathroom with:

--Guy who uses the urinal/stall directly next to yours even though seven other ones are open
    --Guy who does above thing but ALSO starts talking to you. ("Nice weather we're having!" *huge splattery fart*)
    --Guy who can't use a toilet/urinal without spitting on/in it first. (Based on my observation, this is at least 20 to 30 percent of the male population.)

I just had to quote this. What is the deal with people spitting in the urinal? I seriously never got it.

Because many of us were taught from a very young age that spitting on the ground, or in public, is extremely rude/uncouth behavior. So we learned to do it in the bathroom. I mean, really, who cares if I spit in a urinal? My pee is going in there, my spit isn't going to hurt it.

I feel like I was pretty clear on this. Next up is assigning infractions.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Just found out the library that's like 2 miles from my house is one of the early voting places so hopefully I'll have that taken care of tonight.

Not going to do much good in Tennessee but whatevs, still one less vote for Donald S. Trump*

*The S. is for "shitlord"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The third parties don't actually want power, they run these little self promotion fests disguised as presidential campaigns and thats it

If they put a concerted effort I think they could get some congressional seats, maybe not easily, but that's all it takes for them to get a voice in the national conversation (imagine if Johnson's people stole 5% of the House and were the deciding factor in whether or not the D's could pass things, they would have *huge* leverage over the Rs)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    jothki was warned for this.
    GnomeTank wrote: »

There are plenty of people out there who just don't feel the need to spit at all. You're trapped inside a spitting culture.

Tube on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    it would seem to me that on economic stuff at the very least this theoretical libertarian 5% would side with the R's 100% of the time.

Social issues? maybe not so much

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    it would seem to me that on economic stuff at the very least this theoretical libertarian 5% would side with the R's 100% of the time.

From my experience libertarians tended to be embarrassed republicans. So they agreed on social issues more often than not. Like Ron Paul is Libertarian royalty and he's an anti abortion racist fuckwhit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    +2 for Hilldawg and downticket Dems here in CO. Their mail in system is pretty great overall, and I love that the state sends a ballot guide a couple weeks beforehand...you can even review it online!

One oddity, but I'm assuming it's a cost-saving measure, is that the return envelope doesn't have postage already added...you've got to add your own stamps. Thankfully they make it pretty convenient to drop your envelope off at one of several locations in most areas.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    There's a left right split in the lib party right now from what I can tell.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

the Rs are fairly in the pocket of industry, and often support various things that are basically subsides.

libertarians in theory would not support these. if Republicans were capable of making arguments about monetary policy, libertarians would be more conservative than the Republicans.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    +2 for HRC and for raising our corporate taxes in OR

Woo

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    +2 for Hilldawg and downticket Dems here in CO. Their mail in system is pretty great overall, and I love that the state sends a ballot guide a couple weeks beforehand...you can even review it online!

One oddity, but I'm assuming it's a cost-saving measure, is that the return envelope doesn't have postage already added...you've got to add your own stamps. Thankfully they make it pretty convenient to drop your envelope off at one of several locations in most areas.

This always kills me in Colorado. It's not the paying postage part. Even though I think it should be gratis, I'll accept that paying postage is a meager cost for the convenience of voting by mail.

What does slay me however is that the postage is 68 cents. And unless you're some mutant who owns your own postage meter, has a random assortment of odd-valued stamps, or just recently got married so you own a booklet of 68 cent stamps, the average American only has 48 cent stamps. Sigh. I probably waste more money in ten minutes at Starbucks, but that extra 28 cents wasted always seemed criminally inefficient, and I bet hundreds of thousands of Coloradans do it.

And yes, the Blue Book is amazing. I love it. I don't seem to get it consistently anymore though - I wonder if you have to sign up? It's available online, so I'm not too worried. Another super good one is the League of Women Voters guide. Both do a masterful job at converting lawyer-speak into cogent English.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    khain wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    *Oh hey, I'll look up early voting in Delaware so I don't have to stand in line*

"YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VALID REASON TO VOTE VIA ABSENTEE AND THERE'S NO EARLY POLLS SO CUT OFF A LEG OR STAND IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE"

.....shit

Virginia had the same thing, but the valid reason was very broad basically having a job fulfilled it.

Theres almost never any method for verifying, questioning or challenging absentee status even in states that lack no fault absentee voting. My wife leaves for work an hour before polls and it's not unusual for her to get home after polls close so she always absentee votes if shes working and they never even ask why she wants to.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I have heard in Washington state if you put it in the mail without postage they deliver it anyway, but never risked my vote like that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    After reading the discussion with Bill Weld he seems like a very thoughtful guy. Also someone who definitely is going to vote for HRC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/william-weld-libertarian.html

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OR does not provide stamps to return the ballot but most libraries are drop boxes as well as county govt buildings. I always just drop mine off.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have heard in Washington state if you put it in the mail without postage they deliver it anyway, but never risked my vote like that.

.. wouldn't a postage requirement constitute a poll tax?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm not gonna tell you Johnson is a great candidate by any measure but he could be 100x better as a candidate and he'd still have no chance. the system does make it pretty fucking hard for a third party candidate.

if Johnson was 100x better of a candidate he'd have well above 5% polling support

#HotTake

Perot faced off against Bill Clinton and Bush the Elder, two solid candidates and got 20% of the vote and he wasn't even that good a candidate (although he played populist well). A good third party candidate can't win but 5% is very obtainable. I don't think Johnson gets it in part because he's terrible and even NeverTrump Republicans aren't going to vote for him

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Tenek wrote: »

No because you can drop it off without any postage at many places in your county.

• Options
    NinotchkaNinotchka Registered User regular
    Any bets on how long after the election Melania decides to bail? The Donald just told her on national TV that she's making some speeches for him, whether she wants to or not.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/melania-trump-will-give-more-speeches-according-to-donald.html

Melania Trump told host George Stephanopoulos, “I’m there for him every time he needs me. And I might join him — we will see.”

Apparently she was speaking in hypotheticals, because when Donald followed up with, “She’s actually going to make two or three speeches,” Melania let out a surprised, “Oh!"

• Options

I have thought that too, but apparently not because you can drop it off at locations? So postage is just for covenience? I dunno.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My Facebook feed is mostly all pro (or grudgingly pro) Clinton. There's only two exceptions I've seen. A former coworker, not surprising here in KS, and one of my best fronds from high school, which is surprising, especially since he is a former Mormon living in Japan, and his brother, a current Mormon living in Idaho is a Clinton supporter.

Today he posted a thing about how Trump was sure to win because only LAT poll shows the truth and all the other polls "screw their data".

Fortunately, thanks to this thread I was able to remember and find the NYT article about why their methodology made then such an outlier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular

That would be akin to arguing that paying for gasoline to drive to the polls is a poll tax.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-trump-u-staff-included-drug-trafficker-child-molester-2016-10
    Donald Trump says he hand-picked only the best to teach success at Trump University. But dozens of those hired by the company had checkered pasts — including serious financial problems and even convictions for cocaine trafficking or child molestation, an Associated Press investigation has found.
    Half the 68 former faculty and staff identified by AP had personal bankruptcies, foreclosures, credit card defaults, tax liens or other indicators of significant money troubles prior to teaching Trump University courses promoting "wealth building" and "how to invest like a billionaire," according to AP's review. Many of those hired to teach did not have college degrees and were not licensed to broker real estate.

At least four had felony convictions.
    The best people!

Isorn on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Ninotchka wrote: »
    Any bets on how long after the election Melania decides to bail? The Donald just told her on national TV that she's making some speeches for him, whether she wants to or not.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/melania-trump-will-give-more-speeches-according-to-donald.html

Melania Trump told host George Stephanopoulos, “I’m there for him every time he needs me. And I might join him — we will see.”

Apparently she was speaking in hypotheticals, because when Donald followed up with, “She’s actually going to make two or three speeches,” Melania let out a surprised, “Oh!"

She'll be fine, there's plenty more Michelle Obama speeches for her to plagiarize.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Well, OK then.

I mean fucking hell is it that hard to make ballots exempt from postage? Is there some sort of constitutional requirement to incorporate at least one pointless stupidity into everything? (Article 1, Sections 4 and 8 suggest the answer is "yes".)

• Options
    I feel for Melania and honestly I'm a bit worried for her after this is all over. I hope she stays safe and happy, whatever that means.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular

I can verify this is 100% accurate. Throw it in the mail without postage and the Postal Service will deliver it anyways.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    There's a left right split in the lib party right now from what I can tell.

if there was a real push for dogmatic practice, the Libertarians would be laisse-faire capitalists who strongly supported LGBT/women's rights and educational reforms

funny how those voters statistically don't seem to exist

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    edit: GOD DAMMIT BC I DID WHAT YOU DID

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Well, OK then.

I mean fucking hell is it that hard to make ballots exempt from postage? Is there some sort of constitutional requirement to incorporate at least one pointless stupidity into everything? (Article 1, Sections 4 and 8 suggest the answer is "yes".)

When I sent in my mail-in(I ended up using the Federal write-in because I wasn't sure if my PA mail-in was actually going to come), there was an envelope template to print out that specifically had a bar code and big ol' writing saying "NO POSTAGE REQUIRED IN US"

I mean I ended up having to spend a whole twoonie to send it anyways, but if I lived closer to the border...

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I feel for Melania and honestly I'm a bit worried for her after this is all over. I hope she stays safe and happy, whatever that means.
    Yeah, I've seen this in a smaller scale with my In-Laws and if this goes badly for Trump, Melania and the kids are gonna face the brunt of it in a bad, bad way. If she's lucky, she has somewhere else to go until this blows over or he has some other interest that distracts him from this embarrassment.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well, OK then.

I think most of us have just decided a 49 cent stamp is not a hill to go die on.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    After Trump stunningly filed his FEC stuff for September early in the day a week back, who's the first for the final FEC filing before the election?

Ouch.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.