As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] Utopia and the new social order of my fanatical purifiers!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I glassed one of those zoos once.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Also one of my scientists is a psychic I found living on an planet no member my species has ever been to before, who swears he's a member of my species. I'm pretty sure he's lying and is some sort of eldritch horror laying low waiting for the stars to be right to devour everything, but he does good science so I'm keeping him.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Would you say he blinded you with science?

• Options
    No, I'm pretty sure he blinded me with psionics.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Also one of my scientists is a psychic I found living on an planet no member my species has ever been to before, who swears he's a member of my species. I'm pretty sure he's lying and is some sort of eldritch horror laying low waiting for the stars to be right to devour everything, but he does good science so I'm keeping him.

The Exile event really should be able to break your leader cap limit.

At least, I don't think it's capable of doing that?

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Synthesis wrote: »

The Exile event really should be able to break your leader cap limit.

At least, I don't think it's capable of doing that?

Every event that gives you an extra scientist leader can exceed the cap.

Yoshisummons on
  • Options
    I got the event moments after one of my other scientists died of old age, so I didn't have to worry about any cap. I suspect the Exile killed her. With mind bullets.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I got the event moments after one of my other scientists died of old age, so I didn't have to worry about any cap. I suspect the Exile killed her. With mind bullets.

That's telekinesis, Kyle.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

That's telekinesis, Kyle.

Kyyyyyyyle, that kills people!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well.

Apparently people get REALLY ATTACHED to their dumb industrial robots. A friend kept playing a game after I left, and when I came back, my empire was full of planets that had nothing but two to four robots on them, on planets with 20% habitability for my species.

So instead of waiting the 5 years or whatever to dismantle each individual fucking robot, I just outlawed AI. "Oh, a bunch of pops will get -5 happiness from this edict"

But they didn't mention that dismantling robots is treated by the game exactly as if you took everyone's family and shot them in the head.

Suddenly, my worlds went from 70-80% happiness to 0 from losing their precious, precious Wall-es.

god

damnit

EDIT: AAaaaaaaaaand the entire empire goes into revolt due to the 20+ instances of "Recent population purges happiness -5" on every pop in my empire. Game: lost.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    You can't just quit robots cold turkey man. You gotta ease out of that!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Robots are people, MechMantis. You monster.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    cN1BNQV.jpg
    DON'T DATE ROBOTS!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So, I'm at war with a faction my overlord is at war with. I'm at 21 percent of the the war thing and there aren't anymore targets. I have one planet occupied and have defeated any fleets that were out there. The overlord has occupied all the other planets and there aren't even anymore mining or research stations.
    Any advice?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    So, I'm at war with a faction my overlord is at war with. I'm at 21 percent of the the war thing and there aren't anymore targets. I have one planet occupied and have defeated any fleets that were out there. The overlord has occupied all the other planets and there aren't even anymore mining or research stations.
    Any advice?

Wait.

Warscore for occupation ticks up over time.

• Options
    Does he have any allies on the other side of the galaxy? Go beat them up too.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I wonder how they'll be treated in combat. Will they be captured via boarding them with ground troops, or will they be destroyed outright like star bases?

Planetside assets are more insulated from war, and occupied worlds will be returned to you mostly intact if you win the campaign. But orbital assets caught in the crossfire are destroyed outright and are costly to replace.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I feel like this is how it happened to me--I got the event moments after I researched a tech that rose the leader cap.

I kind of don't like the existing leader system--tying into the aspects of the influence system I don't like either. I understand the gameplay reason for it, but I having an entire cabinet, multiple generals and admirals, and an army of governors would go a long way to making a space empire feel more substantial...

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I wonder how they'll be treated in combat. Will they be captured via boarding them with ground troops, or will they be destroyed outright like star bases?

Planetside assets are more insulated from war, and occupied worlds will be returned to you mostly intact if you win the campaign. But orbital assets caught in the crossfire are destroyed outright and are costly to replace.

Doesn't appear to have a military power, and bears the icon of a colony.

• Options
    PS I just bought this last week and it's fun.

The whole siloing of the warp technologies makes for some fun dynamics that actually persist; where most games would allow you (force you?) to tech out of that imbalance.

Question! Is there a way to manipulate the relationships of other races? I'd really like to drive a political wedge between my eastern (E) and western (W) neighbors. Presently, W (a massive prick of equal strength) is gobbling up vassals and needs to be stopped, but E is a fucking beast and has a defensive pact with W.

My previous gambit of making pacts with W's rivals nearly paid off, but the coward sued for peace after I liberated his homeworld (and cost me all the planets I took from W).

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

The whole siloing of the warp technologies makes for some fun dynamics that actually persist; where most games would allow you (force you?) to tech out of that imbalance.

Question! Is there a way to manipulate the relationships of other races? I'd really like to drive a political wedge between my eastern (E) and western (W) neighbors. Presently, W (a massive prick of equal strength) is gobbling up vassals and needs to be stopped, but E is a fucking beast and has a defensive pact with W.

My previous gambit of making pacts with W's rivals nearly paid off, but the coward sued for peace after I liberated his homeworld (and cost me all the planets I took from W).

In my current (still unfinished) game I had an issue where there were a bunch of species that were relatively pacific, builders and democratic (I'm using vanilla democratic humans) banding together in a Federation that got really big. The problem was that they didn't really want anything to do with me joining them (though they allowed me as a "friend" or however they call that status) because of my... loose war policy.

I ended up making a vassal out of a new civilization (giving them crazy amounts of money), then declared war on a close small/mid-sized civilization and gave away those planets to my vassal. Eventually they've grown big enough in size and power while still being loyal and I'm currently doing that process again with another vassal. I'm basically creating my own federation from scratch and seeing those "make peace not war" sissies just stand by and watch as I grow more and more powerful.

We'll see how it plays out further down the line, but for now everything seems to be going OK while I terraform and populate planets I couldn't before, increasing my research output even more.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Didn't Martin say he wasn't a fan of how armies work in game? Would be suprised to see them go or redesigned.

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

In my current (still unfinished) game I had an issue where there were a bunch of species that were relatively pacific, builders and democratic (I'm using vanilla democratic humans) banding together in a Federation that got really big. The problem was that they didn't really want anything to do with me joining them (though they allowed me as a "friend" or however they call that status) because of my... loose war policy.

I ended up making a vassal out of a new civilization (giving them crazy amounts of money), then declared war on a close small/mid-sized civilization and gave away those planets to my vassal. Eventually they've grown big enough in size and power while still being loyal and I'm currently doing that process again with another vassal. I'm basically creating my own federation from scratch and seeing those "make peace not war" sissies just stand by and watch as I grow more and more powerful.

We'll see how it plays out further down the line, but for now everything seems to be going OK while I terraform and populate planets I couldn't before, increasing my research output even more.

I'm ahead on research, and should be widening that gap, but I hit an influence wall early on in my expansion while he made rivals of half a galaxy with noninterest in fighting him. Hopefully my new eastern research sector (on the edge, leapfrogging past 'E') will maintain my supremacy.

He took a planet I wanted 150 years ago... maybe I should let it go...

No.

They should let it go. Our God-Empress will not be made an Elsa by some arthropod heathens.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Federations get kinda boring. I want to them to go all Cold War against other Federations and intervene in smaller wars but them never do. I've seen Associated Species get attacked with zero federation response all to often.

• Options

Didn't Martin say he wasn't a fan of how armies work in game? Would be suprised to see them go or redesigned.

I would like to see armies redesigned. That and orbital bombardment. I think it's really silly that a lone ship defeating a planet's defenses over years will cause far more destruction than a doom stack several times its size smashing everything to pieces in a day or two.

But my main concern is how risky of an investment orbital settlements are. Colonies are expensive and it takes time for them to first pay off the initial expense and then become lucrative. Planetside colonies can get messed up, but it's easier to pick up the pieces of a war-torn colony than to start fresh on a new planet. If orbital settlements can be destroyed outright, setting them up in the first place can be a very high risk investment.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

I would like to see armies redesigned. That and orbital bombardment. I think it's really silly that a lone ship defeating a planet's defenses over years will cause far more destruction than a doom stack several times its size smashing everything to pieces in a day or two.

But my main concern is how risky of an investment orbital settlements are. Colonies are expensive and it takes time for them to first pay off the initial expense and then become lucrative. Planetside colonies can get messed up, but it's easier to pick up the pieces of a war-torn colony than to start fresh on a new planet. If orbital settlements can be destroyed outright, setting them up in the first place can be a very high risk investment.

I like the idea of the risk involved in it. Besides, it seems like it will essentially give you extra manpower/economy within your region of control. Have to protect your assets man.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    At the very least they should remove the army attachment techs and the differentiation between defensive/offensive armies. The first is hidden in a sub-submenu and I bet goes unused by 99% of the playerbase, and I couldn't even tell you a use case for defensive armies.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I started a new game and discovered a pirate base with ~18k worth of firepower next door to my homeworld. Also, just a little further yonder, what appears to be an advanced start empire.

I haven't finished researching my first tech yet. Should be fun.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Defensive armies have much less power upkeep than offensive armies. Idea is to build up at risk worlds defense without it costing alot of power

• Options
    I suppose if your people are stronk enough, a large enough defensive force might be able to prevent some invasions. It just seems like a waste since usually it's game over once a fleet settles into bombardment position.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I remain distressed at the lack of virus and goo bombs available for my diplomats to deploy during negotiations.

The xenomorphs at least sound like a good idea, but they're not chryssalids, are they? Could do with some reworking, too. Drop a few ten thousand eggs on a planet and watch the galactic senate immolate itself in a righteous frenzy of economic sanctions and strongly worded letters.

And speaking of galactic senates- I am also distressed at how few opportunities I have to gloat over my latest superweapons. Honestly, what's the point of glassing a planet if you can't offer some of your own footage when they threaten to go public with vids of your latest atrocity?

Fneh.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

From the ss, though, it looks like they're just colonies that look like a space station. If they had defenses, they'd have a combat value, and if they're space stations, they would have defenses. As you said, the alternative would be horrific.

I'm interested to see if they can be relatively inexpensively amd quickly terraformed.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I started a new game and discovered a pirate base with ~18k worth of firepower next door to my homeworld. Also, just a little further yonder, what appears to be an advanced start empire.

I haven't finished researching my first tech yet. Should be fun.

That is exactly how my first and current game started.

The first guy who attacked me ran his silly non-worm hole fleet into the pirates. Thanks pirates!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
  • Options
    I think that has a lot of promise for buffing terraforming tech, which has previously always been in the shadow of gene modding and multi-species empires. Still a late game investment for sure, but it allows tapping into worlds that gene modding can't.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think one of the cooler benefits to the orbitals is the way in which it will interact with core systems.

The change from core planets to core systems was a good one, but there were still a lot of times where you needed to hold on to an otherwise pretty piss-poor system as a core, even though it had, like, one marginally habitable planet within it.

If you can spend resources to improve the system, rather than just the planet, then it makes that bite a little less.

• Options
    It also opens the door to more defensible systems. The most heavy static defenses that I've been able to establish have been a star fortress trapping invaders within the guns of overlapping starbases. With terraforming candidates, the odds improve that I'll be able to find a system that I can cultivate into such a strong hold. If orbital settlements can support starbases, then it becomes easier still to concentrate multiple starbases within a key system.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I think one of the cooler benefits to the orbitals is the way in which it will interact with core systems.

The change from core planets to core systems was a good one, but there were still a lot of times where you needed to hold on to an otherwise pretty piss-poor system as a core, even though it had, like, one marginally habitable planet within it.

If you can spend resources to improve the system, rather than just the planet, then it makes that bite a little less.

Thematically, shipping entire planets worth of resources to the imperial seat to build luxury space condos, is also pretty great.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Has Paradox ever released a game without ridiculously complicated military mechanics?