As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I ended up getting the megapack. 23 dollars is pretty cheap for all that content, and I definitely am one of the sporadic players.

Is there any specific time to go through the content? My character I am actually playing is level 20 now, I just went through Glenumbra and about half of Auridion, but I was thinking of taking a break and doing the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood as they really fit my character. I have heard good things about Orsinium too, but I eventually do want to get back on the main Covenant storyline.

I love the zones in this game so much. Been playing a month or so and enjoying it greatly. My only real previous experience was going through the first 2 Ebonheart zones a couple of years ago, and the changes since then certainly make everything seem a ton better.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I ended up getting the megapack. 23 dollars is pretty cheap for all that content, and I definitely am one of the sporadic players.

Is there any specific time to go through the content? My character I am actually playing is level 20 now, I just went through Glenumbra and about half of Auridion, but I was thinking of taking a break and doing the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood as they really fit my character. I have heard good things about Orsinium too, but I eventually do want to get back on the main Covenant storyline.

I love the zones in this game so much. Been playing a month or so and enjoying it greatly. My only real previous experience was going through the first 2 Ebonheart zones a couple of years ago, and the changes since then certainly make everything seem a ton better.

There's no specific time for any of the content per se but a few things to consider.

Both TG and DB have story missions that unlock as your reputation/guild skill line increase. While completing the story missions reward hefty amounts of progress, the rest will have to come from dailies so the earlier you start those the more chances to do those dailies you'll have.

If you like collecting crafting motifs, the dailies for both guilds which unlock as you reach a certain point are the only normal source of some specific styles. Plus some other dailies in the DB and Orsinium areas can drop other zone specific motifs chapters.

The DB 7 skill is one of the most useful for getting around since it dramatically reduces your aggro range while mounted so it's really handy to get that one early.

Bounties increase in cost as your level increases so bungling a DB or TG mission at lower level is cheaper than doing so at high level.

None of the gear you'll get from the DB area is considered end game viable stuff so there's no concern about saving it, not that you wouldn't get a healthy amount of it from dailies at max gear level anyway. One of the TG zone sets is a good once for saptanks (Baraha's Curse), but the others are strictly awful. Though again, you'll see plenty of it from the dailies and such.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Ah so bugging out to do TG+DB would actually probably be better then? I may do TG now and DB after finishing up Auridion then.

• Options
    Ah so bugging out to do TG+DB would actually probably be better then? I may do TG now and DB after finishing up Auridion then.

I suggest at least doing the initiation to the DB as the ability can be handy on some TG story missions.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Man you can level ridiculously fast with all these double xp events going on.

I started a new character on March 31, did some dolmen grinding to level 20ish, and now just doing a few quests and dailies for anniversary crates he's nearly max level. I think around 45.

My first character took a long time even though it was also during xp events (halloween and christmas). I was doing more general story questing at the time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    /flips a table

Fuck it I'm getting the expansion megapack. I don't want to wait for another sale, and it's a good sale. And I think the first thing I'm going to do is take my stealth-optimized NB and start IMMEDIATELY on the TG and DB quests.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Picked this up on sale and it just isnt getting its hooks into me. :(

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Picked this up on sale and it just isnt getting its hooks into me. :(

It's different. IMO, it's best to not play as just another MMO and poke around the game world itself to see what it does well. That often means a lot of burglary and maybe some skyshard hunting. It's really the game world and its level of interaction compared to other MMOs that make it stand out so that's the litmus test on whether it will click early or not.

Also, check out some of the houses if you can. That's been another big thing since it was introduced.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, it's definely an exploration game more than a mmo, a lot of the fun is popping into a random delve or something rather than straight up following the story (although within a zone the stories are pretty fun to play start to finish.) I would think of it more as an elder scrolls game with mmo elements than an mmo with elder scrolls elements.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's definely an exploration game more than a mmo, a lot of the fun is popping into a random delve or something rather than straight up following the story (although within a zone the stories are pretty fun to play start to finish.) I would think of it more as an elder scrolls game with mmo elements than an mmo with elder scrolls elements.

Most of the group dungeon content is pretty well done to with more interesting mechanics than most MMO fights mind albeit with some freshmen MMO design missteps (far more fights are a lot tougher on melee dps than ranged dps) but it's certainly more conducive to poking around than other MMOs.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yea maybe its the free form nature that is throwing me for a loop, i'll explore for awhile.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Which should I level first, Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood? I am generally more of a "Steal everything that isn't nailed down" type, but both skill lines seem to have a lot of synergy with each other.

• Options
    Which should I level first, Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood? I am generally more of a "Steal everything that isn't nailed down" type, but both skill lines seem to have a lot of synergy with each other.

The only really worthwhile DB skills are the one at 7 that reduces mounted aggro radius and maybe the shadowy supplier as asking for equipment very, very rarely gives you a decorating item. But that reduction in mounted aggro is huge.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So downloading this now, and seeing the gold package is on sale. Is there a subscription? Im seeing something about a membership. Do I need that?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @enc There's an optional subscription that gives you 1500 crowns each month, a crafting materials bag (game changer), XP and gold bonus, and access to all DLC while you have the Subscription.

When the subscription lapses, you lose access to the areas, but not to things you earned from completing it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Does the gold package allow me to play as an imperial?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Enc wrote: »
    Does the gold package allow me to play as an imperial?

Looks like the Gold Edition is the four DLC packs and a Horse, so no, you'd still have to get the Imperial access separate, but Crowns are currently on sale

Edit: looks like it's 2100 Crowns for the Imperial Pack, so the 3000 Crown pack for 16 bucks would.cover that

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Man, their official website is kinda garbage for details.

How much is the subscription and how much is the imperial upgrade? They don't list the prices publicly. >:(

• Options
    @enc Yeah, it doesn't help that some things are in the Crown Store and some thing are in the Store Store.

The subscription follows the usual pattern of 15 for a month, 41 for 3 months, and 77 for 6 months.

You get all the crowns (1500 per month) and time added upfront (also pay upfront)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Ok, so what it seems to be is that the best bang for your buck is to get the Tamriel Edition with the sub, then buy an extra 1k crowns to upgrade to imperial edition. With the current sale that would be ~23 bucks rather than the 30 for the gold package dlc.

Long term that doesnt work out as well, but given the essential nature of the sub I dont see a perk of getting gold since most players would just keep it. Does that seem right @DaMoonRulz ?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @Enc So Tamriel edition (10)+1month sub(15)+750crowns(6) would be enough to get the Imperial Pack.

As far as if it's worth it, that's hard to say on a person to person basis. If you don't mind paying a monthly fee, then I'd say yes it's worth it. The Imperial Pack also comes with a Horse and another perk of the Pack is access to buying Imperial style houses.

If you'd rather not pay a monthly fee, you can use the first month of the game to go straight to the DLC zones and experience them before your sub runs out and whatever you earned from them you keep (you'll unlock costumes, non combat pets, idle animations). After the month you could let the subscription expired, and if you're 'done' with the zones then you got your money's worth.

Edit: Personally speaking, I prefer to be able to pick up and out down the game as I like so I just prefer to own the DLC. HOWEVER, even if you don't play it for a couple months and keep the subscription going, you'd still be accruing Crowns that you could spend when you did get back in

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Or you could do Tamriel Edition(10)+3000 Crown pack(16) and that'd let you get the Imperial Pack right away + a little costume money, and it would let you experience just the base game to let you feel it out.

I think that going from having played it Vanilla first before going to the Subscription if that's something your interested in is better. Puts you in the mindset of "look at all this stuff I'm getting" instead of going from Sub to Non-sub which is "But look at all the stuff I'm losing"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @enc Make any decisions?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So I have been jumping into crafting a bit, and wanted to make sure I have this right:

It seems like appearance is determined by motif, with some lower level items having a simplified appearance, color is material but you can change colors using dyes you earn from various tasks?

Also I seem to have learned some furniture patterns for trade skill I have no real intention of using, wish I had realized to save them for another character.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @enc Make any decisions?

Yup, I went ahead and did the basic edition then membership and a bonus 3k points because why not. Exploring Pirate Town on an Imperial named Gaius Encartrus on North American Server

• Options
    @enc Nice. If you get something like a costume from the Crown Store, it's an account-wide unlock. If you buy a Costume Dye pack, that's a single thing you purchase that goes into your inventory and you have to choose to use.

I accidentally bought a couple dyes once because I thought it was supposed to change the costume immediately.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So, new folks, first impressions? Thoughts? Questions?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Meeeh, the freedom is nice but I dont think I am going to keep playing. I think my real problem is I dont really care about the Elder Scrolls world. Dagger, Oblivion and Skyrim were the only ones I really played, the former two I didnt spend much time on at all. Skyrim I played too much and ended up getting waylaid on sidequests etc, same thing happened in Fallout 4 (except it was settlement building that I got sunk into)

I think I am also really disappointed with bows in this, having loved bows in Skyrim. Here they just don't feel the same at all, and that made me sad.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    @darkmayo Have you earned your first Broom closet Apartment in game, yet?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

haven't even bothered I saw where I can get it but was meh.. and ended up playing other games the rest of the weekend.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Pretty new to this. I like it enough to play through this and the upcoming expansion.

Myself and a few friends have put together a little guild and it turns out that many of us are PA forums folk. The majority of our mains are in the Ebonheart Pact but we have one or two in the other factions. I have not looked lately but we might be around 20 folks?

If anyone is interested, the guild is Obscene Alchemy on the NA servers.

My account name is Fonjo. Character name is Noxy.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Someone needs to make a guild called "Deviated Septim".

• Options

haven't even bothered I saw where I can get it but was meh.. and ended up playing other games the rest of the weekend.

If you come back, I will say that the broom closet is worth it if only for a free teleport to a city near a wayshrine. Though the Ebonheart Pact one sucks because there's no bank in that city and I still don't know why that's the case :| (I have wondered this since launch)

• Options
    Still exploring Pirate Island (Elos Kai? the Redguard starting zone).

I like the game a lot, but starting zone has felt pretty crowded. I had to compete a lot just to find mobs to kill on the first few areas. That's gotten better today now that free weekend is over.

Mechanically I am enjoying the game, though I'm still debating just how I want to play my imperial.

• Options

Meeeh, the freedom is nice but I dont think I am going to keep playing. I think my real problem is I dont really care about the Elder Scrolls world. Dagger, Oblivion and Skyrim were the only ones I really played, the former two I didnt spend much time on at all. Skyrim I played too much and ended up getting waylaid on sidequests etc, same thing happened in Fallout 4 (except it was settlement building that I got sunk into)

I think I am also really disappointed with bows in this, having loved bows in Skyrim. Here they just don't feel the same at all, and that made me sad.

Bows are a bit different in that they're more of a supporting weapon. A lot of DoT effects attached to them, somewhat like a GW2 ranger's shortbow. But since DoTs don't stack here, it's more a support (albeit an important one) for melee weapons.
    Enc wrote: »
    Still exploring Pirate Island (Elos Kai? the Redguard starting zone).

I like the game a lot, but starting zone has felt pretty crowded. I had to compete a lot just to find mobs to kill on the first few areas. That's gotten better today now that free weekend is over.

Mechanically I am enjoying the game, though I'm still debating just how I want to play my imperial.

Usually the player base is more spread out since you get scaled up to a survivable point versus mobs and can just go anywhere so people making alts often aren't hanging around the starting areas. Occasionally a special event will make players all hang out in a zone for the same mobs or fishing holes and be a pain but thankfully the game seems to have moved away from that model for its holiday events.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Seems the free week drew in a lot of people to the starting areas.

• Options
    Eh, I dont know that bows have to be support, you can do pretty well with dotting venom arrow, then weaving light attacks and snipe together. Magnum shot can be spammed to keep back melee, and you can open with a heavy from stealth just like skyrim.

It may not top meters but it is plenty fun and doable.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

The only really worthwhile DB skills are the one at 7 that reduces mounted aggro radius and maybe the shadowy supplier as asking for equipment very, very rarely gives you a decorating item. But that reduction in mounted aggro is huge.

Late advice, but I will say IMO Thieves' Guild is more fun and interesting with better writing and characters. So you may want to do it first for cool stuff now, or save the best for last.

But dive into the first quest of Dark Brotherhood, because that gets you the Blade of Woe immediately, in like 10 minutes, which you then have permanently unlocked to kill any NPC anywhere you go. Useful for pickpocketing twice and then killing them for their last item - if you kill them early they still only drop one item, and this saves you from having to try the last low chance pickpocket. Also the NPC respawns faster than just their pockets would if you left them alive.

Thieves' Guild has more useful skills, other than DB's mounted aggro one mentioned which is a game changer. I disagree that the shadowy supplier's furnishing decorations are super rare, I got two on consecutive days and another one not too far removed from the others.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Late advice, but I will say IMO Thieves' Guild is more fun and interesting with better writing and characters. So you may want to do it first for cool stuff now, or save the best for last.

But dive into the first quest of Dark Brotherhood, because that gets you the Blade of Woe immediately, in like 10 minutes, which you then have permanently unlocked to kill any NPC anywhere you go. Useful for pickpocketing twice and then killing them for their last item - if you kill them early they still only drop one item, and this saves you from having to try the last low chance pickpocket. Also the NPC respawns faster than just their pockets would if you left them alive.

Thieves' Guild has more useful skills, other than DB's mounted aggro one mentioned which is a game changer. I disagree that the shadowy supplier's furnishing decorations are super rare, I got two on consecutive days and another one not too far removed from the others.

I did get the Blade at least, but now that I'm further in on things... the Thieves Guild writing is actually phenomenal. I've been up till 1 am two nights in a row because I genuinely care about the characters, and the first of Velsa's two personal quests ("A Faded Flower") made me tear up just a little bit. This is the first time in the series that I've *really* cared about characters, and not in a way that felt ham-fisted or forced (cough, Razum-Dar's penultimate quest in Reaper's March, cough :| ).

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Yeah, TG has some of the best content in the whole game. I love it so much!

And as always, side quests are the best. I liked all of those "ally questlines".