As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post US Presidential Election 2016 Thread

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Like, people want to find something they can grab onto and go "If this one thing had gone differently, we might have won" so they have something specific to blame.

But the reality of the situation is that the only way this was different was if fewer people voted for Trump.

Or if more people turned out to vote

this year had six million fewer folks turn out than 2012

it was a failure of organization on the part of the democratic party and a success of obstruction for the GOP

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I seriously considered taking a mental health day today

It probably wouldn't have helped, because ruminating on these things does nothing, but... fuck

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    It's important that the democrats don't just roll over, but give the republicans just as hard a time as the republicans would have done in the opposite scenario

I think it's important that they don't roll over, but I didn't spend the last 8 years hating the GOP for being obstructive shitheads who refuse to do their jobs to turn round and say "it's ok when my guys do it". I want us to fight this the right way, at the ballot box.

I'm almost certainly being an idealist.

I don't understand this position

if the democrats have tools to stop the GOP from eliminating the EPA, outlawing abortion, and making all prisons for-profit, they should use them

If the dems have an honest disagreement with legislation they should fight it. That isn't what Republicans did. They caught everything. I'll be happy as long as when a necessary or good bill is proposed they take it.

I agree

I just also think that there isn't going to be any good republican legislation

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I think we need to get to work re-thinking progressive policy.

not to throw out ideals, but to re-learn them. to remember how to understand them outside of the lens of conservative bullshit that has been pulled over everyone's eyes. to relearn how to engage with people who are not already in progressive wheelhouse.

to dig through the decades of propaganda that "conservative" news has been spewing into our collective consiousness. to figure out a way to stop that propaganda machine, whether that's through cutting off it's funding or something else.

Rush, Alex Jones, Michael Savage, etc...All of them have just been legitimized. They are not going anywhere, and they just gained themselves even more power.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today was the senior class picture at school. I went up onto the roof with the journalism teacher and custodian and the kids all formed a big 17 down below. They took a couple normal photos then the journalism teacher said they would take a "funny"one.

She counts down from three and then without any prompting the entire class of 2017 shouted "FUCK TRUMP"

Brightened my day a bit.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Like, people want to find something they can grab onto and go "If this one thing had gone differently, we might have won" so they have something specific to blame.

But the reality of the situation is that the only way this was different was if fewer people voted for Trump.

it was a failure of organization on the part of the democratic party and a success of obstruction for the GOP

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Good grief I knew voter turnout was low but I hadn't realised how low.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i kinda had to vent a bit, it's long and personal you dont have to read it, just needed to get something out
    so, i work swing shift, meaning i start at 6 in the evening and get off at 3 in the morning. this is in LA, by the way, so by the time i got into work yesterday was right around the time things really started looking grim for Hillary. i tried to stay optimistic through the night, but as the hours passed it faded. for hours, my stomach was churning with anxiety, stress, and shock over what was occurring, like my mind literally couldn't deal with it and my body was rejecting the notion

a few weeks back i lost a good friend to a horrific act of misogynistic violence. it was an event that shook my circle of friends to our core, the kind of thing you'd see in an episode of Law & Order but never expect to have to deal with in real life. we've done what we can to be there for each other and her family, even starting a gofundme page in her name, the full proceeds from which we're donating to the domestic violence program at the local YWCA. we still lost a friend, and things won't ever be the same, but the healing had begun

but last night, seeing that so many people in this country not only excused the sexism that Trump has espoused during his campaign, they fucking condoned it? i literally couldn't stomach it anymore. i went to the bathroom and actually retched, just dry heaved for a minute or two before i regained myself, but that feeling of just so fucking helpless and unable to help my friend when she needed it most, the hours i'd spent thinking of how terrifying her final moments must have been and the things me or any of our friends could have done to prevent it, it all came rushing back in this moment, reading about Hillary conceding and Trump giving a victory speech... i just had trouble reconciling that this country is really that backwards

when my shift finally ended i got home and made the mistake of checking facebook, the first few posts i saw happened to be from racist cousins who i haven't seen since my mother's funeral, some even longer, celebrating and gloating about Trump's win. i got so fucking angry i wanted to throw my laptop through the wall. i've been sitting here for hours, trying to lose myself in music or writing just to escape this reality, but i keep coming back to the fact that so many of my friends are POC or queer, and even most of my white friends happen to be women, and the idea that so many people in this country just used their vote to tell those kinds of people that they don't view them as equal, it's not something i've yet been able to come to grips with

apologies for the long rant, kinda just typed everything as in a train of thought way so if none of it makes sense, sorry. now i have to try to sleep and start my day tomorrow by doing what i can to help for anyone who needs it

For what its worth, I read it, and it really moved me.

You're not alone and I'm so sorry.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

How do they fix that for 2020?

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Third parties largely didn't spoil any states in this election, unless you assume that literally every vote that went to Johnson would have swung to Clinton.

I know it's incredibly appealing to look for people to blame in this situation, but this all falls on the people who voted for Trump.

And fuck if I know what to do about them.

This is 100 percent true, and I really have to keep repeating this to myself.

I have friends who were Stein supporters, who spent literally the entire election doing nothing but shitting on Clinton.

And today all of them have turned around and are all like "We need to stop Trump!"

And I'm really trying to restrain myself from just blowing up on them with something along the lines of "WELCOME TO THE FUCKING PARTY, PAL!"

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

Fuck

Well looking on the bright get side, at least this shoots a hole in the 'victory of hate' narrative

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I think we need to get to work re-thinking progressive policy.

not to throw out ideals, but to re-learn them. to remember how to understand them outside of the lens of conservative bullshit that has been pulled over everyone's eyes. to relearn how to engage with people who are not already in progressive wheelhouse.

to dig through the decades of propaganda that "conservative" news has been spewing into our collective consiousness. to figure out a way to stop that propaganda machine, whether that's through cutting off it's funding or something else.

Rush, Alex Jones, Michael Savage, etc...All of them have just been legitimized. They are not going anywhere, and they just gained themselves even more power.

yeah, that's kind of the problem though

we really, really do need to address the transmission of far right ideology into the mainstream

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm legitimately so tired right now that I just read far right as fart

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

I'd say 4 years of trump should do it, but 2004 shoots that right down.

Probably finding a perfect candidate would help, but Biden would be far too old by then.

No I don't.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

they can't. those are "normal" numbers. She got more votes than Clinton and Gore, same as Kerry. That's normal Democratic turnout.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

get a fucking candidate that musters more than a "eh i guess they'll do" from the electorate

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Where'd Cory Booker go

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

for my money?

progressives need to learn how to engage with people emotionally.

Label on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

No, no you read that right.

• Options

dude I know

I managed to go to the wrong city for work today

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Get people to vote in 2018.
    Don't do any of the bullshit they pulled during the primaries.
    Don't turn a blind eye to her faults because "it's time".
    Identify Democrats as something more than "not Republican".

Demolish the antiquated, self-perpetuating-cycle-of-shit electoral system for something that is objectively better in every measurable way, by adding actual, visible value to a person's vote.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    you can't spell far right without fart guys

writing a letter to the daily show

put me in coach, I'm ready

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular

Somehow find a candidate that can keep from being attacked constantly from both the right and the left?

Attacks from the right are one thing and can easily be discounted as partisanship, but with the amount of shit Hillary got from the left I wouldn't be surprised it that had a significant impact on turnout.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Don't let graphics like that go. Make it as clear as possible that low Democratic turnout is how you get people like Trump. Redouble efforts in states that were expected to be part of Hillary's wall but swung for Trump.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So Trump got less votes than the last 2 losing Republicans...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

It is also a failure of the media and their constant equating of the respective "scandals" as if they were of equal footing in any way

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

fix the DNC from the ground up, court the disenfranchised, reach out to lower-middle class voters

• Options
    Melania Trump looks horrified in all the footage I've seen. There's this ghastly smile and eyes screaming "I can't believe you elected this fucking maniac"

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    you can't spell far right without fart guys

writing a letter to the daily show

put me in coach, I'm ready

okay now hear me out: breitfart

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Let's not assume everyone that didn't vote could actually vote. A core GOP tactic has been to depress certain demographics through voter suppression

That's fair

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Where'd Cory Booker go

he's a senator. but he's not very popular within the inner chambers of the party from what I understand, mostly because he's pretty firmly a fiscal centrist

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Okay, so, real talk...what the fuck happened? All the way up to last night it was "record early voting" and "Clinton has a strong ground game" and "massive GOTV initiatives" and then...lowest turnout since 2000?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

I'm presuming that Trump does not help alleviate the economic woes of the rust belt within the next four years. So, put forward a plan that stimulates that part of the country and get people mobilized.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, so, real talk...what the fuck happened? All the way up to last night it was "record early voting" and "Clinton has a strong ground game" and "massive GOTV initiatives" and then...lowest turnout since 2000?

We were doing a touchdown dance at the thirty yard line

did I deploy that metaphor correctly

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

fix the DNC from the ground up, court the disenfranchised, reach out to lower-middle class voters

The absolute first step is to gut the DNC and start over completely. Get young people in there to run it, with some veterans for teaching (I would love it if Obama ran the DNC after leaving the WH)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

those early voters were probably jazzed about Trump

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    for my money?

progressives need to learn how to engage with people emotionally.

The dems need to connect with the people of rural America, the ones who feel like immigrants are taking their jobs, and the government is taxing them into nothingness. Regardless if it's true, painting the entirety of the deep south as racist did not help her campaign at all.

They also need to connect with their own constituents. That means not doing the whole "vote for Hillary or else" type thing (even though really, what the fuck guys, why did you not vote??). Maybe listen to the people to why they didn't vote, and address issues where people feel disenfranchised with "business as usual" style politics... and probably address issues with primaries too.

I'm worried. I'm scared. But really, we're all in this together. Bad policies will hurt literally everyone in America except those that can afford to buy out of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Yeah I really don't want to start calling wolf but it's really weird.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Also, yank white progressives out of their silos and down from their high horses.

I know that seems a bit harsh and unfair given how many people in this very forum turned out to vote, but this forum isn't reflective of the broader demographic (obviously) and that might actually be part of the problem.

The silos blocked folks from seeing how bad things really were, and the high horse wasn't actually very high at all.

Vivixenne on
This discussion has been closed.