As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post US Presidential Election 2016 Thread

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    Facebook is kind of a shitty organization.

I think it's an extremely difficult position for a content aggregator to be in

sure you can say that falsely attributed quotes are clearly false but for most content it's a lot more complicated than that

A perfect example is the whole 'leninist' quote going around about Bannon-

it happened in an off the record conversation and Bannon denies it - should Facebook ban any references to this story that don't include that little piece of information and just flat out claim that Bannon said it?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Maybe he means Barron

I mean he's gonna be helping Dad with the cyber anyway so

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Gwen Ifill passed away today, after battling endometrial cancer at 61.
    I have watched the News Hour and PBS since I was a child, and she has been a hero for me.
    A voice in a dwindling chorus I could go to drown out bullshit and heat.
    Rest in peace, Gwen, & thank you for your service.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've definitely been listening to a ton of the Mountain Goats, lately. They're definitely the band that...most accurately matches where my mood's been since the election, or at least the band who most matches the mood I've been in since the election that I have readily available because I made a playlist for when I went to see them in concert

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

sure you can say that falsely attributed quotes are clearly false but for most content it's a lot more complicated than that

it happened in an off the record conversation and Bannon denies it - should Facebook ban any references to this story that don't include that little piece of information and just flat out claim that Bannon said it?

A good chunk of the problem isn't sites like that as much as sites whose MO is entirely, explicitly, about knowingly fabricating fake stories, usually admitted by some disclaimer text buried at the bottom of the page that you need to highlight to see.

I mean, you can't catch all of it, but the "satire" sites that are entirely about simply lying without any attempt at satire are pretty identifiable. Ditto the ones that don't use that defense, but which like doing things like copying an actual news site's layout and presenting articles coming from www.[normal news site url].com.co or something like that. There are really unambiguous things that should be taken care of, and even that will help some.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I just wanna say, this is not the end of the story. This is at worst Revenge of the Sith (end of a story, not the story), but more this is Empire. This is just one chapter of one part of the whole story.

Don't give up. I changed my mind, the wife and I are gonna double down, work hard, and raise a little progressive of our own, because the future of this country depends on it.

Soooo, you're saying we have to look forward 20 years of historical revisionism and then 30 years later we'll get a the progressive sequel we've been waiting for.

The new star wars movie comes out in 4 weeks. Be the rebels you always wanted to be and get good shit done for the future of mankind :snap:

Maybe we can use this whole fucking shit show.. maybe we can be the anvil and forge a better future.

Or it all gets even worse, but fuck, what have we got to lose.

Fascism is spreading over the globe like a disease. It needs an antidote, strong and fast.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

apparently she's not included

he really doesn't seem to care for her!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    #JusticeForTiffany

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    so Trump wants his family to be like the Clintons/Bushs

that's uhh yeah

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    14 different schools in the Puget sound region had walkouts today over the election. The future has hope.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

A good chunk of the problem isn't sites like that as much as sites whose MO is entirely, explicitly, about knowingly fabricating fake stories, usually admitted by some disclaimer text buried at the bottom of the page that you need to highlight to see.

I mean, you can't catch all of it, but the "satire" sites that are entirely about simply lying without any attempt at satire are pretty identifiable. Ditto the ones that don't use that defense, but which like doing things like copying an actual news site's layout and presenting articles coming from www.[normal news site url].com.co or something like that. There are really unambiguous things that should be taken care of, and even that will help some.

Good point. I agree that the worst offenders are easy enough to detect, but I'm just highlighting why Facebook would be reluctant to take on the role of policing fake content.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    facebook is in the pocket of big macedonia

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    fuck the police is actually a corruption of nwa's original far more submersive anti-illuminati message, "merfolk: the police"

Comin' straight out the Underdark.

august on
  • Options

Good point. I agree that the worst offenders are easy enough to detect, but I'm just highlighting why Facebook would be reluctant to take on the role of policing fake content.

I dunno. I'd say it would be more highlighting how Facebook would rationalize not wanting to take on the role.

Most sites already (well, in theory) police things like fraudulent ads. Given that it's their deals and algorithms pushing promoted posts and the people-also-read links, I see handling fake content sites - at least the ones where it's incredibly clear that convincing fakery is the intent, and there's a whole ecosystem of those - as something they need to step up about as well.

• Options
    edited November 2016

I dunno. I'd say it would be more highlighting how Facebook would rationalize not wanting to take on the role.

Most sites already (well, in theory) police things like fraudulent ads. Given that it's their deals and algorithms pushing promoted posts and the people-also-read links, I see handling fake content sites - at least the ones where it's incredibly clear that convincing fakery is the intent, and there's a whole ecosystem of those - as something they need to step up about as well.

Yeah okay I just googled some of these sites and you've convinced me. You're right. It would make facebook a better service for everyone if links to these were removed

I guess Facebook is just reluctant to because they don't want to push right wingnuts off their site

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Yeah okay I just googled some of these sites and you've convinced me. You're right. It would make facebook a better service for everyone if links to these were removed

I guess Facebook is just reluctant to because they don't to push right wingnuts off their site
    Also one of those wingnuts owns 10% of the company

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I guess Facebook is just reluctant to because they don't to push right wingnuts off their site

Considering a quarter of the world's population have accounts on the site I suspect losing a few hundred thousand won't kill them. Still, ugh.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So what would have happened when Sanders hit a real opponent, someone who did not care about alienating the young college voters in his base? I have seen the opposition book assembled by Republicans for Sanders, and it was brutal. The Republicans would have torn him apart. And while Sanders supporters might delude themselves into believing that they could have defended him against all of this, there is a name for politicians who play defense all the time: losers.

Here are a few tastes of what was in store for Sanders, straight out of the Republican playbook: He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

Then there’s the fact that Sanders was on unemployment until his mid-30s, and that he stole electricity from a neighbor after failing to pay his bills, and that he co-sponsored a bill to ship Vermont’s nuclear waste to a poor Hispanic community in Texas, where it could be dumped. You can just see the words “environmental racist” on Republican billboards. And if you can’t, I already did. They were in the Republican opposition research book as a proposal on how to frame the nuclear waste issue.

Also on the list: Sanders violated campaign finance laws, criticized Clinton for supporting the 1994 crime bill that he voted for, and he voted against the Amber Alert system. His pitch for universal health care would have been used against him too, since it was tried in his home state of Vermont and collapsed due to excessive costs. Worst of all, the Republicans also had video of Sanders at a 1985 rally thrown by the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua where half a million people chanted, “Here, there, everywhere/the Yankee will die,’’ while President Daniel Ortega condemned “state terrorism” by America. Sanders said, on camera, supporting the Sandinistas was “patriotic.”

The Republicans had at least four other damning Sanders videos (I don’t know what they showed), and the opposition research folder was almost 2-feet thick. (The section calling him a communist with connections to Castro alone would have cost him Florida.) In other words, the belief that Sanders would have walked into the White House based on polls taken before anyone really attacked him is a delusion built on a scaffolding of political ignorance.

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So what would have happened when Sanders hit a real opponent, someone who did not care about alienating the young college voters in his base? I have seen the opposition book assembled by Republicans for Sanders, and it was brutal. The Republicans would have torn him apart. And while Sanders supporters might delude themselves into believing that they could have defended him against all of this, there is a name for politicians who play defense all the time: losers.

Here are a few tastes of what was in store for Sanders, straight out of the Republican playbook: He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

Then there’s the fact that Sanders was on unemployment until his mid-30s, and that he stole electricity from a neighbor after failing to pay his bills, and that he co-sponsored a bill to ship Vermont’s nuclear waste to a poor Hispanic community in Texas, where it could be dumped. You can just see the words “environmental racist” on Republican billboards. And if you can’t, I already did. They were in the Republican opposition research book as a proposal on how to frame the nuclear waste issue.

Also on the list: Sanders violated campaign finance laws, criticized Clinton for supporting the 1994 crime bill that he voted for, and he voted against the Amber Alert system. His pitch for universal health care would have been used against him too, since it was tried in his home state of Vermont and collapsed due to excessive costs. Worst of all, the Republicans also had video of Sanders at a 1985 rally thrown by the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua where half a million people chanted, “Here, there, everywhere/the Yankee will die,’’ while President Daniel Ortega condemned “state terrorism” by America. Sanders said, on camera, supporting the Sandinistas was “patriotic.”

The Republicans had at least four other damning Sanders videos (I don’t know what they showed), and the opposition research folder was almost 2-feet thick. (The section calling him a communist with connections to Castro alone would have cost him Florida.) In other words, the belief that Sanders would have walked into the White House based on polls taken before anyone really attacked him is a delusion built on a scaffolding of political ignorance.

Republican strategists have been stockpiling for some time, haven't they?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I donated a while back; my Hillary 2016 sticker just today came in the mail.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

So much for not having baggage. Jesus that bill to ship nuclear waste from Vermont to Texas is pretty fucked.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I donated a while back; my Hillary 2016 sticker just today came in the mail.

Ouch.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Republican strategists have been stockpiling for some time, haven't they?

One of the many benefits of facing an opposition party whose entire bench consisted of Hillary Clinton, a Reagan Republican and an obscure socialist

Meanwhile it was impossible for the Democrats to anticipate or build up a convincing case against all 17 of the possible GOP candidates

edit: god that "perform sex with yourself" line is really fucking cringey and Eichenwald needs to stop using it

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Megyn Kelly dropping stories she sat on before the election.

She can fucking burn at this point.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

???

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

???

• Options
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

???

you know what would probably make a lot of money?

a business that just lets people come in and flip tables. flip tables all they want. charge like $50 an hour just to have a room to yourself filled with tables, where you can flip them to your heart's content.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

???

Good thing no one called out Hillary for getting one question and wearing an earpiece. I mean, that'd be downright hypocritical.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I don't think she ever really reconciled with the fact that she was campaigning against the wind in some ways

they must have underestimated the fact that she was one of the most unpopular Democratic nominees in decades

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    let's not pretend that story would have affected trump's numbers in any way

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As the Trump child who seems to be around him least, I'd put money on Tiffany being the only decent one of the lot

• Options

???
    Also:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/14/media/megyn-kelly-donald-trump-dr-phil/

I'm 100% sure she's had to deal with a WHOLE LOT OF SHIT working at FOX News. I'm not discounting the things she's no doubt been through, but she's in it for her pocket book at the end of the day, and she's a horrible person.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Yeah, that random statistic posted completely out of context sure has me convinced.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I think her campaign was really interesting to those of us that love political theater.

Like, her social team was brilliant. Fucking brilliant.

I don't think that resonates with most people.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I don't think that's a statement you can make about a race that was this close

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I don't think that's a statement you can make about a race that was this close

what indication is there that a single one of trump's supporters would care about him exploiting the system

that's a badge of honor for him

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.