As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexit, Pursued by a Blair

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    The EU itself is pretty incredulous about our government's approach to the negotiations, too:

Britain accused of trying to ‘move the goalposts and do away with the referee’ in Brexit negotiations
    {The EU claims are} breezily dismissed by British ministers, including the foreign secretary, with suggestions that the value of prosecco, BMW and cheese exports will guarantee the UK a good deal

The Guardian's snark is getting better by the day.

Gonna be a hell of a Wile E. Coyote moment when the UK is balls deep in the two year exit window and they finally realize that things just aren't going to go their way.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

UK counter-counterpoint: "That's just scaremongering from PROJECT FEAR!"

I like to think that this whole thing happened because project beer got out of hand.

This whole business is like Project Hold My Beer.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Best the UK can realistically hope for is a favoured country trade deal with associated tariffs. I guess the UK taxpayers will have to pick up the bill on all those promises.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The Guardian has a neat story infographic on what EU member countries want
    The British government’s key Brexit red lines – controlling EU immigration, ending the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, calling time on further big EU budget contributions – are by now well known, set out first in speeches by Theresa May and later confirmed in a government white paper.

But what of the EU’s red lines? Here we map the concerns, priorities and demands of each of the UK’s 27 negotiating partners. Some are shared, more or less, by all; others are strictly national. All will play a part in the deal Britain gets – because Brexit also means what the EU27 want it to mean.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The British government’s key Brexit red lines – controlling EU immigration, ending the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, calling time on further big EU budget contributions – are by now well known, set out first in speeches by Theresa May and later confirmed in a government white paper.

But what of the EU’s red lines? Here we map the concerns, priorities and demands of each of the UK’s 27 negotiating partners. Some are shared, more or less, by all; others are strictly national. All will play a part in the deal Britain gets – because Brexit also means what the EU27 want it to mean.

already more work than anybody in the actual government has done

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Oh I'm sure the civil service has done all this work...and the dossiers are sitting in a lot of inboxes.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

Oh I'm sure the civil service has done all this work...and the dossiers are sitting in a lot of inboxes.

Yeah, there are briefing documents and memos with things like 'WE CANNOT POSSIBLY ACHIEVE ALL OF THESE GOALS' in red ink, and someone has just scribbled 'Jam! Prosecco!' underneath.
    In my imagination it's written in crayon, but that may be me being uncharitable.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's rather charming when you say y'all, Americans

Just so you know

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yesssssss! Get in there, Green Party!

Also, I vote we change the thread title to "Brexit, pursued by a Blair"

Unfortunately due to my accidental performance of naughty postings I shall not be able to update the thread name for another week. :(

Please remind me on the 28th of February and I'll definitely update it, because damn if I could find anything in that speech I disagreed with, especially the right wing cartel in the media.

We can always save it for the next thread. I know these threads are comparatively slow, but we're only 16 or so pages off a new one. Unless something even funnier that rhymes with bear happens in the meantime :P

That seems to confirm something I thought was probably going to be the case. If the EU want to isolate the UK from the single market for pulling back on the four freedoms, they're going to need to cut a good deal with us, because Ireland is economically realiant on the UK and even more vulnerable than it. And we know it.

On the plus side, it looks like Enda Kenny isn't budging an inch on the four freedoms. If/when he steps down I don't know if his successor would have the same attitude. My instincts say yes, but I can't be sure.

*edit* We should also probably discuss the fact that while Ireland is clearly the key to the UK getting any kind of decent deal with the EU, since we're the largest exporter to the UK and want to avoid a return to the hard border at almost any cost, Theresa May and the rest of the Tories have barely acknowledged that we exist.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think the extent of Theresa May's concerns barely reach Carlisle

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The EU itself is pretty incredulous about our government's approach to the negotiations, too:

Britain accused of trying to ‘move the goalposts and do away with the referee’ in Brexit negotiations
    {The EU claims are} breezily dismissed by British ministers, including the foreign secretary, with suggestions that the value of prosecco, BMW and cheese exports will guarantee the UK a good deal

Gonna be a hell of a Wile E. Coyote moment when the UK is balls deep in the two year exit window and they finally realize that things just aren't going to go their way.

If it's any consolation, half of us know that already. Sadly none of the government appear to do so.

• Options
    Speaking of the British Government, Liz Truss was on BBC speaking to Andrew Marr and said that invoking article 50 would be "irrevocable."

Downing Street, on the other hand, are oddly reluctant to confirm this.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's going to be insane and I can't believe we're so desperate to do it

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

I'm still grasping the tiny, glass-shard sliver of hope that is associate EU membership. I will *throw* money at the EU to keep my EU citizenship. I mean I don't have a lot of it, but what I have, I will throw.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

51.9% equals 100% apparently.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

51.9% equals 100% apparently.

BVS-Bruce-Wayne.jpeg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

That's not how you spell Birmingham.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

If it's any consolation, half of us know that already. Sadly none of the government appear to do so.

Bosh. Many, probably even most, of the government understand it perfectly well.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

That's not how you spell Birmingham.

No he meant the Carlisle Arms in Soho.

• Options
    Ohhhh
    fair enough.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

Didn't all the whips rebel too?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I don't think they ever will, or admit it.
    For the same reason that I doubt our idiot's base will ever abandon him: that would require (1) perceiving reality outside their bubble, and (2) admitting they made a mistake.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I think the telling quote in there is the one about it being a damage limitation exercise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the consensus position coalesces around "everybody's taking some kind of hit from this, we need to make sure the UK bears the brunt of it".

• Options
    japan wrote: »

I think the telling quote in there is the one about it being a damage limitation exercise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the consensus position coalesces around "everybody's taking some kind of hit from this, we need to make sure the UK bears the brunt of it".

...which, if they want a deal ratified, means being extra nice to Ireland.

I'm ok with this! :D

• Options

I think you are quite correct.
    And am genuinely sad it has come to this.
    I wonder if I can convince the company to open a branch office.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

Didn't all the whips rebel too?

who whips the whips (whips)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Or, more likely, "The UK is screwing all of us just to get off from having to deal with free movement of labor and refugees, so let's make them an example". Sad part is, trying to make "examples" out of countries (read: Greece) is a big part of why there's this mess. Also, that France quote is particulary spiteful, more emotional than the Germany one, Hollande seems scared shitless of Le Pen.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I'm not sure that you should be particularly psyched here. There's pretty much a guarantee that Brexit will end up breaking some portion of the Good Friday Accords, and needing to cut a good deal with Ireland could easily end up getting spun as the UK holding Ireland hostage, which would do wonders for the whole situation. I don't know exactly how much inertia has built up from being in a relative peaceful state, but Brexit probably isn't going to help things.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Looking at the metro this morning it seems like the propaganda push to destroy the house of Lords has begun.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Looking at the metro this morning it seems like the propaganda push to destroy the house of Lords has begun.

Less than a year ago they were heroes for bucking the democratic system to stop the government from reducing disability benefit. Now they are villains just because they might do something.

fickle does not even begin to cover it.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Judges, lords, the common man...

The state is beset at all times, from all sides. :evil:

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You see it's different because it's what I want to happen!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    They're seriously try to destroy the House of Lords over Brexit? I shouldn't be surprised, yet I am.

• Options

Less than a year ago they were heroes for bucking the democratic system to stop the government from reducing disability benefit. Now they are villains just because they might do something.

fickle does not even begin to cover it.

The media barons didn't care about disability benefits (and outrage sells papers), they do care about brexit and will villainise any opposition.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39031546

Good times ahead, friendos.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    that's one way to free up some NHS money, huh.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39031546

Good times ahead, friendos.

350 million a week.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Some of the cuts aren't as dire as they might appear, there are areas where expensive services are duplicated because centralising them plays out in the media as closures and that's electoral poison.

What is a bit of a worry is the dearth of planning in England for transferring workload into the social care system. Scotland's trying to implement that at the moment via the integration joint boards and it hasn't been simple. It should realise a lot of savings in the long run, but it isn't a quick win, and the situation in England with trusts is considerably more complex than that with regional NHS boards in Scotland.

• Options

I'm not sure that you should be particularly psyched here. There's pretty much a guarantee that Brexit will end up breaking some portion of the Good Friday Accords, and needing to cut a good deal with Ireland could easily end up getting spun as the UK holding Ireland hostage, which would do wonders for the whole situation. I don't know exactly how much inertia has built up from being in a relative peaceful state, but Brexit probably isn't going to help things.

People on both sides of the border have been pointing out that Brexit would smash the Good Friday Agreement since long before the referendum happened. It's one of the main reasons NI voted to Remain. It's also something I and others pointed out in this thread was getting next to no attention from the UK Government. It STILL isn't. When was the last time you heard an MP address it?

The UK aren't going to hold us hostage because holding this pathetic referendum was holding a gun to our temple, and last summer Britain voted to pull the trigger. It's done. The foundation of the Agreement has been hollowed out from underneath. The ship has sailed. The horse has bolted. The bag is entirely devoid of cats.

So you'll forgive me if I'll spend the next couple of years concentrating on (and pushing for) any potential upside for my country since the potential downside of something we had no say or part is a return to the hard border, our economy being reduced to a smoking ruin and the return to a terrorist conflict that very nearly claimed the lives of my parents before I was born.

This discussion has been closed.