As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Delita is absolutely what hooked me when I started the game up again. The relationship with Ramza and that quiet kidnapping cut scene at the beginning fell pretty flat first time around. I was still trying to wrap my head around the setting and had no idea what the implications were.

Remembering what little I do completely changes how I feel about all these characters, actually. I'm kind of shocked how night and day my reactions are. I was more invested after five minutes this time than I was after endless hours last time. Really didn't think this story would benefit from a revisit, but I think I get where the love comes from now.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The Tactics talk resulted in me reinstalling on my phone. I liked the game the first time around years back, but the story was convoluted and difficult to follow out the gate, so I never got too drawn in beyond loving the job system.

Way different now that I've got a vague memory of motivations and the endless character names. The gameplay starts slow as hell, but the storytelling is way more intriguing than I remembered right out the gate.

Not sure how long it'll take me to play through again, but this thing is quickly growing on me.

Tactics is pretty awesome. It came at a time when Square was really knocking it out of the park with story and direction. Multiple antagonists with their own agendas, forming threads that weave between the layers of the mundane and the fantastic. Delita, alone, is probably the most realized and fleshed out character ever created in a Square game, to say nothing of the other main characters, who are all solid.

I don't know that it deserves much credit for that. FFT was pretty much Tactics Ogre:LUCT 1.5 in terms of story beats, characters, etc. Even had the same key people behind both.

But I'm not bitter about the Ogre Battle franchise being dead or anything.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Man, I wish I bought the iPad version of FFT instead... But I didnt even have an iPad back then.

Seems a little greedy to have them as separate versions though, they were pretty pricey to begin with.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    The Tactics talk resulted in me reinstalling on my phone. I liked the game the first time around years back, but the story was convoluted and difficult to follow out the gate, so I never got too drawn in beyond loving the job system.

Way different now that I've got a vague memory of motivations and the endless character names. The gameplay starts slow as hell, but the storytelling is way more intriguing than I remembered right out the gate.

Not sure how long it'll take me to play through again, but this thing is quickly growing on me.

Tactics is pretty awesome. It came at a time when Square was really knocking it out of the park with story and direction. Multiple antagonists with their own agendas, forming threads that weave between the layers of the mundane and the fantastic. Delita, alone, is probably the most realized and fleshed out character ever created in a Square game, to say nothing of the other main characters, who are all solid.

I don't know that it deserves much credit for that. FFT was pretty much Tactics Ogre:LUCT 1.5 in terms of story beats, characters, etc. Even had the same key people behind both.

FFT was fun to play though. I can see it being said that it stood on the shoulders of giants though.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

True, the Matsuno team was pretty amazing (see: Vagrant Story). But, even then, Square had Xenogears, FF VII, etc. Even the messes (Chrono Cross) were ambitious.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

True. But on the other side, FFT was actually fun to play.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

What do you have against oppressive archer spam?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017

What do you have against oppressive archer spam?

Nothing, actually. But the grind in TO was rough, and I never got over the steep difficulty level.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Are the iOS versions of FFT or FF3 any good? I'd be playing them on an iPhone SE for what it's worth.

tactics is the PSP version, with those cutscenes and translation.

I personally think it is superior to the original PSX version, but if your nostalgia is tied into strange script of the original you may not like it.

Other than that, its a pretty great game to have on a mobile device. I sunk an ungodly number of hours into it

My nostalgia is tied to a game that actually functions without constant slow down.

Slowdown issues were addressed in a patch way back, but that was more than a few iOS updates ago.

Randomly played through FFVI again. That's a great game that's really hard not to make trivial very quickly, especially if you're a completionist.

Oh really?

Did they add the spell casting quotes back in?

No quotes on the Western PSP and Android/iOS versions, though apparently these translations exist and are what's getting used in the mobile game FF Record Keeper. Our very own @Enlong has been compiling them, here.

The missing reverb was never restored.

I'd also like to point out that they never actually fixed the slowdown, they forced the slowed animations to speed up via frameskips, so now they both look and sound horrible.

War of the Lions vastly improved the translation, and added some really neat new content ... which is all wasted upon the inexcusably-shattered foundation which was so very solid in the original game. I got the Android version for something like $2.00 on a sale and still feel it was a waste. It's like playing an expansion to a beta build of a game, which already had its engine finished and released over a decade earlier. If you can enjoy the gameplay and updates despite that, you have the better of me; I'm not capable of it.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I wish I had an endgame file to attempt the bonus dungeon in TO. It's a game I wish I had the chance to play during the SNES era when I had lots of free time.

Also it's pretty nifty that a lot of TO references have found their way into FF14.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm kind of getting the itch to play through this again, which I can't say I was expecting?

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The original translation of FFT made the game impenetrable to young me; I never understood what in the world was going on. I'm in the middle of a (slow) War of the Lions mobile replay, and the story is quite enthralling.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    War of the Lions vastly improved the translation, and added some really neat new content ... which is all wasted upon the inexcusably-shattered foundation which was so very solid in the original game. I got the Android version for something like $2.00 on a sale and still feel it was a waste. It's like playing an expansion to a beta build of a game, which already had its engine finished and released over a decade earlier. If you can enjoy the gameplay and updates despite that, you have the better of me; I'm not capable of it.
    Can you elaborate on this? I went looking around for version differences and found this. The most important gameplay differences I can see include:
    • Fixes to various game-breaking glitches
    • English difficulty adjusted to match Japanese version (no elaboration; what does this mean?)
    • Oil status now works
    • JP cost increases
    • Some new shit
    Sucks about the reverb, but I definitely don't notice that on mobile. Don't really notice poor animation quality either. I can see those being bothersome, though.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Um...I think a deal breaker for me is that you can't steal Genji Equipment from "that" boss fight. I don't know how they handle it in the iOS release though. You had to engage in the MP for that one in the PSP release.

The animation thingie is really noticeable if you spent like 100 hours+ on the original PS1 release.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hrmm. I've been out of the FF loop since I beat 15.

Ideas for a new thread title? Something Zodiac Age themed?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i dunno, something to the effect of following the zodiac age square won't have any more final fantasy games to remaster... time to actually make new games! Maybe ones with girls and/or a story.

the octopath story thing looks cool for the switch i guess though.

• Options
    Hrmm. I've been out of the FF loop since I beat 15.

Ideas for a new thread title? Something Zodiac Age themed?

So long as the puns don't get out of hand. Don't want the title to be too capricorny.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Maybe "The Frantastic Voyage of Captain Basch"?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    "The Zodiac Age is Upon Us! Don't Believe [Final Fantasy]s lies!"

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i dunno, something to the effect of following the zodiac age square won't have any more final fantasy games to remaster... time to actually make new games! Maybe ones with girls and/or a story.

the octopath story thing looks cool for the switch i guess though.

Oh, they can always bring out IV again.

"Final Fantasy IV on the Nintendo Switch! This time it's bubblegum flavored, and Namingway is a playable character!"

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Well, they have VII-XI to get real hd remakes. The "this actually works on a modern system" remakes are nice and all, but they're not really all that much compared to the true HD re releases that X and XII are getting/the 3d remakes that III and IV got. I think they are still due for a 3d remakes of V and VI, yeah? I don't know if I'd want VI remade in 3d, but I think the style would suit V just fine. There's also no hd release for XI, although that's probably something they'll never do (I could actually see this be kinda nice if they turned it into a guild wars style monetization scheme rather than a subscription style one).

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Or maybe (and yes, I know this is just crazy talk) they could rerelease I-VI in their original sprite-based formats? And ditto Chrono-Trigger, while we're talking about it?

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Or maybe (and yes, I know this is just crazy talk) they could rerelease I-VI in their original sprite-based formats? And ditto Chrono-Trigger, while we're talking about it?

They have though.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I loved FFX-2 so a Female Cast final fantasy would be pretty awesome.

The salt would make it all the sweeter

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I really wish that the rumored "Crystal Complete" edition would have turned out to be true.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

They have though.

Sure, but on GBA and PSX, neither of which is easily playable, and the latter is a garbage port. The most recent ports of IV-VI have the uglified sprites.

• Options

They have though.

Sure, but on GBA and PSX, neither of which is easily playable, and the latter is a garbage port. The most recent ports of IV-VI have the uglified sprites.

Yeah, ideally I'd like something closer to the original versions (in non-garbage ports) on PSN and/or PC.

• Options
    Thinking about it, there are probably mods for the steam version if the game to fix the sprites.

• Options
    Thinking about it, there are probably mods for the steam version if the game to fix the sprites.

An excellent point -- I'll have to look into that.

• Options
    Well, they have VII-XI to get real hd remakes. The "this actually works on a modern system" remakes are nice and all, but they're not really all that much compared to the true HD re releases that X and XII are getting/the 3d remakes that III and IV got. I think they are still due for a 3d remakes of V and VI, yeah? I don't know if I'd want VI remade in 3d, but I think the style would suit V just fine. There's also no hd release for XI, although that's probably something they'll never do (I could actually see this be kinda nice if they turned it into a guild wars style monetization scheme rather than a subscription style one).

I'd like to see VI redone, but in a different way, one that brings the Amano art to life. So, instead of 3D models, something animated/cell-like and fluid.

I mean, I know that will never happen, but it's what I want.

• Options

I'd like to see VI redone, but in a different way, one that brings the Amano art to life. So, instead of 3D models, something animated/cell-like and fluid.

I think the difficulty is that Amano isn't a digital artist or a art director. He's really just an illustrator. I think it would be hard to do a good 3d version of Amano's art without Amano himself being behind it's creation/direction and that's really not the kind of work he does.

• Options

I think the difficulty is that Amano isn't a digital artist or a art director. He's really just an illustrator. I think it would be hard to do a good 3d version of Amano's art without Amano himself being behind it's creation/direction and that's really not the kind of work he does.

Honestly? I'd love it to be 2D. I look at what smaller studios are doing in 2D (I mean, shit, have you seen Dead Cells? It's gorgeous), and I think SE could really create something special. Besides, leaving it 2D gives you the world map and towns/caves/exploration from the original. But, there's all sorts of effects and animations and transitions that could be added. Like, maybe a day/night cycle? Or more dynamic combat?

Again, I know it'll never happen because SE is determined to push the limits of 3D with every new game, but I think it could be amazing.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever heard of Amano even doing 2d animation though, so even that is a stretch. Square has done some really beautiful 2d stuff before though, like Legend of Mana.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Amano actually started as a 2d animator; notably working on Speed Racer, Gatchaman, and later Vampire Hunter D.

An interesting anecdote I heard from the man himself was that once he saw the sprite work for FFI, he asked if he should make simpler designs to accommodate the technology. He was adamantly told not to and that the graphics team would strive to match his art instead.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

I think one was being worked on, but I don't know that it ever released.

• Options
    It'd be nice though. This past few weeks I tried to replay FF5-6 pc ports and man...I just can't. I really don't like how Bartz, Krile, Locke, Sabin, etc look in these ports. I actually dug up my old PS1 FF1 copy and ended up playing that game. I know, nostalgia glasses and all but there's a certain charm the old sprites have.

• Options
    It'd be nice though. This past few weeks I tried to replay FF5-6 pc ports and man...I just can't. I really don't like how Bartz, Krile, Locke, Sabin, etc look in these ports. I actually dug up my old PS1 FF1 copy and ended up playing that game. I know, nostalgia glasses and all but there's a certain charm the old sprites have.

Aren't the new phone game (Record Keeper and... Brave Exius, or something like that) sprites good? Sad that SE likely won't re-re-re...-release the old games on modern platforms with that sprite art team in charge.

The iOS/Steam version of V has terrible landscape tiling, too. You can see the seams, especially on rocky surfaces like the meteors.

• Options
    I want whoever was responsible for the sprite work in treasure of the rudras to handle the sprites for a modern 2d game.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Rudras is such a good snes game.

Ball-bustingly difficult though.

• Options
    @Nightslyr actually FFRK has AWESOME sprite work. TBH, I like it even more than FFBE.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    FF thread, quick make a choice!

FFIV or FFT

This discussion has been closed.