As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    FF thread, quick make a choice!

FFIV or FFT

FFT.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    FF thread, quick make a choice!

FFIV or FFT

FFT.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alrighty. Seems like that will be my primary choice for in flight game and FFIV will be the back up.

Thanks!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    FFT seems to have all this nostalgia to it. And by all rights, it's a good game.

But I might have been the only person who was turned off by the 30-40 minute fight sequences, and some of the bullshit the enemies seem capable of early on when you feel super underpowered versus mages and archers hitting you at range.

So FFIV all the way. Because the Dwarf Castle scene. You know the one.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The Sauce wrote: »
    The original translation of FFT made the game impenetrable to young me; I never understood what in the world was going on. I'm in the middle of a (slow) War of the Lions mobile replay, and the story is quite enthralling.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    War of the Lions vastly improved the translation, and added some really neat new content ... which is all wasted upon the inexcusably-shattered foundation which was so very solid in the original game. I got the Android version for something like $2.00 on a sale and still feel it was a waste. It's like playing an expansion to a beta build of a game, which already had its engine finished and released over a decade earlier. If you can enjoy the gameplay and updates despite that, you have the better of me; I'm not capable of it.
    Can you elaborate on this? I went looking around for version differences and found this. The most important gameplay differences I can see include:
    • Fixes to various game-breaking glitches
    • English difficulty adjusted to match Japanese version (no elaboration; what does this mean?)
    • Oil status now works
    • JP cost increases
    • Some new shit
    Sucks about the reverb, but I definitely don't notice that on mobile. Don't really notice poor animation quality either. I can see those being bothersome, though.

The game engine's ability to play sprite animations, music, and sound FX were horrifically mangled in the port process. The original game had no such performance issues and the "PSOne Classic" version in fact runs on PSP flawlessly. Instead of being the single definitive version, WotL winds up presenting a subjective choice between what you value most: do you want enhanced dialog and some extras, or do you want the game to not run like a dogpile?

As far as difficulty, the only such reversions in the game are:
    • JP costs match the Japanese version. Some were lowered for the original western release.
    • Marquis Elmdore has the Safeguard passive equipped, the Genji equipment was not originally available.
    In WotL the Genji gear was made available via the new multiplayer mode, and in a new sidequest.
    The Masmune could still be obtained in the original Japanese PS1 version via the Catch/Sticky Fingers skill, as Lv95 Ninjas could throw them at you in Deep Dungeon/Midlight's Deep.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Original version also has the JP scroll glitch, which is quite helpful in unlocking some job combos you want on later playthroughs.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the versions I guess that's the next question. I had this talk here before I think.

I looked for videos on youtube of the "running poorly" on the WotL version and it was barely noticeable to me.

Anyone have any sort of specific video I should watch to dissuade me from that one/see if I'm OK with it before I grab that version?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I would say grab the war of the lions version. The translation is just so much better. The sound issue with missing reverb on spell effects is the only thing that I really dislike about that version.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I would say grab the war of the lions version. The translation is just so much better. The sound issue with missing reverb on spell effects is the only thing that I really dislike about that version.

Sweet. Yea I imagine I wouldn't even notice the sound stuff so this sounds like the right choice.

Thanks!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Honestly I never really noticed anything bad with it on my iPad way back when. I should play it again....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think I noticed a bit of lag with it in UMD form on my 1st generation PSP, but it certainly wasn't game breaking.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

Sweet. Yea I imagine I wouldn't even notice the sound stuff so this sounds like the right choice.

Thanks!
    Is this your first time through FFT? Because that game comes with some serious Need To Know stuff. It has wonky difficulty, and if you don't rotate saves it's wholly possible to get stuck over halfway through the game with no recourse but to start over.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

Thanks!
    Is this your first time through FFT? Because that game comes with some serious Need To Know stuff. It has wonky difficulty, and if you don't rotate saves it's wholly possible to get stuck over halfway through the game with no recourse but to start over.

Yes, please please please use multiple save slots.

Steam profile
  • Options

Thanks!

I played up to some part before where I had to just be Ramza and didn't have a save before since I was a dumb kid and then haven't played since. This was like... 17 years ago so I don't remember much but I do know to rotate saves thanks to that.

I also don't know how far that was. I feel like that was probably less than half though right? So there's another part like that later too?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The part where you have to

FFT boss fight spoiler alert!
    fight Wiegraf by himself then he turns into Velius

is the part where teenage me learned about why you rotate 2 saves. It was awfully nice to be young enough and have enough free time that I was just like "oh damn, guess I'm starting over this game and doing that first 20+ hours over again" and wasn't even mad.

I think my next time through I leveled so hard that I could beat that fight in like a couple turns. And now I keep 2 rotating saves in every game so the lesson always stuck with me.

• Options
    @DemonStacey If you want some general advice:
    Exp is what your characters use to level up. JP is what is used to level up a class and buy new skills. You only get Exp and JP when a character completes an action in battle. Early on, do not let a turn go to waste. Even if you have to do something stupid like attack one of your own teammates, if that attack doesn't actually endanger them it is better to whack your own dudes than to let a character go through a turn without doing anything.

Particularly because of the first point, some of the very early abilities like "throw stone" are very useful. It gives you more legitimate attack options for melee only characters and also gives you a low damage attack for when you need to resort to hitting your allies.

When something is killed, it's corpse gets a timer. When that timer runs out the corpse will turn into either a treasure box or a crystal. Crystals can be used to recover hp and mp, or if the dead thing was a character class, the person that collects the crystal can inherit a skill from the corpse. If you have control of a battlefield it's a good idea to let all of the corpses expire before you kill the final enemy so you can collect treasure and skills.

You can remove the equipment from guest characters to use for yourself.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You don't have to habitually rotate 2 save slots.

A better warning is "Whenever the game decides to be randomly nice and ask if you want to save, for the love of god save in another slot".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Eh, I just rotate two save slots. I've never had another instance like getting stuck in FFT, but it also protects you from your single save file getting corrupted or something like that, which has happened to me in a couple games.

• Options
    You don't have to habitually rotate 2 save slots.

A better warning is "Whenever the game decides to be randomly nice and ask if you want to save, for the love of god save in another slot".

I mean I habitually rotate 3-5+ save slots on everything these days so it's not an issue. Just young dumb me was trying to save that memory card space ya know.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The part where you have to

FFT boss fight spoiler alert!
    fight Wiegraf by himself then he turns into Velius

is the part where teenage me learned about why you rotate 2 saves. It was awfully nice to be young enough and have enough free time that I was just like "oh damn, guess I'm starting over this game and doing that first 20+ hours over again" and wasn't even mad.

I think my next time through I leveled so hard that I could beat that fight in like a couple turns. And now I keep 2 rotating saves in every game so the lesson always stuck with me.

And yea that was probably the part I was at.

How far into the game was that?

I feel like there was still a lot of game left.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I think it's about halfway through the main game, but it's been quite a while since I played it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I think it's about halfway through the main game, but it's been quite a while since I played it.

huh.. I guess i played a lot more than I thought I did.

I feel like my characters were all low level and lacking in skills. Then again I probably just don't remember well.

• Options
    Technically I think it's the end of act 3, and there are 4 acts, but act 1 is fairly short and nearly all of the side quest content is in act 4, so it kinda balances out.

• Options
    Wait... how late in the game do you get Cid?

I don't think i ever had him. Does he come in really late?

I'm so confused I thought I barely played that game and saw so little of it... how could I have been that far?

Is there some earlier mission where you play as Ramza alone I could be thinking of?

• Options
    There is a level where:
    Ramza spawns on the opposite side of the map, alone with a boss, with a locked gate separating you from the rest of your party.

• Options
    Orlandu joins the party pretty far into the game. He's also hilariously broken compared to everybody else in the game.

• Options
    Orlandu joins the party pretty far into the game. He's also hilariously broken compared to everybody else in the game.

Yea that's what I heard I was looking forward to having him curbstomp the game for me but it seems he comes in so late him being broken doesn't matter much.

What level is end game in this normally?

Wasn't the solo battle part only like level 20 something?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I don't think it's so late in the game that you don't feel it when you get him. I can't remember exactly when it is, but there's still quite a bit of game left to play at that point, especially if you do some of the optional content. It's definitely in the 4th and final chapter of the game when he joins, but there's still a chunk of game left.

I want to say some enemies are like level 50 around the end of the game, but I'm always way over leveled by the end of the game because I love grinding to level up my characters and jobs.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I don't think it's so late in the game that you don't feel it when you get him. I can't remember exactly when it is, but there's still quite a bit of game left to play at that point, especially if you do some of the optional content. It's definitely in the 4th and final chapter of the game when he joins, but there's still a chunk of game left.

I want to say some enemies are like level 50 around the end of the game, but I'm always way over leveled by the end of the game because I love grinding to level up my characters and jobs.

But it is late enough in the game that you'll soon be able to break things yourself, if you wanted. Orlandu comes OP, but that doesn't mean you can't have some homemade OP characters!

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

But it is late enough in the game that you'll soon be able to break things yourself, if you wanted. Orlandu comes OP, but that doesn't mean you can't have some homemade OP characters!

That's what I figured. And why I was surprised he's so late. Seems like is OP level matters less by that point.

• Options
    Orlandu's sword skills are nothing compared to the power of the dark arithmetic.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Sure, but the positive reinforcement an Orator provides lasts forever.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Technically I think it's the end of act 3, and there are 4 acts, but act 1 is fairly short and nearly all of the side quest content is in act 4, so it kinda balances out.
    Except act 1 is actually the longest act, because it's where you spend all the hours powerlevelling your crew to unlock stuff ludicrously early >_>

One way to make sure you never have much of an issue is to make Ramza a Monk and a Ninja. Give him the Brawler ability as a Ninja and don't equip any weapons. This will solve 95% of your problems, with the remaining 5% basically being those rare battles where you have to eliminate dudes far away in the first few turns before they do something ridiculous and make you lose immediately (and honestly the Golem summon on a high-speed character solves most of those, or Golem + Shell or Reflect for the absolute worst one).

The only downsize of this approach is that Ramza is actually the most kickass spellcaster, because he's the only character whose Faith you can max out without him leaving the party. It's just that spellcaster Ramza can get you into serious trouble in a couple of battles, so you'd still want some kind of physical backup.

Anyway, Monks solve most of your early-game woes when you don't have access to any good gear yet. Black Mages are also the best early (and take tons of JP to master, and mastering them is one of many requirements for Dark Knight), so it's good to run with at least one of those.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Except act 1 is actually the longest act, because it's where you spend all the hours powerlevelling your crew to unlock stuff ludicrously early >_>

One way to make sure you never have much of an issue is to make Ramza a Monk and a Ninja. Give him the Brawler ability as a Ninja and don't equip any weapons. This will solve 95% of your problems, with the remaining 5% basically being those rare battles where you have to eliminate dudes far away in the first few turns before they do something ridiculous and make you lose immediately (and honestly the Golem summon on a high-speed character solves most of those, or Golem + Shell or Reflect for the absolute worst one).

The only downsize of this approach is that Ramza is actually the most kickass spellcaster, because he's the only character whose Faith you can max out without him leaving the party. It's just that spellcaster Ramza can get you into serious trouble in a couple of battles, so you'd still want some kind of physical backup.

Anyway, Monks solve most of your early-game woes when you don't have access to any good gear yet. Black Mages are also the best early (and take tons of JP to master, and mastering them is one of many requirements for Dark Knight), so it's good to run with at least one of those.

Lmao if you don't make Ramza a Paladin Ninja dual-weilding Excalibur and Ragnarok.

• Options

Lmao if you don't make Ramza a Paladin Ninja dual-weilding Excalibur and Ragnarok.
    You no longer have problems by the time you can access the Excalibur and the Ragnarok

• Options
    I think the most powerful character is Reis leveled up as her personal class and then job changed to black mage with the arithmetic active skill and her faith as high as possible without her leaving the party.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    There is a level where:
    Ramza spawns on the opposite side of the map, alone with a boss, with a locked gate separating you from the rest of your party.

I remember my strategy for that fight after getting stuck again and again with no back-up save:
    I used Ramza's Tailwind ability to speed him up until he could attack like four or five times in a row to kill the boss.

• Options
    Well I never make my MC in anything a spellcaster so I don't care if Ramza is good at that.

And if I have a choice of sword or not sword I always pick sword.

So I guess this Paladin Ninja idea sounds p good.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    There is a level where:

I remember my strategy for that fight after getting stuck again and again with no back-up save:
    I used Ramza's Tailwind ability to speed him up until he could attack like four or five times in a row to kill the boss.

That's a pretty standard strat, although I think most people try and go for the upgraded ability which does that and other stats too. Yell, maybe?

Steam profile
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man...I wish FFTA was as flexible with team setups. I remember in FFTA running Assassin everything.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This page is a pretty stellar example of why I could never get into FFT or strategy games in general

This discussion has been closed.