As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This page is a pretty stellar example of why I could never get into FFT or strategy games in general

I love you so much Vow, but man do you have the worst taste.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I used to keep a beginning game save with Ramza rigged with the Holy Swordsman class, custom boss magic secondary, Hamedo as his Reaction, Non-Charge as his support, and Teleport 2 as his movement ability.

The starting random units were replaced with Celia, Lede, and an Ultima Demon.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Wait... I don't see paladin as a job class in FFT?

I guess Knight is what is meant?

Also is there a reason you wouldn't use Durandal or Chaos Blade instead as those seem stronger than Excalibur/Ragnarok?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Excalibur I think does holy damage.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Also is there a reason you wouldn't use Durandal or Chaos Blade instead as those seem stronger than Excalibur/Ragnarok?

Excalibur had Auto-haste.

Speaking of Excalibur, did anyone on the original PS game make copies of the legendary swords by equipping a shield in the right hand, the legendary sword in the left hand, the two swords support ability, and optimize in the shop? An army of Excalibur wielders, and you could actually use Orlandeau to clone the Masamune and Chirjiraden for their respective Samurai skills (both of which were awesome).

• Options
    I did not know that was a thing you could do.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I did not know that was a thing you could do.

This is an in-depth guide on how to do it. I'm not sure how kid me discovered it, now that I think of it. Unless it was in the original paper guide, I might have actually found it by accident.

Well, was GameFAQS around in 1997? Gods I'm old.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    What about Ragnarok though? That one doesn't seem to do anything special over the other two?

• Options
    What about Ragnarok though? That one doesn't seem to do anything special over the other two?

Maybe because it's more well known? Objectively Chaos Blade is the strongest.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Speaking of Excalibur, did anyone on the original PS game make copies of the legendary swords by equipping a shield in the right hand, the legendary sword in the left hand, the two swords support ability, and optimize in the shop? An army of Excalibur wielders, and you could actually use Orlandeau to clone the Masamune and Chirjiraden for their respective Samurai skills (both of which were awesome).

Yeah, I abused the fuck out of that for katanas. Then I could use abilities without risking breaking all my weapons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

Yeah, absolutely. I think my endgame team was usually Ramza, TG Cid, Beowulf, Agrias, and then one generic with Calculator/Summon and all the magicks. And then dupe awesome swords for everyone and go to town.

I was pretty thrilled to recently streamroll the rest of FFRK's dungeons with TG Cid acting just as he should.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think I might have abused it a little just for ninja throwing stock. But otherwise I don't think I really needed it. FFT's difficulty is a pretty wacky rollercoaster. It can be shockingly difficult at the start (especially that 4th mission in the slums). Then it eases off. Then comes the brick wall that is the source of all the save file warnings you hear. Then it eases back again and has a pretty normal slope upwards. Until you get to the end, where you basically have the characters and the tools necessary to soft break the game, if you haven't already. Like, TGCid is pretty overpowered, but not even he can solo carry the last few missions. But it's also not terribly difficult to build up the team needed to back him up either. Especially if you collect some of the optional characters or delve into some of the advanced classes. Let's just say that math in Ivalice can be a deadly weapon in the right hands.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I think I used Math CT5 Holy, when my whole team absorbed Holy, to just wreck everything.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I think I used Math CT5 Holy, when my whole team absorbed Holy, to just wreck everything.
    I did this to complete the Deep Dungeon. Everyone had Excalibur and just stood around while I holy spammed the enemies to death.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    L I T T L E M O N E Y

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    So they are JUST NOW heading into the development phase of the FFVII remake.

I am happy this is not a game I'm looking forward to but I do feel bad for those that are.

Stop announcing things so early Square!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I am happy this is not a game I'm looking forward to but I do feel bad for those that are.

I think this is a situation where definitions are a bit ambiguous. Prototyping, nailing down the game engine, and all of that are absolutely part of development.

Maybe they are just now beginning work on level design and building the art assets for the world, dungeons, characters, monsters, and all of that, but that doesn't mean the game hasn't already been in development.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i know this is a huge exaggeration but i always like to think that someone somewhere is just walking around the office going "see that old final fantasy 7, just do that but with current graphics" and everyone nods their head and silently curses.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i know this is a huge exaggeration but i always like to think that someone somewhere is just walking around the office going "see that old final fantasy 7, just do that but with current graphics" and everyone nods their head and silently curses.

Shit man, I do that around my office and I'm not even a game dev! :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I think this is a situation where definitions are a bit ambiguous. Prototyping, nailing down the game engine, and all of that are absolutely part of development.

Maybe they are just now beginning work on level design and building the art assets for the world, dungeons, characters, monsters, and all of that, but that doesn't mean the game hasn't already been in development.

Oh I know that. But it was announced 2 years ago. 2 years before even getting to that part of the process is... a bit far out yeh?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Oh I know that. But it was announced 2 years ago. 2 years before even getting to that part of the process is... a bit far out yeh?

I feel like Square has run into the situation more than once where they spend a REALLY long time in the conceptual stage, planning out basically everything, then they actually start constructing, and all that concept work goes out the window as they discover the technical limitations, and have to re-conceptualize to fit those new parameters. It's like designing the perfect home, then having to go back to the drawing board when you realize that your design won't work, since the house has to be made of wood.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »

Shit man, I do that around my office and I'm not even a game dev! :razz:

the walking around or the silent cursing? probably most of us are the second person in that scenario :)

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Development is the "easy" part, if they're using it the way I think they are (and since we saw a gameplay demo last time this was shown off, they're at least using something close to it).

They've likely completed most if not all of the concept designs (including renders for most to all important characters and a full storyboard from beginning to end), implemented the core of the functional systems (navigation / map traversal, combat, cutscene architecture), and have at the very least a finished draft of the script (some parts completely finished so they can record animations and VO).

That means they're in the stage where they're fully implementing the "levels" (likely in parallel while using unfinished art assets so the finalized ones can be inserted in accordance with the implemented level's specs), enemies, full set of player abilities (esp. for combat), and starting the process of refining the numbers. Hopefully they've settled on a really good battle system this time instead of XV's situation of constantly releasing bad prototypes while floundering toward eventual mediocrity. Though that was probably a result of late leadership changes.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/26/expect-final-fantasy-vii-remake-kingdom-hearts-iii-release-sometime-three-years/

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I'm laughing to mask my tears.

Square... pls... get it together...

For those who don't want to click:

We can expect FF7 remake and KH3 sometime in 3 years... or so.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    ROFL!

So FFXVI in 2025?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/26/expect-final-fantasy-vii-remake-kingdom-hearts-iii-release-sometime-three-years/

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I'm ....okay with it.

Not KH3, unless I get both Star Wars and Marvel with at least one of the original voices.

But FFVII Remake? Yeah, it's likely the last thing this team is going to ever do. Give em time and let em go out with a bang.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

The only team at SE that seems to be on the ball is Yoshi-P and the X|V crew. Regular, sometimes beefy content updates/patches at regular intervals, and another expansion being released in less than a month. Yeah, there's less work to do since the base game already exists, but it's still refreshing given how mismanaged some of the previous mainline games were (XII, XV).

At this point, I'm skeptical of anything new coming from them. The XII HD remake should be fine because it's primarily just an asset upgrade, with a slight tweak to existing systems. But anything else? After XV I'm not confident they can create anything that's not simply another pretty, hot mess.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    ROFL!

So FFXVI in 2025?

More like 2035. There needs to be time for producers to quit, for engines to fail, for corporate meddling, etc.

• Options
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I'm ....okay with it.

Not KH3, unless I get both Star Wars and Marvel with at least one of the original voices.

But FFVII Remake? Yeah, it's likely the last thing this team is going to ever do. Give em time and let em go out with a bang.

Yea I'm sad about KH3. Real sad about that really.

FF7 I won't even play so that doesn't bother me in that respect by still makes me sad as to what it says about the company.

• Options
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I'm ....okay with it.

FF7 I won't even play so that doesn't bother me in that respect by still makes me sad as to what it says about the company.

Yeah. I don't like shitting on SE. They were one of my favorite developers of my formative years (well, Squaresoft was). But, right now, they seem to be flailing around. Mainline games that take forever and a day to make, and don't show much for the time spent. A weird view of what success actually is, leading to the suspension of franchises made by their secondary studios like Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs. Charging a premium for old titles that were remade with questionable quality (looking at you, FFV).

From the outside looking in, they seem to be a mess. And SE proper is moving away from making games I want to play (I despise XV, and fear it's a glimpse of what's to come from them).

And all of that makes me both somewhat sad and angry.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Hahahahahaahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

I'm ....okay with it.

Yeah. I don't like shitting on SE. They were one of my favorite developers of my formative years (well, Squaresoft was). But, right now, they seem to be flailing around. Mainline games that take forever and a day to make, and don't show much for the time spent. A weird view of what success actually is, leading to the suspension of franchises made by their secondary studios like Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs. Charging a premium for old titles that were remade with questionable quality (looking at you, FFV).

From the outside looking in, they seem to be a mess. And SE proper is moving away from making games I want to play (I despise XV, and fear it's a glimpse of what's to come from them).

And all of that makes me both somewhat sad and angry.

While I didn't despise ff15 I definitely have the same general feelings.

They seemed like they were making weird decisions for awhile but I really really thought they were on the way to learning/turning back towards what I loved them for. But now I of all people am actually getting worried.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They have management problems for sure. Unfortunately their best project management is on XIV it seems.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The thing is, none of this is much of a surprise at all. Well, except maybe Kingdom Hearts as that's rapidly approaching critical mass of "How long have you been bloody making it already?". VII though, zero shock at all. They only have so many development teams, and they announced the game when they still had their hands comically full with XV. And as it was said so many goddamn times before, the remake of VII that people want is going to take is going to take a metric ton of work and time. Now that they have hands free with XV and its DLC/emergency turd polishing finally wrapping up, oh look actual development on VII has finally officially started. And shit, I kinda think 2018 might almost be a bit conservative on that front. I suppose it depends how massively in depth each VII episode is going to be (oh yeah, don't forget that's a thing), whether they're a full game unto themselves or more traditionally episodic in nature.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The 3 years thing plus the episodic nature makes the FF7:re even more interesting/troubling.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Honestly? I would've been a lot happier if they just punted Versus XIII/XV and started working on VII earlier in order to have something real to show for the 20th anniversary.

EDIT: 20th anniversary... holy shit I'm old

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Honestly? I would've been a lot happier if they just punted Versus XIII/XV and started working on VII earlier in order to have something real to show for the 20th anniversary.

While I think that would have been a colossally bad idea... boy howdy do I want a window into that timeline to see how news of XV's cancellation would have gone down. :D

• Options
    Square Enix actually has two development teams that seem to have their shit together. The FFXIV team, and the DQXI team.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Kingdom Hearts 3 has perpetually been 3 years away for the better part of a decade.

Source: I worked at a Disney studio a few years back, saw several release calendars.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So, how is FFX-2? I picked up the Remaster combo on Steam a while ago and played through FFX for the first time since it's release. I didn't remember it being quite so linear, and the battle system kind of turned me off, so I stopped after Zanarkand and just watched the rest on Youtube, kek. But FFX-2 seems to have a more ATB-style combat system? And 3 characters who can change jobs seems better than a bunch of characters who step in and out of battle as you need their stuff. At least I won't have to constantly be buffing new people.

So, is it a decent RPG in it's own right? Is there any annoying grinding that I'll hate, like how I never had enough materials to synthesize anything in FFX proper?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @Rius the gameplay is solid, and the dressphere is a fantastic leveling and combat system. From a technical and mechanical standpoint, X-2 is a very solid game and it is a lot of fun to play.

But. The story is dumb. Real dumb. The tone and styling are very different from X.

X-2 is basically Charlie's Angels: Spira.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.