As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon] SE++ League in planning, yo! Page 95 or OP, yo!

WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPEDRegistered User regular
edited December 2016 in Social Entropy++
Hey trainers, there's been a lot of news in the Pokeworld recently!

olrd8opromo4.png


SUN AND MOON

The big one. Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon release this Friday November 18th worldwide... except in Europe, where it will release on November 23rd for some reason. Set in the Alola islands, SuMo will feature a whole bunch of new pokemon, new special "Z" moves, an end to the HM curse, and also "alola forms" of some beloved first-gen 'mons.



Spreadsheet for adding SE++ players

Add your info to this spreadsheet and join other SE++ers in playing the game!

Early rewards

Don't forget to get your Mystery Gift Munchlax. He is a good boy.


20th ANNIVERSARY LEGENDARIES

poke_meloetta.png

For players with XY and/or ORAS, Meloetta will be available by Mystery Gift starting December 1st, until December 24th. Remember, this is for XY/ORAS only.

Arceus is currently available for X/Y owners if you enter the code ARCEUS20 in North America or ARCEUS2016 in Europe.

Want you some Magearna? Scan this QR code after you beat Sun and/or Moon:

T1Biq8y.png


POKEMON GO

It's getting cold out there, but some people are still playing Pokemon Go! Yes, really! Newest update: DITTO IS IN THE GAME. It's apparently disguised as pidgey, rattata, or zubat, and only reveals itself if you catch it.


SE++ LEAGUE?
SilverWind wrote: »
OK, I took the initiative to set up a poll on starting up a SE++ Pokemon League. Vote on what pokemon, if any, to ban, and which clauses, if any, we should adopt.

Poll Part 1!

Poll Part 2!

Again, the general proposal is:

1. Start date: In January after the Pokebank becomes active, which also gives us time to plan now.
2. Gyms: Anyone can start a gym, they just have to be generally available (e.g. be able to have a match within a week of being challenged) and either have a team set up around a Theme or a Type. Overlap is fine, just come up with a new badge.
3. Challengers: Anyone can be a challenger, including gym leaders (using a different team to challenge from their gym team is fine).
4. Depending on interest level, we'll either a number of badges to qualify for an E4 and champion tourney, or just go straight to setting up an E4 and have people duke out for the champion position.
5. Single battles. Banned pokemon and clauses in effect to be determined by majority vote.


OP 90% stolen from SilverWind, but I'm married to her so it's fine.

dN0T6ur.png
Wyborn on
«134567100

Posts

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

    turtleant
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Pyuku...

    MUKU


    Guys talk me out of hunting for a shiny minior I really need it right now

    (The shiny or the talking to, I don't know which)

    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love that I got 20 grand for picking up a few Pyukumuku on the beach
    That's what I love

    OmnipotentBagelSir Fabulousdrp527DemonStaceyAndy JoeTommy2HandsGoose!Kwoarudarunia106The Escape GoatHexmage-PAMegaMekThe BetgirlRorshach KringleGiggles_Funsworth
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Pyuku...

    MUKU


    Guys talk me out of hunting for a shiny minior I really need it right now

    (The shiny or the talking to, I don't know which)

    Shiny rates have never been higher and the SOS system lets you basically spawn new ones infinitely.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

    SilverWind
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh sorry, if you were actually looking to be talked down from this, you came to the wrong place.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

    SilverWindDemonStaceyTurambar
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Comp team

    Anchor
    Minior
    Golosiopod
    Sea cucumber
    Sandslash
    Vikavolt

    White herb minior will be scary
    The anchor is super bulky and can rapid spin
    Everything else is just cool

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    it makes golisopod the #1 slayer of fast frail bug-weak mons aka alakazam/weavile

  • something a million times dumbersomething a million times dumber JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    I think it actually has double priority, so it beats stuff like mach punch

    PLA
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    If you don't like Pyukumuku than Pyukunfuckoff.

    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    SilverWindArchGrey GhostThe Escape GoatHexmage-PAClint Eastwood
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Would've been nice if the game had mentioned that first impressions has priority

    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    The Escape Goat
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    just wondering, is there/has there ever been a post-game function for emptying EVs from a given stat of a poke

    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    First Impression is the Bug version of Extremespeed, but stronger

    Psychic types cannot stay in against that beastie, especially if he has a Life Orb

    dN0T6ur.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    I think it actually has double priority, so it beats stuff like mach punch

    Oh!

    So it's a bug-type Fake-out with more than double the power and no flinching.

    Ok. Yeah, i can now totally see why people swear by it.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    there are berries that remove evs in certain stats and super training had reset bags which would set evs back to 0

    DemonStaceyTommy2HandsSpeed RacerThe Escape Goat
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Would've been nice if the game had mentioned that first impressions has priority

    So, it doesn't make for a good first impression?

    The X/Y curse strikes again, I beat all the trials on the second island and promptly spent all my cash on clothes. No regrets.



    Pailryder
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »
    First Impression is the Bug version of Extremespeed, but stronger

    Psychic types cannot stay in against that beastie, especially if he has a Life Orb

    actually it's a 90 base power, bug-type, golisopod-exclusive version of fake out, ie. +3 priority (always goes first no matter what) and can only be used the first turn it's on the field

    Beasteh on
    NeoToma
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    just wondering, is there/has there ever been a post-game function for emptying EVs from a given stat of a poke

    Look for a set of berries that say they raise happiness but lower a stat. If they have no EVs in that stat it will say that stat can't go lower

    OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    First Impression is the Bug version of Extremespeed, but stronger

    Psychic types cannot stay in against that beastie, especially if he has a Life Orb

    actually it's a 90 base power, bug-type, golisopod-exclusive version of fake out, ie. +3 priority (always goes first no matter what) and can only be used the first turn it's on the field

    Serebii only lists its speed priority as 2, is that wrong

    dN0T6ur.png
    PLA
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Pyuku...

    MUKU


    Guys talk me out of hunting for a shiny minior I really need it right now

    (The shiny or the talking to, I don't know which)

    Shiny rates have never been higher and the SOS system lets you basically spawn new ones infinitely.

    I've never had a Minior call for help though

    If they do you'll need something with Damp because they like to explode on you

    You might be better off getting a foreign language ditto off the GTS and breeding it (foreign language mons still increase shiny chance right?) It would be devastating to finally see a shiny only to have it self destruct

    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    First Impression is the Bug version of Extremespeed, but stronger

    Psychic types cannot stay in against that beastie, especially if he has a Life Orb

    actually it's a 90 base power, bug-type, golisopod-exclusive version of fake out, ie. +3 priority (always goes first no matter what) and can only be used the first turn it's on the field

    Serebii only lists its speed priority as 2, is that wrong

    i think serebii lists +2 as 'faster than normal priority' when really it should be +1 (mach punch etc) +2 (extremespeed) and +3 (fake out/first impressions)

  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I have a psyduck with damp ability, so yes, I'd be fielding that. Time to check and see if the bugger will call for help though.

    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    If you don't like Pyukumuku than Pyukunfuckoff.
    Radius wrote: »
    Would've been nice if the game had mentioned that first impressions has priority

    So, it doesn't make for a good first impression?

    The X/Y curse strikes again, I beat all the trials on the second island and promptly spent all my cash on clothes. No regrets.

    I can't spend money on fashion because I have to save up for the weather TMs, which cost 50,000 each and are bad both in the story and competitively (for the most part), but I will destroy my own soul essence before I pass up a TM.

    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • PeewiPeewi I'm a cube now Registered User regular
    I've had a Kartana up on GTS all day and no one has given me a Celesteela. At least I was able to trade Buzzwole for Pheromosa with no problems.

    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam profile
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I love that everyone's first impression of First Impression (mine included) is 'well, it's okay, but let's see if we can put something else there'

    And then they get the whole story and go, 'oh. OH. Well. Okay, then!'

    something a million times dumberNeoTomaMaddocThe Escape Goat
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    First Impression is the Bug version of Extremespeed, but stronger

    Psychic types cannot stay in against that beastie, especially if he has a Life Orb

    actually it's a 90 base power, bug-type, golisopod-exclusive version of fake out, ie. +3 priority (always goes first no matter what) and can only be used the first turn it's on the field

    Serebii only lists its speed priority as 2, is that wrong

    i think serebii lists +2 as 'faster than normal priority' when really it should be +1 (mach punch etc) +2 (extremespeed) and +3 (fake out/first impressions)

    I'm not gainsaying you, to be clear

    Serebii just has both ES and FI at 2, and Fake Out at 3

    dN0T6ur.png
    PLA
  • drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    just wondering, is there/has there ever been a post-game function for emptying EVs from a given stat of a poke

    Look for a set of berries that say they raise happiness but lower a stat. If they have no EVs in that stat it will say that stat can't go lower

    In addition to this (if you can find them since i sure haven't) there are two shops you can get for festival plaza that at 2 or more stars will reduce evs in a given stat by a lot, and i think at 4+ have a second option to reduce to 0

    Of course, each shop only works for 3 different stats so you'd need both, and they don't work if the pokemon has max friendship, so this isn't that much more convenient than the rare and slow growing berries

    drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    I think it actually has double priority, so it beats stuff like mach punch

    Oh!

    So it's a bug-type Fake-out with more than double the power and no flinching.

    Ok. Yeah, i can now totally see why people swear by it.
    Yeah, what I was going to say in that abandoned draft was "First Impression is probably worth keeping even in rain, because it's still 50% stronger than Aqua Jet after the rain boost and it lets you mix up your priority game more." But then I second-guessed myself and didn't post it, because maybe Wyborn saw people switch out of Golisopod so often that priority on the first turn rarely mattered.

    I mean, I figure the overall calculus is:
    -Aqua Jet is a must on every set, obviously.
    -I still think First Impression is probably a must unless I'm way off.
    -Liquidate is a must in a rain team, but optional otherwise.
    -Leech Life is probably a better high-BP, non-limited STAB outside of rain, because of healing. Although maybe that's wrong, because otherwise you can mix up First Impression vs. Liquidate on your first turn in? And water has better neutral coverage too...
    -Sucker Punch is a solid priority option for stuff that resists water, but it's probably less good in rain because neutral Aqua Jet becomes substantially stronger.

    I keep coming back to "First Impression, Aqua Jet, plus two of the other three". Dropping First Impression isn't really something that occurred to me as a serious option. But if you take First Impression/Aqua Jet/Liquidate as a given for rain, then the last slot becomes more awkward, because if you take Leech Life for the healing then you have the worst coverage spread possible. But then I wasn't sure how many meta-relevant pokemon resist both water and bug. Bug is already neutral on grass-ghost and grass-steel. And a lot of tanky/supporty things aren't guaranteed to trigger Sucker Punch anyway.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    NeoTomaArchBeasteh
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Someone made a bunch of adamant wimpods right

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I have available adamant wimpods with aqua jet

    They've got random IVs though

    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Klendy
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I could care less about IVs

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Yeah I've gotten pretty much no use outta sucker punch on showdown.
    non-stab dark isn't very useful offensively

    NeoToma on
    Beasteh
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I love that everyone's first impression of First Impression (mine included) is 'well, it's okay, but let's see if we can put something else there'

    And then they get the whole story and go, 'oh. OH. Well. Okay, then!'
    I would just like to take a moment to remind everyone, on the record, that I totally called it as soon as I read the the description and none of you people believed me. So there!

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    KnobNeoTomaCare Free BombPLA
  • something a million times dumbersomething a million times dumber JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    if I play comp I am 100% ignoring IVs because I just cannot be arsed

    Arch
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I love that everyone's first impression of First Impression (mine included) is 'well, it's okay, but let's see if we can put something else there'

    And then they get the whole story and go, 'oh. OH. Well. Okay, then!'

    would you say the move

    doesn't really present a good first impression

    KnobKlendy
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is shadow sneak on Mimikyu better than shadow claw? Does the priority make up for the low power?

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    first impression was always a lock for my golisopod, but I'm still constantly debating the rest of the moveset

    sucker punch? leech life? aqua jet? liquidate? Metal Claw? I DONT KNOW

  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Is shadow sneak on Mimikyu better than shadow claw? Does the priority make up for the low power?

    What set are you thinking? My (story) Mimikyu has Shadow Sneak / Play Rough / Swords Dance / Shadow Claw, and it works well enough.

  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, First Impression has priority? Well, that changes things a fair bit.

    I think it actually has double priority, so it beats stuff like mach punch

    Oh!

    So it's a bug-type Fake-out with more than double the power and no flinching.

    Ok. Yeah, i can now totally see why people swear by it.
    Yeah, what I was going to say in that abandoned draft was "First Impression is probably worth keeping even in rain, because it's still 50% stronger than Aqua Jet after the rain boost and it lets you mix up your priority game more." But then I second-guessed myself and didn't post it, because maybe Wyborn saw people switch out of Golisopod so often that priority on the first turn rarely mattered.

    I mean, I figure the overall calculus is:
    -Aqua Jet is a must on every set, obviously.
    -I still think First Impression is probably a must unless I'm way off.
    -Liquidate is a must in a rain team, but optional otherwise.
    -Leech Life is probably a better high-BP, non-limited STAB outside of rain, because of healing. Although maybe that's wrong, because otherwise you can mix up First Impression vs. Liquidate on your first turn in? And water has better neutral coverage too...
    -Sucker Punch is a solid priority option for stuff that resists water, but it's probably less good in rain because neutral Aqua Jet becomes substantially stronger.

    I keep coming back to "First Impression, Aqua Jet, plus two of the other three". Dropping First Impression isn't really something that occurred to me as a serious option. But if you take First Impression/Aqua Jet/Liquidate as a given for rain, then the last slot becomes more awkward, because if you take Leech Life for the healing then you have the worst coverage spread possible. But then I wasn't sure how many meta-relevant pokemon resist both water and bug. Bug is already neutral on grass-ghost and grass-steel. And a lot of tanky/supporty things aren't guaranteed to trigger Sucker Punch anyway.

    It's tricky, but it's also partially down to being willing to say "Well, Golisopod can't kill literally everything and that's fine"

    It just comes close

    First Impressions is an amazing move, and if Bug were a better attacking type I'd call it the best one it has, but it's Goli's signature and everyone expects it on that first turn. You can almost guarantee that if the enemy has the option then they will switch in something to resist First Impressions (unless you outpredict them). I've run into a ton of teams that carried Celesteela, and Celes walls Goli completely unless Goli's packing Liquidation (in which case, Celes switching into Liquidation can be finished off with Aqua Jet every time unless Celes has a lot of defensive investment plus Leftovers).

    The big problem with First Impressions in a vacuum is that it's so scary against Pokemon weak to it that leaving them in against Goli is just unconscionable. And Bug is terrible as an attacking type, so there's always tons of options to bring in against it.

    I'd never leave First Impressions off, though. What it does hit, just, mwa. Perfect. Like a train.

    My perspective on Goli's water moves is slightly skewed though in that I try to keep rain up like 90% of the time for my team.

    dN0T6ur.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2016
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Is shadow sneak on Mimikyu better than shadow claw? Does the priority make up for the low power?

    What set are you thinking? My (story) Mimikyu has Shadow Sneak / Play Rough / Swords Dance / Shadow Claw, and it works well enough.

    Sneak, Swords Dance, Play Rough, Leech Life. Holding a life orb. He's designed to set up a swords dance (or more than one if they give him a turn) and then sweep

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

This discussion has been closed.