As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy XV] Who needs armor when you've got Gladiolus' abs?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    If I understand Justice Monsters V correctly, you use the curvature of the bumper to shoot the disc-thing, right? It didn't seem like banking the shots with the left stick was influencing the angle, but if the disc was fired from the righthand side of the curvature it'd fire off to the left.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Haha, I really should have read some spoilers.

Just started Chapter 10, so far the game gets an F- for plot.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2016
    I love every Final Fantasy I've played and I bet I can't describe the plot in half of them.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    If I understand Justice Monsters V correctly, you use the curvature of the bumper to shoot the disc-thing, right? It didn't seem like banking the shots with the left stick was influencing the angle, but if the disc was fired from the righthand side of the curvature it'd fire off to the left.
    Honestly even after all that time, I still have only the barest handle on how the shooting is supposed to work. There is some amount of influence you can have with the stick (sometimes it seems like you even have some aftertouch) but the different discs have different behaviors. (For example, the far right disc seemed to be the most sensitive to stick movement.)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just found out the flying upgrade for the car is post-game only and that's horseshit

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I love every Final Fantasy I've played and I bet I can't describe the plot in half of them.

This plot isn't inscrutable, it's actually painfully straightforward. It's just bad.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My point was more that I really don't care about plot in a FF game. If it happens to be good... Well that's just a bonus.

• Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    My point was more that I really don't care about plot in a FF game. If it happens to be good... Well that's just a bonus.

My favorite game in the series will always be VII and that story is a rolling dumpster fire

doesn't stop me from loving the hell out of it though

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Do any of them have a "good" plot?

FFVI is probably the height of plot in FF games and it is full of holes and unfinished stories.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    People keep comparing this to Metal Gear Solid V, which I think is great! I can't wait to knock out a lady with a supply drop and have my dog kill someone with a knife

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    I get the feeling that this is going to be the MGSV of 2016.

Fun gameplay, good open world, looks and sounds great. Lots of great little touches.

Poor, disjointed main plot.

At least we'll finally be able to answer whether MGS5 would have been better if Big Boss was voiced by the Backstreet Boys

Oh hey turns out you can keep the lock-in if you press L3 so you don't need to hold down L1 all the time.

Thank you so much for this.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as plot goes...I'm still in chapter 2 so I can't comment yet.

• Options
    I was hoping they'd bring back Tetra Triad. I love card collecting in my games.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's an Empire in this game.
    I feel like that's all the information I need to know who I'm going to be fighting.
    Has FF ever had a good Empire? I can't think of any. Kingdoms good, Empires bad.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    As far as plot goes, I'm hoping it gets entertainly weird.

Like my biggest complaint with as far as I've gotten (chapter 2) plot wise is that its all pretty standard and that isn't why I play Final Fantasies.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    10's story made sense to me, and by extension was my favorite.

(I still haven't played 6, so shoot me)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Do any of them have a "good" plot?

FFVI is probably the height of plot in FF games and it is full of holes and unfinished stories.

let me tell you about how Penelo is actually good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As far as plot goes, I'm hoping it gets entertainly weird.

Like my biggest complaint with as far as I've gotten (chapter 2) plot wise is that its all pretty standard and that isn't why I play Final Fantasies.

Based only on the opening scene before stuff actually started, it looks like it's gonna get kinda weird.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    10's story made sense to me, and by extension was my favorite.

(I still haven't played 6, so shoot me)

I will.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The only thing I'm not liking so far is how little money I always seem to have.

Other than that, the combat is super fun, and I love these boys.

Except Ignis. I have no strong feelings for or against that bland dude.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Picked this up last night, I'm... kind of hating the combat. It's a big flood of bullshit that I can't see clearly. A half dozen wolf-lizards will swarm, I'll be unable to see the combat cues from any of them clearly, and I'll spend the whole fight getting bounced onto my ass while my NPC bros do the actual fighting. Having all my guys in color(less)-coordinated boy band outfits doesn't help the visual jumble at all.

Exploring the first area, I find this dungeon that's a Mine. Head inside, mostly goblins, who I fight easily. But then there's this level 52 motherfucker all of the sudden, and he knocks my guys down into this pit. One-shots each of my helper dudes in rapid succession. One-shots me a bunch of times too, but then Carbuncle keeps coming and refreshing my HP so that I can't actually seem to die. Can't get out of the pit, because I can't climb fucking ladders in combat mode. Spend 45 minutes taking shots at the guy in between getting killed and revived, manage to make a barely-perceptible sliver of his HP fall off.

I eventually just shut off my PS4. I guess when I get home tonight I'll check to see how far back my last save was, and you know what? If it's more than an hour before I entered the mine, I'm just taking the game back for a refund. Fuck that, life is too short.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Why have a dungeon full of level 7 mooks, wth a level 52 boss at the end?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't understand what Prompto's purpose is

Gladiolus is the bodyguard, Ignis is the driver and the cook, Prompto is...also there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Gladiolus is the bodyguard, Ignis is the driver and the cook, Prompto is...also there

He's noctis' friend

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Well they're all his bodyguards technically.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Plot is one of the biggest reasons I play FF games and I think many of them have good, engaging ones.

They're usually always a bit messy but not messy enough for me to call them bad stories. Many FF stories have made me care about them and get invested, and left me feeling satisfied.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

He doesn't appear to be the boss, according to my understanding of what the map icons were supposed to be telling me, he seems to just be some jerkass demon samurai who wanders around the middle of the mine.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Prompto's the kind of character that is made by someone who's new to tabletop RPGs, doesn't fully understand the rulebook/game mechanics, but really wants to give it a shot so he just roleplays himself.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Plot is one of the biggest reasons I play FF games and I think many of them have good, engaging ones.

They're usually always a bit messy but not messy enough for me to call them bad stories. Many FF stories have made me care about them and get invested, and left me feeling satisfied.

Yeah. Like its hard for me to explain what I like about plots in FF games

For instance, FFVIII gets the most shit but is probably in my top 3. Definitely top 5.

Also, a lot of game plots folks consider good I often find kind of boring.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

This plot isn't inscrutable, it's actually painfully straightforward. It's just bad.

I have never played a JRPG with a good story

I'm here for the characters and the combat

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    The only thing I'm not liking so far is how little money I always seem to have.

Other than that, the combat is super fun, and I love these boys.

Except Ignis. I have no strong feelings for or against that bland dude.

IgnisxNoctis forever

pasted_image_at_2016_11_30_11_57_am.png

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

He doesn't appear to be the boss, according to my understanding of what the map icons were supposed to be telling me, he seems to just be some jerkass demon samurai who wanders around the middle of the mine.

Hmm, well he was hanging out at what seemed to be the bottom and there was nowhere else to go, and regular goblins seemed to be spawning infinitely, so I dunno

• Options

Guess you haven't played Persona 3/4.

• Options

Guess you haven't played Persona 3/4.

I have, I don't care for the story in those games

I like the characters

• Options
    Meh, I've never gotten the specific criticism jRPG stories get when most video games are rarely great narratively. At least I usually find some of their stories entertaining.

Also switching to wait mode really helps reduce some of the chaotic feel fights can have at times.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    FFIV plot is probably a pinnacle, if not the pinnacle for me in terms of "easy to understand" jurp plots go. At least right up until that last 20% because let's all go to the Moon. Even that though is pretty tame as far as crazy wacky jrpg plot devices go. Zeromus is just a bad excuse for a final boss because his only reason for everything is being the embodiment of Hatred. Yawn.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    FFIV plot is probably a pinnacle, if not the pinnacle for me in terms of "easy to understand" jurp plots go. At least right up until that last 20% because let's all go to the Moon. Even that though is pretty tame as far as crazy wacky jrpg plot devices go. Zeromus is just a bad excuse for a final boss because his only reason for everything is being the embodiment of Hatred. Yawn.

It's a lot easier to have a coherent story when the story dictates who is in your party.

But yeah, up until the MOON WHALE FFIV is pretty straightforward.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah uh

Persona 4's main story is actively fucking terrible, it starts off interesting then goes down the toilet, but the characters rule so it's still a fine experience just to hear people talk usually

I would be flat-out surprised if XV's story is worse

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying playing this, but the combat with multiple enemies still feels like a complete goddamn mess so far and I'm wondering if I'll hit a point where it just sort of clicks with me