Options

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I dunno man Sandra Bullock has kind of a bad history with subways.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Michael Shannon is the only good thing in Nocturnal Animals, I hope he wins Best Supporting.
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Jungle Book remake seemed pointless. It's 95% CG anyway.

And enjoyable.

It also changes several things in really interesting ways and executes the story very well. It's a pretty good movie.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You know what I really liked about the new Jungle Book was the ending.
    I like that Mowgli stays in the jungle and that it doesn't end like the cartoon does. I thought it was a bold move to drastically change such an iconic ending. But also I'm not crazy about the notion that Mowgli doesn't 'belong' in the forest just because he wasn't born there - it feels a bit out of step with our modern, pluralistic society. In a world where the US has been taken over by hateful extremists who want to block Muslims from entering our country, and tell trans people they can't use the bathrooms that correspond to who they really are, it's nice to see a movie with the message that home isn't necessarily where you're born, and you can be anything you really want to be.

...Even if prolly main reason they ended it that way was to make room for a sequel.

wandering on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    La La Land's ending:
    I thought it was appropriately bittersweet. Not every relationship ends happily. They made their choices, they still love one another, but it lead them in two different directions. The "what if" scenario gave them a moment to ponder what their lives might have been like had they taken different routes, but both are still living happy lives having reached their dreams. The smile they gave each other at the end was a subtle way for them to say so much about how they feel about each other and to show that they are happy that they are both doing well. It was such a gut punch, but not necessarily unhappy ending for both people.

Also, her husband was played Tom Everett Scott aka The Drummer:

thatthingyoudo_1.jpg

Musical Cinematic Universe! :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    La La Land's ending:
    I thought it was appropriately bittersweet. Not every relationship ends happily. They made their choices, they still love one another, but it lead them in two different directions. The "what if" scenario gave them a moment to ponder what their lives might have been like had they taken different routes, but both are still living happy lives having reached their dreams. The smile they gave each other at the end was a subtle way for them to say so much about how they feel about each other and to show that they are happy that they are both doing well. It was such a gut punch, but not necessarily unhappy ending for both people.

Also, her husband was played Tom Everett Scott aka The Drummer:

thatthingyoudo_1.jpg

Musical Cinematic Universe! :P

Oh holy shit! *starts connecting music movies together with push pins and yarn*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Underworld: Blood Wars is some properly Underworld-y Underworld. This time, vampire death dealer Selene is...

Nope. Can't go any further. And not because it's crap. It isn't. It's no masterpiece, but as the fifth film in what by this point is probably a love it or hate it franchise, it's arguably a lot better than it should be.

No, I can't go any further because, much to my surprise, it's brought back the neo-Shakespearean shifting allegiences, betrayals and factions that were once a bit of a hallmark of the series. And those of you who won't care about this movie won't care about them; and those of you who do, well, I don't want to get spoiler-y. In fact I've probably already given too much away.

So, let's see what I can say. Kate Beckinsale is still clearly happy to play Selene and as good at it as she ever was, in every way. There are returning characters, and new ones. The supporting cast is as recognisable and solid as ever (in particular, the quite wonderful Lara Pulver is as outstanding as she was as Irene Adler in the BBC's Sherlock). There is violence, sometimes spectacular. There are a handful of gorgeous scenic vistas - in this case, adding Nordic to the mix. There is some iffy CGI, and some much better practical effects. Everything is, of course, blue.

Basically it's a goddamn Underworld movie and you already know if you care or not. And if you do, I don't think it'll let you down. It didn't let me down at all, and even surprised me once or twice. If they continue to churn along at this quality, I'll keep going to see them and I'll feel good about it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wendigo is what the X-Men made him as, there is no variation from this.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That's not a wendigo its that fucker from Hannibal

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I did not know that Matt Damon Great Wall movie was done by Zhang Yimou

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Underworld: Blood Wars is some properly Underworld-y Underworld. This time, vampire death dealer Selene is...

Nope. Can't go any further. And not because it's crap. It isn't. It's no masterpiece, but as the fifth film in what by this point is probably a love it or hate it franchise, it's arguably a lot better than it should be.

No, I can't go any further because, much to my surprise, it's brought back the neo-Shakespearean shifting allegiences, betrayals and factions that were once a bit of a hallmark of the series. And those of you who won't care about this movie won't care about them; and those of you who do, well, I don't want to get spoiler-y. In fact I've probably already given too much away.

So, let's see what I can say. Kate Beckinsale is still clearly happy to play Selene and as good at it as she ever was, in every way. There are returning characters, and new ones. The supporting cast is as recognisable and solid as ever (in particular, the quite wonderful Lara Pulver is as outstanding as she was as Irene Adler in the BBC's Sherlock). There is violence, sometimes spectacular. There are a handful of gorgeous scenic vistas - in this case, adding Nordic to the mix. There is some iffy CGI, and some much better practical effects. Everything is, of course, blue.

Basically it's a goddamn Underworld movie and you already know if you care or not. And if you do, I don't think it'll let you down. It didn't let me down at all, and even surprised me once or twice. If they continue to churn along at this quality, I'll keep going to see them and I'll feel good about it.
    Did it feel like the series finale to you, too? Or at least the last movie with Kate as the lead?
    I can't believe they don't explain the magic at all. lol

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I finally got around to going to the cinema this year (only took me a month) and finally saw La La Land. Liked it a lot, and I might upgrade that 'like' to 'love' in time. One thing I found: that final sequence between Mia and Seb was almost a bit too long for me. Perhaps it's that poignancy and melancholy are very fragile things for me, and once I understood what the sequence was doing it broke the spell somewhat. Also, while few of the songs are all that memorable as songs IMO, I found them pretty much perfect in the context of their scenes and in connection with those characters.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    well, it's either that or a big living rock with a shaggy fringe and a rudimentary grasp of English ("NO KILL I").

• Options
    well, it's either that or a big living rock with a shaggy fringe and a rudimentary grasp of English ("NO KILL I").

Hannibal's playing a role, he can't leave too many obvious clues who he is for authorities. His arch-enemy will find him then
    31025824_c1316x1754+1096+0_200x267.jpg

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I think you're confusing wendigos with something else.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Am I the only one who, while liking the original Disney Beauty and the Beast, completely fails to see the appeal in the live-action (plus CGI) remake? I don't think it's an "Eugh, remakes!" thing, it's more an almost Uncanny Valley-like effect of having a cartoon turned into something supposedly real.

I went and watched the Lion King at the West End, and if I'm being honest, I didn't care for it. I say this as someone who loves most Disney animated films, but the stage version is almost word for word the same as the film, and I just found myself bored (despite the fantastic costumes).

Looking at the Beauty and the Beast trailers, it looks like it is just trying to copy the animated version, and if that is the case (and there are no real differences), I don't really see the point.

Also, there's no way Angela Lansbury's Mrs Potts is going to be topped.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

I think you're confusing wendigos with something else.

NO WITCHYGO THIS TROLLY MOUNTAIN

• Options

Did it feel like the series finale to you, too? Or at least the last movie with Kate as the lead?
    Nope. But then I went in already knowing movie number six is being worked on. I can see that being the last one, but we shall see.

• Options

Nope. But then I went in already knowing movie number six is being worked on. I can see that being the last one, but we shall see.
    That I didn't know, I have no clue where they're going with this, and I kinda want the film series to be over asap so it can rebooted into a Netflix tv show.

• Options

Hannibal's playing a role, he can't leave too many obvious clues who he is for authorities. His arch-enemy will find him then
    31025824_c1316x1754+1096+0_200x267.jpg

Man I could definitley watch Paul Gross being fed his own brains

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    A post with two spoilers being responded to by a post with one spoiler. Could you guys at least say what the TOPIC of the spoilers is outside the tag?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    A post with two spoilers being responded to by a post with one spoiler. Could you guys at least say what the TOPIC of the spoilers is outside the tag?

Show previous quotes shows a post about Underworld: Blood Wars.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    It is a picture of Paul Gross

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Looks more like a leshy

Ed: Devil in the Dark, not Paul Gross

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Unfortunately Paul Gross is an extremely mundane, non magical human man

Oh nevermind

Hobnail on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Wait, how accurate was Until Dawn wrt Wendigos?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it's a wendigo alright, it just happens to be wearing the Brador Set.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

so does selene hit super sayjin level 2 this time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Disney re-doing all of their movies as live action feels like it's kind of saying "Hey Walt. Fuck you"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Wait, how accurate was Until Dawn wrt Wendigos?

Mmmmmmostly. They left out some of the more overtly supernatural aspects, stuck fairly close to traditional physical descriptions, but the few references to shamanic counters and the wendigo's place in Cree cosmology were off.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Disney re-doing all of their movies as live action feels like it's kind of saying "Hey Walt. Fuck you"

Just wait till they do the Lion King with real lions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

so does selene hit super sayjin level 2 this time

Having never been a DBZ guy, I don't really know what that means, but...
    She has this tendency to evolve her powers in some way, at least in her last couple of appearances... and she does so again here.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I think the best part of this movie was when for about 2 minutes all the characters just look at each other and sigh. This is during the middle of the major fight of the movie. The theater busted out laughing at the weirdness of it.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Or a way of saying Hey walt check this out we can take what you used to only be able to do in drawings and make it real. I think that is something walt could have appreciated.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Walt was big on melding live action with animation, I think he'd be very supportive.

This discussion has been closed.