As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread For Discussing the Trump Administration

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Oh cool, is back. So, the president of United Steelworkers 1999, pretty much said that Trump was full of shit, since he's only keeping 800 Carrier jobs in the US, from 1350 jobs total.
    “But he got up there,” Jones said Tuesday, “and, for whatever reason, lied his a-- off.”

In front of a crowd of about 150 supervisors, production workers and reporters, Trump praised Carrier. “Now they’re keeping — actually the number’s over 1,100 people,” he said, “which is so great.”

Jones wondered why the president-elect appeared to be inflating the victory. Trump and Pence, he said, could take credit for rescuing 800 of the Carrier jobs, including nonunion positions.

The President-elect answers (and you know what is coming):

He knows they don't have to pay dues right?

He doesn't care. They criticised him, so he is lashing out. Same with Boeing, same with SNL. He just can't help it. He doesn't even realize that most of the time its best to just say nothing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vince McMahon is going to run in 2020.

He will betray Trump.

Let them fight.

Vince is toxic. His hand are soaked with the blood of young athletes who would be more than willing to speak against him. Its why Linda always ran.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Nobody wrote: »
    The news this morning announced the McMahon pick and used the video of Trump jumping Vince McMahon ringside to go with it.

I've run out of even.

Hey, might as well post her intro song.

(EDIT: Isn't that Giullani on her intro video?)

On actual news, Boeing's stock goes nosedive since Trump attacked them for the cost of the new Air Force One:
    "I think Boeing is doing a little bit of a number. We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money," he said.
    The effects of Trump's comments were immediately apparent Tuesday morning, as Boeing's stock took an immediate sharp turn downward when the market opened.

The company's stock was down more than 1 percent in the first minutes of trading, making it one of the biggest losers on the Dow Jones Industrial Average to open the day.

Trump tweeted in 2013 that he bought stock in Boeing, calling it a “great company.”

Trump spokesman Jason Miller confirmed in a call with reporters on Tuesday that the billionaire owned stock in Boeing, but sold all of it in June.
    And Al Gore went to the Golden Throne to, you know, beg for any action against climate change:

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So we're in for 4 years of Trump taking out personal vendettas agaisnt any company that questions him huh

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So we're in for 4 years of Trump taking out personal vendettas agaisnt any company that questions him huh

The man's conception of "pick your battles" rests entirely on "did they criticize me if y deploy missiles if n on notice watch your back"

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So we're in for 4 years of Trump taking out personal vendettas agaisnt any company one that questions him huh

FTFY. Doesn't matter if its a company or not. Whoever dares to critisise him in public, he'll lash out at.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I don't even think this is a personal vendetta. He is just saying what's on his mind like he always does without consideration for the fact that now people take his words seriously.

like he acts like he is just haggling at the market, and I think he actually believes that's all there is to it.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

I don't even think this is a personal vendetta. He is just saying what's on his mind like he always does without consideration for the fact that now people take his words seriously.

like he acts like he is just haggling at the market, and I think he actually believes that's all there is to it.

Its exactly what it is. BoeingCEO says negative things about Trump - Trump spews bullshit about them instantly. there's no negotiation here just him being a thin skinned asshole

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I just realized that this general crap is the reason why Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize. He convinced the American people to elect him and four-eight years of stable-ish sort-of-sanity internationally from the US instead of cowboy lunacy. Convincing the American public not to be stupid is a massive task which fails over half the time because nobody remembers. And now this country will die and it's a crapshoot how much of the rest of the world we'll take down with us.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    c4fefns8f82v.jpg

It's gonna be a hell of a 4 years. Hope we make it through.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So we're in for 4 years of Trump taking out personal vendettas agaisnt any company one that questions him huh

FTFY. Doesn't matter if its a company or not. Whoever dares to critisise him in public, he'll lash out at.

Which I think will eventually be what trips him up. Right now he's attacking the president of a union chapter in a right to work state with 1300 voluntary members. What happens when he attacks the leader of a group of 30 girl guides or something. There has to be some level of attacks where the punching down phenomena gets to be too much. Not liking punching down beyond a certain level is literally part of human nature.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Trump tweets that caused the union boss to get a bunch of death threats happened a few minutes after he was interviewed on CNN.

tbloxham wrote: »

Which I think will eventually be what trips him up. Right now he's attacking the president of a union chapter in a right to work state with 1300 voluntary members. What happens when he attacks the leader of a group of 30 girl guides or something. There has to be some level of attacks where the punching down phenomena gets to be too much. Not liking punching down beyond a certain level is literally part of human nature.

The girl scouts will just become more of a hated liberal group according to Republicans?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There is no limit.

Don't ever think that there is a limit.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The news this morning announced the McMahon pick and used the video of Trump jumping Vince McMahon ringside to go with it.

I've run out of even.

He had to give the McMahons something, he wants to stay on Vince's good side so he doesn't sue him for ripping off his character.

I've run out of even.

Vince has wanted an in to politics for a long time and Linda is how he planned to get his foot in the door because he has to much baggage.Trump was always,a plan b but I doubt he expected it at such a high level

It's less the cabinet choice and more the video to go with it to hammer home the "holy shit, all that missing to make this a news brief from Idiocracy is the stripper news reader" feeling.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I believe Donald Trump has been the only President to suffer a Stone Cold Stunner.

I don't know. With how poorly he sold it, you could argue, we had to suffer through that Stunner.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any line that Trump could cross with his bullying that will hurt him in any meaningful way. Republicans knew he was a bully and that's what they wanted. They don't have a problem with bullies, just as long as they are the bullies

Like, Trump could go on a Twitter rant calling Jesus weak and low energy and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to his base.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    This is why I'm getting a gun. Anyone and everyone could become a target for any or no reason whatsoever and the brownTrumpshirts will go after them if they can get away with it (and if they're targeting someone the president happens to hate this minute, they will). Even if the police were sympathetic they would become targets for going against the president's will-at-the-moment. Rule of law is ending and there will be no recourse to fight back legally, but I can at least make the Trumpshirts think once about harassing me if they have to worry about bullets flying back at them.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    There is no limit.

There is a limit. Canada's right wing government lost popularity over just this sort of thing. So do say, dictatorial strongmen. Trumps lead is vanishingly small. Every direct insult costs him the votes of these he insults.

Hell, maybe he doesn't care about those votes, maybe he only got 500 of those union voters to vote for him and he loses 300 of those votes this way. Do that 10 times in this area and suddenly you just lost a house seat.

• Options
    Canada is not the United States.

Do not underestimate how hate-driven we can be.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If there is a limit politically, he doesn't know it, and will walk all over that line.

The small guy provoking him is probably the best way to sink him short of people suddenly caring about policy.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    This is why I'm getting a gun. Anyone and everyone could become a target for any or no reason whatsoever and the brownTrumpshirts will go after them if they can get away with it (and if they're targeting someone the president happens to hate this minute, they will). Even if the police were sympathetic they would become targets for going against the president's will-at-the-moment. Rule of law is ending and there will be no recourse to fight back legally, but I can at least make the Trumpshirts think once about harassing me if they have to worry about bullets flying back at them.

If you want to get a gun, by all means do so. I've seen this a lot posted in the last few weeks and I'm pro 2A so you do you.

Please take the time to make sure that you not only study the local laws regarding firearms transportation in your area but also make sure that you spend a lot of time at a shooting range and can pass the base law enforcement marksmanship standards before you decide (if you do) to carry a firearm on your person.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    There is no limit.

There is a limit. Canada's right wing government lost popularity over just this sort of thing. So do say, dictatorial strongmen. Trumps lead is vanishingly small. Every direct insult costs him the votes of these he insults.

Hell, maybe he doesn't care about those votes, maybe he only got 500 of those union voters to vote for him and he loses 300 of those votes this way. Do that 10 times in this area and suddenly you just lost a house seat.

Only if the Republicans are tied to Trump.

If things really start going south over the next four years, in my opinion the Democrats must push the Republican Congress to impeach him, and if they don't it needs to be something that they tie around the neck of every Republican congresscritter.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

We mustnt allow ourselves to fall for a defeatist line of thinking. Without discussing the election, we know that trumps rhetoric does not cost him or gain him votes. Rs gonna R.

However we do know that people dont vote for those who individually attack them. Boeing for example is i'm sure furious with trump.

These personal attacks cost him support at the micro scale. Over 4 years, this barrage of lunacy will cost him significant support in total.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I heard on NPR that Bob Dole may have been behind the Trump Taiwan phone call as he was an early supporter of Trump and is also a paid lobbyist for Taiwan.

If Salon is to be believed (and it's not like they're claiming an elite group of anonymous government badasses on twitter has given them a list of every Russian propaganda outlet in the country), Sen. Dole is a lobbyist for Alston & Bird, a law firm that was paid $140,000 over 7 months by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office of the US, the defacto Taiwanese embassy organization.

So you're welcome, America. :evil:

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    On actual news, Boeing's stock goes nosedive since Trump attacked them for the cost of the new Air Force One:
    "I think Boeing is doing a little bit of a number. We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money," he said.
    The effects of Trump's comments were immediately apparent Tuesday morning, as Boeing's stock took an immediate sharp turn downward when the market opened.

The company's stock was down more than 1 percent in the first minutes of trading, making it one of the biggest losers on the Dow Jones Industrial Average to open the day.

Trump tweeted in 2013 that he bought stock in Boeing, calling it a “great company.”

Trump spokesman Jason Miller confirmed in a call with reporters on Tuesday that the billionaire owned stock in Boeing, but sold all of it in June.

Isn't that market manipulation? Or at least worthy of investigation? Not like it matters. Apparently he can do whatever the fuck with no consequences.

I'm not saying we're going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I wonder how long before Trump finds himself trying to go to war with Silicon Valley companies. His need to attack pretty much everyone who criticizes him doesn't really seem sustainable in the face. But his lack of support for net neutrality is essentially the one issue which can galvanize all of the into uniformly opposing him.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The great thing about Trump's conflicts of interests is that his finances are so opaque it is impossible to even tell how much he would benefit from his tax proposals.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-donald-trumps-web-of-llcs-obscures-his-business-interests-1481193002
    President-elect Donald Trump owns a helicopter in Scotland.

To be more precise, he has a revocable trust that owns 99% of a Delaware limited liability company that owns 99% of another Delaware LLC that owns a Scottish limited company that owns another Scottish company that owns the 26-year-old Sikorsky S-76B helicopter, emblazoned with a red “TRUMP” on the side of its fuselage.
    None of the 96 LLCs examined by the Journal appear to regularly release audited financial statements. That opacity—compounded by Mr. Trump’s decision to break with decades of precedent by declining to release his tax returns—makes it impossible to gauge the full extent of potential conflicts between his business interests and presidential role.
    nbWMlSP.jpg

And what are the chances of Trump insisting the people under him care about their own conflicts of interests?

Couscous on
  • Options
    There is no limit.

After this campaign trust me

there is no bottom

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    There is no limit.

If things really start going south over the next four years, in my opinion the Democrats must push the Republican Congress to impeach him, and if they don't it needs to be something that they tie around the neck of every Republican congresscritter.

The Republicans aren't going to impeach him unless he provably commits a serious crime. Hopeless mismanagement of the country does not count. Mild corruption like using his hotels for government events doesn't count. It has to be an actual crime that would send him to prison if he were not President, and the evidence has to be undeniable. Think Nixon, not Clinton.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Oh cool, is back. So, the president of United Steelworkers 1999, pretty much said that Trump was full of shit, since he's only keeping 800 Carrier jobs in the US, from 1350 jobs total.
    “But he got up there,” Jones said Tuesday, “and, for whatever reason, lied his a-- off.”

In front of a crowd of about 150 supervisors, production workers and reporters, Trump praised Carrier. “Now they’re keeping — actually the number’s over 1,100 people,” he said, “which is so great.”

Jones wondered why the president-elect appeared to be inflating the victory. Trump and Pence, he said, could take credit for rescuing 800 of the Carrier jobs, including nonunion positions.

The President-elect answers (and you know what is coming):

He knows they don't have to pay dues right?

He doesn't care. They criticised him, so he is lashing out. Same with Boeing, same with SNL. He just can't help it. He doesn't even realize that most of the time its best to just say nothing.

Man, I know people often protest outside the white house, and I've seen videos of just the craziest stuff people have put on, like little dramas and plays, against Obama. I can't wait until Trump can't stand the people mocking him only a few hundred feet from him and literally just spends like 2 hours a day yelling at people from the Oval Office window.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    There is no limit.

The Republicans aren't going to impeach him unless he provably commits a serious crime. Hopeless mismanagement of the country does not count. Mild corruption like using his hotels for government events doesn't count. It has to be an actual crime that would send him to prison if he were not President, and the evidence has to be undeniable. Think Nixon, not Clinton.
    Only thing that would turn them on him is a live camera feed of some dead girl/living boy-scenario or a hypothetical Warren Buffet-style change of mind. I.e. nothing in the realm of reality.
    They'll let him swim in the sea of attention he craves, while he rubberstamps their "policies"; the disassembly and sellout of America.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    There is no limit.

Only thing that would turn them on him is a live camera feed of some dead girl/living boy-scenario or a hypothetical Warren Buffet-style change of mind. I.e. nothing in the realm of reality.
    They'll let him swim in the sea of attention he craves, while he rubberstamps their "policies"; the deconstruction and sellout of America.

Not only rubberstamping their policies, but providing media chaff to cover the things the Serious Republicans are doing. While Paul Ryan is dismantling the shaky US healthcare system, Trump will be calling Oprah Winfrey a whore on Twitter, which will suck up all the media attention.

• Options

We mustnt allow ourselves to fall for a defeatist line of thinking. Without discussing the election, we know that trumps rhetoric does not cost him or gain him votes. Rs gonna R.

However we do know that people dont vote for those who individually attack them. Boeing for example is i'm sure furious with trump.

These personal attacks cost him support at the micro scale. Over 4 years, this barrage of lunacy will cost him significant support in total.

Or it will energize the worst people even more.

Giving up is not an option, but this is one of the worst case scenarios for the US, and the people involved are mostly limited by time, knowledge, and technology. They don't have ethical qualms. Their own morals are for sale.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Hi, no, this is not the place for saying you're going to buy a gun so you can shoot the president if he comes after you.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    There is no limit.

They'll let him swim in the sea of attention he craves, while he rubberstamps their "policies"; the deconstruction and sellout of America.

Not only rubberstamping their policies, but providing media chaff to cover the things the Serious Republicans are doing. While Paul Ryan is dismantling the shaky US healthcare system, Trump will be calling Oprah Winfrey a whore on Twitter, which will suck up all the media attention.

Trump doesn't really go for language like "whore." Instead, he'd say "Some people are saying Oprah Winfrey is a lesbian, and she is very racist against white people. Sad!"

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Yeah, pretty much. Not that it matters much compared with the Pruitt pick.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Hi, no, this is not the place for saying you're going to buy a gun so you can shoot the president if he comes after you.

An actual smart thing to plan to do here is that you should document all interactions you have with the federal government after trump takes power. If you fall victim to the early stages of some overarching horrible plot you need to tell journalists and your representatives. If your local representative and senator are republican, call them anyway. If you dont trust them, call the democratic representative who works nearest to you.

Speak out, stand up, and document everything. Planning to fight is useless.

• Options
    There is no limit.

Trump doesn't really go for language like "whore." Instead, he'd say "Some people are saying Oprah Winfrey is a lesbian, and she is very racist against white people. Sad!"

He does in leaked private conversations. And the one good thing about corrupt regimes filled with the greedy? The greedy cant keep secrets.

• Options

Or it will energize the worst people even more.

Giving up is not an option, but this is one of the worst case scenarios for the US, and the people involved are mostly limited by time, knowledge, and technology. They don't have ethical qualms. Their own morals are for sale.

There are no uninvolved 'worst people'. The worst people are highly engaged, and vote at high levels. They are old, white and have little elese to do. The kkk voted for trump. There is no super secret double kkk which thinks hes not tough on black people enough.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I can't even imagine where you're getting this from? The truth is that right-wing extremists are energized, emboldened and more or less endorsed by the powers-soon-to-be. If you're not a white male, or if you're going to make any sort of waves or statment against the current "movement", you're probably going to need a gun in the next 4 years.

This discussion has been closed.