Options

The Trump Administration Thread For Discussing the Trump Administration

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    I'm morbidly curious if Donald will continue his current tack of tweeting.

Like, he'll do stuff that'll turn out not so great, and then later he'll tweet about how terrible it was and just blame congress or the media for it.

He'll continue it because it's an effective way of leading his supporters.

For instance, over half of Republican voters now think Trump won the popular vote.

We have always been at war with Oceania.

Wait. I thought we are Oceania?

Exactly, we have always been at war with Eastasia. That;s what he said.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Yeah fight obnoxiousness with obnoxiousness, sure, but make sure you don't come off as shutting down someone's ability to express their opinion, like yelling down an invited speaker at a university. Because that happens and it looks real bad.

Ffffuuuuuuuck that. Milo and his ilk can get fucked, if they speak even one word aloud in public that's one word too many.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Yeah fight obnoxiousness with obnoxiousness, sure, but make sure you don't come off as shutting down someone's ability to express their opinion, like yelling down an invited speaker at a university. Because that happens and it looks real bad.
    Ffffuuuuuuuck that. Milo and his ilk can get fucked, if they speak even one word aloud in public that's one word too many.
    But but but the high road!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    But but but the high road!

The high road is only there so we can rain boulders and arrows down upon our enemies from above!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Like, he'll do stuff that'll turn out not so great, and then later he'll tweet about how terrible it was and just blame congress or the media for it.

For instance, over half of Republican voters now think Trump won the popular vote.

1984 was too optimistic. Orwell still imagined them destroying evidence of the past instead of them just leaving all the evidence around while still pretending history was completely different.

"We have always been at war with Eastasia."
    "But that monument says we are allied with them and nobody is bothering to change the monument."
    "So?"

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

1984 was too optimistic. Orwell still imagined them destroying evidence of the past instead of them just leaving all the evidence around while still pretending history was completely different.

"But that monument says we are allied with them and nobody is bothering to change the monument."
    "So?"
    "Says who"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

"So?"
    "Says who"

The man in the high castle.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

"So?"
    "Says who"
    Look, people understand that sitting around the table or whatever you aren't going to have all the "facts"

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Local news covering Trump's Alabama rally. "We're going to go back to the old days!" to a wall of white faces. Buy American, Retire American. Then the anchor says "Trump has said that he will keep holding rallies even after moving into the White House."

Haha

Hah

Hahhaha I knew it was going to happen but of course it doesn't feel anymore comforting to hear "President plans ongoing series of fascist theatre" repeated in the news

The man is literally addicted to attention.

Gonna be real fun in 4 years when people point out he hasn't done shit since he was so busy going around getting his ego jerked off by the masses.

Honestly him not doing anything for four years is the best case scenario here.

I'm hoping he accidentally pocket vetoes a bunch of Republicans legislation because he can't be bothered to come in and sign it.

Unsigned legislation automatically goes into effect barring a veto after 10 days (excluding Sundays). The pocket veto is only a thing if they aren't in session. Seeing how they are never not in session anymore the pocket veto kind of no longer exists.

The non-recesses were only a thing to prevent Obama from filling empty positions.

Recesses will absolutely come back now that the President ran as a Republican.

Why do you think Mitch McConnell wants to give up power?

Because the Legislature trends toward ceding power to the executive, and this will allow them to fill benches without having to vote on them or give Democrats the chance to debate.

If I were the Republicans in Congress I would nuke the filibuster, pass a bunch of awful shit, then fuck off to the Caymans and let Trump do whatever the fuck until mid-terms.

Nah, if you're the congress/senate Republicans, you go either one of two paths here...

1) Play it smart. Threaten the democrats that if they dont go along with your tax cuts and business stuff and privatization, then you'll nuke the filibuster and let Trump and friends pass a tonne of regressive social nonsense. Gamble on the world economy being so shakey that America seems awesome by comparison to pull you through 2018 and maybe prevent loss of the senate in 2020. By that point, you'll need to recalculate, but you'll have done so much damage to the middle class that you might be set.
    2) Gamble on complacency. Focus ENTIRELY on voter suppression. Ban black people from getting drivers licenses. Retroactively remove citizenship from people whose parents weren't US citizens at the time of their birth. Insist that you must have lived in a state for 10 years to vote in it. Raise the voting age to 25, 30 for women.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So #2 sounds fucking stupid because my dad came in on an H1-B and is a PhD. He is basically American in everything except legal classification.
    I couldn't quite remember the name of the provision and had to google it and well.
    http://www.workpermit.com/news/trump-says-he-will-add-further-restrictions-h1b-and-l1-visa-schemes-20161218
    I keep forgetting that "fucking stupid" is not beyond Trump though. Because getting qualified people to work in your economy to make it better is not American enough, I guess.
    He's been getting some hostility too. Lest I be tempted to forget that Trump's base is racially motivated.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So #2 sounds fucking stupid because my dad came in on an H1-B and is a PhD. He is basically American in everything except legal classification.
    I couldn't quite remember the name of the provision and had to google it and well.
    http://www.workpermit.com/news/trump-says-he-will-add-further-restrictions-h1b-and-l1-visa-schemes-20161218
    I keep forgetting that "fucking stupid" is not beyond Trump though. Because getting qualified people to work in your economy to make it better is not American enough, I guess.
    He's been getting some hostility too. Lest I be tempted to forget that Trump's base is racially motivated.
    Tech companies have been blatantly abusing H1-Bs and then complaining to Congress that there aren't enough qualified people who will work for what would like to pay so they need to loosen the restrictions on H1-Bs.

Although I will be shocked if Trump actually does anything about them, given what we've seen so far.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    He had a giant meeting with the tech world recently, I'm sure H1-B's came up. He's been pro on campaign and it fits into the 'legal immigration is ok' narritive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Work Visas are how he gets employees for his Florida resort. He's abused them for nearly all positions there, and has only contacted the largest local employment agency 1 time for an emergency banquet server in more than a decade.

But you know, "hire American" was one of his most used slogans.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Work Visas are how he gets employees for his Florida resort. He's abused them for nearly all positions there, and has only contacted the largest local employment agency 1 time for an emergency banquet server in more than a decade.

But that's just your fault for taking this things he says at face value.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    right, it was an euphenism

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Sure, Trump's bad, but he wouldn't support torturing puppies, right?

Um...about that...
    Klippenstein's organization has also, as Mother Jones reported, worked to fight legislation which would regulate puppy mills, factories in which puppies are bred to be sold in pet shops and malls. The bill that Protect the Harvest fought against proposed requiring "large-scale dog breeding operations" to "provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space."

The dogs who are forced to breed new litters in puppy mills may go their whole lives without leaving the cages they live in — sometimes never touching grass or meeting people. One former puppy mill employee who wrote about his experiences in Vice, described it as "an industry of torture" where hundreds of dogs, many of them sick, live in cages piled on top of each other.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Non-US Latinos do consider themselves "Americans" in the strictest sense :-P

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    He had a giant meeting with the tech world recently, I'm sure H1-B's came up. He's been pro on campaign and it fits into the 'legal immigration is ok' narritive.

Techies are just as angry about foreign workers "taking their jobs" as people in the construction trade. (Not my opinion, but white male techie Trump voters might have an issue with it if they aren't completely gone.)

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Techies are just as angry about foreign workers "taking their jobs" as people in the construction trade. (Not my opinion, but white male techie Trump voters might have an issue with it if they aren't completely gone.)

Call center workers, especially.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Um...about that...
    Klippenstein's organization has also, as Mother Jones reported, worked to fight legislation which would regulate puppy mills, factories in which puppies are bred to be sold in pet shops and malls. The bill that Protect the Harvest fought against proposed requiring "large-scale dog breeding operations" to "provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space."

The dogs who are forced to breed new litters in puppy mills may go their whole lives without leaving the cages they live in — sometimes never touching grass or meeting people. One former puppy mill employee who wrote about his experiences in Vice, described it as "an industry of torture" where hundreds of dogs, many of them sick, live in cages piled on top of each other.

Standing firmly for the torture of puppies

You know, that would have looked over the top as a cartoon villain 2015...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Tech also deeply resents how Brendan Eich got ousted from Mozilla, FWIW.

• Options

Um...about that...

Trump is the kind of villain that lazy kid's writers like to create. Flamboyant, no redeeming features, evil plans are nothing that any real-world villain would bother with because they are just too obvious.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    TryCatcher wrote: »

That seems like a bold statement. Sentiment on the ground seemed to be solidly along the lines of "Fuck that guy."

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Um...about that...

Trump is the kind of villain that lazy kid's writers like to create. Flamboyant, no redeeming features, evil plans are nothing that any real-world villain would bother with because they are just too obvious.

You know what, at least Captain Planet's villains got style.

Well, some of them.

More style than Trump, anyway.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

That seems like a bold statement. Sentiment on the ground seemed to be solidly along the lines of "Fuck that guy."

There was a contingent of techies upset that he was held accountable for his retrograde views. I remember reading a number of "you just don't agree with his position" statements, which while true, were also abstracting the disagreement to the point of meaninglessness.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

There was a contingent of techies upset that he was held accountable for his retrograde views. I remember reading a number of "you just don't agree with his position" statements, which while true, were also abstracting the disagreement to the point of meaninglessness.

Sure, but it was by no means a monolithic sentiment.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It keeps popping up whenever you get techies doing something goosey, like Torvalds and his highly questionable statements about women in open source. Sure, it's not monolithic, but it's pervasive and reoccurring.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Um...about that...

Well, some of them.

The difference between a villain and a super villain is presentation.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Looten Plunder was a better written character.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I was trying to remember his name, and came up with Horace Greedly for some reason.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Um...about that...

Well, some of them.

Trump is basically Looten Plunder, as Plunder was a stereotypical 80s robber baron.

Whoops, didn't read Seal's comment.

Mr Khan on
  • Options

It keeps popping up whenever you get techies doing something goosey, like Torvalds and his highly questionable statements about women in open source. Sure, it's not monolithic, but it's pervasive and reoccurring.

What did he say? I googled it and found nothing.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I was trying to remember his name, and came up with Horace Greedly for some reason.

Hoggish Greedly

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Hoggish Greedly

Voiced by Ed Asner, too. Show had a surprising amount of starpower.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Isn't that pretty confirmation that Trump will have a private security detail?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Can a president intentionally endanger himself?

For example, if Trump does have a private security detail, and it is determined that some of his security choices are 'compromised' (for example, by Russian influences), can he choose to ignore that and keep this individual on his 'private' team?

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Isn't that pretty confirmation that Trump will have a private security detail?

Yeah. Guy basically said "Oh no this story is total bullshit and also 100% true."

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Almost certainly. He runs the executive branch and his security is an executive matter

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump had his own security detail on the campaign besides the SS anyways, remember? Hell, his fanbase thinks that it makes him less likely to get assasinated, since "the feds had JFK killed".

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Almost certainly. He runs the executive branch and his security is an executive matter

It's actually a cloudier area than you might expect. By law, the sitting president and vice president can't refuse protection by the secret service. Whether that extends to individual actions by the secret service to protect the president, or makes it so the president can't do something like dissolve the secret service is up for interpretation.

This discussion has been closed.