Options

The Trump Administration Thread For Discussing the Trump Administration

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    glithert wrote: »
    Why is Donnie still holding rallies?

Why am I asking questions I already know the answer to?

I imagine that, aside from of course furthering his own business interests, it's the only part of being a politician he'll enjoy. He's a narcissist, so he feeds off even negative attention and loves the adulation that come from rallies.

Damn it. We're not supposed to answer rhetorical questions!

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Trump's campaign alone probably cemented latinos for Democrats. Not in, like, black numbers but in good ones.
    Maybe I'm misunderstandng you, but I'm not seeing it? ~30% voted for Trump.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/the-latino-vote-didnt-overwhelm-trump-because-were-not-all-the-same

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So I might have missed it being brought up, but has there been any discussion about Wheeler leaving the FCC on Jan. 20th. Last I heard Trump didn't care for net neutrality. So we're probably going to get another shit show.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Trump's campaign alone probably cemented latinos for Democrats. Not in, like, black numbers but in good ones.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/the-latino-vote-didnt-overwhelm-trump-because-were-not-all-the-same

Yes, that's a small number. Trump's support is still overwhelmingly white and his administration is gonna be racist as fuck against latinos.

Again, not black numbers but 70% is a commanding lead.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Yes, that's a small number. Trump's support is still overwhelmingly white and his administration is gonna be racist as fuck against latinos.

For comparison, Bush got 35% and 44% of the Hispanic vote in 2000 and 2004, respectively (the big jump is kinda weird in a way that I'm tempted to attribute partly to his incumbency during wartime).

Then McCain and Romney got 31% and 27%, respectively (again, fairly noticeable jump in favor of the incumbent).

So the GOP has lost statistically significant ground in recent years, but whether or not Trump's campaign solidified the drop we saw in Obama's election remains to be seen (since it is a small one), especially since he didn't get any less than Obama's competition got.

EDIT: I should note I'm using Roper Center for these numbers.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    gripgrip Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So about this quote.
    "You people were vicious, violent, screaming, 'Where's the wall? We want the wall!' Screaming, 'Prison! Prison! Lock her up!' I mean you are going crazy. I mean, you were nasty and mean and vicious and you wanted to win, right? But now, you're mellow and you're cool and you're not nearly as vicious or violent, right? Because we won, right?"

You need to watch this Daily Show bit.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/i9tog6/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-trump-lets-the-truth-come-out-post-election

Seriously, watch this. Truth Trump is amazing. I can't decide if he is actively trying to calm things down, or legitimately doesn't understand what he unleashed.

It's more that he doesn't care. People, even at this stage of the game, keep underestimating just how severe his personality disorders are. When he sees an opportunity to brag he takes it, regardless of whether or not the boast involves lying or telling the truth. The specific content of a sentence means absolutely nothing to him as long as its general thrust is "I am awesome."

This is actually pretty relevant to his upcoming administration, because Trump will say or do anything if he thinks it will stroke his ego. This will absolutely, at some point, lead to bitter conflict with his own party. In one of the clips from that segment he openly acknowledges it. One of the few plays that the Democratic Party has is to exploit this as much as possible.

www.goodbyecody.com
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

It's about what evangelicals are for republicans since Reagan to put it in perspective.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    grip wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So about this quote.
    "You people were vicious, violent, screaming, 'Where's the wall? We want the wall!' Screaming, 'Prison! Prison! Lock her up!' I mean you are going crazy. I mean, you were nasty and mean and vicious and you wanted to win, right? But now, you're mellow and you're cool and you're not nearly as vicious or violent, right? Because we won, right?"

You need to watch this Daily Show bit.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/i9tog6/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-trump-lets-the-truth-come-out-post-election

Seriously, watch this. Truth Trump is amazing. I can't decide if he is actively trying to calm things down, or legitimately doesn't understand what he unleashed.

It's more that he doesn't care. People, even at this stage of the game, keep underestimating just how severe his personality disorders are. When he sees an opportunity to brag he takes it, regardless of whether or not the boast involves lying or telling the truth. The specific content of a sentence means absolutely nothing to him as long as its general thrust is "I am awesome."

This is actually pretty relevant to his upcoming administration, because Trump will say or do anything if he thinks it will stroke his ego. This will absolutely, at some point, lead to bitter conflict with his own party. In one of the clips from that segment he openly acknowledges it. One of the few plays that the Democratic Party has is to exploit this as much as possible.

Uh huh. Problem with that is that Trump has the base and the rest of the party doesn't. How many people ended up voting for that Utah guy again?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Speaking off, while Trump goes on another "the press are liars" tangent:
    Donald Trump repeated a nickname mocking one of his formal presidential rivals at his rally on Friday night, calling Evan McMullin “McMuffin.”

While reminiscing about watching the polls close on election night, Trump referred to the conservative third-party McMullin as a “character that nobody ever saw before, nobody ever heard of him before."

When someone in the audience chimed in to call the former Independent candidate “McMuffin,” Trump repeated it.

"That’s correct, that’s his name, he said Evan McMuffin, do you believe this?” Trump said. “I never heard of this guy before. Nobody did. And the polls said he’s even with Donald Trump. My wife said, she looked at the television and she said he’s not even with you. Believe me, he’s not even.”

“Anyway, so we win.”

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    fucking jesus

he's gonna bring the draft back isn't he.

Honestly it's long overdue if you consider the current middle east conflict compared to previous ones like Vietnam. We'd probably be long since pulled out if had been though. And it's probably political suicide to do it.

The draft is not coming back. Untrained grunts are useless in the modern military. We're way past the point where you can throw someone through basic in a month, give em a rifle and point them at the bad guy.

The one with the rifle shoots! The one without, follows him! When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle and shoots!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    fucking jesus

he's gonna bring the draft back isn't he.

Honestly it's long overdue if you consider the current middle east conflict compared to previous ones like Vietnam. We'd probably be long since pulled out if had been though. And it's probably political suicide to do it.

The draft is not coming back. Untrained grunts are useless in the modern military. We're way past the point where you can throw someone through basic in a month, give em a rifle and point them at the bad guy.

The one with the rifle shoots! The one without, follows him! When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle and shoots!

Trump would find the draft will have the unintended "side effect" of drafting whites.

The Pentagon is so multicultural. The halls were full of silent, devastated faces on Nov 10.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    They could exempt white people from compulsory service. I am sure having a large majority black and latin enlisted core couldn't cause any long term problems for them.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    They could exempt white people from compulsory service. I am sure having a large majority black and latin enlisted core couldn't cause any long term problems for them.

Come on now. Seeing how they deal with global climate change, its clear they think "long term consequences" are a chinese hoax

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Come on now. Seeing how they deal with global climate change, its clear they think "long term consequences" are a chinese hoax

Too late for that.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Joy Reid on MSNBC this morning reported that Twitter was left out of Trumps tech meeting because the price of admission was for them to create a "crooked Hillary" emoji and they refused.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Joy Reid on MSNBC this morning reported that Twitter was left out of Trumps tech meeting because the price of admission was for them to create a "crooked Hillary" emoji and they refused.

I can't even

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    So I might have missed it being brought up, but has there been any discussion about Wheeler leaving the FCC on Jan. 20th. Last I heard Trump didn't care for net neutrality. So we're probably going to get another shit show.

No, don't think it got brought up in here.

Losing Wheeler sucks for sure - he's been doing good work to try and rein in telecom bullshit. (The irony being that his previous job was a telecom lobbyist, hence the title of the internet policy thread).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Nope. I'm still not ready for this new fucked up reality. Back to the sand.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    He truly has been the best babysitting Dingo.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    #MAGA!

Panda4You on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Good on Twitter for refusing, but it's a no brainer. They'd be inviting a hell of a lawsuit if they created an emoji that specifically targeted an individual negatively.

Now if only they'd ban Trump'd account. After Vanity Fair's subscription boost after Trump had a tantrum about their review of his restaurant, I'd bet Twitter would net gain users after banning him. Hell, I'd sign up for Twitter in a heartbeat if they banned him.

Zomro on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »

Good on Twitter for refusing, but it's a no brainer. They'd be inviting a hell of a lawsuit if they created an emoji that specifically targeted an individual negatively.

Now if only they'd ban Trump'd account. After Vanity Fair's subscription boost after Trump had a tantrum about their review of his restaurant, I'd bet Twitter would net gain users after banning him. Hell, I'd sign up for Twitter in a heartbeat if they banned him.

They probably won't ban his twitter account since he'd use it as an excuse to sue them and take over the company.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Why do they want a crooked Hillary emoji after winning the election?

This isn't good.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »

This isn't good.

Because he's a petty asshole that doesn't understand that Hillary Clinton is officially inconsequential... Because he's an idiot...

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

They probably won't ban his twitter account since he'd use it as an excuse to sue them and take over the company.

Twitter is worth more money than Trump how's he going to sue them and take over the company

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »

This isn't good.

Because he's a petty asshole that doesn't understand that Hillary Clinton is officially inconsequential... Because he's an idiot...

Also because one side of that coin wants to culturally institutionalize the idea that Clinton, and by extension the Democrats, and by extension Jews, are a criminal underclass.

Also JFC... that is a small thing, but it is nevertheless the administration directly punishing a company for refusing arbitrary marching orders. That is terrifying - how many companies do you think would have the spine to accept restricted access to the White House in exchange for not bending to a petty demand? I'm betting the answer is 'not every one' at a minimum, and that could turn into a rat race real quick the moment somebody crumbles and is rewarded for it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    If they'd banned his account last year I don't think he'd have won the election.

Viskod on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Twitter is worth more money than Trump how's he going to sue them and take over the company

Backing from an alt right billionaire

• Options

If this was true why hasn't the alt right just made up a lawsuit about the NYT and taken them down? I'm skeptical that things work this way

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

I'd buy a share of stock if they banned him, tbh.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

If this was true why hasn't the alt right just made up a lawsuit about the NYT and taken them down? I'm skeptical that things work this way

It worked that way for Gawker.

EDIT: Gawker was a "legit" lawsuit though, not just made up from scratch.

Dunder on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Trump's still escalating shit with China - he just accused them of stealing that research drone.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Dunder wrote: »

It worked that way for Gawker.

EDIT: Gawker was a "legit" lawsuit though, not just made up from scratch.

It was legit. The idiots who ran it acted a fool in court and got what they deserved but the loathing I have for fucking Gawker is for another thread.

Also unless a crime is being committed then a sex tape isn't newsworthy. Period.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Trump's still escalating shit with China - he just accused them of stealing that research drone.

*nods*

*nudges minute hand of doom clock*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Don't worry, he'll bomb it back. Get. Get it back.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

In fairness, they kinda did steal the research drone, as it was supposedly in international waters at the time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    But they did steal that research drone. We were preparing to take it out of the water and they sent some dudes in a boat over and snagged it. In international waters too

Edit- like there's no way you can spin that as not being stealing

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Except Trump settles every lawsuit where he's in the wrong and pretends it never happened.
    I want him to sue Twitter. Please let this happen. Seeing him behave like a petty litigious asshole in the public eye is just the thing he needs, especially if it's Twitter that's taking the moral and legal high ground. That would be the perfect start to his Presidency.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Edit: nevermind this is off topic

override367 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That Trump is a petty litigious asshole is not some new revelation, it was extremely apparent during the election, and continuing that behavior is not something I expect will damage him in any substantial way

This discussion has been closed.