As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone make a new [gifv] thread

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    It has caused so many accidents, but the rail company won't pay to raise it up because "it'd cost too much money, the state/county/city should pay for it"

There's no reason they couldn't raise it up either, they just don't want to. It'd cost them money. Cheaper to kill people and damage property.
    Raising a rail bridge isn't an easy job. It's do-able, but it's not like making a road a few inches higher.
    Frankly it'd be easier, faster and cheaper to make the road lower.

It's generally held as a stupidity tax, since they have multiple signs, hanging bars, and more signs saying 'if you heard something hit the top of your vehicle, this next one is going to rip it off, don't say we didn't warn you'.

If they actually fined every person who did it (driving without care and attention is the least they could hit them with, and they'd have a hard time fighting it), they could put it towards a 'lower the road fund'.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It has caused so many accidents, but the rail company won't pay to raise it up because "it'd cost too much money, the state/county/city should pay for it"

There's no reason they couldn't raise it up either, they just don't want to. It'd cost them money. Cheaper to kill people and damage property.
    Raising a rail bridge isn't an easy job. It's do-able, but it's not like making a road a few inches higher.

It's generally held as a stupidity tax, since they have multiple signs, hanging bars, and more signs saying 'if you heard something hit the top of your vehicle, this next one is going to rip it off, don't say we didn't warn you'.

If they actually fined every person who did it (driving without care and attention is the least they could hit them with, and they'd have a hard time fighting it), they could put it towards a 'lower the road fund'.

they can't lower the road (the area lightly floods in the winter and spring), it'd be far easier/cheaper to raise the bridge

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

they can't lower the road (the area lightly floods in the winter and spring), it'd be far easier/cheaper to raise the bridge

Yea, this is the bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/byEmfEJF59P2

Note the water just over to the left. Also that funny youtube linked earlier had a bride that was 11' 8". This one is almost a full foot shorter.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HERE'S PUPPER

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Would a single one of those trucks hit the bridge?

Because it looks like they're all hitting the sign.

yes.

They are hitting the sign because the sign is the same height as the bridge and the sign is easier to replace than the bridge

It looks like the sign hangs a good 6 inches below the bottom of the bridge. I admit it could be entirely the camera angle, but I know I've seen bridges where the warning signs have a lower clearance than the overhangs.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The clearance is required by law to be at least three inches below the actual clearance of the the overpass to account for bumps etc

• Options

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    That would be real interesting were it real.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I awesomed for the animation.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I awesomed for the animation.

A likely story.

lets see if they believe it down at the station.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    In that trick GIF you can see that the sewage truck still hits the bridge. you can see the guard rails jiggle. If you're in a truck you should know the height of it, and if the bridge is well noted for how tall it is, well tough luck.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Who wants a game of Hungry Hungry Humans?

• Options

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That dude's probably got buns of steel to keep that upright.

Right? Am I bad at physics?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Look at hte frames he has attached to the bike for the cables to hook on to. The vast majority of the weight of the bike and rider is below the attachment point.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    And scorpions! However, I've never had an arachnid the size of a large dog lunge out of the darkness and devour the animal I was observing, so I think I'm still in good shape here.

Wolf spiders are still terrifying even if they're only tarantula sized, especially if they're carrying their babies.

Doubly so if you kill them on a tile floor.

It is kind of surprising just how many people have had this experience.

THEY GO EVERYWHERE

I learned to always have a can of Raid handy. I hate that I experience that enough to actually make preparations and have them pay off.

• Options

Look at hte frames he has attached to the bike for the cables to hook on to. The vast majority of the weight of the bike and rider is below the attachment point.

Still gotta have good core strength or else you're gonna lean a bit

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    That's an "I am so keeping this" face if I ever saw one

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's an "I am so keeping this" face if I ever saw one

Yeah, and the point to himself and the nod. The batter is probably just happy his fuckup didn't result in smashing someone's skull.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Doing a trick shot like that actually causes a guy on a wheel board to spawn, no matter where you are. It's just one of those unexplained phenomena.

klemming on
  • Options
    I just assumed that guy lies in the Dude Perfect warehouse all the time?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

@Dubh

• Options
    ferrets are funny animals

they're like mini puppers mixed with a dash of cat

had one that used to sleep on me when I took a nap

11/10 they're good doges

• Options

Puppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppy!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

5xClUqZ.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

yes.

They are hitting the sign because the sign is the same height as the bridge and the sign is easier to replace than the bridge

It looks like the sign hangs a good 6 inches below the bottom of the bridge. I admit it could be entirely the camera angle, but I know I've seen bridges where the warning signs have a lower clearance than the overhangs.
    Why don’t they fix it?
    Depends on who “they” are and on what “fix” means. The North Carolina Railroad Company owns the train trestle, and their concern is primarily with keeping the trains running and keeping them running safely. So their concern is mainly with reducing the impact of the truck crashes on the actual structure of the train trestle. As far as they are concerned, they solved that problem by installing the crash beam.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

yes.

Why don’t they fix it?
    Depends on who “they” are and on what “fix” means. The North Carolina Railroad Company owns the train trestle, and their concern is primarily with keeping the trains running and keeping them running safely. So their concern is mainly with reducing the impact of the truck crashes on the actual structure of the train trestle. As far as they are concerned, they solved that problem by installing the crash beam.

They should put up a sign warning that there's a warning sign coming up.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

It's a railroad bridge, isn't it?

if it's a freight train railway, that means the maximum incline it can have is about 1,5%

raising the bridge would be very expensive because you have to also raise a very long section of track.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

if it's a freight train railway, that means the maximum incline it can have is about 1,5%

raising the bridge would be very expensive because you have to also raise a very long section of track.

It's raised an earlier point, they could just extend that further.

• Options

You also have to shut down the length of track you're working on

rail isn't like road, you can't just detour a block over. Closing a section of rail costs a ridiculous amount of money.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Can’t the road be lowered?
    That would be prohibitively expensive because a sewer main runs just a few feet below the road bed. That sewer main also dates back about a hundred years and, again, at the time there were no real standards for minimum clearance for railroad underpasses.

Can’t the bridge be raised?
    Here, too, the question is who would want to pay the millions of dollars to raise the tracks a couple of feet? To accomplish this, the grade of the tracks would have to changed on both sides of the trestle, probably for several miles. That would require rebuilding all trestles in Durham. And NS would have to shut down this busy track for months. I don’t think they are interested in that idea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Can they make the road wider?

It won't help, I just wanna see the reactions.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Actually, rerouting makes a little bit of sense to me. Divert the road (highway?) so that it skirts that low point, lessening the opportunities for flooding/snow closures, and when you're doing that, go up and over the railroad instead of under.
    It would cost a hell of a lot, but with some actual benefits, and if we are going to invest in infrastructure (hah!), that may be a way to go.

• Options
    edited February 2017

That would be prohibitively expensive because a sewer main runs just a few feet below the road bed. That sewer main also dates back about a hundred years and, again, at the time there were no real standards for minimum clearance for railroad underpasses.

Here, too, the question is who would want to pay the millions of dollars to raise the tracks a couple of feet? To accomplish this, the grade of the tracks would have to changed on both sides of the trestle, probably for several miles. That would require rebuilding all trestles in Durham. And NS would have to shut down this busy track for months. I don’t think they are interested in that idea.

That's the other bridge, not mine.

Our bridge could be raised, but, the train company wants the state and county to pay for it.

Edit: also the track where I live isn't super busy, maybe a few trains a month at the most

that specific branch is for local deliveries for like the 2 companies that still have their own track lines that pull off it

bowen on
  • Options

That's the other bridge, not mine.

Our bridge could be raised, but, the train company wants the state and county to pay for it.

Edit: also the track where I live isn't super busy, maybe a few trains a month at the most

that specific branch is for local deliveries for like the 2 companies that still have their own track lines that pull off it

what do you mean by "raised in an earlier point"? Traintracks have such super gradual inclines that they're basically impossible to see

and, well, yeah why wouldn't the train company want the state or county to pay for it? They are after all the ones responsible for the road.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.