As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone make a new [gifv] thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    it's kind of surprising that doesn't happen more often in real baseball

you'd think so, but pitchers know that one to the dome can end your career so they're paying real close attention

batters are also generally trying to hit the ball at a much higher angle than that, and not directly at a player

yeah but the reaction time needed to react to a ball coming off a baseball bat directly at you at that distance is just barely humanly possible so I'd expect to see a few more notorious accidents

... so I did some quick internet research and actually it's much more common than I thought, found an article written in 2015 saying there'd been 7 pitchers hit in the head since 2013

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There's probably many more instances of pitchers catching a ball than incidents of them getting domed by a batted ball, though.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I would think that knocking the other team's pitcher out of the game off-schedule would be a strategic advantage. Lumping one back into the pitcher seems like a good -- though horrific -- idea.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Oh good, the Baseball/Bloodbowl mashup game seems to be coming along well.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh great, now there's flopping in baseball.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    it's kind of surprising that doesn't happen more often in real baseball

you'd think so, but pitchers know that one to the dome can end your career so they're paying real close attention

batters are also generally trying to hit the ball at a much higher angle than that, and not directly at a player

yeah but the reaction time needed to react to a ball coming off a baseball bat directly at you at that distance is just barely humanly possible so I'd expect to see a few more notorious accidents

... so I did some quick internet research and actually it's much more common than I thought, found an article written in 2015 saying there'd been 7 pitchers hit in the head since 2013

Pitchers are still in motion after they throw the ball and often move out of the way, or even catch a line drive if they're fast/lucky enough. It's the really unlucky ones who get hit, because the ball has to be at just the right angle and they have to be in just the right position.

7 in two years, compared to the number of pitches, is really low.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    CraftyPowerlessBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is that his front pass tire blowing out there right before he cuts that turn?

That's the front driver's side wheel locking up under brakes and then the remaining three wheels also all locking up.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Oh, here we go again...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Human brain. Wired for fastest possible reactions, calculating power and survival ratio. Comes with bugs. So easy to break.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Eye see what you did there.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Human brain. Wired for fastest possible reactions, calculating power and survival ratio. Comes with bugs. So easy to break.

Abathur?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    What a strange cat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    There's probably many more instances of pitchers catching a ball than incidents of them getting domed by a batted ball, though.

https://youtu.be/N94vJZF5PhE

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Thank god it was "catch the ball." I hit play on that, but I was prepared to bail out as soon as it became "domed by a batted ball."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    Good snake.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    O brudder. Just like motion smoothing on a TV--not so good!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I can't find a
    Is that his front pass tire blowing out there right before he cuts that turn?

That's the front driver's side wheel locking up under brakes and then the remaining three wheels also all locking up.

I need to make some formula 1 gifs especially of the start of the China GP because like it looks cool as heck

also not much better gif of a lockup maybe you might see more due to open wheels

https://fat.gfycat.com/RapidBoringIrishdraughthorse.webm

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    With a little cleanup by hand those are really good animations

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    With a little cleanup by hand those are really good animations

Yeah, the point isn't "Computer! Finish this project for me!", it's "Computer! Do the remaining 20 frames each second for me, and I'll clean it up".

• Options
    it's also just the interesting technical challenge of creating an algorithm that can do it that well, even if it turns out not to be a very practically useful technique, it's still damned impressive.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    shit ok this is cool IR view of a tire lockup

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    it's also just the interesting technical challenge of creating an algorithm that can do it that well, even if it turns out not to be a very practically useful technique, it's still damned impressive.

get one little mistake in the algorithm and you get shit like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LR969Iz80k

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    4PaInoe.gif

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    cB557 wrote: »

Could we not, instead of doing that?

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    #pipe wrote: »

that is content aware scaling working perfectly as intended! which is to say I've never seen content aware scaling used for anything but those videos and have no idea what it was ever intended to be used for, if there even was ever an intended use for it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

It is actually a fake light source and a projector

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Thank you for the spoiler. I was about to waste most of my morning staring at that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Good water dog.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

that is content aware scaling working perfectly as intended! which is to say I've never seen content aware scaling used for anything but those videos and have no idea what it was ever intended to be used for, if there even was ever an intended use for it.
    It was intended for single still image manipulation, so you could scale the picture without warping it as much as regular scaling.

tr_scaling.png
    A is the original
    B is the scaled image
    C is content aware scaling

• Options

This discussion has been closed.