As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I like... museums, rad bars, delicious food, exercise/hiking, modern art, and... uhh... nature? Architecture?

Isn't Sydney at least as big as Singapore?

...oh, hm, I guess not.

Still! I bet there's fun things.

Hiking is pretty easy; Sydney is literally surrounded by national parks. Blue Mountains generally has the coolest views though. Recommend the walks around Katoomba, Leura and Wentworth Falls. In terms of beaches everyone knows about Bondi but Manly, Coogee, Maroubra and Cronulla beaches are also nice (as well as like twenty others in Sydney) and there's also the Central Coast.

In regards to delicious food, um, can you be more specific?

In regards to bars and restaurants and shops overall, Newtown and Surry Hills have heaps of cool bohemian stuff, there's some glitzy ones around Circular Quay and The Rocks and some generally awesome shit between Central and Wynyard overall including Chinatown.

Chatswood is now an Asian food borg cube of deliciousness, a terrifying yet beautiful apex of cuisine that threatens to swallow us whole. Can we swallow it first? Only you can help us.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I like... museums, rad bars, delicious food, exercise/hiking, modern art, and... uhh... nature? Architecture?

...oh, hm, I guess not.

I'm out at the moment but I've got a few good recommendations.

Unfortunately the best bar in Sydney and an almost perfect guarantor of a good time closed down a bit ago.

But there are some real lovely places, Sydney has a pretty good small bar scene, considering the circumstances.

Which bar was that bar?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I have pretty wide parameters for foods that I enjoy! I don't need to eat Asian food, just because uhhh... it's everywhere around me... but on the flip side I love it a lot so I'm not anti eating it either.

This is the craziest thing I've ever said, I think, but I could go for a real solid hamburger. I haven't had one in months.

Is there... is there like, New Australian like there's New American cuisine?

Thanks y'all, I am very excited! Except for the work which I expect will be very stressful!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have pretty wide parameters for foods that I enjoy! I don't need to eat Asian food, just because uhhh... it's everywhere around me... but on the flip side I love it a lot so I'm not anti eating it either.

This is the craziest thing I've ever said, I think, but I could go for a real solid hamburger. I haven't had one in months.

Thanks y'all, I am very excited! Except for the work which I expect will be very stressful!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/an-introduction-to-modern-day-australian-food.html
    http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2008/07/01/about-modern-australian-food

It's pretty similar here to the US, where more modern Aussie cuisine is really just kind of a melting pot of all different fusions of flavour profiles and techniques.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

...oh, hm, I guess not.

Unfortunately the best bar in Sydney and an almost perfect guarantor of a good time closed down a bit ago.

But there are some real lovely places, Sydney has a pretty good small bar scene, considering the circumstances.

Which bar was that bar?

Ko & Co. The Korean and Mexican fusion bar that had amazing soju and some of the best fried chicken in Sydney.

Also the bartender was an incredibly friendly and charismatic dude.

• Options
    Modern Australian food is everywhere (and one of my favorite cuisines) but it mostly found in cafes.

Your best bets for burgers are normally cafes and pubs, but there are also some great ones in the city, like the takeaway place that @Seguer introduced us to

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Quoting directly from a friend so excuse the profanity
    Baxters for whiskey
    It's the 7th best ranked bar in the world
    Worth it even if you don't like whiskey
    Ivy if you want to club, or if you want coke.
    The Newtown bars have the best 'bar' feel
    Get into the townie or the courtie.
    Stitch is also cool, but it's another whiskey bar, lots of ardbeg.
    I like the Ramblin' Rascal.
    It has a kind of speak easy vibe to it
    Plus you can get Mary's burgers there
    Their chicken burgers are the fuckin tits

Prohass on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Bar Luca.

I went there for lunch today and got one of these:
    SsfDBmc.jpg

(They're not always that big, they have a different special burger each week as well as some regular ones.)

broken image link
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    We're also open to any recommendations for nice things to do

What kind of nice things were you wanting to do?

If you want to see some art you could go to the Ian Potter Centre or ACMI, they both usually have some good free exhibitions going.

Having lunch in the botanical gardens would be pretty good too atm considering the current weather.

Lovely

We've got some museums and shopping in mind (as well as finding about 4 places to go for food already) but having some nice free or cheap activities to do would be great

Being outdoors will also be real nice

Following on from Apoc, Ian Potter Centre has what sounds like a really cool exhibition, Who's Afraid of Colour?
    This exhibition brings together presentations of work by a broad range of Indigenous women artists, whose practice is unbounded by convention. It includes bold statements that explore colour and assert the politics of identity. Customary woven objects and modern works will jostle in the same space, with digital, synthetic and organic materials alternating unexpectedly. The poetics of mourning will oscillate with paintings of wondrous joy and photographs that expose Indigenous disadvantage and repugnant instances of institutionalised racism.

Bonus: it's free.

Also you should check out That's Melbourne, which has a free events section. (Beware there's a lot to wade through as it even captures such incredible events as... Millionaire Hot Seat Studio Audience. :confused: )

• Options
    edited January 2017

Mary's, either the store front on Castlereagh or the unmarked pub in Newtown in the old Masonic hall.

Charlie & Co in the Westfield Sydney food court is pretty good too.

Or Burger Project in World Square.

There's a small cafe near my work called Livelo that do decent enough burgers but probably the greatest thick cut fries I've ever had.

Edit: God damn it @MrFuzzbutt I'm on a diet, I can't be finding out about these things.

theSquid on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh man. You guys rule. And I've decided to go out to the blue mountains with my coworker on Sunday.

I don't know if I'll have any real free time apart from dinner, or how much the people I'll be with from work will want to do with me, AND I know it's leading up to Australia Day, but if anyone wants to meet up and isn't a murderer, it's possible that I'll have free time! (I am also not a murderer.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe

My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs.

• Options
    I, for one, always love meeting up for dinner.

I'm attending a wedding in Gloucester on the 21st and certain surrounding days, but I should be free most of the time.

If you do want to experience more nature, the Sydney coastal walk is also incredibly beautiful. You don't have to do all of it, but anywhere between Coogee and Bondi is absolutely stunning.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    We're also open to any recommendations for nice things to do

What kind of nice things were you wanting to do?

If you want to see some art you could go to the Ian Potter Centre or ACMI, they both usually have some good free exhibitions going.

Having lunch in the botanical gardens would be pretty good too atm considering the current weather.

Lovely

We've got some museums and shopping in mind (as well as finding about 4 places to go for food already) but having some nice free or cheap activities to do would be great

Being outdoors will also be real nice

Fitzroy Gardens is really nice, especially the Conservatory. And Cooks Cottage is interesting. It's also cheap as chips to get there by tram and into the cottage.

EDIT: it's actually free to get to Fitzroy Gardens if you get off the tram at stop 8 and walk the hundred or so metres from there. The free tram zone gets you around most of the shopping and eating in Melbourne CBD.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    I've been to Sydney once in the last few years and dined with some forumers and I can confirm that they did not murder me.

You can trust me because I'm from Melbourne and legally obliged to bag out Sydney folks.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

...oh, hm, I guess not.

Which bar was that bar?

Ko & Co. The Korean and Mexican fusion bar that had amazing soju and some of the best fried chicken in Sydney.

Also the bartender was an incredibly friendly and charismatic dude.

I never heard of that bar.

My go to bars in Sydney CBD are Harts Pub (next to the rocks, good burgers and great beer selection) and Frankies Pizza By The Slice (looks like a pizza joint when you walk in, but go through the back doors and it's a rock/metal bar with also a great beer selection. Monday night is karaoke night with a live band). In Newtown I like The Union (again for beer and food).

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Prohass wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Guys i threw up all over inner Sydney

Youre welcome

I have been very drunk in the inner city throughout my 20s but I've never once barfed. Not out of respect for it's fine streets, it's just never happened. Plenty of my friends have decked the halls tho

I am getting sudden memory stirrings of the HofBrauHouse and how merrily and gay I decorated the place. *shudder*

I was young and stupid. Well, younger and stupider.

In terms of nice Sydney places, King St Newtown is worth a visit. Oxford St is great too, but it's getting pretty gentrified these days.

Circular Quay is good for a visit, as is the Botanic gardens when it's not stinking hot. The Rocks is nice but obscenely overpriced and is a total tourist trap.

Don't bother crossing the Harbour bridge, unless you want to visit Manly Beach (Better and far less crowded than Bondi- forgive me @Lalabox). I may live up that way, but up here is snobby white privileged rich suburbia. Avoid like the plague unless you want to visit me..

The Saturday Glebe Point markets are far better than the Rocks markets, and imho are better than the Paddington markets and Glebe Pt Rd is a great walk to take through the inner city community.

Surrey Hills has good drinking places and good eating places.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I am not a murderer but I am a flake.
    I work in town on a normalish schedule if we organise dinner one night?
    I can't really do bars unless the doctor tells me it is okay again next week though.
    Surrey Hills has good drinking places and good eating places.

This just makes me want to go to El Loco and drink tecate.
    It took me so long to train my phone to not do that autocorrect!

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Oh yea if you go to Glebe, The Little Guy is a great little hole in the wall pub. Free popcorn with beer purchases!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    If you walk pasta Gelato Messina and there isn't a huge queue grab something.
    It is pretty good, overrated and not worth lining up the length of 3 stores, but pretty good (also it seemed to be reasonably priced but I can't remember).

I'm fond of The Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst (bordering Surry Hills).

• Options
    Oh man, I forgot about the Taphouse. Great pub.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I still need to eat at El Loco here in Sydney. I keep hearing it has great Mexican food.

工事中
  • Options

Don't bother crossing the Harbour bridge, unless you want to visit Manly Beach (Better and far less crowded than Bondi- forgive me @Lalabox). I may live up that way, but up here is snobby white privileged rich suburbia. Avoid like the plague unless you want to visit me

Oh don't worry I'm a maroubra convert these days

• Options
    Are we comparing Eastern suburbs to North shore to see who is less snobby in here

*popcorn*

• Options

Don't bother crossing the Harbour bridge, unless you want to visit Manly Beach (Better and far less crowded than Bondi- forgive me @Lalabox). I may live up that way, but up here is snobby white privileged rich suburbia. Avoid like the plague unless you want to visit me

Braboyzzzz!!!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2017
    Prohass wrote: »
    Guys i threw up all over inner Sydney

Youre welcome

I have been very drunk in the inner city throughout my 20s but I've never once barfed. Not out of respect for it's fine streets, it's just never happened. Plenty of my friends have decked the halls tho

I wasn't drunk, I had a horrible gastric bug that hit me right after my interview at the US consulate.

...oh, hm, I guess not.

There's a ton of museums, etc. I can give you the heads up on shopping and eating, though I don't spend enough time up there to really go 'out' out, but yes take the cliff walk south of bondi - it's gorgeous (and quite nature-y).

I'll see if one of my friends is playing any gigs that week, his stuff is always worth checking out.

tynic on
  • Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    Are we comparing Eastern suburbs to North shore to see who is less snobby in here

*popcorn*

I have no strong opinions on the matter except that maroubra is lovely and the ferry ride to manly is lovely but o don't think i've ever swim there

• Options
    Manly was my favorite beach to swim at when we used to spend summers in Sydney. But I don't think I've ever been to the north shore otherwise, except once accidentally because of one-way street systems.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Braboyzzzz!!!

I've spent the past year and a half of living in maroubra wondering if the bra boys still exist and apparently they don't really so much

Lalabox on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Manly was my favorite beach to swim at when we used to spend summers in Sydney. But I don't think I've ever been to the north shore otherwise, except once accidentally because of one-way street systems.

Apart from me, there's nothing much here. And trust me- I'm not worth it.

• Options
    booooo such a lie.

• Options
    booooo such a lie.

You haven't me me yet Tynic. Trust me.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    booooo such a lie.

You haven't me me yet Tynic. Trust me.

There's lots of people here who have met you and I'm pretty sure we'd all agree with Tynic. At the very least I've met you and I do.

SorC on
    11776-1.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Auspax 2017 Manly Beach then?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    not gonna lie

"Manly Beach" as a name always makes me giggle

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    I vote that Sarah is lovely and great company

• Options
    Haven't seen Sarah in aaaaaaaaages what is up with that

• Options
    edited January 2017
    She's probs on the run from the po po.

This is how the cool kids talk, right?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Also the great burger place in the CBD is North Sandwich Cafe (and the burger stand that's part of it). It's only open for lunch but they are pretty much some of the best burgers I've had

Lalabox on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    She's probs on the run from the po po.

This is how the cool kids talk, right?

why won't this cringing stop

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
This discussion has been closed.