Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    You can still be appreciative of what folks fought and died for, even if it wasn't one of YOUR folks who fought or died for it!

I have like 0 military tradition in my family, but still found the ANZAC dawn service really meaningful when I went... paying respects to the folks who fought to defend the place I now call home and supporting my husband in paying HIS respects to his great grandfather never felt out of character to me.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I second that. Your lineage may not have direction connections to the ANZACs, but it's still an admirable gesture to pay tribute to the people who fought to protect the country you live in, and presumably love.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    i'm still considering going to one.

But it's odd, I think. I'm an American. My husband's family is from Taiwan. But we consider our daughter to be Kiwi. But even with her being born here, raised here, she still won't really have any big ties to the ANZAC.

It feels almost hypocritical of me to fell a connection? Not hypocritical, but just, not quite right? My ancestors missed the generation of fighting in WWI. And WWII for that matter. My grandfather was only just born in 1914, my grandmother was born in 1913. And my dad's grandparents were too old at the time to serve as well. I think the last time any member of my family tree served in any actual combat was the US Civil War, for the Union.

But I want to have her take part in things like this because it's part of her national heritage, even if it's not part of her familial one. But that seems almost flimsy of a thought.

I dunno, i'm babbling on again.

It's not about your family having a direct line to Gallipoli. It's about looking at all of these young men and women and respecting what they have sacrificed for the country that you respect and want it to be the best it can be. The talk this morning about Anzac and why it was important was referencing how both Australia and New Zealand were fledging nations in world war one, and these men and women volunteered and represented their country to do what they thought was right.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    You can still be appreciative of what folks fought and died for, even if it wasn't one of YOUR folks who fought or died for it!

I have like 0 military tradition in my family, but still found the ANZAC dawn service really meaningful when I went... paying respects to the folks who fought to defend the place I now call home and supporting my husband in paying HIS respects to his great grandfather never felt out of character to me.

Wait you're married?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    ANZAC day is always a conflicting one for me, because while I have family past and present who served across multiple wars and conflicts, I also have very negative feelings towards militaristic rhetoric and the high pedestal we put participating (as a country) in war on at times.

It's very easy for actual reverence and memorial for those who served, be they veterans or those who died in service, to get muddied by gross patriotism and the enshrinement of the military. It's... A complex matter.

I'm also acutely aware these days of a lot of the minority groups who served and are rarely given the attention or respect they deserve by mass media and politicians and such. The fact of the matter is that in the eyes of some people, not all sacrifices were equal.

So I guess in the end, everything is political and the nature of how ANZAC day and such can be portrayed is a very complex matter to my heart. ANZAC day is far more important to me when we think about the individuals, not the whole, I suppose.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    chilly, usually.

Was it though.
    I've been preoccupied today with how warm it is.
    The planet is on fire.

discrider on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean I wouldn't know, I'm half a hemisphere away.

• Options
    I'm going to bed with the heater not on on ANZAC day.
    This is some climate disaster movie level garbage.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

Ah yes, that’s what we call “Wednesday”.

• Options
    Seen that one before; here's another:
    u2pel.jpg

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Wait you're married?

You’d know this if you’d actually shown up to our wedding.

• Options
    Pretty sure they’re still in the movies, I’m probably safe for another hour or so.

• Options
    nah. sorry.

• Options
    Damnit

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey so my older sister is moving up.to brisbane for potentially 6ish weeks or something, and i would appreciate if anyone has got any good reccomendations of things to do that i could pass on.

Can be food/drink related, but if there are any other fun activities to do she's already been given a rundown of just about every bar and nightclub from friends.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Come and hit people with swords with me

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The Queensland Museum is pretty chill if she's into that. The Wild State exhibit has a whole bunch of models of local fauna that I liked a lot. South Bank/the Botanical Gardens are nice too.

• Options
    The museum has a rad exhibit on ancient Egypt open at the moment, definitely see that.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm DMing my first campaign this weekend, just grabbed my first set of dice. We're doing lost mines of phandelver. You guys play a lot, any tips?

Flay on
  • Options
    Do lots of planning, then throw away everything you planned because your players will ignore it.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Hey so my older sister is moving up.to brisbane for potentially 6ish weeks or something, and i would appreciate if anyone has got any good reccomendations of things to do that i could pass on.

Can be food/drink related, but if there are any other fun activities to do she's already been given a rundown of just about every bar and nightclub from friends.

go kayaking at enoggera dam

visit the glasshouse mountains and do bushwalks

go to the gold coast - not surfers paradise, it sucks, but the southern beaches are nice. like burleigh heads and broadbeach

stradbroke island?? i haven't been there in a long time

there's only so much to do in brisbane itself, but the rest of seq is good as hell. you need a car tho

• Options
    Yeah just be prepared to improv an entire session if you need to

having a laptop with the roll20 database up on it is very handy

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    For more reference, Dale, who DM'd the first Dice Friends session for LRR, is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvy-vBQ9ggc

In short, go ham on the improv. If players want to do something, find a dice roll to check their proposed action against, think of a suitable threshold for success, let em go for it. If they fail it, they pratfall.. or worse. All good comedy has consequence and stakes.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Do lots of planning, then throw away everything you planned because your players will ignore it.

Yes. This.

Basically, expect the players to latch onto a completely random and unrelated detail, believe it is significant, and ride it until the end of time, which then means your super excellent preparation means nothing as you're stuck improvising for 4 hours.

Because I adore @Anzekay as our GM and I feel super sorry for him.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man.

The last time i did any tabletop gaming (shortly after 3rd Edition came out.... gosh i'm old)

We ruined the DMs plan because they put a magically locked door in a hallway and we figured it needed to be gotten past.

We had a Psionic in the group, with some sort of ability that let him absorb damage and then pass it along.

So we turned him into a punching bag for about 4 rounds of combat, did a ridiculous amount of damage, he then touched the wall next to the door.

The wall exploded/crumbled setting off all kinds of traps. But we got the treasure hidden inside and escaped the tower as it caught fire and began crumbling around us.

To be honest though, his original goal was for us to fight the wizard at the top of the tower. We just collapsed the building on top of them instead.

The DM was incensed.

• Options
    also just forget complex puzzles entirely

they always seem really clever but sometimes your players just don't latch onto the right detail and the entire puzzle becomes unsolvable

the very best puzzle I've ever done was the weird level machine in the very first D&D campaign with the forumers and it wasn't a puzzle, I just made random shit up when they interacted with it until everyone was laughing at it mincing goblins and I decided to have it activate something and open the door they needed to open

it was funny, it was silly, and they felt great when it did what they wanted it to do without having to fiddle too much

same goes for puzzle-like combat encounters. sometimes your players will latch onto something in a way you don't expect, and approach it in a way that just plain won't work with what you have on paper. My best advice is to avoid GMing such encounters while tired because you'll get exhausted just trying to keep things together

which brings me onto my other GM top tips:

don't GM while tired if you can help it
    HYDRATE! I get massive headaches while GMing if I get too invested in the game and forget to drink, and then I lose focus. staying hydrated is a big thing.
    if looking up a rule for something not-too-important takes more than a minute, just handwave it and make something up and look it up later
    memorise as many basic spells as you can, because knowing what they do and being able to just fling them at your party from an enemy spellcaster at will is really great

also don't ever underestimate the sleep spell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDkAL65tSQ0&t=2s

• Options
    Also, open with this line (also stolen from Dice Friends): "We are using a slightly modified version of the 5E rules, in that when I make a mistake it's actually a house rule."

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Yes. This.

Basically, expect the players to latch onto a completely random and unrelated detail, believe it is significant, and ride it until the end of time, which then means your super excellent preparation means nothing as you're stuck improvising for 4 hours.

Because I adore @Anzekay as our GM and I feel super sorry for him.

DM: As the door creaks open, the four of you enter the main chamber and notice four suspiciously familiar-looking statues, each of them holding a-

P1: Wait, why did the door creak? This is an assassin's hideout, all the doors should be silent.

P2: Hey, there was a creaking door in that haunted blacksmith's house that we robbed two months ago. Maybe the ghost has followed us! We should oil the hinges to banish the evil spirit.

P3: We don't have any oil though.

P4: We have that goat carcass we got from the cave troll earlier. What if we make a fire and render the fat off that?

P2: I volunteer my helmet as a drip tray!

P4: Let's make sure we have everything we need, we only get one shot at this. Someone look up a YouTube video on rendering goat fat.

DM: Suddenly a portal appears and you all fall through into a universe where all that exists are gelatinous cubes.

P1: What? That's the third time since we started this quest!

P3: Yeah, not to be rude, DM, but I feel like it messes with the narrative flow when you take us on these random tangents all the time?

• Options
    See this is why I keep that iron pot with me, no need to get about boiling things in someone's hat.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    If I ever run a puzzle, it'll probably be a bunch of random objects and the solution will be the cleverest thing the players come up with

Flay on
  • Options
    Apparently players hate it when you team them up with the big bad unknowingly to take down someone else, but then he disappears leaving them all to an impossible fight, so he can turn up later when they're weak and extort them for what he wants.
    So don't do that.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a little worried about the sheer amount I need to try to memorise, but I guess it's fine to make mistakes

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Making mistakes is half the fun because they can lead in interesting directions. Although that depends what you mean by mistakes. I had to prevent my players from haggling with anyone as it would turn into a halfhour detour.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    If I ever run a puzzle, it'll probably be a bunch of random objects and the solution will be the cleverest thing the players come up with

This is exactly how I run puzzles. It's my job to create problems, not solve them.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    That was the most fun I've had all year, and we only made it through the intro encounter

Flay on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I’m thinking of coming down for PAX this year. You probably won’t see much of me, but there’s a chance I’ll be there.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The government backed scheme for building affordable housing is..... Astounding?

The numbers are saying that the maximum price for the new housing is going to be higher than what we paid for our house.

Average house prices in this city has now hit $1M. That's the average.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's an ANZ advert here where the couple buying thier first home are depressed that the bidding starts at one million dollars. Then the bank gives them a loan and it's all OK.

Every time I see it all I can think is "Seriously, you're normalizing a million dollars for a first home"

The wife and I both make pretty good money these days, but we couldn't afford to buy our house if we didn't already have it.

orthanc
This discussion has been closed.