Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I'll most likely be at PAX again

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    We'll also be there, if work doesn't kill me first...

工事中
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    So.. this isn't great.

The Kotaku article about it took something of a neutral stance, but finished with this informative vid about the EB Expo Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSIhG8Kd0P4

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Damn, so it's $349 for early access to their shop stall at PAX, free shipping (despite almost everyone taking their shit home with them in their luggage), an 'exclusive lounge' (surely at least 10-15 feet away from any of the other free places to sit and have a rest) with some bored EB Games store clerks making sure everyone can get their DSs plugged in and charging, a locker (first come first served, no doubt), and an 'exclusive program' on Thursday.

I tell you what, that 'exclusive program' had better feature supermodels giving out free Lamborghinis...

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Personally I feel like a private chill-out lounge hosted by the EB community team is one of the last places I would like to spend my limited time on this earth

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Look, it ain't for you damn normies.

This is only for the Ultimate Gamers™

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    As a certified Penultimate Gamer, I

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What's bad about it?

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    So what happens when regular 3-day passes sell out and the only ones left are tied to this overpriced showbag?

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

In this essay, I intend to dissect the many ways that Veldrin is not an Ultimate Gamers™. Firstly,

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    What's bad about it?

The reason I (and notable others) love PAX is that it aims to celebrate all lovers of all kinds of games. PC, console, handheld, tabletop, arcade, retro, AAA, indie, mobile, and even LARP. All of it and more.

Even though this EB shit is a voluntary purchase for idiots, its presence at PAX reflects an angle whereby PAXAus might shift culturally to be more about REAL ULTIMATE HARDCORE AAA GAMERS rather than, well, all lovers of all games.

And fuck that noise. The LAST thing gaming culture needs is exclusivity.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

The second last gamer in existence

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    What's bad about it?

The reason I (and notable others) love PAX is that it aims to celebrate all lovers of all kinds of games. PC, console, handheld, tabletop, arcade, retro, AAA, indie, mobile, and even LARP. All of it and more.

Even though this EB shit is a voluntary purchase for idiots, its presence at PAX reflects an angle whereby PAXAus might shift culturally to be more about REAL ULTIMATE HARDCORE AAA GAMERS rather than, well, all lovers of all games.

And fuck that noise. The LAST thing gaming culture needs is exclusivity.

I don't think PAX itself will ever do that, the PA staff I feel would prevent that from happening simply because they aren't 'ultimate gamers' themselves. They'd exert whatever control they can to stop it. We'll just have a zone for people to point and laugh at the fools who vastly overspent for minimal reward simply for the privilege of being certificate ULTIMATE GAMERS (see it says so on the t-shirt), who themselves will then take the pointing and laughing really badly and use it as more fodder in their persecution complexes which will push them more toward the hard right wing parts of society, leading to the longer existence of the geebergoobers etc.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I really need a gif of Stan trying to sell Guybrush Threepwood a boat.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Edit; Didn’t refresh my page in time.

The gaming community has its fair share of toxicity, and from my personal experience, stuff like this, this “exclusivity” facilitates and enables people to be shitheads, and entitled nerds are some of the worst. It decreases the family friendly nature of PAXAus that i’ve enjoyed. Not least the much maligned diversity lounge.

Edit 2: Everyone else has put it in much better words. Goddammit.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    It's very much fools and their money for me. I won't be losing much sleep over it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    People out here giving thoughtful critiques of this bullshit

and the only thought that pops out of my head is

Fyrefest but for Gamers

edit: it's not even accurate, i just like the phrase and that dril tweet

Lalabox on
  • Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    geebergoobers?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    g4maerg4te

kinda prefer to avoid naming them directly

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    It's very much fools and their money for me. I won't be losing much sleep over it.

That’s good for you, but this sort of thing has demonstrable consequences culturally. As a member of a still-maligned demographic with gaming culture, I don’t get to just ignore it or the potential impact it has on an otherwise enjoyable space that is endeavoring to lead by example in its other aspects. If you are of a similar demographic then I’m glad(?) you are in a position to turn a blind eye.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. I’d think that current times were sufficient proof of that.

Like, it’s an lower-stakes version of when people dismissively say things like “just ignore Pauline Hanson and she’ll go away” or “racism is over except for idiots, just ignore them.” Somehow the folks who say that usually don’t even have a horse in the damn race, yet have the gall to act like not giving a shit is cool, even as rhetoric like hers is shitty, enabling, and demonstrative of how much work still needs doing.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    This shit is real stupid and I do not like it at all

but it does at least look like these passes are not an official PAX thing- they're being sold only through EB games- and the thing the day before PAX is at a different site to the MCEC

• Options
    Right now I’m just annoyed that I gave EB Games money this past weekend.

• Options
    Are ticket prices more expensive from last year? It's been a while since I've actually bought a ticket

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Are ticket prices more expensive from last year? It's been a while since I've actually bought a ticket

They're not revealed until tomorrow.

• Options
    Eh. I got a still:
    57-somi_843.gif

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The bigger problem is that say they sell out, and then they want to sell more on this crap and to encourage more people to join in, they stick in more shit, and eventually it expands to gating off the convention and the entire place is stuck behind various pay walls.

Or maybe access gets behind a fucking loot box.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Or maybe access gets behind a fucking loot box.

Please stop giving them ideas....

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Gameify convention tickets. Free-to-attend, but to see anything you have to purchase loot boxes to see what you're going to be able to get into.

Basically how they do olympic/commonwealth games tickets, actually.

Of course, if they actually did that it would be the death knell of the con anyway, so..

• Options
    Cons are now free-to-play*.

*but you need to level up to gain access to new items and areas. Restrooms unlock at LVL 7.

• Options
    18+ panels unlock at lvl 69

• Options
    So long as I can earn all unlocks by putting a couple thousand hours into con-time, I'm in.

• Options

*but you need to level up to gain access to new items and areas. Restrooms unlock at LVL 7.

Learn2p, into scrub

• Options

Actually some speed-runners found a hack, all you have to do is power jump backwards up the escalator and you can use the restrooms at the hospital.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »

Actually some speed-runners found a hack, all you have to do is power jump backwards up the escalator and you can use the restrooms at the hospital.

It's a frame perfect strat though, and if you mess up you can really.. mess up.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    So the pricing for the PAX passes appears to be the same as last year:
    $165 for 3Day (Definitely the same as last year)
    $62 for 1Day

So that's something at least.

11776-1.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    pimento wrote: »

It's not a badge except for the part that is, it's not sold by PAX except by them directly to EB, and it confers no special privileges aside from the special privileges it confers.

Butler on
  • Options
    Functionally for PAX itself they're not getting a special badge, is what I believe he means. The PAX badge is exactly the same as any other PAX badge, including it being sold by PAX etc

but whatever other thing you get that identifies you as having bought this extra package, gives you extra stuff in regards to EB's stuff only

so how much this matters depends on how you view the extra stuff, basically

and for me it's... fairly poorly

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The only fucking special pass I want to buy is one run by the official town wizard.

They haven't cut that position yet, right?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    I’m really curious to see how well that EB pass actually sells.

This discussion has been closed.