As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    You could try to find info on KS account page for the backing.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you used the same E-Mail on Kickstarter that you did on robertsspaceindustries.com then they will be linked automatically.

Otherwise Customer service can do it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    There are no codes. If you are a backer you just download it from the website.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

Does that also pertain to people who backed it via KS? Wouldn't those backers need to link their KS purchase with their RSI account?

As someone who backed the Kickstarter... I think yes?

This was something that people were supposed to do like two years ago though. iirc not long after the Kickstarter was over and the RSI site went live?

From the sounds of it, Kelor didn't link his accounts back then and can't find the e-mail detailing how to do that. Hopefully (I'm pretty sure they will) RSI will sort things out.

Oh yeah if that's the case then customer service can probably sort it out quickly (or at least they could if it wasn't in the early AM on a Sunday)

damnit, Bri, always with the faster answers :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Yeah, thanks for the heads up guys.

At the time I didn't have a computer that would be capable of running it, so I just sort of put the money into Kickstarter and figured when it dropped I'd be fine.

I'm sure it will be resolvable, the email for my kickstarter is the same as my account is under, so it shouldn't be hard to match.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Just realised that I backed this like many other people in 2012....has it been that long?

If I boot up the launcher is anything new been added over the last eight months?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just realised that I backed this like many other people in 2012....has it been that long?

If I boot up the launcher is anything new been added over the last eight months?

The FPS module, a whole slew of new ships (along with multi-crew ships), and a mini-Persistent Universe have all been added.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Updates happen so often that I actually stopped opening the launcher, because patching is pretty frequent.

Ship additions are the most common things, but the pieces are definitely coming together and there's a fair bit to look at right now.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Still holding out for 3.0, although I'm probably looking forward to the netcode update more than the planetary landing... it'd be nice to be able to play multiplayer without rubberbanding everywhere!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Man, I haven't looked at that spreadsheet in ages. I should proooobably update it some day.

Some day.

Ogad, I forgot about that spreadsheet. So much shame to be had in there.

EDIT: Why, why did I have look :cry:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just reminded myself that I have two ships with LTI that I could buy back... Must resist!

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Man, I haven't looked at that spreadsheet in ages. I should proooobably update it some day.

Some day.

Didn't you end up getting a refund on a lot of those, or do I remember it wrong?

Anyway, I did a tiny bit of cleanup on the PA Fleet Spreadsheet so it should be a bit easier to add your shame to our list if you haven't already. Might need updating with latest ship types, but I was just driving by, gotta head onwards.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Some day.

Didn't you end up getting a refund on a lot of those, or do I remember it wrong?

Anyway, I did a tiny bit of cleanup on the PA Fleet Spreadsheet so it should be a bit easier to add your shame to our list if you haven't already. Might need updating with latest ship types, but I was just driving by, gotta head onwards.

Thank you!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Here is the lastest dev update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIzExVmZMo

• Options
    New Around the Verse for you duders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkCuBdPpj18

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    So.. Gamescon came and went. Sadly no 3.0 announcement. Some bugs in the presentation, but hey, they look like they're continuing to build build build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo

• Options
    If I remember right they announced 3.0 during last year's Gamescom presentation, right?

• Options
    I mean, I guess I was actually there in person last year and pretty sure they did.

• Options
    Sorry, I meant release date announcement.

• Options
    Oh yeah I got that, I'm just like... wake me when it's actually out?

• Options
    Yeah I hear you. I had to go back a lot of pages to find this thread. Hype fatigue has definitely set in.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    They've had a lot of mentions of 3.0 in the emails they send out. They're basically in bug squash mode for it right now. I wouldn't be surprised if we get it before the end of the year.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    From the production schedule on the website ETA seems to be early October, if I'm reading it right. With the rate of date slippage I'd guess more likely a late October/early November release to testers, public release maybe December.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    what about retail 1.0 as opposed to beta 3.0?

HOW ABOUT THAT CHRIS!?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Way too much info comes out from the updates for me to reasonably pay attention and keep up. I'd pretty much either have to pay attention to SC updates, or pay attention to everything else I'm interested in; I couldn't manage both. But I'm pretty content with them putting out 3.0 or whatever and me having no clue about anything, with the game being so unrecognizable from when I played it last that I have to learn from scratch.

The two biggest "that's pretty neat" things to me I've seen in the last couple of days are the Mobiglass stuff (because of how much info it integrates and the fact that the screens are actual objects in the setting) and the facial expression mapping via webcam. I really would rather see somebody's character emoting in the game than see their actual face because of how much better that is for immersion, and the mapping looks like it actually works pretty dang well.

• Options
    For me, i just get tired about all the details, terminology, studio gossip and whatnot.
    There's too much noise to signal on things i am interested in and that would affect me or the finished product.

So i take a quick look everynow and then, but don't really follow all that closely anymore.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Way too much info comes out from the updates for me to reasonably pay attention and keep up. I'd pretty much either have to pay attention to SC updates, or pay attention to everything else I'm interested in; I couldn't manage both. But I'm pretty content with them putting out 3.0 or whatever and me having no clue about anything, with the game being so unrecognizable from when I played it last that I have to learn from scratch.

The two biggest "that's pretty neat" things to me I've seen in the last couple of days are the Mobiglass stuff (because of how much info it integrates and the fact that the screens are actual objects in the setting) and the facial expression mapping via webcam. I really would rather see somebody's character emoting in the game than see their actual face because of how much better that is for immersion, and the mapping looks like it actually works pretty dang well.

I basically skim the update emails and then watch some of the vids that come out and that's it

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped, but it's very much a version of hype along the lines of a mellow "Hmm, yes, this is good. Shit I approve of/am ok with is getting done/included."

So I guess less hype and more "This ridiculously ambitious project seems to be still moving along at a decent pace so... we cool?"

tbh after picking up a Rift part of me is ok with how long it's taking so that when it has a 1.0 launches I'll be able to actually afford the ridiculous PC required for that. Like seriously take your time guys, the 1080 Ti is still pretty fucking spendy and I probably want a pair of what comes after that anyways.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Is there enough game here to warrant a purchase now, or is it still so far off that it's not really worth it?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    That's a pretty subjective thing based on what you want, but I wouldn't say the game is by any means in a state where it would be considered a fully functional game waiting for more content. You can fly ships alone or with other people and being outside ships now has FPS functionality as well, but there is definitely a lack of anything to work towards (you can't even buy ships inside the game yet).

I'd say the unique, worthwhile content is already much greater than what Elite:Dangerous launched with (since that came out with a handful of missions, ships, and stations that were just cut and pasted several million times), but they aren't assembled into an effective whole yet. There is a constant stream of updates, though, and just keeping the game patched can be time- and data-consuming.

And that's just the online-oriented stuff. The singleplayer content has a pretty tight lid on info and there is no access to that at all for anybody but the devs, and presumably won't be any access until the as-yet-unknown release date.

It's also more expensive to buy in now than in the past. You used to be able to get both Star Citizen (multiplayer) and Squadron 42 (singleplayer) for like 30 bucks, now it will cost you $60 to get both. 3.0 is probably where the game will be at a point that it could be considered functional, but that isn't likely to be out until later this year. The game also requires fairly powerful hardware to run well; I doubt much optimization has been done yet, and getting it to run decently requires some reasonably modern hardware.

So unless you're just dying to play this, no reason not to just wait, at least until 3.0.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Current content:
    Shooting on foot.
    Shooting with ships.
    Social area where nothing happens.
    Carage to stare at (some of) your ships.

Did they add the cargo delivery stuff in yet? Haven't checked lately.

If you want to shoot people, either on foot or in a spaceship, there's content to be had.
    If you are like me, it probably won't be that engaging, pve content is kinda lacking.
    Once 3.0 comes in, it should be lot better.

• Options
    There is a lot of world building going on right now and considering how huge of a playground we're getting, it simply takes a lot of time to fill it up with content. Or at least content that doesn't look the developers rushed through it all and put in canned content (We don't run this place, but we have an understanding with the people who do)

One bit of the presentation that stood out for me is when the Constellation was leaving the planet, Roberts points out a gargantuan crater off in the horizon. See that crater over there? That's the size of the entire playable world of Skyrim (I never did play Skyrim, but I'm told it's pretty big) And that's just one crater on one ^moon^ of the Star Citizen universe.

Even after their universe-building, there's still going to be tons of room for us players to build starbases or factories, etc.

I gotta assume that the number of bugs have increased geometrically as things get more complicated.

I'm kinda assuming 3.0 will be the milestone for when I'm going to start getting back into the game more. At the very least maybe start thinking about buying a new video card (my GTX 570 ain't going to cut it) and start re-learning all the controls (haven't really played much since the first dogfighting module was introduced) and just...get a handle on how this game has grown so that I'm not in complete information overload when SQ42 and the PU are released.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I sort of feel like this is getting to a level of detail that is maybe not necessary for an unofficial Wing Commander sequel but who am I to judge Chris Roberts's dreams?

• Options
    We've been way past the level of "necessary" detail for years now.
    But hey, in for a penny, in for a hundred million+ dollars.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Something like this doesn't bother me one way or another. If it turns out to be trouble, it looks like it was easy for them to plug in some 3rd-party tech into their already-existing system without much time or effort so any development impact was minimal. If it works well, it looks like a pretty neat way to increase the immersion in the setting because players will have in-game facial movement like the NPCs.

I mean, it adds facetracking and TrackIR-like capability with zero extra cost because it can just utilize the always-unused camera built into my laptop. If nothing else, the head tracking will be nice to have for looking around.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Something like this doesn't bother me one way or another. If it turns out to be trouble, it looks like it was easy for them to plug in some 3rd-party tech into their already-existing system without much time or effort so any development impact was minimal. If it works well, it looks like a pretty neat way to increase the immersion in the setting because players will have in-game facial movement like the NPCs.

I mean, it adds facetracking and TrackIR-like capability with zero extra cost because it can just utilize the always-unused camera built into my laptop. If nothing else, the head tracking will be nice to have for looking around.

Yeah, I use this in Elite Dangerous with FaceTrackNoIR. It makes sense to put it in the game if you're going to design the game around people being able to look around the canopy and not have a set view. The expressions or whatever are kinda iffy, though.

I'll see what 3.0 brings.

• Options
    Where else can I go for a cool Space AWACS feel?

Well, I guess not here either but it's part of why Star Citizen still fills me with hope for some reason. Last time I ran the game after an update it was all laggy again so I'll wait a while before trying to load up my hangar.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The answer is always Freespace 2.

In Blue Planet, one of the more successful and complex mods, several missions are based around battlefield control, capital ship piloting, and stealth/assassination tasks. It's super impressive.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

Well, I guess not here either but it's part of why Star Citizen still fills me with hope for some reason. Last time I ran the game after an update it was all laggy again so I'll wait a while before trying to load up my hangar.

AWACS- Airborne Warning and Control?

Not really sure what you mean, but Elite Dangerous is a great space sim if that's what you're looking for. There's no walking around - It's all flying all the time (well, you can also drive a land rover buggy).

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Also Homeworld 1 + 2 remaster if you're looking for actual battlefield control always.

• Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Not really sure what you mean, but Elite Dangerous is a great space sim if that's what you're looking for. There's no walking around - It's all flying all the time (well, you can also drive a land rover buggy).

Sure, but can I pay extra to repaint that buggy and drive it around a boxy hangar?!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Sure, but can I pay extra to repaint that buggy and drive it around a boxy hangar?!

Actually. . . .

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
This discussion has been closed.