As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year with your pals at Giant Bomb

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    SHE'S GONNA WORK ON THE NEW DREAMCAST

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So is GameSpot now a one man show starring Peter Brown or something?

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    There's also Mike Mahardy and thats about it for gamespot employees I know, I always felt kinda bad but even when they had Danny O'Dwyer I just never got around to checking out gamespot content.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rip gamespot

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I doubt her new dream is on the other side of the same floor of the same building

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't think I can describe to you guys how bad I am at Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
    Like, every now and then I'll buy a platformer because the art style is neat or it seems like the devs are cool people with neat ideas that I want to support, and then invariably I will play it and remember that I'm absolutely shit and rubbish at this genre
    I want to like em but it just bums me out that they are uncrackable for me

• Options
    You know what looks fucking aces to me? Shovel Knight
    You know what I'm gonna flail around and die a thousand times in? Shovel Knight

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I get that, I love watching other people play platformers. But I can't do it myself, every few years I try and it just doesn't work.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Graham I just

You push the button where there is not floor

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I don't want to suggest this might explain your higher than average opinion of the Sonic Adventure series

But it maaaaaaay be a factor

• Options
    Graham I just

Okay, if you want to oversimplify it, sure, eventually if I bang away at just the jumping I'll get the hang of it, but combine that with any kind of combat and I'm sunk
    Consider that directions of attack in most classic platformers consists of "straight ahead of you" or maybe also "diagonal up" and you have to work in a lot more timing of jumps and enemy positioning to hit stuff

I don't know, I feel like a fucking idiot trying to describe this because these are the simplest games, and everyone else has been playing these since they were children and don't even have to actively think about this stuff, you have the reflexes for it
    But I didn't play them growing up and I feel like I have so little control over the character

and so I just can't get the various elements of action platformers to coalesce into a cohesive game

• Options
    I don't want to suggest this might explain your higher than average opinion of the Sonic Adventure series

who are you talking to
    are you talking to me
    I've never played a Sonic Adventure game

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Graham I just

Okay, if you want to oversimplify it, sure, eventually if I bang away at just the jumping I'll get the hang of it, but combine that with any kind of combat and I'm sunk
    Consider that directions of attack in most classic platformers consists of "straight ahead of you" or maybe also "diagonal up" and you have to work in a lot more timing of jumps and enemy positioning to hit stuff

I don't know, I feel like a fucking idiot trying to describe this because these are the simplest games, and everyone else has been playing these since they were children and don't even have to actively think about this stuff, you have the reflexes for it
    But I didn't play them growing up and I feel like I have so little control over the character

and so I just can't get the various elements of action platformers to coalesce into a cohesive game

Sounds like you need to practice old school platformers

Go grab a NES Classic and oh wait

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

who are you talking to
    are you talking to me
    Wh-

Why did i think you liked sonic adventure a ton

I'm sorry my brain is bad

• Options
    Graham I just

I'm just teasing you dude, I'm sorry you can't get into them, Shantae is a great game

But they absolutely expect you to have a gaming vocabulary, like shooters do, and if you don't have it its going to be tough

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Shantae doesn't have especially sophisticated platforming, but it does have some tight timing windows on attacks enemies so I can see where the issues begin

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Shantae doesn't have especially sophisticated platforming, but it does have some tight timing windows on attacks enemies so I can see where the issues begin

Yeah you ain't lying
    even the most basic enemies are just wrecking me

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Graham I'm taking you to Super Meat Boy bootcamp

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Graham we can have you practice your timing on this game I'm sure you will love.

It's called Dark Souls and NO WAIT DON'T THROW ME IN A RIVER AHHHH

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    it's tangentially giant bomb related so:
    VGCW will be winding down at the end of the current season, season 13
    there may be other shows but the "Narrative" structure of the show is closing down (with a possible epilogue)

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I doubt her new dream is on the other side of the same floor of the same building

What about an office in NYC?!

it's not likely but a boy can dream. I hope she does stuff she wants to do, even if we never see her again and she works in weird esoterica like Alexa Ray and that Kingdom Hearts book she's writing, or Kevin Van Ord moving to Belgium to write for video games

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    i bet patreon dot com slash danny o dwyer's danny o dwyer could use some help

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They do a lot of work with video, as I understand it

• Options
    it's tangentially giant bomb related so:
    VGCW will be winding down at the end of the current season, season 13
    there may be other shows but the "Narrative" structure of the show is closing down (with a possible epilogue)

This is the thing I need to actually watch through all of it

• Options
    i have a big backlog to get through myself, a season or so

the two other shows will continue at a semi-regular pace for the time being

• Options
    I didn't even think about Danny head hunting Mary

That'd be cold blooded. Unlikely, as Danny is the video guy himself, but it'd be cool. NoClip at its current rate is unsustainable anyway. They could certainly use another trusted video hand

steam_sig.png

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The new dream, is akavir

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Noclip has a video guy, I forget his name.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    How many people is noclip

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Shantae

I started playing Risky's Revenge on the 3ds the other day

When you duck Shantae sticks her butt up in the air

Yeah these games are pretty horny

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2017
    finally purchased giant bomb's game of the year

from...2015

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    Noclip has a video guy, I forget his name.

I know they have an audio guy but I'm pretty sure it's that guy, Danny, and then freelancer help

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Speaking of Shantae

I started playing Risky's Revenge on the 3ds the other day

When you duck Shantae sticks her butt up in the air

Yeah these games are pretty horny

And she wiggles it!

• Options
    Jeff just posted on his Tumblr about the Mary thing.

He basically said to stop asking and that he wouldn't say anything if he could.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Jeff just posted on his Tumblr about the Mary thing.

He basically said to stop asking and that he wouldn't say anything if he could.

I can only imagine the questions he's gotten about Ryan the past few years.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm a little late to the mgsurvive discussion, but the thing that irks me the most is that they already had a perfect setup for a small team coop game. Have your character act as one of the characters you send on dispatch missions while playing through mgsv. Repeatible mission structure, check. The ability to assign roles to each player and work as a team to assassinate warlords, defend convoys or the like, check. Customizable character and loadout, check.

They wouldn't even have to build a big open world, just enough levels to keep things interesting. But no, they had to go with 99% reused assets so we have damn tech zombies instead. I loved the way that mgsv played so much that I want new content in that engine but I can't imagine survive will be worth more than $5 at most.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

who are you talking to
    are you talking to me
    Wh-

Why did i think you liked sonic adventure a ton

I'm sorry my brain is bad

did you confuse him for me?

• Options
    I hope that when they reboot Tomb Raider again (which will hopefully be soon), they learn enormous lessons from Hitman. Just copy it, is what I'm saying.

Give me a new, incredibly intricate tomb every two months or so, get rid of this breathless perpetually fraught Lara and give me back confident heiress-turned-adventurer quippy Lara, lose the Uncharted crap in favor of complex level design, get rid of the neverending stream of superfriends that need to accompany her everywhere.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was super disappointing to me and I'd love some kind of return to form - in the sense that those early games really captured a sense of isolation and exploration that has completely vanished from that series.

• Options
    Oh man I loved the HELL out of Rise of Tomb Raider's gameplay

(The story was bad)

I hope they continue to move it in that direction for a while

• Options
    Oh man I loved the HELL out of Rise of Tomb Raider's gameplay

(The story was bad)

I hope they continue to move it in that direction for a while

It didn't play poorly or anything, it was just uninspired to me.

This discussion has been closed.