As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Friday the 13th : The Game] - Jason lives ... you wont. Out now PS4/Steam/Xbone

darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
edited June 2017 in Games and Technology
0f26a23fb688810b663f1096201d2e8c_original.JPG?w=680&fit=max&v=1444458567&auto=format&q=92&s=cce447aac61c3580819eec77718a737f

Ki Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma Ma (yea yea it sounds like Ch Ch Ch Ch Ha Ha ha ha... )

Official Site
http://f13game.com/

Beta Live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNqIq5P2hQ

So game companies Illfonic and Gun Media (I have no idea what else they have made) originally where trying to make a game that they had called "Summer Camp" where nubile co-eds were hunted down and murdered by a crazed and unstoppable death machine. They kickstarted that idea originally but it fell short of funding, at some point they got the license for the Friday the 13th series and rebranded Summer Camp as Friday the 13th :The Game

Along with the license they got
Sean S. Cunningham - creator of Jason and producer of the original Friday the 13th and the remake http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192446/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Tom Savini - genius of film practical effects and a sex machine http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0767741/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Kane Hodder - was Jason in many of the films and did all the mo-cap for Jason for the game http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387987/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Harry Manfredini - composer and creator of the iconic music from the Friday the 13th music. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006185/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

So what is this game about.

It is a lopsided survival based horror game, you have multiple people playing our Camp Counselors trying to survive and escape from Jason Voorhees.
Each Counselor is based on various standard horror tropes, from the girl next door, to the preppy kid or the "bad girl" each one has various strengths and weaknesses that will assist or hinder them in game.

Counselors have a few ways to survive.
1. Repair the phone and call the police, then await for the cops to arrive so they can escape with them.
2. Repair one of the cars in the map, needing a battery, gas and the car keys, once all those are found and the car is repaired you have to drive out of the map and from what I have seen if Jason gets in front of the car it will veer to the side potentially crashing it.
3. Survive for 20 minutes, at that point the match will end and Jason will return to his cabin where his mothers severed head is.
4. Kill Jason - no idea how do to this.

Counselors have a stamina bar that allows them to run, when you Stamina is low or out you will not be able to outrun Jason.
There is also a fear mechanic that really messes with your character, causing them to trip, hides your HUD and makes you stand out more to Jason if he is looking for you, fear increases when you see Jason, see corpses and other in game situations that I am not fully aware of yet.

Death comes swiftly for counselors so when you die there is a chance to spawn back into the game as famous Friday the 13th survivor Tommy Jarvis if someone has contacted him during the match via phone.

Still gathering info on what various items do and the specifics on what the counselors are good at.

Jason Voorhees is the last member of the match, one player will control various incarnations of Jason each with different kills available and perks, I had only played the original Sack head Jason, but I did see that one of the other Jason could "run" to help him catch his victims faster.

Jason's objective is of course to kill all the other players, he has 4 main abilities that allow him to get around the map.
1. Morph - this is a long or shorter distance teleport that is always available, it is inaccurate and it puts you into the mini map when you want to use it. This allows you to traverse the map from one side to the other or for shorter distances put you in front of a player so you can cut them off. Players can hear you Morph if they are close.
2. Sense - this unlocks fairly quickly and lets Jason sense players who have higher levels of fear and lets you see if anyone is inside of a building (wont tell you where in the building they might be) This ability refills slowly so turn it off and on when needed.
3. Shift - This is the quick movement of Jason that is the 3rd ability to unlock, it also refills slowly. This allows you to gain ground on your targets with more precision. When you use this Jason disappears and he auto runs forward and you control how he moves and when he stops (you have to stop the ability or you can blow past your targets pretty quick) When using this the counselors screens (those who are near ) will go into an almost VCR fast forward effect blurring the screen then BAM.. he is on top of you. This helps with the fact that is is pretty much a teleport and helps with the immersion instead of Jason disappearing and reappearing in front of your eyes, though that can still be visible.
4. Rage - Instead of chopping through doors or walls fire off rage and just walk through them like the goddamn Juggernaut. It is the last ability to unlock and I think once you activate it is stays on. Not sure what else Rage boosts.

Jason can slash at players or grab them and execute them with various gruesome deaths.

Both Counselors and Jason get experience for surviving, taking various actions in game, for kills etc and that raises that characters points that are available to spend on perks that will assist with survival or with killing if you are Jason.

This title is being released in I think Q1 2017 and the game is currently in a closed/preorder beta before it goes into open beta.

I suggest checking out the livestream that was linked above, you can get a good idea of the gameplay etc.

I played it a bit last night first match as Jason and it took me a bit to get use to movement but once I found some victims it didn't take long to kill 4 of the 7 players (they rest got away via the police) My second match was as a counselor and that was fun, ended up being the last person alive, and I had no idea I was the only one left. Once Jason has a bead on you, you are pretty much fucked unless someone else can stun him or trap him. When it was just me I tried to play keep away long enough and eventually had the life crushed outta me when he grabbed me in a cabin.

Great atmosphere, really enjoyed the gameplay looking forward to exploring the game a little more this evening. I'll add more to this as I find more info.

Currently the game is multiplayer only but single player with bots will arrive in Summer 2017.

STEAM players - lets get some names down so you don't have to play with filthy pubs :D
PM me your ID and i'll add to the post here.
darkmayo[PA]
joshofalltrades31
CruorEtPulvis
SKELEMANIA

PS4
AngryPuppyEsq
Sirgrinchx
KayleSolo

XBOX
GT - EyeRChris

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
darkmayo on

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Sounds really interesting. I'm assuming the abilities have to be earned in each separate match? Do counselors level up as well?

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Just got all of my beta keys, excited to jump in and kick the tires a little. Been looking forward to this game for a bit since I am a huge fan of campy 80's slashers in general and Friday the 13th in particular.

This weekend will be a slaughterfest, and I am so excited. I just hope that they have balanced the experience such that you have fun regardless of whether you are playing the counselors or Jason. Asymmetric multiplayer games tend to have difficulty making both sides of the equation fun.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Sounds really interesting. I'm assuming the abilities have to be earned in each separate match? Do counselors level up as well?

Nope each match gives exp which then you use to unlock abilities on that counselor (or maybe it gives you points that you can spend on any counselor.. I am not too sure to be honest.

I took a brief look at the counselor I played (the athletic girl) and she had unlocks for fast swimming, more stamina and a few others I cant think of and you can put starter items on them as you unlock more. each skin of jason has different unlocks too I think, like not being harder to be stunned, faster recharge on abilites, faster walking or running.

Not sure how well it will scale or how much of an advantage it will give you. Jason can really kill the shit outta you without much fuss so hopefully it will give you a bit of a edge as you get higher level. Running away from Jason can be pretty futile if nobody is around to help.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Thanks to @joshofalltrades for a beta key! I'm definitely installing this when I get home and running a stream of my gameplay for those who'd want to watch. Should go live around 7pm EST.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Ki Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma Ma (yea yea it sounds like Ch Ch Ch Ch Ha Ha ha ha... )

You did it right, though. The actual sound is the beginning of the words "kill" and "mom"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Can report game is badass even in a buggy beta

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Thanks as well to @joshofalltrades for a key!

I'm genuinely impressed with how much care seems to have been put into this game. Different versions of Jason, each with relevant abilities? Tommy Jarvis making an appearance? The chi chi chi ha ha ha sound? It's definitely a love letter to the series.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Thanks as well to @joshofalltrades for a key!

I'm genuinely impressed with how much care seems to have been put into this game. Different versions of Jason, each with relevant abilities? Tommy Jarvis making an appearance? The chi chi chi ha ha ha sound? It's definitely a love letter to the series.

Tom Savini is executive producer, and Kane Hodder did the mocap for Jason. They're definitely doing it right :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Jason's sense ability probably needs a longer cooldown and decreased range.

• PimsyPimsy Registered User regular
    Once more all praises to @joshofalltrades for the key!

Another thing is that it looks like individual counselor abilities are not unlocked right now, so maybe that's throwing the balance off some.

• CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    How many different Jason skins are there to choose from in the Beta?

76561197967491341.png
    3. There's sackhead Jason, machete Jason and axe Jason.

Axe Jason has a kill animation you can unlock where he brings his axe down on a survivor's crotch. It's labeled: "Chopping wood, in the worst way".

GOTY 2017

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Thanks a lot for the beta key @joshofalltrades , this looks pretty fun . Interested to see how different it is compared to Dead by daylight.

steam_sig.png
    Hmm I wonder if I have more beta keys... I kickstarted for $250

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited December 2016
    Oh.. yes I do :) I have 4 I can give out.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Darkmayo! I will PM you, if you don't mind!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I can now be slaughtered by a masked man OR help lower camp enrollment on a temporary basis! Well, after it installs.

Thanks darkmayo!

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    ok down to 3

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    We gotta get a game set up with everyone here

We gotta get a game set up with everyone here

yes, ill be on later tonight

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Game actually looks pretty fun, saw a few of the big name Twitch streamers playing it to varying degrees of skill. Saw one guy pull off the sleeping bag -> tree kill at one point, which was a nice nod.

It does seem pretty hard to get into a game right now, reminds me a lot of the beta for Dead by Daylight in fact, got into one game where it didn't fully load in and I was stuck looking at some trees in a empty game til it went to "Waiting on players" and let me exit out.

steam_sig.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    It's cool and the atmosphere is REALLY good, but the animations/movement are wicked janky.

That being said, it definitely makes you scared of encountering Jason. Audio is on target for this one.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It's good and I agree on the atmosphere, they nailed it with the sounds and the graphics. Some things are a little messed up, like context interactions and such. Other things like stamina recovering too slow I think will be better when abilities are unlocked. Jason going invisible is kinda BS, but I guess he does that in the movies so that's cool.

Basically it's Dead by Daylight with a F13 paint job, which isn't necessarily bad.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think I like the concept of this one better than Dead by Daylight however, as DbD feels like you're really hobbled when you're the "killer". Like, you're somewhat limited in what you can do as Jason due to also having the awkward, lumbering movement style, but you don't actually feel hobbled like playing as DbD's killers. I think a good part of that is the fact that you can outright kill the victims rather than at best just laying them out and having to find a hook to finish the job, so you can really instill a sense of fear in your opponent rather than just "oh god damnit he caught me, someone come get me out". Conversely, the victims in F13 can also lay Jason out instead if enough of them gang up on him with weapons - even if only temporarily.

I can probably see myself playing this one a fair bit if I get my hands on it. I'll want to see if there will be a robust level/talent system and what it looks like.

Donnicton on
    It does really capture the still moments very well though. The thought of going around outside in the dark brings legitimate apprehension.

camo_sig2.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know this is the game Adam Sessler is doing some sort of work on, maybe in a consultancy role. From what I remember hearing, they actually delayed the game because people asked for AI and Single Player, and they wanted to actually do that. Hopefully that gives this more legs than something like....Evolve.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Counselors have a few ways to survive.
    4. Kill Jason - no idea how do to this.

Obviously, you gotta be the plucky girl and wait for everyone you know to die, hunker down in the one cabin that JUST HAPPENS to contain the bodies of all of your friends, laid out in increasingly gruesome displays, then get lucky and remind Jason of his mom long enough to stab him a few times.

Or you could be psychic. That works, too. You'll fuck him up that way.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Looks like the Single Player / Bots is coming after release according to their website. Early 2017 for the release and Summer for the SP/bots https://friday-the-13th-the-game.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

steam_sig.png
    Anyone up for hosting a private PA game? I managed to get a game in just now, but got saddled with Jason for my first game. It took a while to get used to things, but I managed to kill a couple of counselors. Good times. :D

I'd love to play a private game, so far haven't had any luck getting Jason. Need to play him at least once to really understand how his stuff works

steam_sig.png
    I can set up a private lobby, but I don't think I have anyone in here on Steam, which is what the Invite method uses.

I'll be home in half an hour or so, I hope some of you will still be around to play with then

I should be playing for a while, link to my steam profile is in my sig. Hmm been having disconnect issues over the last 20-30 minutes or so, second time in a row that I've gotten disconnected not that long after the game starts.

steam_sig.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Been watching streams of this, looks pretty fun. I'll have to wait though since I didn't join in on the kickstarter though.

• HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I've been playing a bunch of this, suuuper fun despite bugs.

Only big complaint is combat feels a bit bleh - but that could also be due to no Australian servers. Also it's beta!

However surviving is tons of fun, simply due to the different objectives and the ability to yell at Jason/talk to other counselors.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    The VOIP stuff is brilliant

edited December 2016
    Do the walkie talkies act like global voip to anyone that has one? it seems like they do but I'm not sure.

E- Finally got a game as Jason, helps a lot now that I understand how his abilitys work

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
    Ghlinn wrote: »
    Do the walkie talkies act like global voip to anyone that has one? it seems like they do but I'm not sure.

They do. Otherwise people have to be within like 100 yards or something to hear you.