Ki Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma Ma (yea yea it sounds like Ch Ch Ch Ch Ha Ha ha ha... )
Beta Live stream
So game companies Illfonic and Gun Media (I have no idea what else they have made) originally where trying to make a game that they had called "Summer Camp" where nubile co-eds were hunted down and murdered by a crazed and unstoppable death machine. They kickstarted that idea originally but it fell short of funding, at some point they got the license for the Friday the 13th series and rebranded Summer Camp as Friday the 13th :The Game
Along with the license they got
Sean S. Cunningham - creator of Jason and producer of the original Friday the 13th and the remake http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192446/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Tom Savini - genius of film practical effects and a sex machine http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0767741/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Kane Hodder - was Jason in many of the films and did all the mo-cap for Jason for the game http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387987/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Harry Manfredini - composer and creator of the iconic music from the Friday the 13th music. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006185/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
So what is this game about.
It is a lopsided survival based horror game, you have multiple people playing our Camp Counselors trying to survive and escape from Jason Voorhees.
Each Counselor is based on various standard horror tropes, from the girl next door, to the preppy kid or the "bad girl" each one has various strengths and weaknesses that will assist or hinder them in game.
Counselors have a few ways to survive.
1. Repair the phone and call the police, then await for the cops to arrive so they can escape with them.
2. Repair one of the cars in the map, needing a battery, gas and the car keys, once all those are found and the car is repaired you have to drive out of the map and from what I have seen if Jason gets in front of the car it will veer to the side potentially crashing it.
3. Survive for 20 minutes, at that point the match will end and Jason will return to his cabin where his mothers severed head is.
4. Kill Jason - no idea how do to this.
Counselors have a stamina bar that allows them to run, when you Stamina is low or out you will not be able to outrun Jason.
There is also a fear mechanic that really messes with your character, causing them to trip, hides your HUD and makes you stand out more to Jason if he is looking for you, fear increases when you see Jason, see corpses and other in game situations that I am not fully aware of yet.
Death comes swiftly for counselors so when you die there is a chance to spawn back into the game as famous Friday the 13th survivor Tommy Jarvis if someone has contacted him during the match via phone.
Still gathering info on what various items do and the specifics on what the counselors are good at.
Jason Voorhees is the last member of the match, one player will control various incarnations of Jason each with different kills available and perks, I had only played the original Sack head Jason, but I did see that one of the other Jason could "run" to help him catch his victims faster.
Jason's objective is of course to kill all the other players, he has 4 main abilities that allow him to get around the map.
1. Morph - this is a long or shorter distance teleport that is always available, it is inaccurate and it puts you into the mini map when you want to use it. This allows you to traverse the map from one side to the other or for shorter distances put you in front of a player so you can cut them off. Players can hear you Morph if they are close.
2. Sense - this unlocks fairly quickly and lets Jason sense players who have higher levels of fear and lets you see if anyone is inside of a building (wont tell you where in the building they might be) This ability refills slowly so turn it off and on when needed.
3. Shift - This is the quick movement of Jason that is the 3rd ability to unlock, it also refills slowly. This allows you to gain ground on your targets with more precision. When you use this Jason disappears and he auto runs forward and you control how he moves and when he stops (you have to stop the ability or you can blow past your targets pretty quick) When using this the counselors screens (those who are near ) will go into an almost VCR fast forward effect blurring the screen then BAM.. he is on top of you. This helps with the fact that is is pretty much a teleport and helps with the immersion instead of Jason disappearing and reappearing in front of your eyes, though that can still be visible.
4. Rage - Instead of chopping through doors or walls fire off rage and just walk through them like the goddamn Juggernaut. It is the last ability to unlock and I think once you activate it is stays on. Not sure what else Rage boosts.
Jason can slash at players or grab them and execute them with various gruesome deaths.
Both Counselors and Jason get experience for surviving, taking various actions in game, for kills etc and that raises that characters points that are available to spend on perks that will assist with survival or with killing if you are Jason.
This title is being released in I think Q1 2017 and the game is currently in a closed/preorder beta before it goes into open beta.
I suggest checking out the livestream that was linked above, you can get a good idea of the gameplay etc.
I played it a bit last night first match as Jason and it took me a bit to get use to movement but once I found some victims it didn't take long to kill 4 of the 7 players (they rest got away via the police) My second match was as a counselor and that was fun, ended up being the last person alive, and I had no idea I was the only one left. Once Jason has a bead on you, you are pretty much fucked unless someone else can stun him or trap him. When it was just me I tried to play keep away long enough and eventually had the life crushed outta me when he grabbed me in a cabin.
Great atmosphere, really enjoyed the gameplay looking forward to exploring the game a little more this evening. I'll add more to this as I find more info.
Currently the game is multiplayer only but single player with bots will arrive in Summer 2017.
STEAM players - lets get some names down so you don't have to play with filthy pubs
PM me your ID and i'll add to the post here.
GT - EyeRChris