As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[YouTube]s to Share With The Class

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Sure, but let's not pretend they are somehow equal.
    There's a difference between "i want to be" and "i want to possess".
    Which is largely the difference between male and female objectification in lot of fantasy art and depictions.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What I have gathered from that Stan Lee video is that most comic artists draw things because they look cool

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Can we all agree that Fury is a real silly thing to replace one of the traditional Horsemen's domains with?

Also Strife.

I get it - Famine and Pestilence would be hard to make games out of, but c'mon, people. You could've even used Conquest! Conquest was right there!

Famine and Pestilence still exist. Fury is the sister of the Horsemen, as far as I understand

They've never gone with the usual four horsemen.

The four horsemen in Darksiders are War, Death, Fury, and Strife.

So basically war, another war, war again, and more war.

Also; in the original comic that was released alongside the first Darksiders, one of the four was shown to be a woman.

Unfair to Death, who had a very strong Grim Reaper vibe going to him (not to mention a pretty strong Death theme in his plot, with plenty of soul retrieval going on).
    Fury? Strife? Yeah, kinda War 2 and 3. Although I'm thinking that if done right Strife could have a nice plot representing internal conflict.

They could have made it interesting by using, say, corruption.

Strife is way too similiar to War, and Fury is just...boring War.

despite what you may be lead to believe by the shoulderpads, it's not a blizzard game tho

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/DLDJbYlkTXg

this one doesn't have anything nsfw in it, unless I seriously missed a secret donger or something

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In doesn't have anything sfw in it either, because it does not exist

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    curses!

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man, anybody named Paul Ryan needs to take a stand because right now there are two of you out there doing severe damage to the brand

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Sure, but let's not pretend they are somehow equal.
    There's a difference between "i want to be" and "i want to possess".
    Which is largely the difference between male and female objectification in lot of fantasy art and depictions.

Which is the whole reason why the big burly male barbarian isn't "objectification." He is not reduced to a thing, he's a power fantasy.*

Now there's still plenty of good arguments that constantly telling men that this unrealistic body is what it looks like to be powerful and cool is harmful in a variety of ways! Just because it's not objectification doesn't mean it doesn't have other impacts!

But the message is, at least, aimed at men.

Female barbarians, on the other hand, are typically not aimed at a female audience. They're not meant to be identified with, they're designed as sex objects - if sex objects a bit out of mainstream fashion.

*Though I will admit that particular male barbarian is a little farther on the sexy pinup side of things than dude barbarians usually are.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The conan board game was pretty sweet

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That Conan game in question was sort of fun in a vacuum

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

How did you get in a vacuum? More importantly, how did you get out?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    You can't because it is also frictionless.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Specifically the introductory area. Tortage is absolutely brilliant start to finish.

Then you leave and the rest of the game sucks.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Specifically the introductory area. Tortage is absolutely brilliant start to finish.

then you leave and the rest of the game didn't even release in a finished state

it was an early access subscription MMO before the concept of early access existed

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

it was an early access subscription MMO before the concept of early access existed

That image is the cover to the XB360/PS3 Conan brawler, which is actually pretty fun. Kind of at the tail end of the old B-tier games you used to get.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

I love that they also made a nexus mod to have this replace the game intro

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

That image is the cover to the XB360/PS3 Conan brawler, which is actually pretty fun. Kind of at the tail end of the old B-tier games you used to get.

Yeah that was the game I was thinking of. Though they are also right about Age of Conan, Tortage was actually a really cool way to start off playing an MMO. Shame about the rest.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Diablo's Barbarians are a perfect example of pretty equal genders. The male, looks like an older version of Conan, with loincloth and whatever.

The Female? While attractive, she's also extremely powerful. Same body size as the male, no bikini, (aside from the default outfit), and muscles that could work as armour. I'm a straight chick, and if she asked me out, I would totally consider it. (Although, with her size, I'm pretty sure she could ignore me if I said no)

I think size difference is a way to tell if a barbarian woman is purely for objectification. If the male is a burly dude, and she's a waif wearing a metal bikini.....odds are it's just for the sexy.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Diablo's Barbarians are a perfect example of pretty equal genders. The male, looks like an older version of Conan, with loincloth and whatever.

The Female? While attractive, she's also extremely powerful. Same body size as the male, no bikini, (aside from the default outfit), and muscles that could work as armour. I'm a straight chick, and if she asked me out, I would totally consider it. (Although, with her size, I'm pretty sure she could ignore me if I said no)

I think size difference is a way to tell if a barbarian woman is purely for objectification. If the male is a burly dude, and she's a waif wearing a metal bikini.....odds are it's just for the sexy.

For Honor does something similar - all the female characters are just as armored as their male versions.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

For Honor does something similar - all the female characters are just as armored as their male versions.

Not to mention that the main villain, Apollyon, is a bad ass.

• Options
    I wish we could get For Honor's world and art style and combat in a non-multiplayer game. The game is absolutely gorgeous and the character design is fantastic. And I will never play it.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It has a campaign?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It's about 5 hours long and basically only serves to introduce you to all the classes. Not something to buy the game over.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    It's about 5 hours long and basically only serves to introduce you to all the classes. Not something to buy the game over.

While it is true that the campaign itself was not worth the price of admission it was certainly much better than it needed to be.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And another YouTube goose learns the law frowns on 'pranks' like removing stop signs:
    It appears that he realizes what he does isn’t really about pulling off pranks, it’s about doing stupid things. The stupid thing that landed him in jail was dressing up as a road worker and removing two neighborhood stop signs. In the video, he and his friends laugh as cars go through the intersection without stopping. And... that’s it. For whatever reason, someone determined that the intersection needed a stop sign for safety reasons; he decided that it didn’t, and the prank is over.

It doesn’t seem that anyone was hurt, but Ross claims in the video that he’s charged with third-degree felony grand theft and faces up to five years in prison. He wants his fans to chip in and help get him out of this trouble. Not only is this just stupid, it might be a violation of YouTube’s community guidelines. “Harmful or dangerous content” is prohibited and this could certainly be construed as promoting dangerous behavior.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    And another YouTube goose learns the law frowns on 'pranks' like removing stop signs:
    It appears that he realizes what he does isn’t really about pulling off pranks, it’s about doing stupid things. The stupid thing that landed him in jail was dressing up as a road worker and removing two neighborhood stop signs. In the video, he and his friends laugh as cars go through the intersection without stopping. And... that’s it. For whatever reason, someone determined that the intersection needed a stop sign for safety reasons; he decided that it didn’t, and the prank is over.

It doesn’t seem that anyone was hurt, but Ross claims in the video that he’s charged with third-degree felony grand theft and faces up to five years in prison. He wants his fans to chip in and help get him out of this trouble. Not only is this just stupid, it might be a violation of YouTube’s community guidelines. “Harmful or dangerous content” is prohibited and this could certainly be construed as promoting dangerous behavior.

Yup, pretty sure you're not allowed to solicit crowd-funding to pay for criminal acts.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Read through that quote, saw the name "Ross," had to click and see if it was Game Grumps Ross.

It wasn't.

God Damnit, Ross. No, not that one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Read through that quote, saw the name "Ross," had to click and see if it was Game Grumps Ross.

It wasn't.

God Damnit, Ross. No, not that one.

Ya have to check though, is the thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

It wasn't.

God Damnit, Ross (not that one)

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.