As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[YouTube]s to Share With The Class

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

This had a special surprise I was not expecting.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/h8Faf_7gNpE

People Eat Their Own Face

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Extra History, in which omg I nominated this topic and it won their vote and my name is in the credits as a result aww yiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rHSiN0vKk

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nerd.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Nerd.

What I really want is a series on Aurelian. But that particular vote was for a US-specific topic. It narrowly beat out Teddy Roosevelt.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that sounds like a fucking nightmare job

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

There are worse jobs out there

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

There are worse jobs out there

It's not a contest.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

"We've found these same markings before. It appears to be a subset of what we've seen on the Reddit Stone."

• Options
    I can only assume that dank memes will be like beat poetry in a couple of generations. Quite a few teenagers will be smug about their familiarity with the genre, and everyone else will just think "Oh, okay. Those people are insufferable assholes. Got it."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I can only assume that dank memes will be like beat poetry in a couple of generations. Quite a few teenagers will be smug about their familiarity with the genre, and everyone else will just think "Oh, okay. Those people are insufferable assholes. Got it."

In a few decades?

I'm pretty sure that happens now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

A question I've asked myself many times.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgevMWzLxY

This video is available in 8k resolution. It's the highest-quality rip possible.

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

A question I've asked myself many times.

The secret is probably the amount of their off time they spend hunting their fellow humans for sport

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Extra History, in which omg I nominated this topic and it won their vote and my name is in the credits as a result aww yiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rHSiN0vKk

They also forgot the original loud mouth Atheist Thomas Paine
    He had a hand in both our constitution, and the French one which was far more messy than ours
    As he said he called the Revolutionary generation "the children of the twice-born," because in their childhood they had experienced the Great Awakening, which, for the first time, had tied Americans together, transcending denominational and ethnic boundaries and giving them a sense of patriotism

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    How do you do the articles of confederation and skip Paine?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    It never gets tired because I'm still a ten-year-old who laughs at farts ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2H7Ja93Wg

And a grown man acting like an idiot and a charlatan deserves his comeuppance.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

?

I thought Common Sense and his other writings were more about the general argument for independence rather than the structure of how an American Government should be. A perfunctory googling suggests he didn't really have a hand in the formulation of the Articles, which is the part of the story we're at right now.

• Options

?

I thought Common Sense and his other writings were more about the general argument for independence rather than the structure of how an American Government should be. A perfunctory googling suggests he didn't really have a hand in the formulation of the Articles, which is the part of the story we're at right now.

He talked Washington into joining the revolution
    His papers and articles is what brought the ideal of the revolution from being muted to a open talk
    And many other things
    He is forgotten because he is the original loud mouthed atheist

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Oh shit. I think that's the first time I've ever heard another human being reference David the Gnome.

I loved that show back in the day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options

?

His papers and articles is what brought the ideal of the revolution from being muted to a open talk
    And many other things

Yes, but that's all about the wider War of Independence, rather than the specific topic of the Articles of Confederation. There will be doubleplus overlap, but not everyone will get a mention. They probably only mentioned Ben Franklin at this stage (rather than at the Constitution phase, which I don't know if they're actually covering) because his was one of the first stabs at unified American Government, and John Dickinson nicked bits of it.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

?

And many other things

But in this context, Paine was also so far ahead of his time that he didn't really have much influence on how the government was originally set up. He was talking about a guaranteed minimum income, just like what we're talking about and a few places are just starting to experiment with now, back in the late 1700s and early 1800s. He was vehemently anti-slavery and so was sidelined in order to not piss off the Southerners. Even his stances on voting (it's a right and everybody should have it) were so radical that they still aren't really accepted in half of American thought and he found himself disenfranchised when he tried to vote in the 1800s.

How badly Thomas Paine was treated in his life was a damn shame because he was on the right side of history. Even in his death, because some idiot fanboy managed to dig up his corpse and then lose his bones.

• Options
    Paine, Hero of Alexandria, and Da Vinci are my top three contenders for "time travelers whose time machines stranded them in the past."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Galen is pretty fucking suspicious too

• Options
    I also like the idea of Democritus as a time traveler trying to explain atomic theory to everyone, and getting shot down and humiliated by Aristotle just because he doesn't speak very good Ancient Greek.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Oh shit. I think that's the first time I've ever heard another human being reference David the Gnome.

I loved that show back in the day.

The ending ruined my childhood.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I also like the idea of Democritus as a time traveler trying to explain atomic theory to everyone, and getting shot down and humiliated by Aristotle just because he doesn't speak very good Ancient Greek.

I figure time travelers will be giant nerds and will inevitably be found at precisely 3/14/1592 6:53:59, either just giggling to themselves or partying.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

This is really weird.

Well, he's not wrong about it being a cult classic. I unapologetically love that film.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I'm not usually on board with the most expensive option, but that egg looked fucking delicious.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Paine, Hero of Alexandria, and Da Vinci are my top three contenders for "time travelers whose time machines stranded them in the past."

I always figured P.K. Dick used an imperfect time machine that made him a touch crazy.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.