As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember if I liked any of the Symphonia cast, and I'm pretty sure the answer is nope.

For folks who have beat Beseria, what's your play time clocking in at? My biggest problem with Vesperia and Xillia was they both felt like, at least 10-15 hours to long.

The pacing is still the worst part about it, but everything else is much stronger

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Symphonia is very conventional, which I guess is a polite way of saying "very boring for the first ten to fifteen hours or so until stuff starts actually happening."' I did like that you could sequence break without the game freaking out, but going back to play it now feels really rough.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Symphonia was real fucking good when it came out

Unless you're dying to play a Tales ass Tales game it's probably not worth going back to

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tales of Symphonia is an interesting historical piece because it's almost singlehandedly responsible for the state and success of Tales as a series in the West

Regal, if I remember, is a pretty fun character to play, though if you have someone else to play with he just breaks the whole game. My brother and I, using Lloyd and Regal, juggled the secret ultra boss to death while taking next to no damage, and this was before either of us was good at video games

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    LAPHICET FUCKING RULES

are you at THAT PART

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Destiny and Eternia I can easily go back to. The 2D combat has aged rather well and the stories are still rather charming.

Symphonia was kind of plodding even when it came out and definitely had some pacing issues, then Legendia was just hot trash. It's been good going from there at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Good Symphonia characters: Raine

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen a game, let alone a JRPG, throw as dark and tragic as Berseria is being right now. Zestiria was all about the big Hero defeating the big Bad Guy, but it was all impersonal. He didn't have a connection to the Bad Guy, he just needed to find out who he was, gain power, and beat him. That's not the case in Berseria. Velvet and Artorius are intricately linked by blood and memories and everything they do has affected the other. They both have their reasons for doing what they've done and neither are willing to back down. One claims to be the light to save the world while the other accepts the role of the devouring darkness, but neither are that different from the other.

I haven't even reached the end of this rollercoaster yet and I can already tell Berseria is going to be my favorite Tales game of all time. Maybe even my GOTY.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I have so many titles to work through, stop making me want to drop off the wagon and get Berseria.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    EVERYTHING GOT WORSE. HOW, HOW DO THINGS KEEP GETTING WORSE.
    Goddamn Laphicet and Magilou, way to prove you're the best.

Madican on
  • Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I have so many titles to work through, stop making me want to drop off the wagon and get Berseria.

Never. Buy Berseria. Play Berseria. Love Berseria.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    never buy berseria, got it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »

Never. Buy Berseria. Play Berseria. Love Berseria.

But I just started The Last Guardian :(

• Options
    Okay the rollercoaster finally got a part where I can put it on pause and go to bed.

I will resume the ride in the morning.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Welp, that's two for two with Trails games that have a character that's in love with their adopted sibling. Jurps!

• Options
    is adoption really common in japan compared to the west? that trope comes up so often.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    is adoption really common in japan compared to the west? that trope comes up so often.

Sort of? But not how you'd expect.

Adult adoption is actually weirdly common for business reasons.

Child adoption is really rare though. For a couple reasons.

One being that many kids in the system still have legal guardians. Like their parents gave them up but legally they retain guardianship. So they need to agree to adoptions. If they can even be located.

Also if the child is older than 6? I think, then once you adopt them and get them added to your family register, their parents also have to be added. ... Which is a real bad thing if their parents get into trouble because then they are technically part of your family too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    You are all monsters... I now have Persona 5 pre-ordered. This is all your fault.

• Options

Sort of? But not how you'd expect.

Adult adoption is actually weirdly common for business reasons.

Child adoption is really rare though. For a couple reasons.

One being that many kids in the system still have legal guardians. Like their parents gave them up but legally they retain guardianship. So they need to agree to adoptions. If they can even be located.

Also if the child is older than 6? I think, then once you adopt them and get them added to your family register, their parents also have to be added. ... Which is a real bad thing if their parents get into trouble because then they are technically part of your family too.

so then is the reason for the trope just that incest is really popular but also still taboo or what

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's ok because he's not really her brother.

It's ok because she's actually a 1000 year-old dragon.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I can't even decide who my favorite Berseira party member is.

Eizen and Magilou are in the running for sure though.

Also, how the fuck does this game have a child character that's actually awesome? That's like, against the rules. And I don't mean adorable in the Nanako sense. I mean awesome.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I guess I'm downloading the beseria demo

onee-chan

Jars on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember if I liked any of the Symphonia cast, and I'm pretty sure the answer is nope.

For folks who have beat Beseria, what's your play time clocking in at? My biggest problem with Vesperia and Xillia was they both felt like, at least 10-15 hours to long.

My clock was about 87 hours. I did most the character side quests aka every one i could find but I think one or two i didn't stumble on. And probably had 5-8 of dead time from various occasions I left the system on when doing other things. Was a lot longer than I expected.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Look just smh if I can't discuss sticking my weiner in something illegal in the JRPG thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    @I needed a gnome to post Interesting choice to switch to a Hildegard Valentine icon.

I didn't really enjoy Shadow Hearts: From the New World that much outside of the soundtrack and better gameplay. There was lots of good humor, but the main story kinda fell flat and I ended up not giving a shit about the characters even after the big reveal.

The story is such a downstep from the first two games.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    @I needed a gnome to post Interesting choice to switch to a Hildegard Valentine icon.

I didn't really enjoy Shadow Hearts: From the New World that much outside of the soundtrack and better gameplay. There was lots of good humor, but the main story kinda fell flat and I ended up not giving a shit about the characters even after the big reveal.

The story is such a downstep from the first two games.

I mean, where do you go after the masterpiece of Shadow Hearts 2?

• Options
    Shadow Hearts 2 made me cry like no other JRPG made me cry before.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    shadow hearts from the new world features shockingly good native american characters for that era of games

that's not a high bar to clear and there's obviously not really any representation of actual tribes, but they're not caricatures either. they're just standard JRPG archetypes that are allowed to be native americans instead of white or japanese characters.

for that era, from any developer, that's kinda crazy!

also there's a fat cat gangster who is the real brains behind al capone

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The fat cat gangster is also a drunken master movie starlet.

Frank was the only character I didn't really like in that game, and that's largely because it just felt like they tried too hard to recapture what made Joachim so great, but fell short.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Yeah. I enjoyed the set pieces and the comedy.

I didn't enjoy the main cast so much and didn't the main story fell flat for me. But the setpieces were amusing and would have been great if the story went pure comedy.

• Options
    Berseria hit It Got Worse bedrock and now it's tunneling even deeper.
    "Okay I guess this world of mental zombies isn't too bad to deal with as I finish the game but wait what's that guy do--ARE THEY FUCKING COMMITTING SUICIDE?! WHAT THE HELL ARTORIUS?!"

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I know we don't talk about Dokkan Battle that much in here, but I just pulled Omega Shenron and I'm Very Excited about that.

• Options
    Chara CaroliChara Caroli Canes VenaticiRegistered User regular
    I just received a certain something in the mail. A 3D print I ordered back in January:
    4r6unysscghn.png
    Lightning's pendant from FFXIII.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Sharon Begley
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Berseria, post fishing.
    Oh my god, the Reaper's curse shattered the fake coin.

I'm dying.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    shadow hearts from the new world features shockingly good native american characters for that era of games

that's not a high bar to clear and there's obviously not really any representation of actual tribes, but they're not caricatures either. they're just standard JRPG archetypes that are allowed to be native americans instead of white or japanese characters.

for that era, from any developer, that's kinda crazy!

also there's a fat cat gangster who is the real brains behind al capone

The cat is also a master of Drunken Fist Kung fu. Also there is a Brazilian ninja and a boy detective with an anger powered light saber

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's ok because he's not really her brother.

It's ok because she's actually a 1000 year-old dragon.

The important thing is that she's hot and totally legal

Totally

• Options
    I don't think I was supposed to fight this guy in Rokurou's sidequest yet (I'm at level 31 and this dude was at 73...), but luckily Velvet therion form is so OP that I was able to power through by face tanking everything at 1HP and letting the casters actually do damage.

This isn't my favorite Tales combat system, and mass casters are still stupid annoying, but damn if overpowering everything by chaining demon arms isn't satisfying as hell.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I just got to Eastgand, beat the Morgana Woods fight, and oh god this is gonna be so fucked, isn't it?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I just got to Eastgand, beat the Morgana Woods fight, and oh god this is gonna be so fucked, isn't it?

buckle the fuck in

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    spoilers for "The Truth of the Past" sidequest:
    After viewing the second memory of Artorius in the Earthpulse, I wondered why the party was being shown those specific memories, as opposed to the countless memories of humans past and present. Immediately afterwards, there was a dialogue sequence in which Laphicet asked the SAME EXACT QUESTION. I was so blown away by the timing that I laughed out loud out of sheer surprise and joy.

Basically, one of the greatest things about Tales of Berseria is that the cast seem like living, breathing, intelligent beings who often ask themselves the same questions and express the same thoughts that the player is thinking - and, even more impressively, at the right moments. This game most definitely ranks among my favorite RPGs in the last decade.

balerbower on
This discussion has been closed.