As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I didn't see that. I'll give that a go.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    I'm just going to say some thoughts about automata, big spoilers probably?
    so I beat the game and got the true ending and there's no questions I have left, everything has been resolved and yet I feel like I'm missing something. The entire game I felt like was building to some big reveals that just never came. It even still did the sequel baiting up until the end too, like when you go into the library from the first game inside the tower. That was a real oh shit moment for me but it ultimately didn't have any significance besides looking cool, same with all the gestalt files and the yonah record. It was neat to see the references to the first game but they are all meaningless and irrelevant to THIS game, and so I'm left feeling almost like the end of the phantom pain where plot elements were building to a head and then just... ending. At least this game has a resolution unlike the phantom pain, and I really liked the options for 9S to stay or go (even if the option doesn't impact the ending). Overall I did really like the game, I just can't shake the feeling that there was supposed to be something more

Full Game Automata Spoilers
    You seem to be disregarding that the files on the Gestalt Project were a major catalyst in pushing the machine lifeforms towards individual and humanized identities. Whether you take that as commentary on how video games shape the player's identity (etc...) or simply as a plot point illustrating how the greatest failure of humanity managed to infect a non-organic construct and produce similar consequences, it should still be clear that those "easter eggs" carried meaning and relevance to the story of Automata.

But, uh, generally speaking what you describe is just a conflict between your expectations and the actual outcome, rather than something inherently faulty with the game. Whereas MGSV is objectively unfinished and compromised.
    I don't see where you're drawing the conclusion that the gestalt project led to the machines gaining intelligence, that seems like a stretch not backed up in the game. I totally understand the parallel themes of the replicants and machines becoming self actualized, like it makes sense from a thematic perspective that this game is a sequel to nier as it is an expansion on ideas presented in that game, but this story works completely the same as a stand alone. The gestalt files you find are basically just refreshers so you can see those parallels, but they don't actually have significance for the plot. Also a lot of the other nier references, like the library or the robots looking like emil, really didn't have payoffs either

Also my point of bringing up MGSV was exactly what you said. This game HAS an ending, all plot points wrapped up, it just feels to me like there's some missing (but there's not). It's ENTIRELY a matter of my expectations as opposed to the reality. I've been thinking about my expectations in relation to media a bunch which is why I brought it up. For instance my expectations for breath of the wild made me like it less, but my expectations for gone home made me like it more.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The dodging in this game is like gliding around enemies on ice skates.

I didn't think it could get more ridiculous until I found chips that give you witch time after a perfect dodge.

I can't be touched.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I didn't see that. I'll give that a go.

Yea I have dodge on O and shoot on R1.

I'm just used to dodge on O in games and it allows me to just mash O forever and never stop shooting.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

I didn't think it could get more ridiculous until I found chips that give you witch time after a perfect dodge.

I can't be touched.

you need a chip for that? I know I get something kicking in when I dodge at the right time but there's so much going on I can't quite tell what it is

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I haven't played the retail Nier Automata, but I think in the demo the perfect dodge just gives you extra damage on your next attack. It felt really lenient on getting the perfect dodge trigger. The chip he's talking about probably gives actualy bayonetta style witch time after a perfect dodge, which means like 2 seconds where you're attacking and moving way faster than anything else is, basically free damage.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    so I beat the game and got the true ending and there's no questions I have left, everything has been resolved and yet I feel like I'm missing something. The entire game I felt like was building to some big reveals that just never came. It even still did the sequel baiting up until the end too, like when you go into the library from the first game inside the tower. That was a real oh shit moment for me but it ultimately didn't have any significance besides looking cool, same with all the gestalt files and the yonah record. It was neat to see the references to the first game but they are all meaningless and irrelevant to THIS game, and so I'm left feeling almost like the end of the phantom pain where plot elements were building to a head and then just... ending. At least this game has a resolution unlike the phantom pain, and I really liked the options for 9S to stay or go (even if the option doesn't impact the ending). Overall I did really like the game, I just can't shake the feeling that there was supposed to be something more

You seem to be disregarding that the files on the Gestalt Project were a major catalyst in pushing the machine lifeforms towards individual and humanized identities. Whether you take that as commentary on how video games shape the player's identity (etc...) or simply as a plot point illustrating how the greatest failure of humanity managed to infect a non-organic construct and produce similar consequences, it should still be clear that those "easter eggs" carried meaning and relevance to the story of Automata.

But, uh, generally speaking what you describe is just a conflict between your expectations and the actual outcome, rather than something inherently faulty with the game. Whereas MGSV is objectively unfinished and compromised.
    I don't see where you're drawing the conclusion that the gestalt project led to the machines gaining intelligence, that seems like a stretch not backed up in the game. I totally understand the parallel themes of the replicants and machines becoming self actualized, like it makes sense from a thematic perspective that this game is a sequel to nier as it is an expansion on ideas presented in that game, but this story works completely the same as a stand alone. The gestalt files you find are basically just refreshers so you can see those parallels, but they don't actually have significance for the plot. Also a lot of the other nier references, like the library or the robots looking like emil, really didn't have payoffs either

Also my point of bringing up MGSV was exactly what you said. This game HAS an ending, all plot points wrapped up, it just feels to me like there's some missing (but there's not). It's ENTIRELY a matter of my expectations as opposed to the reality. I've been thinking about my expectations in relation to media a bunch which is why I brought it up. For instance my expectations for breath of the wild made me like it less, but my expectations for gone home made me like it more.

Well, my post was in response to the sense that you were using language like "sequel-baiting" and a comparison with MGSV to suggest that the absence you perceive within Automata's story is suggestive of a failure on the part of the developers/creator to follow through on their intent (as MGSV, for various reasons, does have missing/phantom content). Whereas, as you're acknowledging, what's absent is content that you desire that would make Automata more concretely connected to Nier on a plot-based level. Which is, to be clear, a completely fair opinion to have.

As to the more spoilery stuff:
    Upon beating the third scenario, you should have received the "Machine Research Report" in which Jackass does her best to summarize the plot. Part of which addresses how the Gestalt Report and information regarding Nier (the man) had been incorporated in the machine consciousness and caused the network structure to change, which eventually resulted in the formation of the machine ego, N2.

Much of that is covered in A2's portion of the final chapter as she traverses the Tower and encounters the Red Girl/N2.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

Well, my post was in response to the sense that you were using language like "sequel-baiting" and a comparison with MGSV to suggest that the absence you perceive within Automata's story is suggestive of a failure on the part of the developers/creator to follow through on their intent (as MGSV, for various reasons, does have missing/phantom content). Whereas, as you're acknowledging, what's absent is content that you desire that would make Automata more concretely connected to Nier on a plot-based level. Which is, to be clear, a completely fair opinion to have.

Upon beating the third scenario, you should have received the "Machine Research Report" in which Jackass does her best to summarize the plot. Part of which addresses how the Gestalt Report and information regarding Nier (the man) had been incorporated in the machine consciousness and caused the network structure to change, which eventually resulted in the formation of the machine ego, N2.

Much of that is covered in A2's portion of the final chapter as she traverses the Tower and encounters the Red Girl/N2.

Lmao I must have missed that I'll have to check when I get home

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Super Robot Wars V (oyage) is so good guys.

The crossovers causing certain characters to actually have suport groups, allies, and people willing to knock them out of their shit just improves thing further. Ange and Shinji get over their personality and mental problems for example and start kicking manly and womanly ass.

The game even has the Shinji/Karou OTP.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Lmao I must have missed that I'll have to check when I get home

It just shows up with zero fanfare.
    But Jackass is the best, it's true.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Damn, it sounds like the PC port of Nier is bad. Lots of technical issues for people, freezing, crashing, I guess other stuff. That's unfortunate.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Best automata pun
    The first playthrough as 9s is ending "Not 2b"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Damn, it sounds like the PC port of Nier is bad. Lots of technical issues for people, freezing, crashing, I guess other stuff. That's unfortunate.
    Barf. I waited on Automata specifically to play it on better hardware.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Best automata pun
    The first playthrough as 9s is ending "Not 2b"

BIG Route C spoilers
    Also, she's not 2B.

BOOM!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I can't be touched.

you need a chip for that? I know I get something kicking in when I dodge at the right time but there's so much going on I can't quite tell what it is

You're probably just seeing the perfect dodge animation. It has a special little flippy thing and I think some sorta screen effect. It's very noticeable.

The chip adds a slowdown effect for some time on top of that.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I can't be touched.

No a perfect dodge gives a split second moment for you to pick the counter attack you want, that's the default.

The Overclock chips slow time after that by a considerable amount. Pretty much to the point of stopping it.

The higher the level the longer it works. I'm up to 3 seconds on the one I have I think.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The fact that this game gives you both Rising's parry and Bayonetta's Witch Time is aces.

• Options
    The fact that this game gives you both Rising's parry and Bayonetta's Witch Time is aces.

It's also Bayonetta's parry! But yeah they give you a ton of options for the combat, it's really lovely.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, Yangus is just... the best dude.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think Automata also has dodge offset.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man, Yangus is just... the best dude.

He really is.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Not surprising. Platinum loves that mechanic.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Not surprising. Platinum loves that mechanic.

Give someone a dodge, and they'll combo until they need to use it.

Teach someone dodge offset, and they'll combo for life.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

More specifically it's a chip you can buy at some point. The text says something like "continue your combo after a dodge".

And yeah, I equipped 2 witch time chips to see if they would stack. Now when I successfully dodge something I get like 5 seconds of slow-mo. It feels like a goddamn eternity.

Moving for 5 seconds in the stopped time.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    You can still take damage in Overclock, so watch out for swinging arms and such.

• Options
    Oh yeah, and some minor gameplay stuff from Route B, I'm curious if anyone else figured it out
    9s actually has 2 combo strings per weapon, that I could find anyway. He has the default mash square combo, and another one for pausing after the first attack, and then continuing the combo

So like Bayonetta or DMC: square, pause for a second, mash square. I only messed around with the spear and short sword but his pause combos seem more aoe focused. More swinging the weapons around.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and some minor gameplay stuff from Route B, I'm curious if anyone else figured it out
    9s actually has 2 combo strings per weapon, that I could find anyway. He has the default mash square combo, and another one for pausing after the first attack, and then continuing the combo

So like Bayonetta or DMC: square, pause for a second, mash square. I only messed around with the spear and short sword but his pause combos seem more aoe focused. More swinging the weapons around.
    Yup, that's how he does his heavy attacks. You can also start a heavy chain by pressing dodge and light attack at the same time. 2B can also do dodge + light attack, but for her it's more like an Offensive Defense dodge attack. Dodge + heavy attack is also a unique attack.

[edit] Actually it's more like dodge, then press an attack button immediately.

[edit2] 9S can also do dodge + light attack in the air to do a heavy attack that resets his air combo. Always something new to learn!

Deans on
  • Options
    Deans wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

Yup, that's how he does his heavy attacks. You can also start a heavy chain by pressing dodge and light attack at the same time. 2B can also do dodge + light attack, but for her it's more like an Offensive Defense dodge attack. Dodge + heavy attack is also a unique attack.

[edit] Actually it's more like dodge, then press an attack button immediately.

[edit2] 9S can also do dodge + light attack in the air to do a heavy attack that resets his air combo. Always something new to learn!

Yessss, this is good information. Thank you.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    More combat quirks! 2B can do dodge + light attack in mid-air to do the same dodging attack, and dodge + heavy attack to do an angled plunge attack with farther range. Doing that angled plunge attack with a short sword brings her down immediately without throwing the sword down first. It seems like you can cancel pretty much anything into her dodge + heavy attack, which lets you do plunge attacks instantly after jumping instead of her launcher, and cancel her light attack chain into a heavy attack chain without doing the normal light into heavy combo finisher.

Platinum sure gives you a lot to chew on with their games.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Automata
    I wasn't expecting a shooter/Smash TV opening. Quite nice.

I've been playing on Normal and this game has been showing me that I might be getting too old for these kind of games. I've used up most of my recovery items and not even at the first boss yet. Then I died to the
    twin buzzsaws.
    It's hard for me to fire the pod and dodge at the same time. I'll give it a few more tries before I drop it to Easy.

Still a beautiful game and runs perfectly on my PC.

One thing I can definitely say about Nier: Automata is that it gets a lot easier as you go along. It does do the thing where it gives you a lot of cool stuff initially, and then it strips most of it away, but it also becomes a lot less intense after the beginning section. It kind of sucks that there's no checkpoint system up until that point though.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Certainly customizing chips evens out the fight a bit. You also start to learn enemy attack patterns. I'd say the difficulty remains the same, you just get better at playing it.

So neat thing I learned last night...
    Hidden throughout the world are friendly Wise Robots you can hack. Each one has a unique hacking game for S9 to play. I'm not sure what it'll accomplish, but I'm gonna try to track them all down before heading in for the finale.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Psst hey JRPG thread

Does anyone know a place to legally purchase the digital soundtrack for Persona 4? I wanna listen to those smooth jams

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Psst hey JRPG thread

Does anyone know a place to legally purchase the digital soundtrack for Persona 4? I wanna listen to those smooth jams

I have looked very hard and cannot find one. It seems to be available only as an import cd.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The PS2 copy that I own has some of the soundtrack on an accompanying CD, though not all

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Atlus should really make those available on itunes or spotify or something. Leaving money on the table.

• Options
    As long as they also do the same for the vastly superior Persona 3 OST and remix albums. :)

• Options
    "hey I really like this thing and wish it was available."

"Your thing is trash this thing is better."

One does not need to preclude the other!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the persona 3 soundtrack does a big fat nothing for me anyway. hopefully jazzsona is my thing

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just finished route C for Automata. Dang, that's some good game.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Atlus should really make those available on itunes or spotify or something. Leaving money on the table.

It'll happen

Sega is starting to lean into Spotify pretty heavily

This discussion has been closed.