Options

[MOVIES]: Let's All Go To The Lobby

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    I've had at least three friends watch Totoro for the first time recently and they all hated it. None of them understood why it's such a big deal. I still haven't seen it, but I own it on Blu.

Hello, that is me.

Ol' Zonugal can't stand any Miyazaki films.

How long has it been

I was not impressed by Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke when I saw them (right when they released in America, basically) and wrote him off pretty quickly

Then I watched Kiki's Delivery Service a couple years and it was fucking fantastic (still my favorite) and I've looked into some of his other stuff and it's been great, including Mononoke

I still have some reservations about giving Spirited Away another shot, though. That film bored me to a rather extreme degree

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i like princess mononoke, porco rosso, and castle of cagliostro

but that's all i can really dig on miyazaki wise

so basically i just need pigs and heists

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I still haven't seen Porco Rosso or Castle of Cagliostro

But I really, really love Spirited Away

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Ex Machina spoilers on a really important detail people might be forgetting
    I think a really core statement the ending makes RE: "is Ava a person?" is that at a certain point the question doesn't matter. Nathan outright states this after the first session- he tells Caleb he wanted to see if Ava could prove her sentience even when Caleb knew she was a robot. And Caleb pretty quickly starts treating her as though she's not a Thing.

So he keeps going on with the tests! Until he develops a boner for her and she asks to escape. At which point Caleb helps her. Maybe he wants to bang, maybe he just has a crush that's not influencing his choices. But by then, he's already fucked up in a way that proves Ava truly couldn't ever trust him. "Caleb is a Nice Guy" because a lot of us were asking:

What did caleb do wrong?

The answer is: He kept waiting for her to prove she was a person even though he KNEW she was. He participated in the sessions, as if this cage she was in was normal. Why didn't he ask any questions about the prison until she said she Like-liked him?? Why did Ava have to ASK him?! Why did she have to convince him to free her?? Caleb was (subconsciously) holding out for a 'sweeter deal'...which he did not get. He was simulating morality without understanding it organically, like the chess analogy he uses during their dinner.

basically: Nathan never saw Ava as a human, and probably never would've cause he's an abuser. Caleb only saw Ava as a person when it was convenient for him.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Miyazaki is in the top 4 animators for me. (The others being, of course, Disney, Chuck Jones, and Lasseter)

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Miyazaki worked on the first fifteen episodes of Anne of Green Gables. There's some definite proto-Ghibli character style going on back there.

And I liked The Wind Rises primarily because it's an animated biopic about an engineer with glasses.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I grew up on Laputa. Still love it.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Can robot dogs suffer

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Can robot dogs suffer

Are you going to torture Blade Wolf, Tal?

Because that would be wrong. Blade Wolf is a good dog. You should not torture Blade Wolf, and only partially because he could murder you with his chainsaw tail or murder knives.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's not murder it's a fatal accident due to improper use of machinery

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I finally popped Chimes at Midnight into my blu-ray player. It's supposed to be Orson Welles' great lost masterpiece. Ever since I heard about it, I was looking forward to seeing it. So, it's exciting to finally get my hands on a copy (namely that Criterion is distributing it now).

I don't know what I was expecting. I don't know why I didn't think this would be a Shakespeare movie.

I have no idea what anybody is saying. But I think Orson Welles is drunk? And medieval?

I've been dying to see it for the longest time but there's no bluray available here currently and the dvds are apparently poor.

Welles' career is funny in the sense that he has the reputation for having one great film and then go on a downward trajectory. But when you go through his filmography, several other of his films are also called his masterpiece by a not small portion of critics. Then you've got things like lady of shanghai and the trial which are all pretty good too.

FAQ on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    honestly it's the sheer number of projects welles was unable to get off the ground that leads to that perception

he makes del toro look like he was batting a thousand in that respect

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    can't discount studio fuckery also, 3 damn cuts of touch of evil on the bluray none of which were actually completed by welles.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    honestly it's the sheer number of projects welles was unable to get off the ground that leads to that perception

he makes del toro look like he was batting a thousand in that respect

The question that haunts my dreams is

"What did Orson Welles's Hellboy sequel look like, that it terrified the studios so?"

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am not sure if it was the best movie of 2015, but I think again, this proves the ex machina was the most interesting movie of 2015.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Orson Welles is Unicron

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think 2015 was quietly a really great year for movies that were at least interesting if not all excellent

- The Big Short
    - Creed
    - Dope
    - The Hateful 8
    - Inside Out
    - Mad Max: Fury Road
    - The Martian
    - The Overnight
    - Room
    - Spotlight
    - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    - Steve Jobs
    - Tangerine

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gosh The Overnight was so good

I need to watch that again sometime, it's such a delight

(also I would add White God to that list as well)

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Ignoring most of the tent poles this has been an exceedingly strong two years in film.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Nightcrawler was a highly effective movie I have no desire to watch again

Obligatory joke about blue skin and tails

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm often too slow to do a favorite films of the year right after the year concludes, so now that I'm thinking of it, here are my favorite films of 2015 (in some, but not a lot, of order):

- Slow West
    - Krampus
    - The Overnight
    - White God
    - Mad Max: Fury Road

Honorable mentions for The Man from UNCLE, The Hallow, and Goosebumps

Note to self that I still want to see Child 44, [the Scottish play], Crimson Peak, Sicario, and The Final Girls

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so, this is a pretty good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiVZj8Mm7o

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I loved Crimson Peak but I was looking for a Gothic romance and not a horror flick.

• Options
    I still need to see Crimson Peak. And every time I hear it's more romance than horror I get a little more stoked.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I still need to see that, too. I like that it was described not as a ghost story, but as a story with ghosts in it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I loved Crimson Peak but I was looking for a Gothic romance and not a horror flick.

All Gothic tales have some horror in it.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I go back and forth between Carol and Fury Road as my favorite 2015 movies (I mean, how do you even begin to compare the two?), but yeah that year was fucking excellent movie wise.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Right! But I think people were expecting a horror movie and it is definitely not that.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so, this is a pretty good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiVZj8Mm7o

this looks real good

• Options
    carol was really good and underseen

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Right! But I think people were expecting a horror movie and it is definitely not that.

You were saying that you signed up for a Gothic romance, and the film was not a horror film, but I misinterpreted you as saying you signed up for a Gothic romance and got a horror film.

• Options
    Yeah, I was just saying I watched it knowing what to expect so I wasn't disappointed.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Okay but can I get a mod that turns it into Heart of Darkness instead?

• Options
    Napalm needs to be nerfed

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    What The Predator REALLY needed was the kid from Room, obviously

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    Alright

You've got my attention

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Brave choice for the Predator role

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Like you wouldn't watch Kid Predator in a heartbeat

• Options
    I would worry about child stars if this wasn't a Shane Black joint.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.