Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Ha, I just found out that Jason Garrett won COTY.

That Belichick was missing his best player for four games, his second best player missed half of the season and wasn't at full strength in the games he did play, finished the season with the best scoring defense, finished the season with the third best scoring offense, had a final point differential (+191) that was 54 points above the #2 team (Atlanta, +134) - a margin of victory of about 12 points per game, went 14-2, and that wasn't enough to win COTY?

Belichick is graded on one hell of a curve. "The Patriots are good every year" is somehow something that works against him in COTY voting.

COTY always goes to coach who most outperforms expectations, and voter fatigue also sets in. otherwise it would be bill and gregg popovich every year. plus 13-3 and a 1 seed with a rookie QB and rookie RB is pretty impressive in its own right

Yea, it's not like there's any actual meaning to the award. It's kinda used just for PR for people that don't really follow the game in and out to bring lesser known, and slightly lesser successes to the fore for a bit. At least, in basketball and football.

Another thing for why I could see voting for another coach, most of the differential related stats are directly correlated to strength of schedule/defense opposed and the Patriots schedule definitely was a little heavy on the buttercups this season. What was the final differential count for their 6 against the Bills/Jets/(and somehow playoff caliber) Dolphins? If they didn't draw the short straw and have to face the NFC East or AFC West, you can lock the best team in the AFC East for a top 4 differential every year.

I keep hearing the Pats had an easy schedule.

They were 9th in the league, and the win pct differential between the Pats and Falcons was like .022

The Packers had the easiest schedule in the league and nobody brings that up.

I was bearish on the Packers all season long, and booked many Packers to win futures, so you're using that argument with the wrong guy ;). Rodgers defied my expectations in Dallas, but I was confident that Packers defense wasn't gonna be able to do much against the best in league Falcons. I've ridden the Patriots to this point (wrongly taking the 15.5 with the Texans), but I just don't see the same brilliance with them on the field as the Falcons. The fact I'm getting laid a price just strengthens the side for me to be on, albeit the price is not enough to make it a monster play and probably a game I'd skip wagering on if it weren't the Super Bowl. I just think the fact the Falcons had a tougher schedule, and still were a full touchdown better than the next best offense during the regular season is a pretty strong signal for prognosticating efforts.

My statement above was directly related to how differential gets gamed by SoS, and can't really be used in a vacuum. When I write up my class rankings, margin of victory and SoS are very important attributes for my maths.

The Patriots don't play like any other team in the league and haven't for almost 2 decades.

They're actually kind of utilitarian and spartan, to be honest. But they've shut down the best receivers and runningbacks in the league time and time again, week after week, year after year. They have the 2nd best ranked secondary in the league behind the Broncos, despite not having any standout superstars.

And just like that, they'll do a flea-flicker and get a 40 yd td on your ass when you ain't looking.

No, they don't have the flash-bang brilliance of the Falcons, and yeah this is easily the hardest team the Pats have faced all year. But I also firmly believe the opposite to be true.

I've mentioned it before, but not sure if I stated this fact:
    You can better predict a teams defensive output by looking at coaches averages than players. Defense is where coaching has tremendous impact. So your statement above is very true and a causative indicator of this would be how much better the Patriots defensive coordination and preparedness is. Signal stealing never hurts a defenses output either. ;)

I'm not gonna argue that the Patriots have the best front office and coaching staff in the game. That's a fools errand. What I'm interested in talking about is why, and how come all of the prodigal sons of Belichick have had such poor track records after leaving the team. It really is bizarre how dominant the Patriots have been with Belichick. It's why I won't argue with him being the GOAT in the most skilled position in football, I just am impatient for the post retirement revelations on HOW. And how much truth and rules bending it took.

Bill OBrian has been doing a fine job in Houston. 3rd year coaching, made play offs 2 years in a row....
    I mean, Texans arent great, but not bad either.

Anyone who cares to review the thread can tell you how bullish I've been in the Texans for months, but calling a team that couldn't even cover getting 15.5 from the Patriots is hard to call a success in comparison to what Belichick has done. He's doing good work, but it's still hard to say it's been much of a success. Even the playoff win was more from the Raiders sucking without Carr than the Texans exemplifying any sort of excellence or superiority, which was very evident in the trouncing the Pats gave them.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That Belichick was missing his best player for four games, his second best player missed half of the season and wasn't at full strength in the games he did play, finished the season with the best scoring defense, finished the season with the third best scoring offense, had a final point differential (+191) that was 54 points above the #2 team (Atlanta, +134) - a margin of victory of about 12 points per game, went 14-2, and that wasn't enough to win COTY?

Belichick is graded on one hell of a curve. "The Patriots are good every year" is somehow something that works against him in COTY voting.

COTY always goes to coach who most outperforms expectations, and voter fatigue also sets in. otherwise it would be bill and gregg popovich every year. plus 13-3 and a 1 seed with a rookie QB and rookie RB is pretty impressive in its own right

Yea, it's not like there's any actual meaning to the award. It's kinda used just for PR for people that don't really follow the game in and out to bring lesser known, and slightly lesser successes to the fore for a bit. At least, in basketball and football.

Another thing for why I could see voting for another coach, most of the differential related stats are directly correlated to strength of schedule/defense opposed and the Patriots schedule definitely was a little heavy on the buttercups this season. What was the final differential count for their 6 against the Bills/Jets/(and somehow playoff caliber) Dolphins? If they didn't draw the short straw and have to face the NFC East or AFC West, you can lock the best team in the AFC East for a top 4 differential every year.

They were 9th in the league, and the win pct differential between the Pats and Falcons was like .022

I was bearish on the Packers all season long, and booked many Packers to win futures, so you're using that argument with the wrong guy ;). Rodgers defied my expectations in Dallas, but I was confident that Packers defense wasn't gonna be able to do much against the best in league Falcons. I've ridden the Patriots to this point (wrongly taking the 15.5 with the Texans), but I just don't see the same brilliance with them on the field as the Falcons. The fact I'm getting laid a price just strengthens the side for me to be on, albeit the price is not enough to make it a monster play and probably a game I'd skip wagering on if it weren't the Super Bowl. I just think the fact the Falcons had a tougher schedule, and still were a full touchdown better than the next best offense during the regular season is a pretty strong signal for prognosticating efforts.

My statement above was directly related to how differential gets gamed by SoS, and can't really be used in a vacuum. When I write up my class rankings, margin of victory and SoS are very important attributes for my maths.

The Patriots don't play like any other team in the league and haven't for almost 2 decades.

They're actually kind of utilitarian and spartan, to be honest. But they've shut down the best receivers and runningbacks in the league time and time again, week after week, year after year. They have the 2nd best ranked secondary in the league behind the Broncos, despite not having any standout superstars.

And just like that, they'll do a flea-flicker and get a 40 yd td on your ass when you ain't looking.

No, they don't have the flash-bang brilliance of the Falcons, and yeah this is easily the hardest team the Pats have faced all year. But I also firmly believe the opposite to be true.

You can better predict a teams defensive output by looking at coaches averages than players. Defense is where coaching has tremendous impact. So your statement above is very true and a causative indicator of this would be how much better the Patriots defensive coordination and preparedness is. Signal stealing never hurts a defenses output either. ;)

I'm not gonna argue that the Patriots have the best front office and coaching staff in the game. That's a fools errand. What I'm interested in talking about is why, and how come all of the prodigal sons of Belichick have had such poor track records after leaving the team. It really is bizarre how dominant the Patriots have been with Belichick. It's why I won't argue with him being the GOAT in the most skilled position in football, I just am impatient for the post retirement revelations on HOW. And how much truth and rules bending it took.

The signal stealing didn't do the Jets any favors.

I can't answer as to why they didn't do as well outside of his coaching umbrella, but if we're going to speculate on conspiracy theories and ufo stories then I think I'll see myself out.

Dude, you make it entirely too fun for people to bash the Patriots, you're just gonna keep getting taunted about the rule bending the Patriots very much have done with reactions like that. It isn't even technically against the rules to signal steal, depending on what degree of espionage/action is taken to intercept said signals. It's why every coordinating coach on the sidelines has their clipboard and covers their lips when they're talking playcalls or strategy.

Or maybe I'd just like to talk football without people bringing this horsehockey in it every single time.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dallas still sucks.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C20TqSPUsAAkiAd.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

The signal stealing didn't do the Jets any favors.

I can't answer as to why they didn't do as well outside of his coaching umbrella, but if we're going to speculate on conspiracy theories and ufo stories then I think I'll see myself out.

Dude, you make it entirely too fun for people to bash the Patriots, you're just gonna keep getting taunted about the rule bending the Patriots very much have done with reactions like that. It isn't even technically against the rules to signal steal, depending on what degree of espionage/action is taken to intercept said signals. It's why every coordinating coach on the sidelines has their clipboard and covers their lips when they're talking playcalls or strategy.

Or maybe I'd just like to talk football without people bringing this horsehockey in it every single time.

I can understand wanting to only talk about how awesome my team was, but you gotta take the good with the bad. We can start going on about deflategate instead!

I'm as close to a Pats fan as I can be for any team, and to say that their excellence hasn't come by pushing the envelope and understanding of the rules would be disingenuous. They haven't exactly recreated the football playbook; they've just executed at a high level with the most talented, invested and striving to win staff not on the field in the game.

• Options
    You gotta remember, it's only cheating if you get caught.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Why did he repeat himself so much?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Why did he repeat himself so much?

He already told you three times.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Bill OBrian has been doing a fine job in Houston. 3rd year coaching, made play offs 2 years in a row....
    I mean, Texans arent great, but not bad either.

Anyone who cares to review the thread can tell you how bullish I've been in the Texans for months, but calling a team that couldn't even cover getting 15.5 from the Patriots is hard to call a success in comparison to what Belichick has done. He's doing good work, but it's still hard to say it's been much of a success. Even the playoff win was more from the Raiders sucking without Carr than the Texans exemplifying any sort of excellence or superiority, which was very evident in the trouncing the Pats gave them.

I mean no one has been within 2 scores since the start of December except the Ravens (lost by a TD) and that was only due to a series of flukish turnovers and the Patriots haven't trailed since week 12. Its not exactly unique and we beat the Dolphins and Steelers in the game before and after

There just aren't that many good coaches. Nick Saban is the obvious one other than O'Brien. Kirk Ferentz is decent. Jim Schwartz lacks discipline but is an excellent DC. Same with Crennel, they're just not good HCs. John Mitchell is assistant HC at Pittsburgh and was hired by BB for his first NFL job. Then there's guys like Weis, Crennell, Groh and Todd Haley who can be claimed by BB and Parcells.

The Falcons front office are largely run by former BB guys (GM Dimitroff, Assistant GM Pioli, Director of Pro Personnel Collier). BB hired Newsome as an executive. Licht is GM of Tampa Bay and he was under BB. Jon Robinson GM of the Titans started as a scout under BB. Bob Quinn, GM of the Lions, started out as a scout under BB.

I also expect some coaches to emerge from former Patriot BB players. Vrabel is going to be a Def Coordinator next year and got HC interest. Larry Izzo is a ST coordinator. Bryan Cox is an influential coach on the Falcons. Kliff Kingsbury is head coach at Texas Tech.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Huh. I had to go look it up. Why did I think Bryan Cox was an Eagle for a while? Also I'm not sure I'd put him on the list just because he was a Patriot for one season.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Big Ben mulling retirement I guess.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Wow. On the one hand, I totally get that - his performance has dropped off this year, he's had one injury after another in virtually every year, he's been in the league for over a decade, he was consistently one of the top five QBs in the league for over a decade, he's almost certainly not lacking for money. I mean, would you continue a stressful job that's going to leave you in agony for months at a time when you've got nothing left to prove and you're wealthy enough to do whatever the hell you want for the rest of your life?

But still: wow. Didn't see that coming.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Wow. On the one hand, I totally get that - his performance has dropped off this year, he's had one injury after another in virtually every year, he's been in the league for over a decade, he was consistently one of the top five QBs in the league for over a decade, he's almost certainly not lacking for money. I mean, would you continue a stressful job that's going to leave you in agony for months at a time when you've got nothing left to prove and you're wealthy enough to do whatever the hell you want for the rest of your life?

But still: wow. Didn't see that coming.

Well, i think its important to note that he probably actually enjoys playing football. For a lot of guys this is literally all they've ever known how to do. They arent even sure how to function in the regular world. I can understand that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    While it would pretty obviously make the team worse, I kinda hope he does. I'd really like it if the team could move on past such morally questionable people.

Same could be said for the league as a whole, really, but yeah. Not the greatest figurehead.

• Options
    I think its also really easy to mull retirement a few days after a demoralizing loss with the long off season ahead of you. Especially if you've got 2 rings, a good HoF case without much shot at getting in the GOAT argument, and just like 8 months of work before you even get to the stuff that counts again

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    He's fallen off in the last couple seasons, but I just wish their wasn't such a lack of decent QBs in the league. Not even 'Elite' guys but like Andy Dalton. Just so you could turn on any given game and have good odds that at least two competent QBs would be playing.

There's so many teams with just such terrible QB play, that any injury or retirement just makes the slate of games look bleaker.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The more I think about it, the more I think this game has pretty much any possible outcome.

1) Standard high scoring shootout affair that goes either way.
    2) Pats D hasn't seen an elite QB, give up a ton of points and
    ........(A) Score a lot but can't keep up
    ........(B) Miss having Gronk, Vic Beasley gets an MVP, and Pats offense gets blanked most of the game
    3) Belichick has two weeks to prepare for Shanny Jr's offense and we get a repeat of shutting down "The Greatest Show on Turf"
    4) The Falcons offense plays pretty well but Brady eats up the Zone Defense and scores at too high of a clip
    5) It's a surprisingly low scoring affair but the Falcons have too much big play potential and get multiple long TDs
    6) The Pats bring out their 6 OLineman sets against the undersized Falcons D and neutralize the offense with clock control

I'm kinda pulling for number 6 just because everyone will hate it and I'm in full on troll mode for this SB

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Roethlisberger to be a Brown in 2022

#Never4get

Veevee on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think this game has pretty much any possible outcome.

1) Standard high scoring shootout affair that goes either way.
    2) Pats D hasn't seen an elite QB, give up a ton of points and
    ........(A) Score a lot but can't keep up
    ........(B) Miss having Gronk, Vic Beasley gets an MVP, and Pats offense gets blanked most of the game
    3) Belichick has two weeks to prepare for Shanny Jr's offense and we get a repeat of shutting down "The Greatest Show on Turf"
    4) The Falcons offense plays pretty well but Brady eats up the Zone Defense and scores at too high of a clip
    5) It's a surprisingly low scoring affair but the Falcons have too much big play potential and get multiple long TDs
    6) The Pats bring out their 6 OLineman sets against the undersized Falcons D and neutralize the offense with clock control

I'm kinda pulling for number 6 just because everyone will hate it and I'm in full on troll mode for this SB

I honestly think its gonna be either 3 or something like 6 and potentially even 4, because Belichick is a football genius.

I'm hoping for 1 or 2a

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I am thinking, hoping I guess, it will be like the Hawks Pats game. The Falcons D isnt anywhere close to the Hawks but the Falcons O is like twice+ as good. Falcons by 6-9 @ 60ish.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Pats SHOULD win, they have a close 2nd offense to the Falcons' no. 1, a better special teams, and an average D vs the Falcons' terrible one.

They're a better team overall. But 1 game is 1 game. I'm more hopeful than 2014 but less hopeful than 2003 2004 2007 2011

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And, of course, as a long-time Patriots fan, I'm not going to be comfortable that the Pats will win until they're up by, like, 30 with 20s left.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    As a not-patriots fan I sure would like a not-patriots team to win. However, as a Vikings fan, it is difficult to root for the falcons.

I'm torn. Go meteor!

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it will be 2a, the best offense the Patriots have seen this year is Dolphins/Steelers their schedule was pretty soft. The Falcons have too many threats, Brady will keep it close but the Falcons are going to win.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Huh. I had to go look it up. Why did I think Bryan Cox was an Eagle for a while? Also I'm not sure I'd put him on the list just because he was a Patriot for one season.

He was also under BB as a Jet and followed BB to New England, plus got his first two coaching jobs working for BB former disciple Mangini in NY and Cleveland.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Pats SHOULD win, they have a close 2nd offense to the Falcons' no. 1, a better special teams, and an average D vs the Falcons' terrible one.

They're a better team overall. But 1 game is 1 game. I'm more hopeful than 2014 but less hopeful than 2003 2004 2007 2011

Yeah if you go by points NE has the best defense and the best record/points differential

If you go by DVOA they have the best weighted offense and overall and weighted total DVOA.

But I'm going to watch like 7 games of theirs to get a better idea before I approach confidence

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Who is more of the pass catching back, Freeman or Coleman? I always get them confused.

Either way wheel routes scare the shit out of me as a pats fan

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    The Patriots went 14-2, entering the playoffs with the best record in the NFL. It's two years since their Super Bowl win, and they're going to Houston to play an 11-5 team from the NFC south who managed to upset the Cowboys on their way to the big game. They've also got the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. Which is why I think the Patriots will defeat the Panthers, 32-29 in the 2004 Super Bowl.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I think they use Coleman more for receiving stuff, but Freeman seems to be pretty good at it too at least by stats (5th most receiving yards by a back this year.) So both need to be guarded out of the backfield.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    And, of course, as a long-time Patriots fan, I'm not going to be comfortable that the Pats will win until they're up by, like, 30 with 20s left.

This is silly.

I think if there is anything the relentless winning of the Pats should tell us is that they will probably win any given game that they are playing. Especially in the post season.

I think my biggest problem with the Pats, aside from just hating on Boston sports fans in general (though that's more to do with the RS), is that I'm just fucking bored. I want them to be bad again so that it can be someone else's time in the sun. I mean I know PeyPey had to have his shot to have a ring before he retired (and it took him more than one), but like...I just don't want the Pats to be in the superbowl for a good few years. I want to see some new blood.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

This is silly.

I think if there is anything the relentless winning of the Pats should tell us is that they will probably win any given game that they are playing. Especially in the post season.

I think my biggest problem with the Pats, aside from just hating on Boston sports fans in general (though that's more to do with the RS), is that I'm just fucking bored. I want them to be bad again so that it can be someone else's time in the sun. I mean I know PeyPey had to have his shot to have a ring before he retired (and it took him more than one), but like...I just don't want the Pats to be in the superbowl for a good few years. I want to see some new blood.

i wouldn't mind a different team in the super bowl if they were actually better

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

This is silly.

Hence the reason he said he wants the Pats to be bad again.

• Options

This is silly.

let's be realistic here

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

This is silly.

let's be realistic here

Yeah I agree its long overdue.

• Options
    lol the steelers cheated and didn't disclose le'veon bell's injury too

except mike tomlin made sure, when saying he knew about the injury, to specifically say "it wasn't significant"

steelers cheat again

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Liesburgh Cheatlers

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Just more proof that the injury report/system needs to be redone. Teams either under report things... or you know... over report things. Both are equally horrible and attempting to change competitive aspects on the field.

System needs to be independent of teams first off. And they need to have the balls and ability to keep people from playing.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

This is silly.

and like

i don't mean browns bad here

but like, if they were just middling for a while, that would be good.

and yeah, i mean, it'll probably take belly check retiring at this point and hoping that they don't just have someone else who is capable of the same kinds of things

it's just sort of boring that the AFC is really just two teams, the Patriots and maybe if someone manages to beat them in the post season which is statistically unlikely

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
This discussion has been closed.