Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Patriots did get lucky on matchups. Didnt they have the lowest QB matchups all year. And in this game the best RB in the league right now got hurt in the 1st quarter. It is not a draw back if it is a truth. And they keep winning it doesnt matter anyway.

Superbowl will be Butler on Jones.

That will be the matchup, and honestly it could go either way. Jones is the real deal but Butler ain't no slouch either.

There isn't a CB in the league that can cover Jones if Malcolm doesn't get help Jones will dominate.

I'm glad I picked all Falcon and Patriots players for my playoff fantasy team.

Jones will be double covered all night, Butler and a safety at all times.

I will admit tho... Jones is a scary motherfucker.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Patriots did get lucky on matchups. Didnt they have the lowest QB matchups all year. And in this game the best RB in the league right now got hurt in the 1st quarter. It is not a draw back if it is a truth. And they keep winning it doesnt matter anyway.

That will be the matchup, and honestly it could go either way. Jones is the real deal but Butler ain't no slouch either.

There isn't a CB in the league that can cover Jones if Malcolm doesn't get help Jones will dominate.

9 catches, 180 yards, 2 TDs...

Oh wait, that was chris hogan

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Just saying.

Yeah, we've got some damn good secondary players. Consistent.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Just saying.

Yeah, we've got some damn good secondary players tho. Consistent.

Haha yeah, jones is just a liiiittle more likely than hogan to duplicate that line in two weeks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

Just saying.

Yeah, we've got some damn good secondary players tho. Consistent.

Haha yeah, jones is just a liiiittle more likely than hogan to duplicate that line in two weeks

I think we're gonna see ground game vs Atlanta.

If they have an achilles heel, that would be it.

• Options
    Oh good.

Luke Bryan is singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Tom Brady is down with the ATL tho

16142616_1869715566607856_3560963109501887990_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ffddbb156ca1fe2a6df5f87ead0e5c4a&oe=59199703

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I have never seen a more awkward picture in my life.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah. That guy behind Brady certainly doesn't belong there.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I've watched football for 16 seasons and I'm about to see my 7th pats super bowl

Cray

I've watched football for over 30 seasons. And I'm about to avoid seeing an eighth Patriots Super Bowl.

Yeah, first Super Bowl I can remember seeing was the '85 Bears making Eason and the Pats their bitch, and now I'll be not watching the 7th TB12 appearance in an SB.

May Giselle catch him cheating and cut him off from her $300+ million.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Man that was one hell of a hold.

That Trump money goes deep.

All the way.

Lol trump doesn't have any money.

What, exactly, do the New England Patriots do to people that are rational otherwise that makes them turn into conspiracy theorists?

Isn't this the same league that battled them for 2 years, removed a 1st round pick, and suspended their QB for 4 games for something they couldn't prove?

Well, they filmed my team in practice against the rules before their super bowl and stole signals, and then the NFL covered for them by destroying the tapes. So, it goes both ways.

Literally no evidence

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I've watched football for 16 seasons and I'm about to see my 7th pats super bowl

Cray

I've watched football for over 30 seasons. And I'm about to avoid seeing an eighth Patriots Super Bowl.

9th :p

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    C20wOJiUUAA5sC3.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That is awesomely horrible.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Cray

9th :p

Oh, right. The late '90s are a blur for me.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't think the ending would have changed much, but I very much would have liked watching the AFC game with a fully healthy Bell. I actually think we missed him more in the passing game than the running game. Looking across the whole season, it was great to have our entire line healthy for the better part of the season. I hope that Pouncey's injury issues are behind him. Now, I want to trade for his brother so we can have the Pouncey Plows (yes, I'm stealing from the Williams Wall, Vikings fans).

Also, I only went one page back. Was Bob Kraft drunk when he addressed the fans? Because he was clearly slurring (heh). Either that, or he had an undocumented stroke. Also also, what was he trying to get the fans to say?

• Options
    Yeah, Kraft was loaded.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Kraft tried to go shot-for-shot with Gronk.

"Hey Mr. Kraft, how about we take a shot every time we make a third down stop and every time we score?"

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Ha, I just found out that Jason Garrett won COTY.

That Belichick was missing his best player for four games, his second best player missed half of the season and wasn't at full strength in the games he did play, finished the season with the best scoring defense, finished the season with the third best scoring offense, had a final point differential (+191) that was 54 points above the #2 team (Atlanta, +134) - a margin of victory of about 12 points per game, went 14-2, and that wasn't enough to win COTY?

Belichick is graded on one hell of a curve. "The Patriots are good every year" is somehow something that works against him in COTY voting.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

That Belichick was missing his best player for four games, his second best player missed half of the season and wasn't at full strength in the games he did play, finished the season with the best scoring defense, finished the season with the third best scoring offense, had a final point differential (+191) that was 54 points above the #2 team (Atlanta, +134) - a margin of victory of about 12 points per game, went 14-2, and that wasn't enough to win COTY?

Belichick is graded on one hell of a curve. "The Patriots are good every year" is somehow something that works against him in COTY voting.

COTY always goes to coach who most outperforms expectations, and voter fatigue also sets in. otherwise it would be bill and gregg popovich every year. plus 13-3 and a 1 seed with a rookie QB and rookie RB is pretty impressive in its own right

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

COTY always goes to coach who most outperforms expectations, and voter fatigue also sets in. otherwise it would be bill and gregg popovich every year. plus 13-3 and a 1 seed with a rookie QB and rookie RB is pretty impressive in its own right

Yea, it's not like there's any actual meaning to the award. It's kinda used just for PR for people that don't really follow the game in and out to bring lesser known, and slightly lesser successes to the fore for a bit. At least, in basketball and football.

Another thing for why I could see voting for another coach, most of the differential related stats are directly correlated to strength of schedule/defense opposed and the Patriots schedule definitely was a little heavy on the buttercups this season. What was the final differential count for their 6 against the Bills/Jets/(and somehow playoff caliber) Dolphins? If they didn't draw the short straw and have to face the NFC East or AFC West, you can lock the best team in the AFC East for a top 4 differential every year.

MadCaddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    MadCaddy wrote: »

Yea, it's not like there's any actual meaning to the award. It's kinda used just for PR for people that don't really follow the game in and out to bring lesser known, and slightly lesser successes to the fore for a bit. At least, in basketball and football.

Another thing for why I could see voting for another coach, most of the differential related stats are directly correlated to strength of schedule/defense opposed and the Patriots schedule definitely was a little heavy on the buttercups this season. What was the final differential count for their 6 against the Bills/Jets/(and somehow playoff caliber) Dolphins? If they didn't draw the short straw and have to face the NFC East or AFC West, you can lock the best team in the AFC East for a top 4 differential every year.

I keep hearing the Pats had an easy schedule.

They were 9th in the league, and the win pct differential between the Pats and Falcons was like .022

The Packers had the easiest schedule in the league and nobody brings that up.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

They were 9th in the league, and the win pct differential between the Pats and Falcons was like .022

we did have the easiest schedule vs opposing pass offenses by DVOA, but overall, the schedule wasn't super easy

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    oh wait nvm it was the easiest by total DVOA too

we did have an easy schedule

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    oh wait nvm it was the easiest by total DVOA too

we did have an easy schedule

Half the teams we faced were good last year.

Dunno what happened.

• Options
    It is kind of disheartening how samey the post season has began to feel. I mean, for all the talk about parity and any given Sunday, when it comes post season there generally only about four teams each year that are truly competitive with a shot at the Super Bowl, especially without getting lucky in injury roulette or playoff seeding. As the Raiders proved this season, even if you're fairly deep at every position on the roster, and have competent coaching, lose your all star QB and you go crashing to the bottom, better luck next year. I can only think of the Cowboys and Patriots as playoff caliber teams that wouldn't be completely decimated and title hopes written off in that instance. It's these sorts of observations that make me wonder about the health of sport in football. How truly competitive is the game, and how much of that is just marketing and built narratives. Does the addictive nature of gambling/fantasy blind us to the lopsided competition, the meaningless games with very real health implications for the players and the rules imbalances; salve the taint of the fact most of the league is propped up by the profit sharing of the true dynasties, to keep them around for the appearance of competition, to be brushed aside when it really matters and utilized as an aide to further their own mythos building.

Is it realistic to expect more? Is this the nature of the game, or did this train fall off the tracks at some point?

I have my opinions on these things, especially when you broaden the sample size to compare to other sporting endeavors (Soccer/Horses/F1), but I'm curious as to how you all feel about the current health of sport in football.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    The Patriots didn't play many good offenses. They played Pittsburgh without Big Ben and then without Bell, they played Buffalo twice and split the games. And after that, the offenses they played were pretty bad for the most part. The Patriots defense did its job against those offenses, and a typical end game would involve the other team getting a garbage time TD after a six or seven minute drive while the Patriots played their "go ahead, trade 7 yards for 35 seconds off of the clock" shell defense. With that said, the Patriots played a lot of great defenses. They beat the #1 defense by DVOA (Denver), the #3 defense (Houston, twice), the #4 defense (Pittsburgh, twice), the #5 defense (Arizona), and the #11 defense (Baltimore). The Patriots ended up with the third best scoring offense this season.

Here's SOS by opponent win/loss. Note that the Falcons and the 49ers are tied for #1 most difficult schedule. As Jungleroomx noted, the Patriots are #9. The Packers had it easiest, but even the Steelers are down there at #23. Also note the Seahawks were tied for 5th - they did pretty good against a pretty touch schedule.

Shadowhope on
  • Options

I was bearish on the Packers all season long, and booked many Packers to win futures, so you're using that argument with the wrong guy ;). Rodgers defied my expectations in Dallas, but I was confident that Packers defense wasn't gonna be able to do much against the best in league Falcons. I've ridden the Patriots to this point (wrongly taking the 15.5 with the Texans), but I just don't see the same brilliance with them on the field as the Falcons. The fact I'm getting laid a price just strengthens the side for me to be on, albeit the price is not enough to make it a monster play and probably a game I'd skip wagering on if it weren't the Super Bowl. I just think the fact the Falcons had a tougher schedule, and still were a full touchdown better than the next best offense during the regular season is a pretty strong signal for prognosticating efforts.

My statement above was directly related to how differential gets gamed by SoS, and can't really be used in a vacuum. When I write up my class rankings, margin of victory and SoS are very important attributes for my maths.

• Options
    Does the addictive nature of gambling/fantasy blind us to the lopsided competition,

Since I do neither, no.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't think the ending would have changed much, but I very much would have liked watching the AFC game with a fully healthy Bell. I actually think we missed him more in the passing game than the running game. Looking across the whole season, it was great to have our entire line healthy for the better part of the season. I hope that Pouncey's injury issues are behind him. Now, I want to trade for his brother so we can have the Pouncey Plows (yes, I'm stealing from the Williams Wall, Vikings fans).

Also, I only went one page back. Was Bob Kraft drunk when he addressed the fans? Because he was clearly slurring (heh). Either that, or he had an undocumented stroke. Also also, what was he trying to get the fans to say?

He was definitely drunk. He usually is at least tipsy for these things

He was going for Win "One More" which is the playoff slogan for the Patriots this year. It definitely has me paranoid that Brady might retire

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

I was bearish on the Packers all season long, and booked many Packers to win futures, so you're using that argument with the wrong guy ;). Rodgers defied my expectations in Dallas, but I was confident that Packers defense wasn't gonna be able to do much against the best in league Falcons. I've ridden the Patriots to this point (wrongly taking the 15.5 with the Texans), but I just don't see the same brilliance with them on the field as the Falcons. The fact I'm getting laid a price just strengthens the side for me to be on, albeit the price is not enough to make it a monster play and probably a game I'd skip wagering on if it weren't the Super Bowl. I just think the fact the Falcons had a tougher schedule, and still were a full touchdown better than the next best offense during the regular season is a pretty strong signal for prognosticating efforts.

My statement above was directly related to how differential gets gamed by SoS, and can't really be used in a vacuum. When I write up my class rankings, margin of victory and SoS are very important attributes for my maths.

The Patriots don't play like any other team in the league and haven't for almost 2 decades.

They're actually kind of utilitarian and spartan, to be honest. But they've shut down the best receivers and runningbacks in the league time and time again, week after week, year after year. They have the 2nd best ranked secondary in the league behind the Broncos, despite not having any standout superstars.

And just like that, they'll do a flea-flicker and get a 40 yd td on your ass when you ain't looking.

No, they don't have the flash-bang brilliance of the Falcons, and yeah this is easily the hardest team the Pats have faced all year. But I also firmly believe the opposite to be true.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The Patriots didn't play many good offenses. They played Pittsburgh without Big Ben and then without Bell, they played Buffalo twice and split the games. And after that, the offenses they played were pretty bad for the most part. The Patriots defense did its job against those offenses, and a typical end game would involve the other team getting a garbage time TD after a six or seven minute drive while the Patriots played their "go ahead, trade 7 yards for 35 seconds off of the clock" shell defense. With that said, the Patriots played a lot of great defenses. They beat the #1 defense by DVOA (Denver), the #3 defense (Houston, twice), the #4 defense (Pittsburgh, twice), the #5 defense (Arizona), and the #11 defense (Baltimore). The Patriots ended up with the third best scoring offense this season.

Here's SOS by opponent win/loss. Note that the Falcons and the 49ers are tied for #1 most difficult schedule. As Jungleroomx noted, the Patriots are #9. The Packers had it easiest, but even the Steelers are down there at #23. Also note the Seahawks were tied for 5th - they did pretty good against a pretty touch schedule.
    I actually did the SoS stuff a couple months back to see if the Browns could Browns themselves out of the #1 pick(they could have but didn't). And basically now that the season is over looking at preseason SoS calculations is pointless. The 49s had the hardest SoS mostly because Arizona was 13-3(7-8-1), Seattle was 10-6(10-5-1), the Rams were 7-9(4-12) in 2015 (2016), and they had a game against the 15-1(6-10) Panthers.

Clearly the teams they actually played in their division this year, were substantially worse than the teams people thought they would be playing. Just the difference in performance by their divisional opponents, drops 18 wins off their opponents, putting them down in like 19th Panthers drop another 9 off putting them in last. Obviously some other teams they played gained wins, but since you play your division twice that drop off had a huge effect..

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/2/14147148/2017-nfl-strength-of-schedule-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Has the final numbers.

Team Rank Opp Win %
    Oakland(#2) 0.576
    KC(#4) 0.564
    MIA(#6) 0.547
    NYG(#9) 0.535
    Dal(#10) 0.531
    NE(#12) 0.527
    ATL(#16) 0.494
    SEA(#19) 0.482
    GB(#20) 0.480
    DET(#23) 0.469
    PIT (#27) 0.453
    HOU(#30) 0.439

SF was #14 at .502 Opp winning % the last team playing against over 500 competition, Denver was #1(0.578), Indy was #32(0.424).

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Does the addictive nature of gambling/fantasy blind us to the lopsided competition,

Since I do neither, no.

And it doesn't seem like you're too invested in the game either. Or as invested as the league would like you to be! Football!

• Options

The Patriots don't play like any other team in the league and haven't for almost 2 decades.

They're actually kind of utilitarian and spartan, to be honest. But they've shut down the best receivers and runningbacks in the league time and time again, week after week, year after year. They have the 2nd best ranked secondary in the league behind the Broncos, despite not having any standout superstars.

And just like that, they'll do a flea-flicker and get a 40 yd td on your ass when you ain't looking.

No, they don't have the flash-bang brilliance of the Falcons, and yeah this is easily the hardest team the Pats have faced all year. But I also firmly believe the opposite to be true.

I've mentioned it before, but not sure if I stated this fact:
    You can better predict a teams defensive output by looking at coaches averages than players. Defense is where coaching has tremendous impact. So your statement above is very true and a causative indicator of this would be how much better the Patriots defensive coordination and preparedness is. Signal stealing never hurts a defenses output either. ;)

I'm not gonna argue that the Patriots have the best front office and coaching staff in the game. That's a fools errand. What I'm interested in talking about is why, and how come all of the prodigal sons of Belichick have had such poor track records after leaving the team. It really is bizarre how dominant the Patriots have been with Belichick. It's why I won't argue with him being the GOAT in the most skilled position in football, I just am impatient for the post retirement revelations on HOW. And how much truth and rules bending it took.

• Options

You can better predict a teams defensive output by looking at coaches averages than players. Defense is where coaching has tremendous impact. So your statement above is very true and a causative indicator of this would be how much better the Patriots defensive coordination and preparedness is. Signal stealing never hurts a defenses output either. ;)

I'm not gonna argue that the Patriots have the best front office and coaching staff in the game. That's a fools errand. What I'm interested in talking about is why, and how come all of the prodigal sons of Belichick have had such poor track records after leaving the team. It really is bizarre how dominant the Patriots have been with Belichick. It's why I won't argue with him being the GOAT in the most skilled position in football, I just am impatient for the post retirement revelations on HOW. And how much truth and rules bending it took.

The signal stealing didn't do the Jets any favors.

I can't answer as to why they didn't do as well outside of his coaching umbrella, but if we're going to speculate on conspiracy theories and ufo stories then I think I'll see myself out.

• Options

The signal stealing didn't do the Jets any favors.

I can't answer as to why they didn't do as well outside of his coaching umbrella, but if we're going to speculate on conspiracy theories and ufo stories then I think I'll see myself out.

Dude, you make it entirely too fun for people to bash the Patriots, you're just gonna keep getting taunted about the rule bending the Patriots very much have done with reactions like that. It isn't even technically against the rules to signal steal, depending on what degree of espionage/action is taken to intercept said signals. It's why every coordinating coach on the sidelines has their clipboard and covers their lips when they're talking playcalls or strategy.

• Options

Since I do neither, no.

And it doesn't seem like you're too invested in the game either.

Really not sure where you're getting that from.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Bill OBrian has been doing a fine job in Houston. 3rd year coaching, made play offs 2 years in a row....
    I mean, Texans arent great, but not bad either.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Since I do neither, no.

And it doesn't seem like you're too invested in the game either.

Really not sure where you're getting that from.

Because I haven't seen you post much in this thread recently or engage with the conversation I was trying to have about the game, rather then some semantical tangent.

With the statement you edited to quote from context was rhetorical, I was wondering if the vested interests in the league has let the NFL coast in recent times, and offered those as possible reasons for why. The league is very heavily invested in fantasy sports, and the appearance of impartiality that suits gambling endeavors, even if you personally are not.

MadCaddy on
This discussion has been closed.